Final Fantasy IX

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Sweet Christmas. If IX is a rumor I'll live, but Tactics? Don't play with my emotions like that!

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
The attention to detail is astounding… which is why I am wondering why they replaced General Madelene with a Skyrim looking dudebro! That’s General Madelene! :wacky:

Edit: I think that the horned helmet is trying to evoke WoL.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Thinking about replaying this game.

Is the Moguri Mod worth checking out? Any other mods that would be good?

The Moguri mod isn’t only awesome, it just got an update! No better time to play than now.

Here’s where to start. In your Memoria mod settings, here is what you definitely want to use:

• Moguri mod (backgrounds/widescreen only)
  • Steal Rate 100% (technically a cheat, but trust me)
  • Change font - Original PSX looks the best
  • Battle UI - choose PSX layout
  • Battle Speed - Change the slider to 1.3x (returning players won’t even notice this… until they turn it off).

Here are the settings I do not recommend:

• Any changes to frame rate, including FMVs. IMO they smooth out all the movement too much and everything looks gooey. Worse, if you turn it on and then decide you don’t like it, you have to delete everything and re-install, losing your saves.
  • Any mod that changes gameplay/story or adds playable characters etc. Leave it for the fanfic writers or your second playthrough.
  • Cell-shaded sprites — ymmv but I don’t think it’s looks as good as the default sprites or the realistic sprite overhaul, which I haven’t tried yet but it’s way better looking than the Gaussian blur filter on the cell shaded sprites.
  • ECHO-S or any voice acting mod. Kudos to the team, but it’s simply not professional grade.
  • Orchestral soundtrack. Sorry, but this is a major downgrade. Still midi, except it’s not mixed as well and you lose that cool synth/rock/orchestra vibe that made Uematsu’s music famous in the first place. Hulgren’s arrangements aren’t better than the original tracks, they’re just different, and never for the better.

Here are some optional things you might want to try:

• Turn-based combat: replaces the FF4-9 ATB system with FFX’s turn-based combat, if you prefer turn-based combat it pulls it off really well.
  • Replace Tetra Master with Triple Triad — this is a f%$& yes from me
  • PSX button mapping. I can’t read XBOX controller buttons, but the PSX layout (triangle, square etc) is second nature to me.

Hope this helps and enjoy the game! It really is one of the best, and my personal fave.

Edit: lol you said replay. Well I stand by everything anyway! Haha.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
The Moguri mod isn’t only awesome, it just got an update! No better time to play than now.

Here’s where to start. In your Memoria mod settings, here is what you definitely want to use:

• Moguri mod (backgrounds/widescreen only)
  • Steal Rate 100% (technically a cheat, but trust me)
  • Change font - Original PSX looks the best
  • Battle UI - choose PSX layout
  • Battle Speed - Change the slider to 1.3x (returning players won’t even notice this… until they turn it off).

Here are the settings I do not recommend:

• Any changes to frame rate, including FMVs. IMO they smooth out all the movement too much and everything looks gooey. Worse, if you turn it on and then decide you don’t like it, you have to delete everything and re-install, losing your saves.
  • Any mod that changes gameplay/story or adds playable characters etc. Leave it for the fanfic writers or your second playthrough.
  • Cell-shaded sprites — ymmv but I don’t think it’s looks as good as the default sprites or the realistic sprite overhaul, which I haven’t tried yet but it’s way better looking than the Gaussian blur filter on the cell shaded sprites.
  • ECHO-S or any voice acting mod. Kudos to the team, but it’s simply not professional grade.
  • Orchestral soundtrack. Sorry, but this is a major downgrade. Still midi, except it’s not mixed as well and you lose that cool synth/rock/orchestra vibe that made Uematsu’s music famous in the first place. Hulgren’s arrangements aren’t better than the original tracks, they’re just different, and never for the better.

Here are some optional things you might want to try:

• Turn-based combat: replaces the FF4-9 ATB system with FFX’s turn-based combat, if you prefer turn-based combat it pulls it off really well.
  • Replace Tetra Master with Triple Triad — this is a f%$& yes from me
  • PSX button mapping. I can’t read XBOX controller buttons, but the PSX layout (triangle, square etc) is second nature to me.

Hope this helps and enjoy the game! It really is one of the best, and my personal fave.

Edit: lol you said replay. Well I stand by everything anyway! Haha.
All those sound great. Glad there are mods that will replicate playing it on an original PlayStation. I’ll definitely get most of those. Don’t know about the steal rate one though… my OCD will not let me cheat because then I don’t consider it a completed playthrough.

And yeah, I’ve played FF9 loads of times but just standard and no mods.

Reactions: Ite

Ite

AKA
Ite
Don’t know about the steal rate one though… my OCD will not let me cheat because then I don’t consider it a completed playthrough.
Yeah I see what you mean. There’s another one that removes the timer for Excalibur II but I don’t use it, because Excalibur II is not for me, you know? I also keep the Dagger’s concentration checks as normal, because my goal is always to have an enhanced but still “canon” experience.

With stealing, however, I think of it like this: I have spent probably 10 hours of my life or more trying to steal from Hill Gigas alone, and over the course of 5 or so playthroughs, probably another few hours failing to steal from other enemies in the game. If I play the game again, it’s a sure thing that I’m going to steal eventually — I like playing a thief, I like that a thief class is the protagonist, so I like stealing all the goods before getting into the battle proper, so I have Zidane stealing over and over while the other party members simply playing Defense.

This is not fun anymore, and it’s not difficult, I have unlimited tries, and can keep myself alive just fine, so it’s just a waste of my time.

The 100% steal cheat simply removes the actual time in my day that I spend re-rolling the die. It doesn’t functionally change anything about what happens in the gameplay. So, I’m fine with it.

The nice thing about it is that you can toggle it on or off every time you boot up the game. So, if you change your mind after accidentally killing Hill Gigas for the 30th time before getting the Fairy Flute, just toggle it, you’ve earned it haha.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Sorry to double post, but I almost forgot! In the Memoria setting you can set it so that only the PSX speech bubbles show up, and not the card bubble they added with the Steam release. So much nicer to look at!

Top Bottom