• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Ite's FF7 D&D Variant

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
As a parting gift for this crazy year, I have the latest update for the Book of Materia. This one is a doozy. Introducing:

WEAPONS, ARMOR, & MATERIA SLOTS

After lots of playtesting and listening to your feedback, I've created a weapon and armor system to complement the materia for 5e. Not only is this more in line with FF7's mechanics/aesthetics, it also really easily allows for you to introduce materia into a pre-existing D&D setting without upending the whole world. It's what I've done for my D&D setting, and now my players regularly play with materia in my home game.

What has changed? The base rules have been changed in the following way:
- You no longer attune to materia directly. Instead, you attune to materia slots - items which take up normal attunement slots - furthermore, they are attuned to over a short rest as normal, rather than one minute.
- The mage-at-arms subclass is now obsolete, and is cut
- Materia no longer impact your Max HP or MP, it was a lot of fuss for no tangible impact
- The XP that materia gains is now called AP, there is now optional variants for folks who want to milestone level or skip materia growth altogether.

Wait, so I can only attune to 3 materia now? Well, not quite. You can expand the number of materia you can attune to by using the weapon and armor system. In fact, using this system, you can potentially attune to 17 materia - that's one more than in the original FF7! (Imagine if you could use one extra materia instead of an Accessory, and you get the idea). Perfect for the erudite slum dweller who wants to put a 'useless' materia in her hairtie.

What comes next? I'm going to start another round of playtests in 2023, and I hope to get feedback about this system from y'all as well! Then my plan is to redo the full book with the updated rules and a more setting-neutral approach, cutting modular armor and making the book only about materia. I have no plans to continue the bestiary any time soon, because all that's left are basically end-game enemies and my time is better spent on other parts of the project, like properly addressing the recharge times of blue and red materia.

Happy 2023!

Last edited:

tamsynnimogen

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Tamsynn
thanks for the update im not 100% sure if i understand the milestone optional rule

does it mean that the dm just informs the player when their materia levels up or is it that when players level up then materia gain that amount of ap and level up accordingly or something else?

Reactions: Ite

Ite

AKA
Ite
Basically the DM would inform the players if a materia levels up, similar to regular milestone levelling or Matt Mercer’s “awakened” items. DMs decide when each materia has earned the right to get to the next star rating.

So, if a fire materia is used a bunch of times in a campaign — or if it’s just been equipped for a while (DM choice) a DM will say “Hey that fire materia levels up.”

Since I don’t use milestone myself, I don’t imagine that this option is going to be elegant or fun. It puts a lot of extra work on the DM — more work than regular milestone levelling, and more opportunities to fuck up. It will cause problems. This system simply wasn’t designed to have its corners cut in the same way as the 5e character progression system. It comes from my 2e tradition and FF7, which are inherently more complex and number-heavy. I’ll try and make the round hole a bit more square with some guidance:

Star-ratings aren’t uniform, for example: a two-star charm materia requires 300 AP and a two-star comet materia requires 225,000 AP. The guidance I can provide doesn’t come from personal playtesting, just conjecture.

Most if not all AP requirements for materia are equal to XP requirements for character levels. Looking at the charm materia, its 300 AP req is the same as the 300 XP that it takes for a Lv 1 character to reach Lv 2 (the level that a sorcerer might choose to learn the spell charm person). Similarly, the 225,000 AP to learn cometa reflects character level 17, which is when a wizard is able to learn the D&D equivalent spell meteor swarm.

So, when a DM is about to award a milestone level to the party, they will look at the materia in play, compare the AP requirements to whatever level they are awarding, and level up those materia. So if a character has been toting around a comet materia since level 1, it can be expected to gain its second star when that character reaches level 17.

The tricky part is when players buy, find, or ‘give birth to’ new materia during a campaign. If players are level 13 and they get new charm and comet materia, the DM is likely to level the charm up two sessions in a row, while perhaps never levelling up the comet for the whole campaign.

That mental math falls on the DM. Best of luck!

Edit: I suppose the nice thing about milestone levelling is that there *aren’t* strict rules on numbers, so perhaps the solution wouldn’t be to try and emulate the XP/AP system using mental math, but rather approach it with a more blasé generosity! If a DM decides that the characters are ready to have access to firaga, then they will give that fire materia its third star. Is that more similar to how milestone DMs approach character growth? I don’t really know 😅

Last edited:

tamsynnimogen

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Tamsynn
yh basically milestone leveling is a tool to allow the campaign to progress smoothly the dm can decide when to level the players so that the the story can progress without the dm having to worry if theyve levelled up too fast or too slow (also helps to prevent murder hobos just to get xp)
i gathered during milestone in the same way that characters do milestone wouldnt really help since you could swap out materias. in my games we tend to do a combo method of milestone for the players and a sortta ap for the materia were the players spend their magic dice (roll all the magic dice and x10 for total gained ap) on a long rest to gain ap for their materia equipped. its not perfect but at least in our games seems to work ok enough

