Concerns over Compilation of Final Fantasy VII's future

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Yes, I know what you're all going to say, and you all are probably going to say things like "Forget the Compilation because it sucks" or "Everyone knows that Nomura isn't going to remake Before Crisis or even make a new sequel set after Dirge of Cerberus" or something similiar long the lines.

BUT, no one really knows this until Square itself comfirms whether they scrapped future titles of the series(the Remake doesn't count because a remake of the original game) or they're holding it off for longer to fufill most people's wishes for a Remake they wanted since 1997, 2002, 2007/2008, before granting other people's wishes for a Before Crisis remake since 2004 or a new sequel since Dirge of Cerberus' secret ending which while it introduced Genesis in a prequel, it still leaves the question on what he'll actually do and in regards of Weiss' dead body.

I don't care if you guys think that they don't need to tell us that they not going to continue the Compilation or apologuise and say that it's not canon anymore(god I hope this is not the case, or I'll be extremely angry), but that's not true at all.

There are people who are still wondering whether the Compilation will continue or not. We're just three months away before 2017 starts, and that's the year when the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII was set to end. Despite Shelke from Dirge of Cerberus making an appearence in World of Final Fantasy, and Cloud's ACC attire is used for Dissidia Final Fantasy Arcade again, some parts of the Compilation was said to be used for the Remake(Or that's what they're thinking. I hope they do), it's still not enough on whether the Compilation will continue or not.

Until I hear it either in words or from Square's mouths, the Compilation's future or cancellation will continue to be unannounced, which is the honest truth. Hearing from other people who do not work for Square is not enough because NO ONE really knows this for certain.

Splintered

unsavory tart
I don't begrudge anyone who likes or dislikes the Compilation, if they want it then fans should be allowed to ask for it, and vice versa . I like some parts of it and despite others like DoC, but I loved the XIII trilogy and know how friggin annoying it is for people to interrupt a conversations with their moaning.

Anyway, I'm not sure if the compilation will continue in the form some people are thinking of, that is, I think we are pretty much done with main console FFVII spin off games or full fledged sequels. If we do see something, I won't be surprised if we see an OAV, tie in novellas, and a mobile game or two. That's not just for FFVII, I see that coming in general. That's just the way the world works.

I've been scouring anime season charts like the useless weeb I am, and there's a ton of multimedia projects. Mostly of small games like friggin dating sims or some crap, but overall it seems to be wave companies are riding. Animes and OVAs pop up occasionally, Novellas are a shoe in and are not only in FFVII but in XIII as well. Mobile games are just the thing nowadays. FFXV has a mobile game as well, it's an easier, cheaper project that takes less risk that making an extremely expensive, time intensive console game, and can easily be outsourced. Maybe you'll get a Drama CD if those are still a thing.

Timelinewise, it's pretty hard to see where it'll come in. FFVII:R is actually multiple games, and we'll have to see if it sells well to even come close to thinking of a main console spin off. We might see some Crisis Core remasters, but I'm not sure about a full Before Crisis remake. I'm pretty sure Before Crisis was Tabata's baby and he has his hands full with FFXV (and I'm near positive a FFXV sequel. With that much money Squeenix dropped, there's no way it'll be profitable without a sequel. Most triple A publishers bank on sequels to reuse assets and ride on fandom highs because of how expensive they are). Even afterwards, Tabata also expressed interest in continuing the Type-0 franchise, and even surprise hinted it with Type-Next.

I have no opinion of DoC. I really disliked the title and so I'm inherently biased against it, but I saw so little interest in that title and Genesis in general that I'm not sure it'll warrant a continuation. Maybe it said novella or mobile game. I wouldn't bank to much on Shelke though, iirc, the director of World of Final Fantasy is the same as DoC, which might explain her presence.

My worry is, as always, pulling resources for the compilation. Since FFVII is a multiple game title, by the time it ends, it's likely going to be time for another new entry in Final Fantasy (which kind of contradicts my whole "tabata will be busy" I'm just sort of rambling here). Not to mention I've heard they pulled talent from FFXIV to work on FFXV, and probably will do so for FFVII:R, and although I don't play XIV anymore, when I did I was impressed and have a lot of respect for Yoshi-P, and I hope they continue to support it.

So I guess my opinion is: Compilation will continue, but only in cheap, small projects that are less great experiences on their own and more feed into the hype of FFVII: mobile games, novellas, short animated vignettes.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I don't begrudge anyone who likes or dislikes the Compilation, if they want it then fans should be allowed to ask for it, and vice versa . I like some parts of it and despite others like DoC, but I loved the XIII trilogy and know how friggin annoying it is for people to interrupt a conversations with their moaning.

