See You On The Other Side (No-Story Mode)

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I thought about bumping my last “I’m going dark until I finish the game” thread, but it aged like milk lol, not only am I (a) the wrong gender but also I (b) said I wasn’t going to continue with the series (see below) (c) said I wasn’t going to disrupt conversations with my Debbie Downerism (I consistently fail to do so) and (d) said I would be more or less leaving TLS and people should just assume that I would agree with whatever was said by a couple of users who have since been banned for TERFism (yikes).

New thread time!

So… it looks like I am going to borrow a PS5 and play Rebirth on release after all. Saying that feels like I’m announcing to my support group that I’m going back to an abusive relationship, but in this case I’m announcing it to the abuser’s fan club haha.

However, the reason why I am playing it on release despite being fully checked out of the Remake project, is because I had a silly idea as to how to experience the game that I think is going to be pretty singular, and I can’t really do it once the spoilers flood the internet.

This idea has reinvigorated me, given me just a little bit of hype for Rebirth, and I’m actually excited to join the conversation after completion, not (as much of a) Debbie Downer but from a unique angle. This is how I’m playing the game:

- I am turning voice acting volume to 0.
- I am turning subtitles off.
- I am turning side dialogue off.

“Wtf?” I hear you say (unless you’ve already heard me say this on the Discord). Am I gonna just stumble through the game blind and ignorant? How will I know what’s going on? Well let me put it this way:

- You can’t turn off quest markers and I like getting lost in the world anyway
- I have an encyclopedic knowledge of the OG
- I have no interest in seeing how they change things, basically, if I don’t intuitively understand what’s going on, I don’t have any desire to be informed
- If characters are standing where they were standing in the OG, and flapping their pretty mouths at one another, then to me they will be somewhat following the script I know instead of waxing pseudophilosophical about timelines.
- When the un-ignorable, insane, bombastic, scenery-chewing diversions (like the Biggs and Zack team-up or whatever the hell the final boss is going to be) resolve, my brain won’t hold really hold on to them, like, they won’t be cohesive with the parts of the game that are more like a remake. They’ll fade from my memory like dreams or fanfiction and won’t overshadow the bits I’m interested in. I may even appreciate them!

So that’s that. I am going to mosey through the game on what I’ll call “No-Story Mode.” After finishing I’ll come back and figure out what the hell the weirder stuff was from reading the spoiler threads. I like all of you better than the storytellers at Square Enix anyway, so hearing it from you actually sounds kind of nice actually. I’m sure I’ll read Rebirth’s script eventually, but that’s the way I’m going to do it. This way, I can at least be that weird trans girl who did the novelty no-story playthrough instead of just another neckbeard OG purist rebirth hater.

And with that, I’m going more or less dark until I finish the game. I fully welcome sneers of derision, guffaws, and mockery down below - I find this just as dumb and funny as you.

See you on the other side.

Leafonthebreeze

Any/All
AKA
Leaf
As someone who regularly plays games in ways they were really not meant to be played because it scratches a specific itch in my brain, I say you do you. If it means you have a better time in the game than you otherwise would have, I see no reason why you shouldn't. Have fun!

Reactions: Ite
Top Bottom