Ite

AKA
Ite
yh basically milestone leveling is a tool to allow the campaign to progress smoothly the dm can decide when to level the players so that the the story can progress without the dm having to worry if theyve levelled up too fast or too slow (also helps to prevent murder hobos just to get xp)
i gathered during milestone in the same way that characters do milestone wouldnt really help since you could swap out materias. in my games we tend to do a combo method of milestone for the players and a sortta ap for the materia were the players spend their magic dice (roll all the magic dice and x10 for total gained ap) on a long rest to gain ap for their materia equipped. its not perfect but at least in our games seems to work ok enough
That’s an awesome solution! Would it be okay if I included that in the next update? I’ll credit you of course :)

tamsynnimogen

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Tamsynn
because we also use this with normal dnd races and classes we modified the everyone is magical section to be more inline with the spellcasting classes and made some in our opinion balancing changes

Everyone is Magical
In addition to normal class features, every PC now has magic
points (like hit points), a spell save DC, and a spell attack
modifier (non arcane classes spellcasting ability is Wisdom).
All PCs also have something called a magic bonus.
Spell Save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus +
your Ability Score modifier
Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus +
your Ability Score modifier

Magic Bonus
Materia effects combine the innate power of the crystal with
your own life force. Sometimes, determining the amount of
damage, healing, or the length of a spell's duration will
require you to add or multiply your magic bonus (MB). Each
PC has a unique magic bonus that is calculated thusly:
MB = your Ability Score modifier + your total level

Magic Points
Sometimes, using a spell's ability requires you to spend
magic points (MP). These are representative of your
character's magical stamina.
Each PC develops magic points (MP) as they level up. You
spend MP when you use certain spell effects (such as the fire
spell.) You regain MP as you would HP, expending magic dice
on a short rest and replenishing your magic dice on a long
rest.
Magic Dice: 1 per level
Magic Points at 1st Level: Max roll + your Ability Score
modifier
Magic Points at Higher Levels: Magic die + your Ability
Score modifier

Hit DiceMagic Dice
d4d20
d6d12
d8d10
d10d8
d12d6
d20d4

Ite

AKA
Ite
because we also use this with normal dnd races and classes we modified the everyone is magical section to be more inline with the spellcasting classes and made some in our opinion balancing changes

That different-MP dice is indeed a great idea! And you've included d4 and d20 for monster stats too! I actually had something almost exactly like this chart in a previous iteration of the system, and I don't know why I removed it (Maybe because I didn't want to dishearted barbarian players? Barret in 7R is a barbarian who is imo the best caster in the game). I think it had to do with multiclassing and keeping track of different types of magic dice for resting purposes. d8 was simpler and kept multiple castings available to all players. I'm not sure I was wrong to yeet it, but let me know how it plays at higher levels :)

As for allowing materia-based stats to calculate using a magic users in-built casting ability, that is an awesome bit of design that curtails a percieved issue that I think a lot of players would have, which is that clerics and druids are more powerful with spells (on average - especially if there are minmaxers in the game) in a mixed game. I've seen it in my home game too, with non-Wisdom casters finding little use for green materia. I find this development an interesting departure from FF7's, where green was the most common, and now is one of the least seen. But I think your design may truly work better.

Thanks for your feedback as always! I'm so happy to hear about your games and what you're learning with the system. Will defo credit you for that variant. Question: what if a character multi-classes later, and gains spellcasting stats that are better than their Wisdom? Is it a "whichever is higher" type deal? I am also thinking of my players at home, who would dip into a spellcasting class just to boost their materia abilities (this makes things like spellcasting feats really attractive as well). What about racial spellcasting abilities? I would love to let my friend Ryan get his hands on this haha, he loves breaking game mechanics.

Speaking of statblock layouts (lol) if you wanna know where I place the materia-based statistics on a pre-existing monster:

1674025521743.png

You'll notice that this lil' kobold has absolute shit for magic stats (it's not an official 5e kobold, Hasbro, don't @ me) owing to its abysmal Wisdom score.

The program I use for my DM notes is called Obsidian Notes. The best place to scratch these stats into your Monster Manual (pencil doesn't smudge) is here:

1674027722541.png

Last edited:

tamsynnimogen

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Tamsynn
with the multiclassing when it comes to dice then it works like how multiclassing hit dice work in regards to stats then id prob say which ever is highest of the spellcasting stats or wisdom (we dont have any mixed spellcasters in our group so hasnt came up)

tamsynnimogen

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Tamsynn
im not going to be able provide much more feedback as my group is moving away from 5e were either going to be using pathfinder 2e or en publishing level up a5e. im also making my own ttrpg (mainly for fun)

Epsilonis

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Hi!, I've been using this supplement for a bit in my homebrew world. A question on some of the attack materia and others, a lot of it specifies "a target you can see" then says "the creature takes x damage" or in the case of Fire it's "target in range" then "ranged spell attack at target". Are these meant to target only creatures like a lot PHB spells, such as Frostbite and Chromatic Orb, or is it meant to allow them to target objects as well, such as Firebolt where it specifies as such? Thanks for making this Supplement btw!

