• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Fat Princess: Helping to create...

A

Great Old One
When there's groups of people complaining about how awful a game is without ever even playing it, I'd say they're making a big deal about it.
People think of the game as awful because it offends those 'certain groups of people,' and gives a negative image.

The one thing to keep in mind when defining what is offensive and what isn't, is that interpretation is everything, but interpretation is an infinitely diverse variable. If a group of obese feminists deem this game as undeniably offensive, why does their subjective interpretation become the precedent for judgment?
You don't think that creating a game that deals with people's self-images isn't something that would hurt people? I don't find it offensive myself personally, but someone who has had traumatic experiences being teased or made fun of because of their weight would most likely be hurt/given reminder/same concept as those who read magazines of skinny models.

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Still doesn't fucking prove anything Dacon. And you generalized and said people as a whole. NOT the members of the damn board. Doesn't prove jack shit, other than those that commented are the ones eagerly looking forward to it. Stop trying to make that as if that means something, cause it doesn't. All it proves is, is that the commentors don't give a shit. Period.

Never said anything about people as a whole. You're just running off with things now. And it means something, if people who are overweight themselves think it's funny, and say it's all in good fun. It means they're not trying to take everything so seriously. PERIOD.
No, Mr. Idiot, they can do something intentional AND ALSO do something unintentional at the same time. They're not mutual exclusive, numbnuts. You can try to intentionally help someone up but accidentally step on their foot or drop them again.
No shit, but in this situation they knew what they were doing. They didn't unconsciously do anything. They knew it was a choice that would make them stand out, and that some people might take it the wrong way.

Just because they're not mutually exclusive doesn't mean it applies to the situation at all.

The fact is, you're full of shit. :monster:
HUURRR DURRR.

Messages EXIST IN EVERYTHING. If you truly believe things can exist outside of cultural bias and human interpretation, you're naive. Stop saying it carries nothing when it does. What they thought, means nothing. I don't care what they thought because it doesn't change the message in the portrayal of whatever they meant. Believe what you want, but don't tell me it has no message because clearly people see that it does. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not.
Bullshit. Messages don't exist in everything. Some things deliberate lack a message because they don't want to be taken seriously.

People seeing something doesn't means shit, people perceive things wrongly every day.

And get off your high horse, you're not proving anything by acting like a superior jackass.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
We're really grabbing at straws here aren't we? How anyone could be genuinely offended by a concept so ridiculously unrealistic, and purposefully comical is astounding. It's overblown controversies like this that made being "politically correct" socially obligatory.

The one thing to keep in mind when defining what is offensive and what isn't, is that interpretation is everything, but interpretation is an infinitely diverse variable. If a group of obese feminists deem this game as undeniably offensive, why does their subjective interpretation become the precedent for judgment?

Which not only dissuades an offensive interpretation, but in fact promotes an overall message of social acceptance despite stereotypically negative superficiality.

This right here.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
You just said "people." Meaning, people in general. You generalized, get over it. Women themselves laugh at sexist jokes and support misogyny. What does that mean, if fat people like it? Again, irrelevant.

....You don't understand an unconscious choice? It doesn't matter if they knew what they were doing. CLEARLY they didn't because now a negative message has creeped into the game. You're making no sense. It doesn't matter HOW CONSCIOUS they were in making the game. If it was something they unwittingly did...it would escape them because they are NOT aware of it. No matter how aware of everything else they are.

No dude. Messages do exist. And you're not proving anything by acting like a superior jackass either :monster:

The fact you can say human bias can actually not exist in a human construct is bizarre.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
You don't think that creating a game that deals with people's self-images isn't something that would hurt people? I don't find it offensive myself personally, but someone who has had traumatic experiences being teased or made fun of because of their weight would most likely be hurt/given reminder/same concept as those who read magazines of skinny models.
Yeah. If some people liked it or disliked it for personal experiences, I think they have more right to be offended than myself.

A

Great Old One
Yeah. If some people liked it or disliked it for personal experiences, I think they have more right to be offended than myself.
It's like creating a game with the opposite objective; Anorexic Princess who must win by avoiding the junk food. BIG BONUS when you binge.

Seriously now, what? That's not going to make anyone feel good.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
....You don't understand an unconscious choice? It doesn't matter if they knew what they were doing. CLEARLY they didn't because now a negative message has creeped into the game. You're making no sense. It doesn't matter HOW CONSCIOUS they were in making the game. If it was something they unwittingly did...it would escape them because they are NOT aware of it. No matter how aware of everything else they are.

