Angi's Philosophy (Square Enix Real Time Tech Demo)

Edley

Pray for Sound
AKA
Issac Dian, Dudley, Chev Chelios

Final Fantasy Uncharted? I'm not sure what sort of game this tech would lead to, but it looked cool.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Big whoop.

Show me some fucking games.

Z

Zealkin

XIII Versus the prequel.

No but seriously, this was just confusing and it's supposed to be a trailer?

Edley

Pray for Sound
AKA
Issac Dian, Dudley, Chev Chelios
It's just a demonstration of the new luminous engine as in, never mind sense we have powerful computers. As Dacon so eloquently put there's not really a game here.

Splintered

unsavory tart
Meh, not a game so I can't get excited but still interesting enough to see.

tbh I keep hearing about this being predicted to be the back years of the current console generations, so isn't this kind of late? I don't know anything about engines, but wouldn't they have to remake it if Sony and Microsoft do decide to push out new consoles?

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
This would be very cool if this were a game from SE, or if it were from a company who already had a reputation of being up front with producing games. Sadly, this is coming from a company who has been pretty much dicking their consumers a lot for the past few years. Not everything Square Enix has done has been bad, but even something like this needs substance to back it up.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I just want games christ

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
The only fucking

japanese games that got a showing at all were what?

Resident Evil 6 and fucking Metal Gear Rising?

FFS where are the RPGs and shit

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
The only fucking

japanese games that got a showing at all were what?

Resident Evil 6 and fucking Metal Gear Rising?

FFS where are the RPGs and shit

And KH3D and Nintendo games and another PlatinumGames title for Wii U but nothing that was really AAA and made you go "holy fucking shit", yeah.

Man, I just wanted one new thing that really blows me away.

I was hoping for Kojima showing off some FoxEngine stuff, Project Ogre, maybe even a short MGS5 teaser or something.

Ah well, that's more of an E3 topic rant I guess.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
"People LOVE our classic RPGS, but that's not enough anymore. What else do people love? WAR GAMES, THEY LOVE SHOOT EM UP WAR GAMES, LET'S GET SOME GUNS IN HERE. What else? Shit, Resident Evil's pretty popular, let's shoot up that dog with some mysterious fluid and watch that abomination maul her. People love Coca-Cola too, have that bitch grab a bottle of coke. And let's get a dragon as the motherfucking cherry on top.

ARE YOU INTERESTED YET

IS IT WORKING???"

AKA
L, Castiel, Scotty Mc Dickerson
Anyone else think they based the character design of that girl off of
once-upon-a-time-75.jpg

Splintered

unsavory tart
I know shit about engines so everything I get, I learn from strangers on the internet
Since 2006 (or so we can assume,) Square Enix has been developing a separate system specifically to push the quality of in-game cinematics up high enough that they can reduce the amount of cutscenes in order to minimize the disk space required [for Final Fantasy XIII Versus.] (Looking at the 3 discs on XBox for XIII..)
This system has been dubbed the ‘Luminous Engine,’ and is worked on out-of-studio from Square, and instead is at a studio called ‘LUMINOUS STUDIO.’ How fitting.
Some copy-paste excerpts to further explain:
Thanks to the LUMINOUS STUDIO engine, the demo video can depict high quality “real time computer graphics:”

1. [These in-game graphics are displayed] at the same level as “pre-rendered computer graphics,” [or the CGI animated cutscenes that are typically of much higher quality.]
  2. The fine details of the characters, who express life-like humanity are showcased through their rich facial expressions, subtleties of their pupils and hair, and their brilliantly flowing garments.
    * [there are other systems that can be put inside of their models, much like a flowchart, that control hair, dilation, cloth simulation (when wind blows/limbs collide with the fabric) along with anything else you can think of on the body that would be affected by the environment.]
Hopefully this helps to explain a bit more of just why this is so ground breaking. What they’re working towards is something similar to how UbiSoft approaches their development with the Assassin’s Creed series; minimal load times to hi-def cut scenes. In their place instead are in-game scenes that load exponentially faster and take up far less space, allowing for more content overall. I don’t work with the engines so I can’t say I know exactly what they can do, but I figured I’d at least share what little bit of knowledge I do have on the matter.
I guess the game that's suppose to be linked to this engine is Versus. My excitement for Versus is way past its expiration date, but if this system was made specifically for that game- is that why it took so long to even get into full development?

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I was just happy to see some new fucking face types for once :sadpanda:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Didn't Square develop a whole new engine a few years ago they've only used for XIII so far? :monster:

Square: all words and show, little actual product.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
Problem is that they're so slow with their engine building that, by the time they're done with it, they can't use it extensively because they have to start building the next engine... which will be late anyway, and they'll only use with one game, if that much, and restart the process.

EDIT: I changed the word "tame" by "time". That was a fantastic typo there :monster:

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Fuckers need to do it right - the Unreal 3 engine lasted for the entirety of the PS3/360 era, but what did SE do? I looked it up - they started on the Crystal Tools engine (aka White Engine) in 2006, unveiled it in 2008, made it compatible for all major platforms (pc, 360, ps3, PC), and... herp, made three games with it (13, 13-2 and 14, and the latter was outsourced to China iirc). Officially, Versus is also built with this.

So, three - four years of developing the engine, a feeble three games of which only one is actually sort of crossplatform... and they're tossing it because they need something to do :monster:

Unless this is an addition to the engine specifically for cutscenes, in which disregard this, :monster:. I don't think they'd use a wholly different engine for just in-game cutscenes, startup / initialization time and such.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Here's some more footage showing how content can be changed in real-time:

[Source: siliconera]

If Square Enix could get their recent games to be as good as they look, then I'd be a lot more interested in them. The way it is now, I sort of think they should be making movies instead of games. They'd obviously be really good at it.

Last edited:

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
They really have pioneered the hell out of 3D modeling and film. I really wish somebody'd find some way to utilize it to its full potential.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
The way it is now, I sort of think they should be making movies instead of games. They'd obviously be really good at it.

awkward silence.

no really i see what you mean, they'd just have to hire a decent director who knows wtf they're doing with the medium first :monster:

Top Bottom