• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

SPOILERS FFVII:R Chapter 12 Spoiler Discussion

Smoothie King

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pat
Tonight was the third time I've played through this chapter (first was on release and second was immediately after I finished the first playthrough).

So it's been a year. The first time I played it I thought it was great, but a little off for some reason. This time, though, it completely blew me away. For whatever reason, a year of distance made it so much more powerful. I think it was executed absolutely brilliantly. I think without the "awe" of playing FFVII Remake, this time I was able to appreciate it in the same way I appreciated the original. I wasn't comparing it to anything, I wasn't looking for similarities or differences. I was simply experiencing it as the characters experienced it. That entire segment is one of the most evil fucking acts in the history of entertainment, let alone video games. The weight of this story is just so fucking heavy .

Also, one last thought. Biggs (even Jessie, possibly) may be alive in some alternate timeline, but there is no way that any of them survived in the world we're playing in. Not a prayer. Even if they were alive when we were fighting the turks, they ain't alive anymore. No one survives that.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
After many playthroughs, I noticed a new plate inconsistency that I haven't seen pointed out before.

The skybox in Chapter 12 changes as Cloud ascends the pillar. From the ground, the skybox correctly shows the collapsed Sector 6 plate. However, once on the pillar, the skybox changes to one where the plate is complete.

My video shows this a lot clearer.

Interestingly, I noticed during the Reno/Rude fight that the broken plate is still there, it's just on the wrong side. The skybox is seemingly reversed. This is largely hidden by the pillar itself.

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE_20230424214122.jpg

Last edited:

Golden Ear

Pro Adventurer
AKA
M. Prod
None of us know for sure how much they were scrambling behind the scenes to get this game on time, considering development issues from bringing the game in house after Cyber Connect 2. I would imagine this contributed at least in part to things like the texture problems and some of the kind of inconsistencies we see from the plates and sectors.

However imo, I think it's likely they now have their ducks in a row going forward into Rebirth.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
... considering development issues from bringing the game in house after Cyber Connect 2.

We'll never know for sure what impact CC2 had on Remake's development. However, it should be noted that the project moved in-house in 2017, three years before release. I feel like that's more than enough time to iron out any issues.

Complete speculation, but if I had to guess, I'd say that the plate inconsistencies were caused by some kind of scheduling conflict between Image Studio Division and Creative Business Unit 1.

Image Studio Division (the people who develop all of the company's CGI) modeled the Midgar we see in skyboxes and pre-rendered videos. At the same time, Creative Business Unit 1 modeled the Midgar we actually play through. This process takes a lot longer and is where all the environmental details are solidified. However, I don't think Creative Business Unit 1 was able to pass that back to Image Studio Division and have them update their assets, or make new ones as required. I presume Image Studio Division were too busy with other projects as they work on a lot of SE games.

Again, it's speculation, but if we're noticing it, then the developers must as well because they're otherwise very detail-minded.

Golden Ear

Pro Adventurer
AKA
M. Prod
Playing through Remake I felt that a lot of attention was put towards developing things like the combat system (which is great) but other aspects of the game felt like it could use improvements. I'm hoping that now that they have got a lot of the core game design mechanics down that the level/area design is much more interactive and interesting going into Rebirth. I felt some of the dungeon design felt a bit half assed to me so I'm hoping it was down to not having enough time to really develop/polish and make these things better. Also a lot of the NPC's felt unpolished really jank looking as well and a chunk of the side-quests felt tacked on and uninteresting (things like the fetch quests-finding cats and orphans with swords etc) It would suck if these issues were still present going into Rebirth.

Last edited:

msia2k75

Pro Adventurer
Playing through Remake I felt that a lot of attention was put towards developing things like the combat system (which is great) but other aspects of the game felt like it could use improvements. I'm hoping that now that they have got a lot of the core game design mechanics down that the level/area design is much more interactive and interesting going into Rebirth. I felt some of the dungeon design felt a bit half assed to me so I'm hoping it was down to not having enough time to really develop/polish and make these things better. Also a lot of the NPC's felt unpolished really jank looking as well and a chunk of the side-quests felt tacked on and uninteresting (things like the fetch quests-finding cats and orphans with swords etc) It would suck if these issues were still present going into Rebirth.

IMO, this has never been the CBU1 strongest point...

Top Bottom