Cassian Andor - Star Wars Live Action series

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
https://www.starwars.com/news/cassian-andor-live-action-series-announced
starwars.com said:
Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger announced today that Lucasfilm is in development on a second Star Wars live-action series for Disney+, the Company’s new direct-to-consumer streaming service. The series, which will go into production next year, follows the adventures of rebel spy Cassian Andor during the formative years of the Rebellion and prior to the events of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Diego Luna will reprise the role of Andor. “Going back to the Star Wars universe is very special for me,” said Luna. “I have so many memories of the great work we did together and the relationships I made throughout the journey. We have a fantastic adventure ahead of us, and this new exciting format will give us the chance to explore this character more deeply.”

The rousing spy thriller will explore tales filled with espionage and daring missions to restore hope to a galaxy in the grip of a ruthless Empire. A release date for the series has not yet been announced. Stay tuned to StarWars.com for the latest updates.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I mean, I like him plenty myself. I'm just seeing less reason to do this than there was to do "Solo" -- and I saw zero need for even that.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
If I had to guess, they're testing the ability to have their, "A Star Wars Story" films act essentially as a launch episode for a live-action series, sort of the way like how Clone Wars started out with a movie. I figure that with "Solo" not doing quite as strongly, but people loving the individual characters, this might be a way for them to grow the stories around those times in ways that're interesting that even follow-up films wouldn't be able to.

If this series tests well, I'd be willing to bet that we'd get a series following Qi'ra and Crimson Dawn – since that'd also overcome the difficulties of occasionally having a few villain-focused episodes for Maul, which is a perspective that they've done in a series but never in a film (which I tl;dr'd about in the Solo thread).

X:neo:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Something else that I'd completely forgotten about that I was just reminded by on Twitter that suddenly made EVERYTHING click:

Cassian was also one of the various rebel agents who utilized the title Fulcrum. That means that there're a damned good number of ways for a story focused on him to potentially connect to some of the other threads that we've seen before. Following someone who's somewhat in a grey operating area as a spy also means giving us a way to hook into other criminal elements to help establish the when/where it takes place and what else is going on. Getting a look at what those other things might've been doing around that time is interesting. As a reminder for how many years the current shows' events take place.

• Solo: 10-13 BBY
  • Rebels: 5 BBY
  • Rogue One: 0 BBY
The show taking place during the formative years of the Rebellion means that we're almost certain to be looking at something before Rebels takes place. This means that there's a possibility to pull in what happened with the little rag-tag cell lead by Enfys Nest in Solo since it's one of the earliest formations of the rebellion that we've seen, and we know that Benthic is one of her fellow Cloud-Riders. Since that's on the table, it means potentially getting a look at what Saw Geurrera is doing as well, since that's a specific connective thread to the main story in Rogue One that would be good to see the groundwork on, especially when it comes to the differing ideologies of the various Rebel cells before they start to unite into a more cohesive Rebellion.

Since Saw Guerrera and Enfy Nest are connected in the early Rebellion, that means that we're also likely to see what Crimson Dawn is up to, since they're an ascending power in the criminal underworld and primarily who the Cloud-Riders were working against. That means that potentially Qi'ra and Maul come attached with that, AND given the lightsaber Maul is wielding in Solo, it means that we're also already looking at a point in time when he's being hunted by the Inquisitors and the Empire, so there's plenty of opportunity for enemy-of-my-enemy moments. Especially since Clone Wars' final season is going to finally address the Siege of Mandalore, we're likely to get some additional background on Mandalore that'll serve to give development for both Maul as well as the other series The Mandalorian, but ALSO to the other main Clone Wars character we know is present at that time: Ahsoka.

And, it just so happens that at some point between those points of time, Ahsoka also joins up with the Rebellion and assumes the Fulcrum title. It's worth noting that Cassian's role as Fulcrum was as a Rebel recruiter in the Albarrio sector where the banking clans operate. Assuming that we're looking at sort of scrappy rag-tag factions growing and struggling against the oppression of the Empire, Crimson Dawn and the Rebellion seem to exist in close proximity to just about everything that's been established thus far.

It also feels like (depending on when The Mandalorian is set), it feels like they're building to have a Live Action series that exists in the gap between Episode III & IV as well as between episodes VI & VII so that they can start to pull in little pieces of things in the animated series into a live action series that's likely to appeal to the ultra-bitchy, "bla bla bla, for kids bla bla bla" side of the fandom as a way to quietly diffuse that hostility towards the other shows, especially since they'll all exist together on one platform. Additionally, leading with Diego Luna as Cassian lets them not only jumpstart with a solid minority lead, but he's also the sort of Han Solo-esque rogue character people love, while pulling him from the film that didn't get his with controversy – not to mention he's almost certainly gonna be accompanied by K-2SO who's one of the best damn droids ever (in his wonderful slightly-less-violent-but-still-charming way like HK-47 was back in Legends).

