• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Remake Interviews: Catch-all Thread

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I began to read but then stopped. I decided I clearly live in an alternate reality; no matter what Ody, YOU said you wanted shippers to not have what they wanted, but I'll get my GS date, my Northern Crater, my Lifestream scene and my Cloud and Tifa making out under the Highwind (IDK why people wouldn't want that tbh!). I am certainly not sure about the craziest theories I've read those past days at TLS tho, and that includes Genesis other than in some VR form (to what? Make us die of boredom with his lines?).
It was just a joke about how Twitter will keep squabbling no matter what lol. You'll probably get your Cloti scenes.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
You referenced "Another Side, Another Story." That was the KH1 Final Mix secret movie in 2002. The writers had to have known there was a sequel coming to release that in the director's cut re-release, especially since KH Chain of Memories was then announced and showcased along with a teaser for KH2 back at the Tokyo Game Show 2003 on September 26.
There was a version of the secret movie even in the original release, not just in final mix. The final mix version is extended. When KH1 was being made they didn't know they'd get a sequel, but its success quickly led to approval for one. My point is that they've done these secret movies without surefire plans before. Heck, Crisis Core's secret ending was supposed to be a nudge to square about a remake, but that didn't come to fruition for years afterwards.

You sure you're not thinking of the very first KH secret movie that was released in the original?
Guess do. I thought that was the name of the original and the final mix version was different, but I must be remembering wrong.

Anyways, yeah Nomura had the Remake in mind back in CC, but how would that be tied all the way to Dirge of Cerberus when it was the future post-AC?
CC and Dirge were developed in tandem, shown by Genesis being made as the link between them, and even Crisis Core materials imply there's more for Genesis to do, so it's not unreasonable to assume they're not done with him. I can't get in Nomura's brain so I can't prove that, but it's possible is the point.

not that I "don't know games are made" but I'm pointing out the fact that you're making a huge assumption that the meaning or purpose of this scene is that. I already pointed out the prospect of there being a sequel post-DC was an "if", not "when" meaning there was some idea. But to somehow assume it was the Remake proper is a huge leap in speculation itself.
Let me try to clear up my point. I don't think that scene was made to tease him appearing in remake. I don't think they knew cosplaying Gackt was gonna time travel into the past when they filmed that. It's why I keep bringing up the KH secret movie, because those are similar in intent. It's a concept more than a fully fledged idea. The concept being that there is more to be done with this character yet. Me tying it in to Remake's time shenanigans is my way of rationalizing how it could be relevant to the plot in a way that's at least consistent with what's going on. Despite what you keep insisting, I really doubt the devs forgot about this scene or what they said about it. It comes up basically every time Genesis gets a detailed character profile. Heck, that version of Fenesis even snuck his way onto that cool Dirge promo art, so I have a lot of reason to think they considered the whole thing important. Basically, if the do bring in Genesis again, which I think they will, it would probably be the post-Dirge version even though that's not really the most logically sound or necessary way to do it.
Oh I am aware. And that's exactly my point. It was abandoned. Why do you think that is? If they had this nebulous idea over Genesis but then abandoned it and then they come back to FFVII in 2015 and it's no longer even being used, referenced or hyped.. What does that imply?
Like, Dirge is getting the Ever Crisis treatment at the very least, and I doubt they'd remove the scene. I personally think you're underestimating how well these devs know their work and how careful they were to tie it all together. Like, yeah, if the Re- series wraps up with no Gackt then I was wrong, so be it. I just think you're too hasty in assuming that the devs aren't gonna play with all the toys the made for themselves. Leslie Kyle and Kyrie are both much more obscure than Genesis, and they got roles in remake (granted, more nice clean logical roles than what I'm proposing lol).

Because Before Crisis was a main entry in the Compilation which featured the main characters, and featured the important event of Avalanche vs Shinra. Like, it was a huge deal given it's context. This was a whole game, not commentary from an interview which featured some of the concepts they had over a likely dropped potential sequel that would have happened post-DC.
It's all ff7 to them, is my point. Minor scene or unplayable phone game.

The phrase, "rising the curtain on the final act" is a common saying/expression for a climactic event or confrontation.
Yeah so it's just a coincidence that same phrasing was used with this one character who just so happened to be relevant in both instances. Sure. Because Weiss' VR battle is such a big climactic moment lol.

have an opinion. That's not insecure, that's.. An opinion I'm backing up. How is it condescending? I'm not the one calling folks "braindead" here, am
You act like everyone is insane for not agreeing with you about things and functionality screaming your beliefs over everyone else's to the point where discussing things around here is a pain and people don't bother. This whole excerize was to see how long you'd keep going, because at least one person needs to try to out stubborn you. I know I'm not alone in getting frustrated when talking to you, though yeah I definitely lost my temper last night.

Emphasis mine. It's also described as a "seal" several other times within that same interview.
.If you actually read the post you quoted, you'll see I said he let himself be sealed.
Gonna let Cold speak for me on this one.

Translation #1:
Genesis seals himself in the flooded chamber of his own volition.

Translation #2:
Genesis voluntarily sealed himself away in a water prison.

Mako:
He was sealed away by Shinra.

Incredible.

There's no indication Shinra was involved. You're just adding that to support your argument. Yes they had Weiss and Nero capture him at the end of CC, but that was after his battle with Zack and he was exhausted. By all accounts, he walked out of Deepground shortly after and disappeared, and Shinra covered up his existence.

you're going to just ad hominem attack someone for an opinion, it'd make sense to at least have a reason why. Claiming other people have trolled by calling Genesis an actual hero when his entire crux of character was him vaingloriously pursuing the superficial celebrity status that Sephiroth achieved does not make someone "self important." Nor was that even in reference to you, so what are you even talking about?
It's your arrogant attitude. I don't think you're coming off that way on purpose but you do. I know Round is trolling most of the time but I'm friggin not, but you insist I must be. It's irritating. Like, you say it's not in reference to me but it really came off that way.

You know....Hitoshura made those translations, so if you're going to insult someone's hard work, you should at least know who did it first. You should actually tell him that rather than just insulting it behind his back.
Yeah that was uncalled for, I'm sorry.

Still, the translation definitely colored your opinion, so the clarification was necessary.
mean, maybe. It's "allowing him" to fulfill his self appointed role by not stopping him, and yes the Lifestream did heal him. But it's pretty clear he was rebuked by Minerva in the scene where he's cured.
No, it's not clear she "rebuked" him. Everyone I talked to about this in my exhausted stuppor yesterday made it seem like the exact opposite happened. He was given a chance to be the hero he wanted to be, and now serves the planet. That's what happened in that scene.