Ite

AKA
Ite
Hi!, I've been using this supplement for a bit in my homebrew world. A question on some of the attack materia and others, a lot of it specifies "a target you can see" then says "the creature takes x damage" or in the case of Fire it's "target in range" then "ranged spell attack at target". Are these meant to target only creatures like a lot PHB spells, such as Frostbite and Chromatic Orb, or is it meant to allow them to target objects as well, such as Firebolt where it specifies as such? Thanks for making this Supplement btw!
Hmmm! Thank you for this feedback! Glad you’re enjoying the supplement! In my home game they are able to use it on objects, and they do to great effect! (One has a lightning materia that they use exclusively to intimidate people lol)

I’ll clean up the language to be more like firebolt, thanks so much!

Edit: here’s the draft language on acid which is probably the more complicated of the lot cause it does residual damage:

image.jpg

Hilariously, this language reminds me of 2e D&D more than 5e.

Last edited:

JeffAndNikki

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
Jeff/Nikki
Been a while since I was last here. Glad I checked out the update, and saw tamsynnimogen's comment about the everyone is magical change. Pretty sure that's how it used to be, minus the d4 and d20 bit, as well as how to handle the AP situation. I do like what's all there currently!

Ite

AKA
Ite
Materia continues to trickle into my home game. As a quest reward, a silver dragon offered my PCs one materia each. This was a level 14 party but the materia were brand new - the results were quite epic even with one-star materia, the players loved it.

The paladin chose Jump and used it to leap onto an airship during a climactic combat. Since that session I have made small modifications to Jump

Jump

common command materia

As a bonus action, you can use this special Jump ability: you jump 10 feet or you extend a jump by 10 feet. Jump forces you to use the full movement rate of the ability (you cannot only jump 5 feet, for instance) and so you require either the length or the height to allow for the movement. Jump uses your movement speed as normal, possibly ending your turn mid-air. You are immune to falling damage during your Jump movement.

If you make a melee weapon attack immediately at the end of Jump (through your action or by use of the Added Strike materia) you deal an extra 1d6 damage if your first attack hits.

Added Strike is the only support materia that links with Jump.

★★ (2,700 AP) The length of Jump is increased to 20 feet, and the extra damage dealt by the melee attack is increased to 2d6.

★★★ (34,000 AP) Jump 30 feet, extra damage 3d6.

★★★★ (100,000 AP) Jump 40 feet, extra damage 4d6.

★★★★★ (225,000 AP) MASTER, Jump 50 feet, extra damage 5d6.

The other materia chosen were Speak, Copy, Restore, and Cone (which was given to the PC with Restore for a group heal option). All are working as intended.

In another campaign I am running (Level 5 PCs) they faced off against a boss who was using the Speed Plus materia - his defeat put the materia into their hands. Updates as they come

So that's all the updates I have for you. Running the game has definitely taken priority over tinkering with this system, although I am slowly compiling ver. 2.0 Here's a sneak peak as to the basic rule changes (linked slots? carbon bangles? what is this, FF7?)

1693595361530.png

1693594779418.png

Those are the examples given in the Book of Materia - I'm going to leave other items to the imagination of DMs, although the huge list of weapons and armor at the top of this page should provide DMs with more inspiration. I take thorough notes with Obsidian in my home game, here are two of the items worn by PCs:

1693597066934.png
1693598248460.png

Worldbuilding-wise, FF7 has a problem. (well, many problems, but this in particular). Mechanically, this materia slot system works better with both 5e and FF7's materia system -- however, the plot of FF7 doesn't always require materia to be slotted in order to use it. I would normally lay the blame on Advent Children, but this also goes back to the Black and White materia in the original FF7. A case could be made for who exactly uses those materia, where they use them, etc. but the fact of the matter is that the game's seemingly hard magic system has a few inconsistencies. This is why the alpha test of The Book of Materia did not require materia slots. Ultimately, however, the slot system feels better and helps streamline the system and integrate it with what's already established in 5e.

No progress has been made on the bestiary or DM's Guide sections - the former hasn't needed me to prioritize it, and the latter is waiting on more feedback from folks like you! As a parting gift, I'll just leave this epic screenshot from Ever Crisis of a katana with three materia slots. I'm definitely going to use this as a placeholder image in ver. 2 (intended to be replaced by original art). On the page that features this art is a handy chart to help players reference their Magic Bonus. Enjoy!

1693596213331.png

Last edited:

tamsynnimogen

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Tamsynn
looking good. just a quick one. if an item requires attunement but also has materia slots is it 1 attunement for the item and 1 for each slot or do you get access to the slots once attuned to the item?

Ite

AKA
Ite
looking good. just a quick one. if an item requires attunement but also has materia slots is it 1 attunement for the item and 1 for each slot or do you get access to the slots once attuned to the item?

Great question! Only the 1 attunement is needed (attunement to the item) and then voila! You benefit from any “slots” that are considered part of that item, allowing you to toss in a materia as an action and start using away! 😵

Naturally, this works best with an item that already requires attunement such as a Holy Avenger or a Helm of Brilliance. An item that doesn’t usually require attunement, such as a +1 sword, requires attunement to benefit from its materia slots.

Top Bottom