I didn't say anything about FFXIII trilogy or any other final fantasy titles for that matter. That's different.

Anyway, I'm not sure if the compilation will continue in the form some people are thinking of, that is, I think we are pretty much done with main console FFVII spin off games or full fledged sequels. If we do see something, I won't be surprised if we see an OAV, tie in novellas, and a mobile game or two. That's not just for FFVII, I see that coming in general. That's just the way the world works.

I've been scouring anime season charts like the useless weeb I am, and there's a ton of multimedia projects. Mostly of small games like friggin dating sims or some crap, but overall it seems to be wave companies are riding. Animes and OVAs pop up occasionally, Novellas are a shoe in and are not only in FFVII but in XIII as well. Mobile games are just the thing nowadays. FFXV has a mobile game as well, it's an easier, cheaper project that takes less risk that making an extremely expensive, time intensive console game, and can easily be outsourced. Maybe you'll get a Drama CD if those are still a thing.

Timelinewise, it's pretty hard to see where it'll come in. FFVII:R is actually multiple games, and we'll have to see if it sells well to even come close to thinking of a main console spin off. We might see some Crisis Core remasters, but I'm not sure about a full Before Crisis remake. I'm pretty sure Before Crisis was Tabata's baby and he has his hands full with FFXV (and I'm near positive a FFXV sequel. With that much money Squeenix dropped, there's no way it'll be profitable without a sequel. Most triple A publishers bank on sequels to reuse assets and ride on fandom highs because of how expensive they are). Even afterwards, Tabata also expressed interest in continuing the Type-0 franchise, and even surprise hinted it with Type-Next.

I have no opinion of DoC. I really disliked the title and so I'm inherently biased against it, but I saw so little interest in that title and Genesis in general that I'm not sure it'll warrant a continuation. Maybe it said novella or mobile game. I wouldn't bank to much on Shelke though, iirc, the director of World of Final Fantasy is the same as DoC, which might explain her presence.

My worry is, as always, pulling resources for the compilation. Since FFVII is a multiple game title, by the time it ends, it's likely going to be time for another new entry in Final Fantasy (which kind of contradicts my whole "tabata will be busy" I'm just sort of rambling here). Not to mention I've heard they pulled talent from FFXIV to work on FFXV, and probably will do so for FFVII:R, and although I don't play XIV anymore, when I did I was impressed and have a lot of respect for Yoshi-P, and I hope they continue to support it.

So I guess my opinion is: Compilation will continue, but only in cheap, small projects that are less great experiences on their own and more feed into the hype of FFVII: mobile games, novellas, short animated vignettes.

I said the FFVII remake doesn't count as the next title of the Compilation. I wasn't even talking about the other Final Fantasy titles either. I was just discussing about the Compilation in general. Okay, maybe I mentioned World of Final Fantasy and Dissidia, but Shelke's appearence and Cloud's ACC clothes still count since they are from the Compilation of FFVII.

Not to mention that I'm sick and tired of Square developing games for just mobile because mobile games are more fiddley and can easily break or shut down(or say you get hit by a car when you're too distracted) or you drop your phone and/or Tablet, IOS, ect., which breaks and that's the end of it. Novellas and short animated vignettes mean that they'll never get an english release date or even released outside Japan.

Why not make them for 3DS or PSVita at least?

Plus like I said, NO ONE, and I do mean, NO ONE, really knows for certain until Square says something, so guessing or saying things like "they don't need to say anything to announce that they're not going to continue it" or ect, doesn't count.

Not knowing or hearing any news of things like this always leaves me on edge no matter what I do, and as long as I'm in love with the Compilation of FFVII, it'll drive me insane.

Edit: Next time there's an update or another interview regards to FFVII Remake, will someone by request please ask about the future of the Compilation of FFVII's continuation and not just the possible added content from the titles?

Last edited:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
With the advent of FFVII:R the Compilation is essentially over. The original title that spawned the Compilation is being redone at such a level that all the background material that led to the Compilation will be different. In essence, SE's answer to "What about the Compilation?" was "We're starting over". There's no reason for them to work on old material (the Compilation) when it's going to be contradicted by the new (FFVII:R).