And yes, he received Gillian's cells which incorporated the genetic factors of Jenova. That's not the same thing as having actual Jenova cells. This was actually discussed at length before. Genesis doesn't carry Jenova cells, his body has incorporated it's abilities and genetic factors but he's not a true Jenova spawn like Sephiroth, because he wasn't created like Sephiroth. Hence the reason his cells degrade. They can't handle that kind of power.
Okay this might be accurate I don't know. I also don't know how we got on this topic or why it matters to the "will Genesis return" discussion lol.
who captured Genesis and covered up his existence?
Nobody captured him, he left on his own and went into a self imposed isolation. Shinra covered him up out of embarrassment I guess.
And why is he below Midgar?
Because he was in the area when he left. If Shinra captured him he'd be in a tube or cage, not a random cave with no signs of Shinra lol.

If Shinra didn't know or have a hand in it, why would the G Reports state that he "slumbers below Midgar?"
Because they know that's where he went and they just decided to leave well enough alone?

Why do the G Reports claim Zack was sent on a mission to subdue him while in reality Zack was on the run when that happened?

Reactions: LNK

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Okay, to drag this thread kicking and screaming back on topic (maybe the genesis war shouldbe moved tobits own thread), Nomura and Kitase did an interview with a German publication called PCGames
https://www.pcgames.de/Crisis-Core-...x-Remake-Remaster-PC-PS5-Switch-Xbox-1398652/

Google translate:

PC Games: So the new Crisis Core is tied to the original Final Fantasy 7 but not the remake?

Kitase & Nomura: That's a tough question to answer because of course we haven't revealed everything there is to reveal about the Final Fantasy 7 Remake trilogy. The question implies that the original Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy 7 Remake do not exist in the same timeline, and the truth is, we still have mysteries in that regard that we haven't revealed yet.
How the story ends up, where it's going, is a huge mystery, so I can't give you a direct answer. However: Crisis Core's story is relevant to the original Final Fantasy 7, it takes place in the same timeline, but it is also relevant and part of the remake trilogy's timeline.
So the games are not independent of each other. Unfortunately, I can't go into more detail at the moment without spoilers.

Kitase: The core principle of our game is different from that of Final Fantasy 7 Remake. We're not changing the story that fans love so much. She is exactly the same. So I think there are no changes that might bother people.

PC Games: The Crisis Core story, or rather the connection between Zack and Cloud Strife, is a pretty big spoiler for Final Fantasy 7. Do you have any concerns about this, especially with regard to the possibility of a plot twist in Final Fantasy? 7 Rebirth and the third part of the remake trilogy, shouldn't the story differ greatly from the original in this respect?

Nomura: I'm not really concerned that this could be a spoiler. The original Final Fantasy 7 has existed for many years, the first part of the remake has existed too, a lot of people know the twist you mention. Of course, for those fans who weren't introduced to Final Fantasy 7 until the remake, there are aspects of Crisis Core that touch on elements that didn't appear in the first installment of the remake trilogy.
But I think that might even be something that makes fans want to know more about how the story continues in Rebirth and the final part of the trilogy. Logically, we haven't revealed whether and if so to what extent the connection between Zack and Cloud has changed in the remake. So I'm not too worried about spoilers, people will want to find out more about the characters and what's going to happen to them after Crisis Core, even if they know the twist.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
There was a version of the secret movie even in the original release, not just in final mix. The final mix version is extended. When KH1 was being made they didn't know they'd get a sequel, but its success quickly led to approval for one. My point is that they've done these secret movies without surefire plans before. Heck, Crisis Core's secret ending was supposed to be a nudge to square about a remake, but that didn't come to fruition for years afterwards.

Yes, that's definitely the original, shorter KH secret movie. The final mix one is specifically labeled "Another Side, Another Story" which was more solidified and based on their plans for continued games in the series. But yes, they do make secret teaser movies/trailers on concepts not necessarily guaranteed or fleshed out. And I can see that element within the DC one, however I was focusing more on it's connection (or rather implied connection) to it's following work, CC. Because it was there and in development.

Let me try to clear up my point. I don't think that scene was made to tease him appearing in remake. I don't think they knew cosplaying Gackt was gonna time travel into the past when they filmed that. It's why I keep bringing up the KH secret movie, because those are similar in intent. It's a concept more than a fully fledged idea. The concept being that there is more to be done with this character yet. Me tying it in to Remake's time shenanigans is my way of rationalizing how it could be relevant to the plot in a way that's at least consistent with what's going on. Despite what you keep insisting, I really doubt the devs forgot about this scene or what they said about it. It comes up basically every time Genesis gets a detailed character profile. Heck, that version of Fenesis even snuck his way onto that cool Dirge promo art, so I have a lot of reason to think they considered the whole thing important. Basically, if the do bring in Genesis again, which I think they will, it would probably be the post-Dirge version even though that's not really the most logically sound or necessary way to do it.

Okay, fair enough. That makes more sense, although I don't think Genesis's use needs to necessarily hinge on that particular secret movie trailer or anything. But they can still draw from it conceptually and/or thematically.

For instance, my example with actually having him show up in the present, in person in Midgar. Although I'm not really a fan of this, there actually is a way to make it work canonically, thematically and meaningfully. By having him be an optional boss and unique event that's encountered either during the raid on Midgar OR, (and I literally just thought of this) a unique episode/scenario that takes place during the evacuation of Midgar. If they were gonna use Genesis in an extended capacity, this would be the best spot. The part of FFVII shown during the DC opening.

We already know from that opening and the 10th Anniversary Ultimania, that Vincent and Yuffie helped evacuate civilians shortly before Meteorfall, so... What if during that whole affair Vincent (and maybe Yuffie or just... whoever) discovered a path deep beneath Midgar that led to a hidden area that looked suspiciously like the cave from the secret movie? And because of their intrusion, the group encounters "G" in his DC appearance, and scrap with him, because he at first believes they're the source of the cries of the planet he's heard in his sleep? Afterwards G stops, recognizes their strength & purpose, and ominously warns them that if they dig too deep within Midgar, they'll find a veritable nest of "monsters." From there he assists them in their fight by giving them say.... The Minerva summon materia which he feels wants to help them, and resolves to sleep some more. Because he must still must play the role of the "Prisoner" for a little while longer before he can finish his atonement and move to the next act of his role to helping the Planet. An allusion to him awakening 3 years later. This would be fleshed out to whatever role they had in mind for him in DC's future and would be the tie-in to what was implied there so it no longer is mysterious. We'd know thanks to the chance encounter that occured right before Meteorfall. And it'd explain why he didn't wake up; he actually did but because of feeling it wasn't his time and the Planet was not ready for him, he remained the "Prisoner" in LOVELESS's story, and resolved to wait a bit longer to atone.

Now, that was just off the top of my head but I think it shows there's far more space for Genesis to actually show up and have it make sense in the present versus trying to make the secret movie directly connect via time travel. There's just way more room for it, and it definitely utilizes him in a meaningful way, while showing how he'd relate to that secret movie too.

