• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Final Fantasy IX

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
All right, because this particular bout of shenanigans has its own thread, I am going to politely ask (as a lay person) that opinions about the “review” and it’s author go there so that this can remain a general FF9 thread.

Something from that thread that pertains to IX generally:

As was already pointed out, 9s drop in sales, was mostly due to its release… It was released after ps2 had already dropped, and people were anticipating 10. Not because of the quality of the game. Again, it's been shown 9 has for the most part, always been high up on the ranking of ff games.

I often wonder why the subject of IX’s poor sales doesn’t take VIII into account more, which had crazy day 1 sales thanks to VII, but its reception was… mixed. The myth of it being some kind of contest between Sakaguchi and NKN feels like a rigged game when NKN had the markedly worse product, but came out first.

What’s that term in Stand-Up Comedy when you intentionally bomb your opening set in order to ruin the audience for the closer?

Last edited:

NC1234567

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Jman
The stuff with the black mages was pretty pretentious:

Zidane "Are you the one who makes the Mist!?"

"It is not produced. Mist is a by-product of the refining process. It is discharged through the roots."

"By-product"? It's literally the souls of the inhabitants of Gaia that have been prevented from returning to Gaia's crystal, captured within the roots of the Iifa Tree and then expelled by the roots above ground as "Mist", the Ultimania clearly states this, as does the FF Wikia: "Mist is distributed through the Iifa Tree's roots and is, in fact, the Gaian souls being refused to return to the crystal and expelled to flow back into Gaia's atmosphere instead. These stagnant and tormented souls are reborn as monsters."

The Black Mages are made from the Mist, which is actually the souls of deceased Gaia inhabitants, this means that the Black Mages are actually dead people resurrected (if only for a short while) into artificial doll bodies, which would actually all be very interesting stuff, but unfortunately the game doesn't really take advantage of this and instead cheaply opts to rip-off "Blade Runner", which doesn't even fit. With Blade Runner it had androids that gained sentience, but here with IX, the Black Mages are literal "Ghosts inside the shells", which makes all their ramblings about death pretentious and melodramatic when they are technically already dead, they just couldn't return to the crystal and be properly reincarnated.

Sure, Vivi and the other mages don't really know all this at this point, but they should have at least had some recollections or vague memories of when they were human (or any other anthropomorphic creatures like the rat people) which would continue grow and they would remember more who they were originally which would have been especially interesting with Vivi. Yet we get nonsense like how they "don't know what jokes or humans are". This was all really wasted potential.

I often wonder why the subject of IX’s poor sales doesn’t take VIII into account more, which had crazy day 1 sales thanks to VII, but its reception was… mixed. The myth of it being some kind of contest between Sakaguchi and NKN feels like a rigged game when NKN had the markedly worse product, but came out first.

What’s that term in Stand-Up Comedy when you intentionally bomb your opening set in order to ruin the audience for the closer?
Who is NKN? Of course if IX came out before VIII and it had the crazy day one sales that VIII had, I’m pretty sure IX would have had more mixed reception, as more people would have noticed certain things about IX, like Garnet rendering all your previous efforts pointless.

There is also Final Fantasy? Whatever:

Last edited:

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Sure, IX's script can be dumb. I remember a big unwinnable fight with Beatrix that could have been prevented entirely if she noticed Garnet 3 feet away on the couch. It's awesomely bad.

Honestly though? It's a pretty fun game. All this criticism made me remember what I enjoyed about it. Sort of like reverse hype.

Might pick it up on Switch this time (50% sale thru the 29th!)

Reactions: Ite

NC1234567

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Jman
Sure, IX's script can be dumb. I remember a big unwinnable fight with Beatrix that could have been prevented entirely if she noticed Garnet 3 feet away on the couch. It's awesomely bad.

Honestly though? It's a pretty fun game. All this criticism made me remember what I enjoyed about it. Sort of like reverse hype.

Might pick it up on Switch this time (50% sale thru the 29th!)
Well at least someone is acknowledging Beatrix being a poorly written character and overpowered Mary Sue.

roku

Pro Adventurer
If the ffix remake does happen I hope they show events at Alexandria castle that happened off screen. With Freya, Steiner and Beatrix. Also have Freya reunite with Fratley on screen. That'd be my only story additions.

Ghost X

@Lestat , have confidence in the mods (:awesome:), and/or alert us, but don't add fuel to the fire yourself. It is the defensive driving of forum participation :P. Did you not read my recent and very similar spiel in regards to my critique of how members responded to the likes of 1rstClassSoldier? But yes, @NC1234567 , do not continue a demonstrably unproductive discussion from a closed thread in another thread, especially immediately after I closed it. A bit on the nose, as it were. That kind of behaviour would be the foolish last words of forum participation :mon:.