The more I dig around at what they've got to leverage here, the more that this seems like it's absolutely fucking genius from just about every possible angle.

X :neo:

wander

‪‫‬‭ ‮
Sure. Who cares about the Old Republic right? :awesome:

Disney will put Star Wars in its grave.

Which isn't a bad thing, if only Alien and Predator would join it. Then maybe we could tap into the vast amount of great science fiction that exists beyond them, like Ringworld or The Forever War to name but two.

inb4 some pedantic pissant tells me SW is science fantasy. I'm just saying if we're in space it doesn't have to be a galaxy far, far way or involve aliens who don't look fresh any more because CGI ruined it and the cat is out of the fucking bag anyway. Two mouths and toothy-vagina-from-hell-face, respctively. we know, big woop.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
It's definitely space fantasy and science fiction. :awesomonster:

Also, the EU didn't put Star Wars in its grave with all of the ridiculous things that happened there, you're high if you think that Disney's gonna kill the franchise with what it's currently doing.

Insofar as KotOR is concerned, it's definitely a good era of Star Wars to tell stories and it's popular as hell, but I don't see them tapping into that legacy until the Skywalker Saga is wrapped with Episode IX, and there's a reason to depart from the current concentration of building development up-to and around the post-RotJ era. Insofar as the 9-episode Skywalker Saga is concerned, the gaps between III & IV and VI & VII are the unexplored territory that hold the most value for that story, so that's where we're seeing most media focused, because it ties in to characters that they can actively use in multiple places at once. That's especially important when it comes to actors for live-action series, since portraying them the way they are in the films is easiest by having them play those parts while they're still the same age (although Disney is very much making strides on the anti-aging technology in their films).

Either way, the Old Republic is an era of Star Wars that's going to need to take its own time and space if they want to do it properly, and it doesn't make sense to cram in yet another era of Star Wars to fight for space and time among everything else right now. There've been plenty of seeds planted about that time/era with things like the massacre on Malachor and the "final" resting place of the Sith and Darth Bane on Moraband, but putting a focal point for diving backwards into that history needs to have its own time to stand out from everything else. I'd bet that after Episode IX and some of the current shows that're just kicking off have had a few seasons, we'll see where they land with the other films and when it makes sense to give that absolutely massive sandbox its own room to breathe.

X :neo:

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
‘Black Mirror’s Toby Haynes To Direct ‘Rogue One’ Spin-Off Series At Disney+ As Tony Gilroy Steps Aside As Director.

Deadline.com said:
EXCLUSIVE: As Disney+ prepares to start production on its new Rogue One spinoff series, it will be doing so with a new director as sources tell Deadline Toby Haynes will helm the first three episodes, replacing Tony Gilroy.

Sources say Gilroy dropped off as director for COVID-19-related travel reasons. Gilroy lives in New York and had to make a decision quickly on whether he would head over to the UK for the shoot; in the end, he thought it would be best that he stay in New York and have Haynes take over his directing duties.

Haynes already was high on the list of directors who would helm future episodes and since he also already was in the UK, all parties thought this would make the most sense. Gilroy will stay very much involved with the series as exec producer and showrunner.

The series centers on the Cassian Andor character (Diego Luna, reprising his role from the film) and is in pre-production with plans to start shooting next month. Adria Arjona, Denise Gough, Genevieve O’Reilly, Stellan Skarsgard and Kyle Soller also are in the cast.

A Disney spokesperson declined to comment.

The untitled show focuses on Rebel agent Andor prior to the events of Rogue One in the early days of the bebellion against the Empire. The show had been described as a “spy thriller” when plans for it first were revealed last year. It also was previously announced that Luna would return as Andor, while Alan Tudyk is set to reprise his role as K-2SO, Andor’s droid sidekick.

Following the huge success of The Mandalorian, Disney+ has ramped its development on other Star Wars series, which include this one, a second season of The Mandalorian and a series focused on young Obi Wan-Kenobi with Ewan McGregor reprising the role.

Haynes has been on a roll as of late, which started with directing the Emmy-winning Black Mirror episode “U.S.S. Callister,” starring Jesse Plemons. The special had a Star Trek-meets-Twilight Zone feel and is a fan favorite. He followed that up by directing the HBO movie Brexit starring Benedict Cumberbatch and also has the highly anticipated Amazon series Utopia, which premieres this Friday.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Me when this was announced: "Who asked for this? Andor? Throwaway character from Rogue One?? Who cares???"

Well I'm always happy when creators give me something I didn't know I wanted and this is it lmao

Like, this is WAY better than it has any right to be
This is really, really compelling stuff and feels so different from any other Star Wars content

Obi-Wan felt like absolute amateur hour in comparison

Everyone go watch this

Top Bottom