I personally think you're underestimating how well these devs know their work and how careful they were to tie it all together. Like, yeah, if the Re- series wraps up with no Gackt then I was wrong, so be it. I just think you're too hasty in assuming that the devs aren't gonna play with all the toys the made for themselves. Leslie Kyle and Kyrie are both much more obscure than Genesis, and they got roles in remake (granted, more nice clean logical roles than what I'm proposing lol).

My issue was that, I didn't think they would place that much importance on that singular movie to the point they'd feel the need to directly connect it to the Remake. It's not that Genesis is unimportant or he's forgotten about. I just think the writers, if they were going to try to nod to it, would do it in a way that's more subtle. They'd link to it within the confines of the setting, not treat it as this huge thing that demands an answer. I've always said I think Genesis will get some acknowledgement, just not something outsized or distracting to the main theme/story.

Yeah so it's just a coincidence that same phrasing was used with this one character who just so happened to be relevant in both instances. Sure. Because Weiss' VR battle is such a big climactic moment lol.

I mean, I'm not trying to be a smartass or flippant but yes. I really do think it's a coincidence. It's a very common expression, especially in fiction. Now, I do sorta get how one can make the connection given Weiss's presence and connection to Genesis but... I don't think that was the intention. Especially since there's no Genesis mention in Intermission. Let me reiterate that I'm not saying Genesis will never be acknowledged or appear, I just don't think it's connected there.

You act like everyone is insane for not agreeing with you about things and functionality screaming your beliefs over everyone else's to the point where discussing things around here is a pain and people don't bother. This whole excerize was to see how long you'd keep going, because at least one person needs to try to out stubborn you. I know I'm not alone in getting frustrated when talking to you, though yeah I definitely lost my temper last night.

I can be flippant while I have fun in debates over this, but I'm not insulting you or anyone. I like to poke fun at the topic and get into it, but that's just how I am. There's no malice and I certainly am not trying to insult someone's intelligence over a video game topic here. I simply get colorful in my language and in terms of stubbornness, well. I enjoy posting, what can I say? I thrive off this. I can tell you were taking my attitude in a way I didn't intend so I got more serious and composed in my replies given the situation, so I'm sorry for rubbing you wrong with my replies. It was only in fun.

It's your arrogant attitude. I don't think you're coming off that way on purpose but you do. I know Round is trolling most of the time but I'm friggin not, but you insist I must be. It's irritating. Like, you say it's not in reference to me but it really came off that way.

No I didn't think you were trolling, and that's my mistake for not making my point there clear. I was speaking generally about those who do try to say Genesis is a hero and think he's wholly good or something. I'm not trying to come off arrogant at all, it's just when I have an opinion or position, I can be frank with it.

There's no indication Shinra was involved. You're just adding that to support your argument. Yes they had Weiss and Nero capture him at the end of CC, but that was after his battle with Zack and he was exhausted. By all accounts, he walked out of Deepground shortly after and disappeared, and Shinra covered up his existence.

Nobody captured him, he left on his own and went into a self imposed isolation. Shinra covered him up out of embarrassment I guess.

So, the G Reports are written by an unidentified Shinra associate who seemingly assisted the design/construction/etc of early Midgar per G Report 3 ("being one of the few who was involved in their construction, I know all too well of the vast caverns that sprawl deep beneath our city's
streets"). Furthermore, Genesis was taken into custody by Nero and Weiss. Given that the writers stated in the CC Ultimania Scenario Q&A that when Genesis was asked to assist Nero and Weiss in their rebellion he "rejects it and decides to have himself sealed in the water-filled chamber below Midgar," I think you can see why I'd believe Shinra was responsible or at least a participant in his sealing.

Nero and Weiss captured Genesis. He's below Shinra's capital city. However, there's another piece of evidence... In FFVII-R Hojo specifically makes reference to utilizing members of SOLDIER as potential mating candidates for Aerith, "including S and G types."

Now...There is a very small number of living G type SOLDIERs during the time of FFVII. For clarification, a G-Type SOLDIER is:

In fact, the number is so small, there's actually one. Angeal is dead. Hollander is dead. There's only one G-Type SOLDIER Hojo could possibly be referring to in this scene.

Genesis.

Hojo clearly has knowledge and access to Genesis. He put him forth as a possible SOLDIER candidate for Aerith's...breeding. Clearly implying Genesis is in their custody.

Between all of that information, I don't know why Genesis wouldn't be assumed under the watch and sealing of Shinra. He's accessible to Hojo and the Science Department, G's awareness permeates through certain pockets of Shinra, and he was captured by two of the strongest Tsviets of Deepground. Now, Genesis may have let himself be sealed away by putting forth no resistance, but he's clearly in their custody. If anything, the FFVII Remake confirmed it with certainty.

Why do the G Reports claim Zack was sent on a mission to subdue him while in reality Zack was on the run when that happened?

The report doesn't list Zack by name. And technically speaking, Zack's last major mission as a SOLDIER 1-C before the fated Nibelheim Incident, was the subjugation of Genesis. Before Zack's last record would list him as being KIA, that would have been one of his last major misssions given the entire Nibelheim Incident would be expunged from the record. G-Report 2 either refers to Zack or... The unidentified "SOLDIER 1-Cs" who picked up Genesis in Banora.

Still, the translation definitely colored your opinion, so the clarification was necessary.

Well, it's definitely informative because yeah. That's a new perspective on it I hadn't heard before.

No, it's not clear she "rebuked" him. Everyone I talked to about this in my exhausted stuppor yesterday made it seem like the exact opposite happened. He was given a chance to be the hero he wanted to be, and now serves the planet. That's what happened in that scene.

For clarification, we're talking about the scene where Genesis meets Minerva, right?

Because at 0:24, Minerva goes from looking at Genesis to closing and averting her eyes from him. That's a reproachful expression; turning one's gaze away from someone, as if not wanting to look at them. It conveys disappointment or disapproval in some form. It's why Genesis looks surprised and dismayed at 0:32 and then finally is seemingly pushed away into the darkness before poofing into Lifestream and back into the living world.

That is why I say she "rebuked" him. He was cured and given a second chance, but clearly Minerva found something disappointing.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
It was just a joke about how Twitter will keep squabbling no matter what lol. You'll probably get your Cloti scenes.

It's just no matter what, I'm tired that shippers are seen as less than dirt. We just want our favourite characters to interact meaningfully, tbh, no matter the side. Yes a portion of the shipping community is way deep, and I say that as a pretty hardcore cloti who doesn't engage anywhere else than in this forum, but I get it. It's a defence mechanism, on both sides, which doesn't allow anything else than go deeper instead of stopping to calmly analyse.

