• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Trace of Two Pasts novel discussion

ForceStealer

Double Growth
So I was accidentally up until 2 reading this last night. It's really good! I'm still in Tifa's section, and I confess I was so focused on how they could have Tifa reminiscing about the points of her life without running into issues with the things I know she either doesn't remember or is uncomfortable bringing up that I failed to appreciate that 7+ years is a long time where a lot of other shit can happen :whistle: Or indeed the large swaths or her known backstory for which we never received any details.

Firstly, Nojima's novel-writing has really improved over the years since OtWtaS. Or at least his translator has. OtWtaS often felt, understandably, like reading a game script, but the scenes here are much more evocative and descriptive. Not that it's high prose or anything, but descriptions of the finer points of Zangan's training forms, foods, and indeed the pain and effects of the wound from Sephiroth's sword all brought me along with them.
Most impressively, it really drives home the tragedy of the Nibelheim Incident (which she doesn't run through again, nervously declaring "It all went like Cloud said, I don't have anything else to say about it!"), just by giving you a sense of the every day life she had, the people she knew, her cat, her sense of losing it all when she wakes up in Midgar, the appreciation for the fact that she's 15 for all of it. The Incident is such established lore in our heads, it does a good job of humanizing the thing. It also accentuates the coming tragedy of Sector 7, or would if anyone actually died :desu:

The periodic flash-forwards are nice too, with small interactions from her telling the story to Aerith or Red. Obviously any time I can spend with them is cherished :) It's fun when it starts to go real deep into her unsure of her feelings for Cloud while on her way to meet him at the water tower or confusion at certain things and you realize "boy is she just spilling all this to the party?" and then it flashes forward to Barret or someone getting her attention saying she went silent there for a bit :monster:

The part that really had me struggling to put it down last night, though, was her arrival in Midgar. Recovering from the injury, finding work to pay the medical debt, her initial living setup and slowly becoming familiar with the way the slums work. It all flows very naturally and I find it fascinating. I couldn't believe that I had forgotten that this was a a completely unexplored part of Tifa's story.

Trying to avoid specific spoilers in this thread might be silly since people have already discussed the whole thing, but maybe if you haven't read it yet, this will be nice :P But obviously I recommend it. So far it's been really enjoyable.

@Ite Have/are you read/ing it? The Midgar parts in particular have put me in mind of your novelization.

Last edited:

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
^ I got my own copy last week and I've read up to roughly the same point. It's a very enjoyable read. I agree with pretty much all the points you've mentioned. I really liked seeing her journey to rebuild herself (physically, mentally, material possessions, social groups) starting from rock bottom in Midgar, which is something like a different world. I find it relatable somehow. Her grit is admirable.
Good stuff.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Totally. That among all the things she lost was also her muscles. Being uncomfortable with
kicking the shit out of that trooper
and stuff like that, as you say, rebuilding herself. It all feels both very in-character, and works to explain how she becomes as heroic as she eventually does.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Yeah, if you've ever had to spend some time in a cast, you know what muscle loss is about!
Still, recovery journeys are interesting. To take on a tangent, I often feel like recovery processes are special because they're one of the few experiences where your body stats can improve measurably at the sort of pace you'd only see otherwise in rpgs.
Anyhow, back to Tifa, it is indeed very coherent with her character - how she often takes a while to make up her mind but totally goes all in once she's decided.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Got my copy the day before the street date luckily, and binge read it all in two days.

It's probably the most grounded work in the ff7 canon, due I assume in no small part to the fact we already knew the most significant parts of A and T's back stories. I'm glad Nojima didn't try to invent any suspension of disbelief stretching new grand storyline fir the girls and instead focused on their day to day lives. Elaborating on stuff like how Tifa got into martial arts and how she handled being thrust into a whole new world after Nibelheim. I also find it funny it took 25 years for it to be covered how she even met Barret.

The Aerith half is also good, though I think it's the less interesting of the two. I find it funny that the whole set up for it seems predicated on explaining why Elmyra has such a nice house lol. I wonder if they have more planned for her considering the story pointedly doesn't cover how she got to be the town sweetheart or how she met the other Turks besides Tseng.

SilverArrow20XX

Pro Adventurer
The translator is Stephen Kohler, the same guy who did DotF, and seems excellent at localizing.
The books both read very naturally, instead of like awkward scripts, so I assume it's his doing.
I look forward to getting to Picturing the Past, to see how different it feels.

Finished the first chapter, and noticed a little inconsistency with the timeline.
Tifa turns 13 after Cloud leaves, but she should have already been like, 13 and a half in December 0000.

Rhoey

Follow your heart.
AKA
Nikki
Got my copy the day before the street date luckily, and binge read it all in two days.