Clearly my ass. The only negative message in the game are the ones people create in their heads after looking at it.

You have no evidence they "unconsicously" did anything, when we know they deliberately chose to make the game they way it is. They're not unaware of the appearance and scenarios of their own goddamn game.

No dude. Messages do exist. And you're not proving anything by acting like a superior jackass either :monster:
Of course they exist, but not in everything. But I'm not going to argue bullshit philosophy here.
The fact you can say human bias can actually not exist in a human construct is bizarre.
Never said, that, you're just hoping around with random crap today aren't you?

And you people aren't making sense, this game still doesn't relate to ANYONE's life in any way. No one has ever been forcefeed food by their loving subjects because they think it will save their lives.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Okay Dacon, clearly because you choose not to see it, it doesn't exist. Oh fuck off with that crap. As several people have shown, it fucking exists and carries with it an offensive connotation.

I have evidence of it because its fucking there in the game. Unless you DO believe they did that intentionally. You can't have it both ways. Either they unintentionally included this genderfail message, or it was a mistaken reaction that they did not foresee and did not mean. Which is it? Did they WANT people to take away this message from this game, or not?

Messages exist in media, dude. All types. Storytelling in and of itself is about telling a story which has.. message or a theme. Yes, they do.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Okay Dacon, clearly because you choose not to see it, it doesn't exist. Oh fuck off with that crap.

Oh shut up with that childish crap. I can say the same damn thing to you.
I have evidence of it because its fucking there in the game. Unless you DO believe they did that intentionally. You can't have it both ways. Either they unintentionally included this genderfail message, or it was a mistaken reaction that they did not foresee and did not mean. Which is it? Did they WANT people to take away this message from this game, or not?

There's nothing in the game to support you statements at all, you perceive it that way, that doesn't fucking mean it's there. You don't have evidence of anything but your sordid opinion of the content in question. There's no such thing as a message that undeniably exists in anything because everyone sees things differently.

Messages exist in media, dude. All types. Storytelling in and of itself is about telling a story which has.. message or a theme. Yes, they do.

They exist, but the one you're talking about clearly doesn't exist in this game. It has no story, it's a fictional scenario where bizarre things happen that make no sense.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I know you can, so it's a ridiculous argument with no merit. You not seeing it doesn't make it any less real to the people who do. Likewise me seeing it doesn't change the fact that you and others don't. So stop insulting people who actually do see this shit and are critiquing it. I'm not calling you a retarded, sexist asshole for not seeing it, am I? :monster:

Either get outside yourself and see it from another perspective or quit saying people are trying to read shit that doesn't exist.

It's ain't about perception, ffs. It's about what's there. Do we see a woman not doing anything but stuffing her face? Yes. Do we see her not taking an active role in anything? Yes. Do we see her gorging herself to the point of obesity? Yes. That's the message. Do those negative societal messages exist? Yes.

Now just put those two together. The game strikes a chord with the societal message.

I'm glad we're past the whole 'messages don't exist' crap. :monster:

Unintentionally, it does exist in this game. The connotation, whether intentional or not, is there.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I know you can, so it's a ridiculous argument with no merit. You don't see it doesn't make it any less real. Likewise you not seeing it doesn't change the fact that you don't. So stop insulting people who actually do see this shit and are critiquing it. I'm not calling you a retarded, sexist asshole for not seeing it, am I? :monster:

I'm not insulting anyone but you and your inability to properly judge the game for what it is. Hell you seem to know very little about it. And just because people see something, doesn't mean it's there. It's silly for people to get upset about something when they obviously aren't well versed in the product and what it is, and that' not an insult.

Either get outside yourself and see it from another perspective or quit saying people are trying to read shit that doesn't exist.
No, fuck you. I say it's not there because it isn't. You people are cutting one thing out of the game and shitting all over it when that's not what the game is.

It's ain't about perception, ffs. It's about what's there. Do we see a woman not doing anything but stuffing her face? Yes. Do we see her not taking an active role in anything? Yes. Do we see her gorging herself to the point of obesity? Yes. That's the message. Do those negative societal messages exist? Yes.
She runs, she hides, and she gets drug all over the place. She's pretty active.
That's not the damn message, you're completely ignoring the rest of the game in favor of one thing that can negatively be viewed by society. You're taking what she does out of context and making it applicable to something negative.