But to throw shade on the whole shipping community when it's really a tiny portion that interact like this is... tiring. I mean it's not against you, but it's always, everywhere. And quite frankly, to me the shipping is only a part of FFVII, the devs have put it there for fans to enjoy, so being told endlessly that I shouldn't is seriously grating on my nerves. It's rare for me to actually ship, to me it's a proof that something was written well enough to touch me. And trust me, when I started the OG, I was far from being a shipper, I even wondered how come Cloud had 2 girls after him when he was such an arsehole (obviously I wasn't impressed by him). Romance is often a part of a story, in FFVII moreso with Cloud and Tifa's stories being so intimately tied, it's a bit disingenuous to pretend that if you ship you're crazy. Especially when I see all the theories that go really, really far away that the theory side is getting away with, all while saying that the devs are obviously lying, have been since the start.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I was focusing more on it's connection (or rather implied connection) to it's following work, CC. Because it was there and in development.
The thing that makes it different to me was because "G" was made for Dirge, then seemingly incorporated into CC to flesh him out, rather than "G" being made to tease Crisis Core specifically. This coupled with the cliffhanger nature of the sequence and multiple statements regarding Genesis still having work to do in the CCU lead me to believe "being in Crisis Core" was ever the actual full intent of the character.

Whether those plans will be tied into Remake or be left abandoned is to be seen, this is all speculation on my part beyond here.
For instance, my example with actually having him show up in the present, in person in Midgar. Although I'm not really a fan of this, there actually is a way to make it work canonically, thematically and meaningfully. By having him be an optional boss and unique event that's encountered either during the raid on Midgar OR, (and I literally just thought of this) a unique episode/scenario that takes place during the evacuation of Midgar. If they were gonna use Genesis in an extended capacity, this would be the best spot. The part of FFVII shown during the DC opening.
The main reason I even keep bringing up time travel at all is because, due to his lifestream connections, it'd give precedent for him to be doing whatever though transference stuff Aerith is seemingly doing and allow him to have a deeper knowledge of what's going on than the party does, allowing him to be the aloof secondary antagonist for a while, if even that much. I imagine him being like Magus from Chrono Trigger in that regard but not as cool. This is all just an idea I had though, one that mostly plays by established rules of the Remake. And I don't think shoving him in would be especially disruptive. He could be a one-chapter boss like Roche, not some big name main character. He even could show up during Midgar like you keep suggesting, that'd be fine, I just don't agree with you that that's the only way it could happen.
We already know from that opening and the 10th Anniversary Ultimania, that Vincent and Yuffie helped evacuate civilians shortly before Meteorfall
There is actually a comical amount of conflicting statements for when this scene happens. Case of Shinra has it shortly after the Hojo battle lol. This isn't a knock on you, I'm just curious where Remake would land with it if they adapt the scene.
What if during that whole affair Vincent (and maybe Yuffie or just... whoever) discovered a path deep beneath Midgar that led to a hidden area that looked suspiciously like the cave from the secret movie? And because of their intrusion, the group encounters "G" in his DC appearance, and scrap with him, because he at first believes they're the source of the cries of the planet he's heard in his sleep? Afterwards G stops, recognizes their strength & purpose, and ominously warns them that if they dig too deep within Midgar, they'll find a veritable nest of "monsters." From there he assists them in their fight by giving them say.... The Minerva summon materia which he feels wants to help them, and resolves to sleep some more. Because he must still must play the role of the "Prisoner" for a little while longer before he can finish his atonement and move to the next act of his role to helping the Planet. An allusion to him awakening 3 years later. This would be fleshed out to whatever role they had in mind for him in DC's future and would be the tie-in to what was implied there so it no longer is mysterious. We'd know thanks to the chance encounter that occured right before Meteorfall. And it'd explain why he didn't wake up; he actually did but because of feeling it wasn't his time and the Planet was not ready for him, he remained the "Prisoner" in LOVELESS's story, and resolved to wait a bit longer to atone.
That's a fine scenario if he doesn't play a big role. A Vincent/Yuffie DLC where he's involved could be fun. I personally just think he's been too set up for a big role for it to be something minor like that, but the main point here is that he's almost certainly going to appear in some capacity.
My issue was that, I didn't think they would place that much importance on that singular movie to the point they'd feel the need to directly connect it to the Remake. It's not that Genesis is unimportant or he's forgotten about. I just think the writers, if they were going to try to nod to it, would do it in a way that's more subtle. They'd link to it within the confines of the setting, not treat it as this huge thing that demands an answer. I've always said I think Genesis will get some acknowledgement, just not something outsized or distracting to the main theme/story.
For me it's because that's the chronologically last time we see him, so that's where they'd pick up with him. The undercurrent of our discussion is the conflicting view we have of what this project even is, where you think it's an alternate take on the OG, I think it will be the finale to tie all of FF7 together and send it off (because I don't think they're gonna make FFVII-2 afterwards lol). The fact we have future-roth in play is the main reason I believe this to be the case. Why bring in the latest version of him if not because this will be the final conflict? And much like the Genesis scene, future-roth is folllowing up on a scene that is chronologically after FF7, "I will never be a memory" in Advent Children, so that's more precedent unless you believe there will be a post-dirge game resolving that as well. Cloud has proven that hitting Sephiroth with a sword a bunch does not keep him down for good. He's already revived himself twice, with Remake's version seemingly being a third. Sending him packing into the lifestream a third time will not be a satisfying conclusion at this point, because we'd think he could always come back again. That's why I think another solution is needed, and Genesis may believe himself to be the answer. It'd give him a good reason to come into conflict with the party, because he'd see them as nuisances who can't finish the job. Ultimately he would be wrong and beaten aside so Cloud can solve the problem.

I mean, I'm not trying to be a smartass or flippant but yes. I really do think it's a coincidence. It's a very common expression, especially in fiction. Now, I do sorta get how one can make the connection given Weiss's presence and connection to Genesis but... I don't think that was the intention. Especially since there's no Genesis mention in Intermission. Let me reiterate that I'm not saying Genesis will never be acknowledged or appear, I just don't think it's connected there.
This one is pretty YMMV for now I guess. Until we know, it's just a "hmmm..." thing lol. I still think it is on purpose though.

So, the G Reports are written by an unidentified Shinra associate who seemingly assisted the design/construction/etc of early Midgar per G Report 3 ("being one of the few who was involved in their construction, I know all too well of the vast caverns that sprawl deep beneath our city's
streets"). Furthermore, Genesis was taken into custody by Nero and Weiss. Given that the writers stated in the CC Ultimania Scenario Q&A that when Genesis was asked to assist Nero and Weiss in their rebellion he "rejects it and decides to have himself sealed in the water-filled chamber below Midgar," I think you can see why I'd believe Shinra was responsible or at least a participant in his sealing.
Even if Shinra was involved, and I don't think they were, it's been stated on every occasion that it was a voluntary thing on his behalf, meaning he can probably be released whenever he wants. It's not like Shinra lets him out in DG's ending anyway, he just does it himself. Why would he want the help of the company who ruined his life, which he's been waging a war against for years? Shinra keeps their prisoners in cages and test tubes in labs, not in magic water barriers in secluded caves. That's a very "I am a magic man who works for the planet" thing to do imo.
Nero and Weiss captured Genesis. He's below Shinra's capital city. However, there's another piece of evidence... In FFVII-R Hojo specifically makes reference to utilizing members of SOLDIER as potential mating candidates for Aerith, "including S and G types."