The big problem with the Compilation is that FFVII was never created with the Compilation in mind. In some ways, it's a precursor to how series are now multi-platform/media. Only now, series are designed to be that way from the ground up nowadays, while FFVII's spinoffs weren't. I'd be very surprised if FFVII:R wasn't being designed with spin-offs in mind. If the spin-offs turn out to be redone Compilation entries, even better. But I highly doubt the new canon will be anything like what we have now.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
SE's answer to "What about the Compilation?" was "We're starting over". There's no reason for them to work on old material (the Compilation) when it's going to be contradicted by the new (FFVII:R).

The big problem with the Compilation is that FFVII was never created with the Compilation in mind. In some ways, it's a precursor to how series are now multi-platform/media. Only now, series are designed to be that way from the ground up nowadays, while FFVII's spinoffs weren't. I'd be very surprised if FFVII:R wasn't being designed with spin-offs in mind. If the spin-offs turn out to be redone Compilation entries, even better. But I highly doubt the new canon will be anything like what we have now.

In other words, the Remake is just a reboot all together. Why can't Nomura admit that instead of driving people crazy?

Besides, the Compilation's not that old. Ten years is still young.

Not only that, until Nomura gives out more clearer information what they're doing and actually confirms the Compilation's demise, it's still not clear to me. I want an "yes" or "no" answers, not things that avoids the question.

Or at least them admitting it to the public. Is that really so much to ask for, just a simple explaination and not explainations that makes your head hurt?

Edit: Plus, back in 2009, they said that the Compilation was "over for now" not "it's over" full-stop" meaning that they still had ideas, and unless Square's nothing but a bunch of liars, I won't rest until I know it's officially confirmed.

And if they are planning about adding things from the Compilation into the remake while doing some new details, then there's still hope that the Compilation is still alive.

Last edited:

Splintered

unsavory tart
Which interview is that? I read one, a long time ago, that seems to hint that compilation will exist in some form

The Compilation of Final Fantasy VII added new wrinkles to the story and lore behind the game. How is the team approaching the integration of those new elements into the remake?
It’s not to say that all or some of the characters from the spin-offs or other Compilation works will appear in the remake, but if there are any areas where we can use the settings or the characters, we do want to try to incorporate it in there, so it gives off that sense of nuance and those other stories existing.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...ntasy-vii-remake-interview-game-informer.aspx

That seems to hint that while the compilation isn't a guideline, they haven't forgotten it. TBH, I feel like it's going to be a pick and chose thing, some ideas of the compilation were straight up bad and deserve to be ignored, while others did flesh out the story. And there were revisits that sometimes contradicted each other.

Then again I haven't kept up with news on the remake after the whole splitting the game up announcement.
I didn't say anything about FFXIII trilogy or any other final fantasy titles for that matter. That's different.
Nah that was just me musing about how some fans like other things that might not be welcomed with open arms by another section, and how that either way, fans will like what fans like. Don't mind me.
I wasn't even talking about the other Final Fantasy titles either.
Maybe I read your post wrong, I thought this was mostly about wondering if the compilation will be expanded on. I used other Final Fantasies as a comparison to see what Square Enix might do IF they decide to expand. Like... the Tales Of series tends to release similar structures for their games. They sometimes have an animed short/movie/ even series, they almost always have a manga. Things like that.

Final Fantasy's go to seem to be novellas. Although FFXII had a manga expansion, and DS games. Actually FF seems to be all over the place when it comes to their expanded universe, with FFVII tending to have the most variety. So it's hard to say for sure.
Not to mention that I'm sick and tired of Square developing games for just mobile because mobile games are more fiddley and can easily break or shut down(or say you get hit by a car when you're too distracted) or you drop your phone and/or Tablet, IOS, ect., which breaks and that's the end of it. Novellas and short animated vignettes mean that they'll never get an english release date or even released outside Japan.

I'd like that too, I vastly prefer a handheld over a mobile game, partly because my phone is shit, but looking at how they handle their smaller projects, it just seems more likely to do a mobile. Mobile market makes money now, and it's cheaper and takes less resources to make, and more people have phones than handhelds.
I want an "yes" or "no" answers, not things that avoids the question.
Nomura never gives a straight answer. It's infuriating.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Which interview is that? I read one, a long time ago, that seems to hint that compilation will exist in some form

The Compilation of Final Fantasy VII added new wrinkles to the story and lore behind the game. How is the team approaching the integration of those new elements into the remake?
It’s not to say that all or some of the characters from the spin-offs or other Compilation works will appear in the remake, but if there are any areas where we can use the settings or the characters, we do want to try to incorporate it in there, so it gives off that sense of nuance and those other stories existing.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...ntasy-vii-remake-interview-game-informer.aspx

That seems to hint that while the compilation isn't a guideline, they haven't forgotten it. TBH, I feel like it's going to be a pick and chose thing, some ideas of the compilation were straight up bad and deserve to be ignored, while others did flesh out the story. And there were revisits that sometimes contradicted each other.

