Final Fantasy VII: The First Soldier

SilverArrow20XX

Pro Adventurer
Pity to see all those fun glamor assets go.
Was waiting for a console release to check this out, but can't say I care too much since I don't typically play PvP games.
At least it'll live on in Ever Crisis.......for a while at least.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i downloaded this but never even opened the app and now i wonder if there's any point lol

i'm not really interested in the genre and was apprehensive about the controls on a phone, but if it had been on consoles i might have tried it out

ph14basicbitch

shinra merch buyer
AKA
koda
And that should really be the normal, human reaction to this lol

(My friend who became part of the Ambassador program plays on, uhm, his iPad, but with it hooked up to his monitor, and with a controller)

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Like, it really blows my mind the more I think about the total misjudge S-E of the core demographic that would adopt and play this.

I get S-E wanted to pull new people into this. That makes sense.

But there was a serious misunderstanding of mobile phone only adoption rates for a high-end BR game such as this. The JRPG FF demographic (which while has many young Gen-Z fans, is still predominantly Gen Y) is lukewarm to "mobile only."

Especially outside of Asia.

Furthermore, there were serious bugs and controls issues due to the game having optimization problems due to trying to make the game run properly on all phones. This made a poor play experience at certain points of it's lifespan.

Overall I feel like in certain ways A-Team was almost set up to fail. Because they were a small company already, and it probably was a lot more of a massive project than they realized.

Jack Holiday

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Art Shak, TXGT

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I tried this game once, and it was not bad tbh. But unless you have a large screened tablet (which is what i used), you're gonna be playing a game where you have to aim at stuff on a tiny phone screen.

It's especially tough when you're competing against games like Fortnite and Apex, who've have been building and expanding on their games for years. The market is dominated by a big few that have been doing this for a lot longer, with bigger IP crossovers that casts a very wide net in who it brings in. The FS game had interesting core gameplay that set it apart from others in the genre, but Mako is completely right when he says that this was a complete misunderstanding of their demographic. That's not just in reference to FF fans, but people who want to play battle royales.

Last edited:

Radigar

Pro Adventurer
Has anyone already posted this github repository before in this thread? It looks like something old. :mon:

On the other hand I remember see a special promotional video sent to ambbasadors with Shinra Boxes, that containts a QR with a URL to a video for the "Project 0's 4th testing group". As far as I know there were two versions of the same video in English and Japanese, it seems that the latter has already been removed from GDrive, but the English version can still be downloaded for who knows how long.
By the way, now that the game is going to be closed, should we create a new dedicated archive thread?

Last edited:

jeangl123

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jean
unknown.png

Zack and Cloud event

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
this is like, the 4th live service game square enix have shuttered after lasting a year at most recently (not including older ones like g-bike) and i really don't know why you'd trust them with any new titles they come out with to stay up and running.

makes me leery of ever crisis (was that the name? or was that one of the many fake rumour ff7 compilation titles lol), the one that's meant to cover basically every old ff7 release. will they even reach the end of a single game with that, or will they end up stopping service for that within a year too.

OWA-2

Pro Adventurer
this is like, the 4th live service game square enix have shuttered after lasting a year at most recently (not including older ones like g-bike) and i really don't know why you'd trust them with any new titles they come out with to stay up and running.

makes me leery of ever crisis (was that the name? or was that one of the many fake rumour ff7 compilation titles lol), the one that's meant to cover basically every old ff7 release. will they even reach the end of a single game with that, or will they end up stopping service for that within a year too.

Depends who is working on the game. For example, Dissidia Opera Omnia is doing fine, and it started years ago.

Top Bottom