Now...There is a very small number of living G type SOLDIERs during the time of FFVII. For clarification, a G-Type SOLDIER is:

In fact, the number is so small, there's actually one. Angeal is dead. Hollander is dead. There's only one G-Type SOLDIER Hojo could possibly be referring to in this scene.

Genesis.

Hojo clearly has knowledge and access to Genesis. He put him forth as a possible SOLDIER candidate for Aerith's...breeding. Clearly implying Genesis is in their custody.

Between all of that information, I don't know why Genesis wouldn't be assumed under the watch and sealing of Shinra. He's accessible to Hojo and the Science Department, G's awareness permeates through certain pockets of Shinra, and he was captured by two of the strongest Tsviets of Deepground. Now, Genesis may have let himself be sealed away by putting forth no resistance, but he's clearly in their custody. If anything, the FFVII Remake confirmed it with certainty.
Why would you assume Hojo doesn't have genetic samples of Genesis or Angeal like he does with Sephiroth and Ifalna? I also like the insinuation that "genesis is imprisoned in a cave below Midgar" is an important detail to remember but not the actual scene that concept arose from. Shinra doesn't have him imprisoned, it's clearly stated he sealed himself away. No reason to think otherwise but your speculation.

For clarification, we're talking about the scene where Genesis meets Minerva, right?

Because at 0:24, Minerva goes from looking at Genesis to closing and averting her eyes from him. That's a reproachful expression; turning one's gaze away from someone, as if not wanting to look at them. It conveys disappointment or disapproval in some form. It's why Genesis looks surprised and dismayed at 0:32 and then finally is seemingly pushed away into the darkness before poofing into Lifestream and back into the living world.

A Sudden Encounter with Minerva (296)
In Scene 10-06, Genesis has a sudden encounter with Minerva in a space overflowing with the Lifestream. The development staff was asked about the plans for the exchange between the two, and the answer was as follows.

"Minerva is like a summon, and Minerva's intentions are not the reason why Genesis survived. Minerva is an image whose actions and facial expressions reflect the intentions of the Lifestream.

"Genesis has reached a point where he is "not afraid of degradation and death" because he is determined to regain his SOLDIER Honor and fulfill his role of a SOLDIER. That is, Genesis is a state of "overcoming death". Genesis' strong will to "fulfill his role as a SOLDIER" was accepted by the Lifestream, which concluded, "Go fulfill it."

"Minerva's facial expression implies that the Lifestream has concluded "Genesis has not yet fulfilled his role as a SOLDIER", and that "something remains for Genesis to accomplish".

"In this way, Genesis "overcame death" with the intention of carrying out its [the Lifestream's] mission. And this is linked to the future actions of Genesis."
Bolded section is the part of the scene in question. You're interpreting it as a look of disapproval, but this seems to imply she's sending him away because he's got more work yet to do. He was all ready to embrace her, but she turns him away because it's not time yet, hence his look of disappointment.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
AKSHUALLY, Another Side, Another Story is the original one. The Final Mix one is the [deep dive] version :monster:

Ahh, you're right. That's the tagline for it.

Even if Shinra was involved, and I don't think they were, it's been stated on every occasion that it was a voluntary thing on his behalf, meaning he can probably be released whenever he wants. It's not like Shinra lets him out in DG's ending anyway, he just does it himself. Why would he want the help of the company who ruined his life, which he's been waging a war against for years? Shinra keeps their prisoners in cages and test tubes in labs, not in magic water barriers in secluded caves. That's a very "I am a magic man who works for the planet" thing to do imo.

Why would you assume Hojo doesn't have genetic samples of Genesis or Angeal like he does with Sephiroth and Ifalna? I also like the insinuation that "genesis is imprisoned in a cave below Midgar" is an important detail to remember but not the actual scene that concept arose from. Shinra doesn't have him imprisoned, it's clearly stated he sealed himself away. No reason to think otherwise but your speculation.

Hojo's not talking about using genetic samples of Genesis or Angeal. He's specifically speaking towards the goal of breeding Aerith. Here's the scene as a refresher at the point I'm referring to.

"If I may, Mr. President, I have an idea how we might mitigate the risks. Simply put, we could have the Ancient reproduce. In the absence of a second specimen, we would need to identify an alternative mate. I would start with candidates from SOLDIER. These would of course include S and G Types. Quite frankly, there is no telling what kind of properties a crossbred specimen might possess."

You can't breed with just a genetic sample in storage. Hojo says he intends to breed her with a mate. A candidate from SOLDIER. A candidate who could be either an S type, or a G type. And once again, there's only one G-Type SOLDIER around during FFVII.

I don't know what kind of seal or whatever that water cave is. Maybe it's some form of magic, or maybe it's just a containment zone adjacent to one of many underground laboratories kept under surveillance. But the fact is, Hojo implicitly refers to Genesis as a potential breeding mate for Aerith, which would imply he knows where he is and has some form of access to him to use as an experimental subject. All other details are unclear but that's what the scene in the Remake is showing us.

And to answer your other question, I don't think he's trying to help Shinra at all. It's him fulfilling the role of the "Prisoner" in the act of LOVELESS. He's going forward based on his interpretation of LOVELESS.

Interpretation of LOVELESS
Both in the world of the story and in the real world, people can
interpret the contents of LOVELESS in various ways. The following is
some of the answers we received from the development staff regarding
some interpretations of LOVELESS.

“Genesis likened himself to ‘the hero’ from LOVELESS, and by fighting
Zack attempted to ‘reenact LOVELESS’. In doing so, he hoped to receive
the ‘Gift of the Goddess’.

By fighting Zack, Genesis regained his pride as a SOLDIER, and is freed from the fear of death or degradation. This is because, as he has the wish to fulfil his duty as a SOLDIER, he reached a state where he no longer worried about degradation or death. In other words, through his fight with Zack, Genesis realised that his role wasn’t that of ‘the hero’ from LOVELESS, but by accepting the role of ‘the prisoner’ he received the ‘Gift of the Goddess’.

Therefore, it would be his ‘pride as a SOLDIER’, the impetus for his shift of values, which was the ‘Gift of the Goddess’ to Genesis. ‘Pride as SOLDIER’ is a concept which symbolizes Angeal’s will, so concluded that Zack, who had inherited Angeal’s will, was the ‘Gift of the Goddess’ for Genesis.

To digress a bit, but a line from LOVELESS (‘one took flight’, ‘one became a prisoner’, ‘one became a hero’), based on the interpretation of Angeal being the one who took flight and Genesis as the prisoner, it links to the line Zack murmurs at the end: ‘Do you think that I became a hero?'”