Then again I haven't kept up with news on the remake after the whole splitting the game up announcement.

Which is the problem that since they still using the contents of the Compilation in other spin-off titles or related titles meaning that it's still up and running which is a main concern on what they're gonna do for next year which is a bit less than four months.

But if I was a developer of the remake, I'd worry more about the important parts to fit into the storyline.

For example-the Turks would comment on their 'lost' allies in privite, and think about the resemblence of Cloud compared to seeing him unconscious in Nibelhiem in a new scene during the game(content-Before Crisis) and how to handle the situation regards to AVALANCHE who seem different compared to the ones they had just defeated before the return of Sephiroth.

Nah that was just me musing about how some fans like other things that might not be welcomed with open arms by another section, and how that either way, fans will like what fans like. Don't mind me.

Maybe I read your post wrong, I thought this was mostly about wondering if the compilation will be expanded on. I used other Final Fantasies as a comparison to see what Square Enix might do IF they decide to expand. Like... the Tales Of series tends to release similar structures for their games. They sometimes have an animed short/movie/ even series, they almost always have a manga. Things like that.

Well, you're half-right. I didn't mean to expand the series with numberous titles all added up(unless Nomura decided to be a bum and make yet another secret ending that leaves us crazy. He did a pretty good job in leaving everyone insane over numberous titles and new storylines while delaying Kingdom Hearts 3), just at least one more story title that one, answers Genesis's return, two, erases all threats of the left overs of Jenova or maybe a new similiar threat, and three, everyone survives and abandons Midgar all together while continuing to live in Edge, and ect, and then have a narration on the peace onward to 500 years later where the original epilogue took place.

Final Fantasy's go to seem to be novellas. Although FFXII had a manga expansion, and DS games. Actually FF seems to be all over the place when it comes to their expanded universe, with FFVII tending to have the most variety. So it's hard to say for sure.

Pokemon is almost the same thing too. Except in their expansions, they keep on using Ash in their anime version(he'll never be a Pokemon Master at this rate, the poor kid), while even the sequels to Black and White feature new protagonists and no sight of the protagonists you played as to begin with.

Same thing with Pokemon Colosseum and it's sequel, XD which is set five years later.

I'd like that too, I vastly prefer a handheld over a mobile game, partly because my phone is shit, but looking at how they handle their smaller projects, it just seems more likely to do a mobile. Mobile market makes money now, and it's cheaper and takes less resources to make, and more people have phones than handhelds.

Which is stupid considering how mobiles are more flexible to break and much more of an easy target to steal because it has all of your contacts and such and hackers can get into mobiles easier than handhelds.

I mean, I use my mobile for contacts to family and friends only and not for games(I'm not even playing Pokemon GO since I keep witnessing news on how it keeps getting people hurt).

I want an "yes" or "no" answers, not things that avoids the question.
Nomura never gives a straight answer. It's infuriating.

Figures. He may be awesome in character designing and such, but he's a terrible writer and a terrible director, and in my opinion, a liar.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Whatever else he is he's not lying in this. Nomura himself doesn't know if the Compilation is dead or not. Or rather he'd know if it wasn't, but he can't know for certain that it is. It's really not up to him. If FFVII: Remake sells really well and is released on tight schedule, and FFXV and the like bomb there'll be more FFVII titles.

And the Remake won't be a reboot but it will be geared towards a wider audience then those who stuck with the franchise through the Compilation and thus won't force people to know about Genesis and the like.

Pixel

The Pixie King
One thing I'd like them to address better is how rufus survived. In otwtas he escape through a trapdoor under his desk. But in the Turks novel it says he had a doppleganger.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
With the advent of FFVII:R the Compilation is essentially over. The original title that spawned the Compilation is being redone at such a level that all the background material that led to the Compilation will be different. In essence, SE's answer to "What about the Compilation?" was "We're starting over". There's no reason for them to work on old material (the Compilation) when it's going to be contradicted by the new (FFVII:R).

This. End of thread.

There is going to be a new canon, with 'aspects' from the Compilation titles rewritten into an entirely new narrative and plot flow.