As for the topic of what I'd want in a remake of FFIX. I'd like them to hint at a wider story of the world(s), which could be explored in further games. To me, Terra and Gaia feel made specifically for the story that occurred in FFIX to happen and nothing more. Compare that to something like FFXII's Ivalice, which didn't feel so contained, for lack of better description. At least I felt there was more to the world, and that FFXII's story was but an episode (I realise there are other games that take place in Ivalice, but that's not what I mean). Would be curious if any fan fiction engages in a bit of worldbuilding and explores a wider narrative in the universe of FFIX... not that I would read them :mon:.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
@NC1234567

I am curious about your review though. Is this meant for all videogame fans? My niece (14) is getting into games. She's never played final fantasy, and I'd want to show her positive and negative reviews of my favorite game

NC1234567

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Jman
@Lestat , have confidence in the mods (:awesome:), and/or alert us, but don't add fuel to the fire yourself. It is the defensive driving of forum participation :P. Did you not read my recent and very similar spiel in regards to my critique of how members responded to the likes of 1rstClassSoldier? But yes, @NC1234567 , do not continue a demonstrably unproductive discussion from a closed thread in another thread, especially immediately after I closed it. A bit on the nose, as it were. That kind of behaviour would be the foolish last words of forum participation :mon:.

As for the topic of what I'd want in a remake of FFIX. I'd like them to hint at a wider story of the world(s), which could be explored in further games. To me, Terra and Gaia feel made specifically for the story that occurred in FFIX to happen and nothing more. Compare that to something like FFXII's Ivalice, which didn't feel so contained, for lack of better description. At least I felt there was more to the world, and that FFXII's story was but an episode (I realise there are other games that take place in Ivalice, but that's not what I mean). Would be curious if any fan fiction engages in a bit of worldbuilding and explores a wider narrative in the universe of FFIX... not that I would read them :mon:.

I was trying to be productive, but when people refuse to even read your points to discuss them and strawman you, it’s kind of hard to keep things civil, my patience was really thinning back there. How can you have quality discussion when someone isn’t even going to try and understand what you are trying to say? I am going to edit the first chapter a bit anyways since looking back some of those lines were just things that weren’t really that important in Disk 1 Alexandria.

What did 1rstClassSoldier say anyways?

I am curious about your review though. Is this meant for all videogame fans? My niece (14) is getting into games. She's never played final fantasy, and I'd want to show her positive and negative reviews of my favorite game
That and Final Fantasy players in general, I’m just trying to shed some light on questionable parts in IX, especially with the announcement of the IX cartoon and a possible IX Remake also coming out, considering that the VII Remake did improved on and fix a lot of story elements from the original in the Midgar Segment (ignoring the whispers, who even then, I just saw as a ham-handed metaphorical middle finger to the nostalgia fanboys who hate change and just wanted the exact same game but with updated graphics and no attempts to change and fix any bad writing from the original), I am hoping that a IX Remake will follow the lead and also change and improved on things from the original IX as well.

The VII Remake’s improvements can all be examined here:

https://www-finalfantasywhatever-co..._sl=ru&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_sch=http

Last edited:

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
That and Final Fantasy players in general, I’m just trying to shed some light on questionable parts in IX, especially with the announcement of the IX cartoon and a possible IX Remake

And you are entitled to your opinion. I'm on ch 6 now. As someone else said, I wish you would've condensed the review. There's way too many filler comments that aren't necessary at all.

When I'm done going through it, and after filtering out all of the nonsense, I'll DM you. Ff9 is my favorite game, so I like talking about it.

Last edited:

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Got any examples? Besides chapter one, I mean.
Respectfully, there are many in each ch. Here's a really easy one though. Ch 5

"Maybe you should be more jealous Zidane, considering your significant other drugged and abandoned you. There is more chemistry between these moogles than with you and Dagger."

You're comparing adult moogles, who were already in a relationship, to teenagers who weren't even close to being in one. Garnet was def not Zidane's sig other lol.

this one too

"I... see a moogle in a pink bathing suit?
I... uh... I don't even. What the eff?!"

Such a pointless comment

Last edited:

Ghost X

I've already instructed that discussion from the other thread not be continued here, and I fail to see how you could argue this current discussion is divorced from that thread, given it is once again a back and forth about the same cited work? This is not even plausibly deniable. Feel free to continue the convo in private, but I'm not interested in another devolution, which you yourself participated in, @Pandemonium . I'm being awfully generous here in not dishing out warnings. Once again, if there are any objections, take it up with staff.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Sorry about that. No excuses. I should've just left it at "I'll DM you when I'm done reading it."

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
An FFIX remake announcement would finally be the thing that would make me buy a PS5 but this sorta stuff has been 'leaking' for a while so I'm very skeptical right now

Top Bottom