I can't say for certain, but I feel that Genesis believes that his imprisonment is a form of penance he must do in return for receiving the "Gift of the Goddess." Hence the role he accepts after having his degradation cured. By accepting that role, he received that gift and I don't think it's a coincidence that he chooses to seal himself away, like a prisoner, after receiving said gift. Him letting himself be sealed away doesn't contradict the characterization of him willingly sealing himself either. It is his choice since he's choosing not to resist.

Bolded section is the part of the scene in question. You're interpreting it as a look of disapproval, but this seems to imply she's sending him away because he's got more work yet to do. He was all ready to embrace her, but she turns him away because it's not time yet, hence his look of disappointment.

I guess my question then becomes, what was Genesis looking for in that scene then? It looked like he sought approval. Because after Minerva turned her eyes away, he looked crushed and confused by her reaction. It didn't seem like it was merely him responding to a declaration of more work to be done. He seemed disappointed and upset by her response to him.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
You can't breed with just a genetic sample in storage. Hojo says he intends to breed her with a mate. A candidate from SOLDIER. A candidate who could be either an S type, or a G type. And once again, there's only one G-Type SOLDIER around during FFVII.
I'm saying that you don't need Genesis to make G-type SOLDEIRs, you just need a sample of his genetics to grow in some petri dishes to implant in SOLDIER cadets. That's how Sephiroth copies are made. Speaking of copies, who's to say Hojo doesn't have any Genesis or Angeal copies sitting around? Not all the Genesis copies died by the end of CC, or so I am lead to believe. There's no reason to assume it's because they have Genesis imprisoned.

I don't know what kind of seal or whatever that water cave is. Maybe it's some form of magic, or maybe it's just a containment zone adjacent to one of many underground laboratories kept under surveillance. But the fact is, Hojo implicitly refers to Genesis as a potential breeding mate for Aerith, which would imply he knows where he is and has some form of access to him to use as an experimental subject. All other details are unclear but that's what the scene in the Remake is showing us.
You've gone from saying Genesis appearing at all would be absurd to saying Hojo was primed to breed Aerith with him before Cloud intervened. He didn't mean Genesis, just a G-type SOLDIER, which would be a Genesis copy I assume. We already know they have Genesis' genes to play with because they were used in Deepground.

And to answer your other question, I don't think he's trying to help Shinra at all. It's him fulfilling the role of the "Prisoner" in the act of LOVELESS. He's going forward based on his interpretation of LOVELESS.
Why would he become Shinra' prisoner and not just a self-imposed prisoner of his own making? He's just sealed himself in the cave because he's waiting for the right time or whatever. It would make no sense for him to submit to Shinra, he hates them. You're just arguing this point so hard because it becomes an issue for you if he can just leave whenever he wants lol.

I can't say for certain, but I feel that Genesis believes that his imprisonment is a form of penance he must do in return for receiving the "Gift of the Goddess." Hence the role he accepts after having his degradation cured. By accepting that role, he received that gift and I don't think it's a coincidence that he chooses to seal himself away, like a prisoner, after receiving said gift. Him letting himself be sealed away doesn't contradict the characterization of him willingly sealing himself either. It is his choice since he's choosing not to resist.
I mean, that's fine. I just see no reason Shinra has to be involved. All these quotes point to him biding his time, not some great suffering. Shinra also never imprisons people with Magic, even Weiss, who is stronger than Genesis, is chained to a chair and implanted with a lethal chip if he resists. Surely they would do that instead of a magic water sphere.

I guess my question then becomes, what was Genesis looking for in that scene then? It looked like he sought approval. Because after Minerva turned her eyes away, he looked crushed and confused by her reaction. It didn't seem like it was merely him responding to a declaration of more work to be done. He seemed disappointed and upset by her response to him.
What I said is what the scene is descried as meaning. I guess I can see how you can see this as an upset expression though
1657412346029.png
But given the context it seems to be an expression of awe. This is kind of down to what you're looking for though lol.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Yeah I've talked about Genesis far more than I ever wanted to now lol.

I still do not like him, for the record ;__;

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I'm saying that you don't need Genesis to make G-type SOLDEIRs, you just need a sample of his genetics to grow in some petri dishes to implant in SOLDIER cadets. That's how Sephiroth copies are made. Speaking of copies, who's to say Hojo doesn't have any Genesis or Angeal copies sitting around? Not all the Genesis copies died by the end of CC, or so I am lead to believe. There's no reason to assume it's because they have Genesis imprisoned.

Well, as the definition states, a G-Type SOLDIER is a SOLDIER who's the result of Jenova Project G. And there's only one SOLDIER who fits that designation. And yeah, you technically wouldn't need Genesis to make a G-Type SOLDIER... You'd need Gillian Hewley. The CC Complete Guide and the FFVII-R Ultimania is very clear what a G-Type SOLDIER is.

Also, a Genesis Copy also doesn't count as a G-Type SOLDIER. The SOLDIERs who got turned into G-Copies are never referred to as such, they're just copies made from SOLDIERs who presumably were S-Types, given they existed as proper SOLDIERs beforehand. However, they end up degrading due to becoming copies of G-Types. Hollander is the only Genesis Copy who specifically became a G-Type SOLDIER because rather than integrating Genesis's impure cells into his body, he used Gillian's cells instead. These were the same cells that were used to create Genesis, so like him, Hollander became a G-Type SOLDIER.

Only by using cells originating from the progenitor of Project G, does one become a G-Type SOLDIER, and Gillian is dead. There are no more G-Types being created, and copies don't become G-Types. So again, Genesis is the only G-Type SOLDIER alive during FFVII.

You've gone from saying Genesis appearing at all would be absurd to saying Hojo was primed to breed Aerith with him before Cloud intervened. He didn't mean Genesis, just a G-type SOLDIER, which would be a Genesis copy I assume. We already know they have Genesis' genes to play with because they were used in Deepground.

I was specifically referring to the Genesis of the future time traveling and appearing in the Remake, to be fair. And yes, I am skeptical of him showing up but I'm speaking analytically and honestly regarding the subject and implications shown within the story. This isn't about my preferred choice in how they use Genesis. And this actually was discussed awhile ago here on the forum; ultimately it's a pretty implicit reference to Genesis and his condition during FFVII. A G-Type SOLDIER is a product of Jenova Project G. Someone who shares Gillian's cells. That's him.

The Deepground Tsviets share the genetic factors (it could be genes, the actual translation for that is ambiguous, but hito used 'genes' because it was the best word he could think of) of Genesis but those factors aren't what create a G-Type SOLDIER. For one, Tsviets don't degrade. G-Types inevitably degrade due to the flaw inherent to their cellular structure. Also, the Tsviets aren't carriers of Jenova's abilities. There's something else the Tsviets received from Genesis that's never been revealed, but it's not in regards to becoming G-Type SOLDIERs.

