Ody's Scanlations

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I honestly think that's intentional to an extent. It wouldn't shock me of the English localization team is trying to downplay any connections to the compilation unless absolutely necessary.

I think some of that stuff is probably just too obscure. A Before Crisis reference outside of Japan is understood only by like...the weird niche FFVII hardcore weebs (i.e. us :monster: ) because who else even played it? It's easier to catch all these things once the game is out and the collective nerddom can essentially crowdsource the knowledge and pick apart all the lines where references slipped through.

Of course, the localization team could've used fandom crowdsourcing and looked up stuff themselves on fan wikis but I feel like that's probably how we got "Gaia is the name of FFVII's world" (the initial instance of it appearing in some E3 Advent Children pamphlet or whatever I'd bet my ass on was simply a mistake because where the heck would anyone even get that from) :monster:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I think some of that stuff is probably just too obscure. A Before Crisis reference outside of Japan is understood only by like...the weird niche FFVII hardcore weebs (i.e. us :monster: ) because who else even played it? It's easier to catch all these things once the game is out and the collective nerddom can essentially crowdsource the knowledge and pick apart all the lines where references slipped through.

Of course, the localization team could've used fandom crowdsourcing and looked up stuff themselves on fan wikis but I feel like that's probably how we got "Gaia is the name of FFVII's world" (the initial instance of it appearing in some E3 Advent Children pamphlet or whatever I'd bet my ass on was simply a mistake because where the heck would anyone even get that from) :monster:
That's a flawed approach to take because Heretic Rayleigh is a brand new thing, and they're literally building those older elements out for a modern day international audience with Ever Crisis. Just because it's a weird obscure reference to a Before Crisis character NOW doesn't mean that it will continue to be one as more of the content gets released. The only thing that obfuscating that type of reference in order to make it "easier" for a general audience does is that it means that only an even MORE niche collective of ultra nerds will be able to pick up on those things that were set up as intentionally foreshadowed design elements.

There are an absolute truckload of weirdly niche things that will literally never be able to have an adequate 1:1 localization because language itself isn't 1:1 and not all audiences will have the same background, and the localization team genuinely does so well in making up for that. That's what makes it especially frustrating that the in-world specific things that are part of communicating an intentional payoff is where misses like that are weirdly too common.

That's also why information like this in interviews and other resource books is really valuable as they're details that you might not think about or they'll help to expose you to something that hold significance in a way that you may not have originally considered – like Barret's facial scar being something that they considered to be significant to his design.

X :neo:

Top Bottom