• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Crisis Core -FFVII- Reunion General Discussion

msia2k75

Pro Adventurer
I was about to watch the trailer, but my Twitter feed is full of spoilers, and I'm kinda disappointed that the trailer literally spoils anything that could poissibly be spoiled. Why oh why?? I'd rather wait until the game is out to dive in and enjoy all the transformations it's gone through.

Isn't Twitter like the worst feat ever?

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
So contrary to us initially thinking that the FMVs must have been re-rendered since they changed the Buster Sword, they did say they just used AI upscaling and some kind of image tracing technique or whatever to alter stuff like the sword.
I'm watching some streamers who got early access to CCR and immediately noticed some artifacting around the Buster Sword where you can tell the Remake hilt has just been dynamically pasted over the old one.
This seems to be kind of...imperfect as there is at least one instance where the image is slightly transparent and you can see the Compilation Buster Sword underneath!

I screencapped it:

MxauEFy.png

...does this provide new fodder for this thread? :P

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
LOL imperfect AI aside, looking at the amount of effort they did to redesign the locales and environments, like the Shinra Building, to match the Remake and give it much higher detail is fucking wild.

The graphics and textures are not up to the level of the Remake, but they are still really damn good. The battle system looks so much more fluid and dynamic. Like, fuck. It really shows. I can enjoy this.

The only thing that bugs me is the rigging for the models still being based on the PSP movements lol it's really giving KH3 vibes but it is what it is :monster:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Another great thing is that comboing certain command materia (i.e. knowing when to activate them in reference to the hit count of your combo) yields stronger effects. So the command Assault Twister deals more damage if you use it as the last hit of your normal combo.

They've done their best to make the battle system have more depth and thought than before.

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
Japan has stricter rules about dismemberment and decapitation, moreso in their video games ratings board (Edit: or maybe it's just Sony Japan?).

It's unfortunate how much stricter Japan has become since the 80s and 90s. You'd see so much wild shit in anime that would never-ever be allowed today...

So contrary to us initially thinking that the FMVs must have been re-rendered since they changed the Buster Sword, they did say they just used AI upscaling and some kind of image tracing technique or whatever to alter stuff like the sword.
I'm watching some streamers who got early access to CCR and immediately noticed some artifacting around the Buster Sword where you can tell the Remake hilt has just been dynamically pasted over the old one.
This seems to be kind of...imperfect as there is at least one instance where the image is slightly transparent and you can see the Compilation Buster Sword underneath!

I screencapped it:

MxauEFy.png

...does this provide new fodder for this thread? :P

Yeah I've noticed the hilt not looking quite right in the trailers... It's really strange that they put so much effort into recreating and improving the in-game stuff, but couldn't be bothered to remake the FMVs. It couldn't have been THAT much more work.... right?

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
For the record, I've never said "You still have the OG." I say "Why have the OG... again?" :glomp:

Ummmm for the exact same reason people are excited about the topic of this thread. Except CC needs a way less extreme form of a glow up than FF7

Reactions: LNK

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
If we want to get down to it, re-releases are great for making games more accessible. CC on modern platforms? Cool. I'll even get excited about it! But I know in my heart of hearts the game won't have the same impact as playing it in its day, neither on me nor on gaming at large. It's ultimately a retread.

And the same is true of FFVII. I'll sit down now before even getting into my controversial take that I would've preferred Nomura, Kitase, and Nojima's efforts to have gone towards a new mainline FF game instead of a three part remake project, even if it is of my GOAT.

Last edited:

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Nova Crystallis uploaded a video with footage of chapters 2 and 3.

New feature: Results bonus. Once promoted to 1st, Zack gets restored depending on certain things you do in battle. This appears under the "Combat Resolved" message.

1669959490024.png

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

Further preview gameplay from CC-Reunion going up to Chapter 3.

This is looking fantastic. And I think I've gotten used to the new voice actors, particularly Zack. Hmmm... I feel like the overall quality of the voice acting is better in Reunion despite there being some voice actors from the original I prefer over their new ones. If that makes sense. The environments are continuing to look great; compared to the FF Type-0 Remaster, this blows it out the water. They went much further bringing this PSP game to a console level. Like, to be clear this isn't on the same level as FFVII-Remake, however it is very damn good as its own game. And I'd equate it's graphics to KH3; a PS4 level game, and that's still pretty good. Aside from some texture issues on some NPCs, the models are great looking. The Shinra Building invasion is....wonderful :monster:

A nifty detail they added that I like is whenever the DMW shifts to Summon Mode and Zack gets to summon, it actually shows Zack using the materia, instead of just cutting to the cutscene. Furthermore, you can interrupt the cutscene whenever you want. So yeah, that's really neat. The battle system feels a lot better and more responsive; there was always a very noticeable lag between button input and action on the PSP, along with there being no real... depth aside from hack and slash and they obviously fixed all that. Overall, this is the definitive way to play CC.

My only fault with this game is the lack of Jenova's friggin' head.:@

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Because the Japanese rating agencies have gotten significantly more prudish towards any scenes of violence within the past 8 years and S-E wants that T rating really fucking bad.

It's stupid as hell, and I wish S-E would just bite the bullet and let the higher rating stick so FFVII can be FFVII.

I really hope enough fans raise hell about this and get the writers to reconsider. If Jenova having a human likeness and losing her head off screen is too graphic to show her head entirely for the Remake at its current fidelity, then I can only wonder what other implied levels of violence is going to make the developers have to run around the edges to stay within their rating target. This is absolutely ridiculous. The blood thing in the Shinra Building sucked but they at least tried to do something sensical to replace it but having to put Jenova's whole head in a fucking steel box from the start is just stupid.

Top Bottom