The Funny Story of How I was Introduced to Final Fantasy

Elkazor

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Cinder Wing
*******Potential Spoilers, though I do my best not to ************

So I was first introduced to Final Fantasy through Kingdom Hearts back a few years after Kingdom Hearts II first came out. My sister bought Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 one day to try out. We ended up loving the games. My sisters were huge into anime at the time, but I wasn't that into anime myself. After being introduced to the Final Fantasy characters through Kingdom Hearts, my other sister wanted to see where Cloud and Sephiroth were from. So her friend had the OG Advent Children (it was the only version available at the time) and she came over to our house and showed it to us.

OG Advent Children was my very first Final Fantasy experience. I was 13 years old at the time.

My first impression of the film was that it was a Japanese Christian Propaganda film. Let me explain.

The Angel symbolism was rampant. When Sephiroth eventually shows up I figured he was a metaphor for the anti-christ with his whole "one wing" thing.

There was that part where the guy shoves a shiny ball into his arm and it shoots a giant beam into the sky that forms a bunch of occultish pentagram symbols and summons a giant beast with horns and dragon wings. My immediate thought was "OK so that guy just summoned satan."

There were all of those flashbacks to Aerith and Zack in the church. I figured "Ah, so this Aerith girl is clearly being portrayed as Cloud's guardian angel."

At the end, a baptism is just straight up performed. Handful of water on the head and everything. Also, a big red jaguar just shows up out of nowhere and starts talking about being one with life and the planet or something and my genuine thoughts, no joke, were "Hmmm that red jaguar must be a religious hallucination of God".

The version of Advent Children my sister's friend had had this other feature on the disk where it showed a montage of the OG game, and of course the first thing we did was laugh hysterically at the graphics.

Later my sister got my brother to borrow the OG game off of his friend. So she started playing it and got stuck at Corel Prison, and then promptly moved on from the game for years. She didn't beat it until she got it a few years ago on the Nintendo Switch and beat that version.

I became curious, bc at this point in my life I hadn't really gone back and revisited older games. I thought it would be a neat time capsule.
I also went in thinking "I'm excited to see the origins of all of the characters, including Kadaj, Loz, and Yazoo!" And was also excited to see the moment when Cloud sticks the Buster Sword into the cliff. Oh, and also, I went in knowing full well about both the major end of disc one spoiler and the disc two spoiler.

I was immediately blown away at how grounded and deep the entire game was from the get-go compared to Advent Children. The tonal whiplash I got was unlike anything I'd ever experienced. The game was so mature and so real in terms of it's political commentaries. I played it for an hour and got right up to the Wall Market section in my first sitting. At that point I knew I'd fallen in love with the game.

Evidently, Advent Children made even less sense to me after beating the game.

Elkazor

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Cinder Wing
That's an interesting perspective. The no context FFVII experience :P.
Yes, Advent Children as my first introduction was definitely not the ideal way to get into the series, but it somehow worked out in the end.

I love Red XIII being a hallucination of god. He's FFVII's Aslan :monster:

Yea I mean he's barely in the movie at all, and then just shows up out of nowhere in the end and starts talking. None of the other characters acknowledge that he's a friend and supposed to be able to talk. XD

This all makes it pretty clear that Advent Children was meant to be watched by people who were familiar with the OG. Also, keep in mind that what I saw was the first version of Advent Children. Not ACC.

Fangu

Great Old One
and of course the first thing we did was laugh hysterically at the graphics.
lmao, best part of the post imo. As expected, the graphics being pretty outdated at the time. But at the point of reading it I already knew you'd feel differently once actually having played through the game.

Great post!

Top Bottom