It's probably the most grounded work in the ff7 canon, due I assume in no small part to the fact we already knew the most significant parts of A and T's back stories. I'm glad Nojima didn't try to invent any suspension of disbelief stretching new grand storyline fir the girls and instead focused on their day to day lives. Elaborating on stuff like how Tifa got into martial arts and how she handled being thrust into a whole new world after Nibelheim. I also find it funny it took 25 years for it to be covered how she even met Barret.

The Aerith half is also good, though I think it's the less interesting of the two. I find it funny that the whole set up for it seems predicated on explaining why Elmyra has such a nice house lol. I wonder if they have more planned for her considering the story pointedly doesn't cover how she got to be the town sweetheart or how she met the other Turks besides Tseng.
I agree, I found Tifa's story more interesting; her connection to Cloud, learning martial arts, the loss of her father, her injury by Sephiroth, and her road to recovery. How she was basically extorted/scammed and tricked into working for free to pay off her medical debt, and how she became the owner of Seventh Heaven, met Barret and the gang, etc. I liked the ordinary, mundane aspect of it all. Selling steamed buns to get by, how tough she had it.

I also enjoyed learning that Elmyra is secretly a gun-toting badass. It was also refreshing to learn that Aerith was once a typical normal teenager slamming doors, yelling at her mom, running away from home, etc. But she also started working at gentle age of 13 to support their small family. I can imagine the property tax on that house can't be cheap.

I greatly enjoyed both stories, and loved the idea that Tifa and Aerith were having a moment in private, confiding in each other like that.

I've always wondered about how she and Ifalna escaped, where she went to school, what Elmyra did for work, etc, and I feel like the story answered my questions.

As for how Aerith came to be the town sweetheart, likely has to do with how involved she is with her community, doing a lot of charity work, I'd imagine she is well liked because she takes an interest in people's lives, getting to know them, and giving everyone a fair chance.

I also don't know if anyone noticed it, but in Remake, if you take a look at the Community Center of Sector 4 (the one next to the Leaf House), there are some paintings of pigeons and colorful orbs and stuff, and the style is very reminiscent of the mural in the Shinra building. It's not confirmed or anything, but I have a feeling that Aerith might have painted those at the Rec center. She likely also taught the kids how to cultivate food. She's very involved with her community and apparently has great social skills and can chat anyone up and makes friends wherever she goes, because she's just a generally pleasant and fun person to be around.

Oh yeah, and I loved that Aerith and Biggs are technically childhood friends.

BioTeach

Pro Adventurer
I've been working my way through the book as well and I am truly enjoying it. I read the fan translations early on so I'm not going into it blind, but even so I'm finding it a good read.
Tifa's part is definitely everything I would have expected it to be (her past in Nibelheim and her early days in Midgar).
But Aerith's was a little lacking for me. I think it focused too much on the Gainsboroughs business/gang connections but I guess that was influential in her childhood. I would've expected and enjoyed more interaction with the Turks (but that's probably just because I'm a Turk fan)
Overall though I think it's a really neat look at these two characters and it was nice to have an addition to the compilation that didn't revolve around some newly contrived world-ending catastrophe. I hope we get more books like it in the future.

SilverArrow20XX

Pro Adventurer
So Marle was apparently having adventures in the Slums at age 15.
Which means she can't be much older than 50. (Page 116)
Doesn't seem right.
Cross checked with Peko's fan translation, and it doesn't specify the adventures being in the Slums. That would make more sense.

Last edited:

BioTeach

Pro Adventurer
One part from Aerith's story that I'm very interested in was this description of Clay's death: "Clay had perished, and in his moment of death, he stood in that precipice where his soul joined the planet, and was given the chance to glimpse the one place in the world he wished to be most." If Clay, at his moment of death, can have the chance to be where he wants to be most, then shouldn't Zack have the same chance at his moment of death? To me, it's bringing to mind the ending of Intermission where Zack has returned to the church, which was likely his intended destination at his time of death and surely the "one place in the world he wanted to be most" since that's where he would expect Aerith to be. I know the meaning of that Zack scene has been debated to death already so I'm not trying to start anything here, I just thought it was an odd detail to include in Clay's death if it wasn't going to end up being significant elsewhere.

SilverArrow20XX

Pro Adventurer
What gets me about Clay's death, is that, assuming the helicopter crash was before his scheduled vacation time, he was walking towards Midgar, on foot, wounded, for at least 10 days before finally dying, when Aerith sensed it.
It was probably this single minded focus of getting to Elmyra that allowed him to see her.
Zack's final moments in contrast, were more directly focused on Cloud, and less drawn out. And then he had Angeal waiting for him on the other side.

Top Bottom