Why would he become Shinra' prisoner and not just a self-imposed prisoner of his own making? He's just sealed himself in the cave because he's waiting for the right time or whatever. It would make no sense for him to submit to Shinra, he hates them. You're just arguing this point so hard because it becomes an issue for you if he can just leave whenever he wants lol.

I don't know! I do think that Genesis is the one actively choosing to be the "prisoner" here, and he chose to let himself be sealed. It's his own form of self imposed exile, in a sense. He's not being kept in a standard Shinra facility presumably because he's too much of a threat for Shinra to try to mess with. In the end, Hojo knows where he is and presumably has access to him. He certainly believes so to tell that scheme to the Shinra Executive Board. He put a "G-Type" forth as a candidate for breeding. So, I don't know what else to say. Whatever circumstance exists that allows Genesis to exist freely and "sleep" as he wishes, is clearly one that's unique to him.

I mean, that's fine. I just see no reason Shinra has to be involved. All these quotes point to him biding his time, not some great suffering. Shinra also never imprisons people with Magic, even Weiss, who is stronger than Genesis, is chained to a chair and implanted with a lethal chip if he resists. Surely they would do that instead of a magic water sphere.

Honestly the Remake makes the strongest case for it, and I wouldn't think the case was so strong if Hojo didn't make such a direct reference to his existence as a possible specimen for his experiment. That reference to him was a subtle yet strong acknowledgment of his existence. What they do with it beyond that is unknown but like I said before, I'm sure something will be done with him.

Given that like you said, Weiss is stronger than Genesis, I feel like the reason they let Genesis be sealed as he saw fit is because it's simply a matter Shinra wishes to just leave alone and not exacerbate. Sorta like how they let their higher up company retirees live out their lives in exchange for remaining under surveillance for life. So long as they are no longer a threat or an issue. Wouldn't be surprised if Hojo would have something to do with wanting to keep the only other sample from the Jenova Project alive for whatever research he may wish in the future.

Like a lot of the many other aspects of Genesis post-CC, it's all a mystery.

What I said is what the scene is descried as meaning. I guess I can see how you can see this as an upset expression though
View attachment 12738
But given the context it seems to be an expression of awe. This is kind of down to what you're looking for though lol.

There's a mix of awe but looking at his widened eyes and downcast eyebrows. Those imply sadness and bewilderment. Like, he was expecting something more but didn't get it. The scene is very surreal and ambiguous and while there's that description for it, there feels like there's far more going on.

Last edited:

jeangl123

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jean
That Spanish interview has some interesting stuff.

Hobbyconsolas: Does this mean we won't see a Final Fantasy VII Dirge of Cerberus remake or remaster ?

Nomura : Regarding a remake or a remaster of other installments of the series, at the moment FFVII The first Soldier would need a complete remake since it is a mobile game. As for Dirge of Cerberus, his story takes place after the events of Final Fantasy VII.

So the most important thing is to finish the remake trilogy first, because if we release Dirge of Cerberus in the middle, people will find out the ending. We'll think about releasing Dirge of Cerberus after we've finished all three games, never before.

Used google translate for this.

jeangl123

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jean
HC: Considering these changes, why call it a remaster instead of a remake?

Kitase: It's quite difficult to describe the exact level to which we've changed the game, and therefore whether it's a remake or a remaster. I will try to show it with an example. If you want to rebuild a building and for that you completely demolish it and or do it again, it is a remake.

But we have preserved the foundations and the structure. We have removed everything that was around it, so it is more than a remaster, but less than a remake . Obviously we improved the graphics and rebuilt the character models - none of the models that appear in the game are taken from the original.

There are also new voices and new mechanics. We've introduced elements that were seen in Final Fantasy VII Remake, but we wanted it to still have the feel of the original Crisis Core. I am referring to the changes in elements such as spells or the "hit stop" when you hit an enemy.

That's why I say it's more than a remaster, but it's not so much a remake. For the new recording of the voices we have used the same team of actors that originally recorded them in Japan, although the western versions have a new cast.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
Here is that German interview, translated by yours truly for everyone to read if they are interested.
PC Games: A few years ago, Square-Enix released a whole range of Final Fantasy VII spin-offs. Why did you choose Crisis Core for the current remake and not one of the other games?

Kitase: Anyone who has played Final Fantasy VII Remake knows that Zack plays a really important role in the story. He makes an appearance earlier in Final Fantasy VII Remake, and as a player you want to find out more about him as a character and his backstory. Crisis Core is the game centered around this backstory.

It'll be very important to find out more about Zack. He also appears in the Final Fantasy VII Rebirth trailer, and people will be wanting to know how he will impact the ongoing story. That's why Crisis Core was a good choice for a remake or remaster. Of all the spin-offs, Crisis Core is simply the best for a reboot. For example, Before Crisis was a mobile game, and on very old phones, not even smartphones.

A remaster wouldn't be enough, that should be a complete remake. That would have been difficult to implement. The other "big" spin-off alongside Crisis Core, Dirge of
Cerberus, story-wise, is after the Events of the original Final Fantasy VII settled.

So now is not the right time to do a remake or a remaster there. The remake of the main game is not even yet complete. How we're going to finish it, how we're going to bring the story to a close, we're logically not revealing at the moment.

Jumping to a story that takes place after the end of the main game would therefore not work. So Crisis Core is the only game that currently needs a remake, that's why we chose that game.

PC Games: Final Fantasy VII Remake changes the story of the original quite drastically. Does Crisis Core Reunion continue to the story of the original Final Fantasy VII, or have you altered the spin-off's story to fit the events of Final Fantasy VII Remake?

Sato: The Story of Crisis Core Reunion stays true to that of the original Crisis Core. We didn't change anything about the story or the timeline.

PC Games: So the new Crisis Core is tied to the original Final Fantasy VII but not the Remake?

Nomura: That's a tough question to answer because of course we haven't revealed everything there is to reveal about the Final Fantasy VII Remake trilogy. The question implies that the original Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VII Remake do not exist in the same timeline, and the truth is, we still have mysteries in that regard that we haven't revealed yet.

How the story ends up, where it's going, is a huge mystery, so I can't give you a direct answer. However: Crisis Core's story is relevant to the original Final Fantasy 7, it takes place in the same timeline, but it is also relevant and part of the remake's timeline

So these games are not independent of each other. Unfortunately, I can't go into more detail at the moment without spoilers.

PC Games: Crisis Core's graphics have been significantly revised. Have you been held back in any way by the fact that it's a 15 year old PSP game?

Sato: The original Crisis Core definitely had limitations that held the game back. We definitely had to put a lot of work into the character animations for this new edition. Animations used to be very limited, combined with the new graphics and high-resolution character models would now make them look cheap in Crisis Core Reunion. So we had to work a lot on that.