VII, and indeed the Compilation as you knew it, is over. If you keep expecting something more from the original 'timeline', then you're needless setting yourself up for disappointment.

I think it's too early to say if the Compilation will be rewritten entirely, thus nullifying past canon. I am yet to see any clear-cut statements by Square staff that "this and that is no longer canon", in the same vein as when the old Star Wars material that took place after Episode VI was decanonized to pave way for the new movies (Episodes VII-IX).

We'll just have to wait and see.

Why does it matter? We'll still have the original FFVII and its Compilation. Some people reject the Compilation and are strict OGers, and that's fine. Other people accept some parts of the Compilation and not others. Some people will like the new canon FFVIIR comes up with, and others will prefer the old stuff. We can all prefer whatever we like. It's not as if it's a religion.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
To say for the billionth time Tasha, the remake is not erasing or ignoring the Compilation. How many times does Nomura have to say that before you get it into your head?

Because at the same time, the Compilation ending in 2017 was mentioned only once, by Yoichi Wada, a CEO who has since been fired. But you take that as gospel.

As for the rest of you, I don't know where you're getting this the Compilation as it is is dead and the remake will establish a new canon... I mean, sort of, but only inasmuch as the most recent entry ALWAYS establishes the "canon" even if it contradicts with past things. So sure it may change things, but anything it remains silent on will remain canon.

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
I didn't mind the compilation/ enjoyed parts of it.

Having said that, I'm not sure I'd give a single solitary shit if they declared all of it non-canon.

Re: the remake, some people need to take a line from Fangu's hero and

tumblr_o2m40h0hEc1usn7xwo1_1280.jpg

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I mainly took Nomura's quote to be that the Compilation still counts, they just won't be a slave to it, which is exactly the right approach. Because, as someone who has enjoyed it immensely, there's no shortage of stupid that could still be turned to a positive with just a bit of tweaking.

Last edited:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Figures. He may be awesome in character designing and such, but he's a terrible writer and a terrible director, and in my opinion, a liar.

I know that this is your opinion, and you're entitled to it, and I am in no way a fan of Nomura's work, but "liar?" We haven't met the guy. Developers often run their mouths to reporters because they are excited about the potential their project has, only later to discover that there are tech/money/time limitations on their vision. Nomura doesn't seem to fall into that trap, he's pretty slippery when it comes to press. I don't know if branding him a liar based on that is very fair to him.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
....How many times does Nomura have to say that before you get it into your head?

As for the rest of you..

Force is totally having a dad moment here, laying down the law and smacking sense into everyone. :monster:

Aside from that, I think, realistically, the Comp/VII:Re will carry on to it's 25th anniversary now because merchandise, :Re being split into parts and money. Lots and lots of money.

I've never thought of the Comp as dead. Sure, they have their priorities elsewhere. But :re is going to give fans a chance to reconnect with their favourite world again and, whether something concrete has been said or not about it, I don't know, but I don't think it would be unreasonable for SE to either remaster or port both CC and BC together for PS4. Heck, they may even do all 3 with DoC. Because again, money.

In the long run, it would probably be nothing to port all those over into one title for a remaster, like they've done for all the KH games. Or maybe it would be, I dunno, I'm not a lawyer developer. But they've done it before (and not just them, there's the God of War remaster and the Uncharted collection). It's not outside the realm of believability that it could happen. And if it doesn't? No biggie but it'd be fun and good for the fans if they could.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
I think it would be a bad move on Square's part to throw out the majority of the compilation because of the remake.

I'd be ok with retconning things, but establishing new canon altogether? I just think that'd be a middle finger right in the ass of the fans who've invested so much in the compilation entries already.

But I agree with everyone else--it's too early to tell what exactly Square will do with the remake just yet. Would I be a little pissed if the other compilation entries were disregarded? Yeah, kinda. But I'm sure I'd love whatever Square made in their place, not to mention I can always play those other games whenever I want.

Plus I'm a firm believer in headcanon, so I'll just believe what I want most of the time anyway. :monster:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
I'm not sure where people are getting that the Compilation is going to be thrown out or that FFVII R will make a new canon either... I figured it'd strengthen the compilation... it'll probably contradict the original a bit, but not the entire Compilation... that'd just be silly.

As for Nomura being a liar... sometimes he kinda is. but it's not malicious... I do remember years ago him saying that Namine and Kairi had no relation to one another but this was just to surprise people when they found out they did. He just likes it when fans speculate and doesn't want to ruin the fun :)

Having said that, I'd hate having to get directions from that guy :monster:

Top Bottom