PC Games: Crisis Core was one of the earliest Final Fantasy games to use a real-time combat system. After that, even the main series went in that direction. What did you learn from the games that came after Crisis Core, and how did that knowledge help you make combat better in Crisis Core Reunion?

Kitase: I don't think Crisis Core was the first Final Fantasy with real-time combat, but the team at that time definitely had little experience with action games. The combat system was still based on the ATB system from Final Fantasy 7, 8, etc., which the team had previously worked on. It lacked the know-how for action. For comparison, look at Kingdom Hearts, which started out as an action-based series, so this team was able to get used to this type of game right from the start. So the Crisis Core team wanted to keep their standards low. At the time, I had a desire to make more action-focused games, but with no background, we couldn't overdo it.

Soon after, more and more action elements were implemented into the Final Fantasy series. Of course, for the games I didn't work on, I can't say how the action was realized there or what inspired it. The team that made Final Fantasy VII Remake has definitely influenced our work the most.

The balance in the mixture of action and the well-known ATB system was really great. We want to get closer to this quality. The combat in Crisis Core Reunion is still based on the core principle of the original game, but it's still meant to feel very similar to that of Final Fantasy VII Remake. So yes, the battles from Final Fantasy VII Remake were our biggest inspiration.

PC Games: When you develop a major update for a popular game like Crisis Core, there is always a risk. For example, you might alienate fans of the original with changes they don't like. Do you feel some of that pressure on this one?

Kitase: The core principle of our game is different from that of Final Fantasy VII Remake. We're not changing the story that fans love so much. It is exactly the same. So I think there are no changes that might bother people.

PC Games: On a related note, something a lot of people like about Crisis Core is the humor, which is quite silly at times. You have confirmed elsewhere that elements such as Sephiroth's extensively discussed hair care routines will continue to be part of the game. With that in mind, do you think Final Fantasy has gotten too serious over the past few years? Or does it need more goofy humor?

Nomura: I don't know if this answers your question, but there's definitely been a trend in game development and also in the Final Fantasy series.

We've discussed this a lot and we're trying to figure out the best way to approach this challenge. The graphics of many games have become more and more realistic over time.

This makes it much harder to incorporate certain gags and fun elements. The characters always look more realistic, and that realism is expected, but with too much goofy humor there is a specific sort of discrepancy. So yes, the new realism makes it harder to implement humor.

PC Games: When announcing Crisis Core Reunion, you talked about some things that were improved in the game. Now I would like something exclusive - what's one new feature that you haven't told anyone yet?

Sato: Oh, there are so many improvements we could talk about! There's almost no element in the game that we haven't at least reworked in some way. If I have something to tell you that we haven't revealed yet, I'll tell you about the combat system and some of the improvements there. Zack's regular attacks can now be linked, allowing him to perform powerful combos. This is a completely new mechanic. In addition, there are now shortcuts, i.e. quick access to your abilities and spells, which is also new. And we also massively modified the Digital Mind Wave System. In the original game, the system was completely random, summons or limit breaks would be triggered at some point and completely randomly.

This wasn't ideal and it could happen, for example, where you were fighting a group of very easy enemies and then the strongest Limit Break would trigger completely pointlessly and thus be wasted, and it would unnecessarily prolong those easy fights as well. So the system needed an overhaul and we gave it just that.
Limit Breaks and Summons can now be stored when fully charged and then used in a targeted manner, such as in a really tricky fight. This improves the balancing and also gives the fights a new, tactical touch.

PC Games: The Crisis Core storyline, or rather the connection between Zack Fair and Cloud Strife, is a pretty big spoiler for Final Fantasy VII. Do you have any concerns, especially given that you might see a plot twist in Final Fantasy VII Rebirth and the third part of the remake trilogy? Shouldn't the story differ greatly from the original in this respect?

Nomura: I'm not really concerned that this could be a spoiler. The original Final Fantasy VII has existed for many years. The first part of the remake has existed too. A lot of people know the twist you mention. Of course, for those fans who weren't introduced to Final Fantasy VII until Remake, there are aspects of Crisis Core that touch on elements that didn't appear in the first installment of the remake trilogy.

But I think that might even be something that makes fans want to know more about how the story continues in Rebirth and the final part of the trilogy. Logically, we haven't revealed whether and if so to what extent the connection between Zack and Cloud has changed in the remake. So I'm not too worried about spoilers, people will want to find out more about the characters and what's going to happen to them after Crisis Core, even if they know the twist already.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room

Now this one is interesting.

HobbyConsolas: What order should the games be completed in? Will it be necessary to play the trilogy and Crisis Core to have the complete story, as is the case with the Kingdom Hearts saga?

Nomura: It's a bit different from the way Kingdom Hearts' story unfolds. Mainly in the sense that the remakes tell the same story of Final Fantasy VII, but divided into several parts. It's the whole story.

Crisis Core is an independent game with its own story, which can be enjoyed without having played the others. But of course it is a prequel, and its events take place before Final Fantasy VII. If you want to have a deeper understanding of the story, you should also play it. Especially as it pertains to the character of Zack.

Ryeleigh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Rye
PC Games: When you develop a major update for a popular game like Crisis Core, there is always a risk. For example, you might alienate fans of the original with changes they don't like. Do you feel some of that pressure on this one?

Kitase: The core principle of our game is different from that of Final Fantasy VII Remake. We're not changing the story that fans love so much. It is exactly the same. So I think there are no changes that might bother people.

This gave me a laugh.

Logically, we haven't revealed whether and if so to what extent the connection between Zack and Cloud has changed in the remake.

And this makes me curious.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
"The question implies that the original Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VII Remake do not exist in the same timeline, and the truth is, we still have mysteries in that regard that we haven't revealed yet." - Nomura

hehehe nomura you madman

Eerie

Fire and Blood
So the most important thing is to finish the remake trilogy first, because if we release Dirge of Cerberus in the middle, people will discover the ending. We will think about releasing Dirge of Cerberus after we have finished all three games, never before.

So this is why they have looked at numbers for a DoC Remaster but haven't decided on anything yet. Seems logical, but they have had and asked a lot of new players to play the OG and they did, so they know the ending already lol.

HC: Fans discovered that the Buster Sword was different in Crisis Core and FFVII, whereas in this case, it's the same design, does it establish a new canon in the series?

Nomura: From the beginning, Zack's sword in Crisis Core was supposed to be the same Buster Sword, it was never proposed to be different. So we've had the opportunity to fix that.

Of course, there's a reason why the sword in the original looked different. The reason is that the game came out after the FFVII Advent Children movie, and the designer had the opportunity to remake it. The version that appeared in the game was based on the movie, but unfortunately it was different from the original.

We have corrected that problem with Crisis Core Reunion, although it was always supposed to be the same sword.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Hey @Odysseus they've thought about you and someone finally asked the question! xD And it was something like I imagined, really lol.

Top Bottom