Didn't you say context is everything? People are taking a goofy little game and blowing it way out of proportion and achieving nothing for it.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Oh so its just me? Well fuck you too :@

I'm not the only one who thinks this way, dude. So it's not just an insult to me. I'm not the only one thinking this, you know. :monster:

I'm not attacking the gameplay, I'm attacking the premise which I know. Barring some unforeseen addition or change to the game, I doubt my feelings will change. I'm tempted to want to play it myself and see, but its not the game. It's the premise. Its not silly to call out shit when you see it.

And then fuck you too for not being able to see the other side :monster: Like I said, I don't think they did it intentionally, and I don't think they're bad people. I can understand how they had the idea and thought it'd be innocent, but the fact is, is that its not. I've explained it, and others have to, that such ideas are all through culture and media, and it would be stupid to think that a woman who hears all of the medias shit of how you have to be thin, how you have to not eat, and how you have to have self control, because fat people HAVE NO self control...would be offended by this game.

It's be putting salt on the wound and carrying the same message.

And I'm talking about active outside of being the object of capture. She's not fighting or defending herself.

Yes, context is everything. But where's the context that shows its not supporting the negative societal view of women and overweight people? Where's the context that shows that fat people aren't people who just eat anything in front of them and eat til they can't move? It's whimsical and just a game, but its still fostering it.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
THERE'S NOTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT IT.

They're nothing saying fat people or bad, they're not saying that women have no self esteem.

The subjects love their princess, they want to protect her, so they tell her to eat, so the bad people can't take her away so easily. She has no problem with this because she likes food, but no so much that she was giant before hand.

They defend her no matter what, they carry her back whether she's small or giant, and they love her enough to die for her whether she's fat or not.

How is that so very bad?

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
The actual flimsy storyline isn't offensive. They've not conveyed an actual sexist, offensive storyline. It's the underlying action and theme here they are showing us.

A princess, who has to be protected because she can't do anything, and then she eats and eats til she's fat. Because then she'll be too heavy to walk or be carried and thus they can't kidnap her.

I'm not saying their storyline is the bad thing. It's the societal, woman objectifying/fat person eating til they're huge, theme that's present. It's there on the surface.

No, the actual storyline isn't bad.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
The actual flimsy storyline isn't offensive. They've not conveyed an actual sexist, offensive storyline. It's the underlying action and theme here they are showing us.

A princess, who has to be protected because she can't do anything, and then she eats and eats til she's fat. Because then she'll be too heavy to walk or be carried and thus they can't kidnap her.

I'm not saying their storyline is the bad thing. It's the societal, woman objectifying/fat person eating til they're huge, theme that's present. It's there on the surface.

No, the actual storyline isn't bad.

It's not a storyline, it's the entire game scenario.

Overweight people are hard to move, that's a fact. No one's saying fat people are awful or fat women are ugly and pathetic. It's about protecting her, and doing what you can to keep her safe. They protect her in a stupid way, but it's supposed to be cute and silly.

She's not a fat person when the game starts, and she doesn't stay that way either, she can be made easier to carry and move too.

The damsel in distress thing I can, but that's not what people are freaking out over. They're screaming because it involved eating and gaining weight, and that's silly. If there's a theme, it's that love makes people do stupid things. Not "if you eat a lot you'll turn into a giant person" that's just a fact of life.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Uh, I was mentioning the damsel in distress thing too :monster:

I said that was part of it. Along with the overweight thing.

Well, at least you see that. I'm glad you're aware of that much. Clearly we aren't gonna agree eye to eye on this whole issue regarding weight and shit, so I'll just take that much and just disagree with you on that. I'm out of ammo on what else to say to make you see what else I'm talking about. And I'm sure you're tired of repeating the same thing at me :monster:

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
Guess what? If people eat too much, they put on weight. It also makes them less mobile. :monster:

I think people need to be more thick-skinned (no pun intended), instead of getting on their soapbox over a childish video game.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Like I said, it's not the damsel thing everyone is freaking out about.

And I don't see them casting being overweight as a bad thing either. No one but the most extreme people eat until they're big enough not to move. Nor do they eat extraneous amounts to save themselves from invaders.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
You missed the fun Masamune, I'd argue you with over that post but Dacon burned me out :monster:

So all I can say is, NO U and call it a day.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Guess what? If people eat too much, they put on weight. It also makes them less mobile. :monster:

I think people need to be more thick-skinned (no pun intended), instead of getting on their soapbox over a childish video game.
Subjective. Some people who are overweight try their damndest to count calories and lose weight, and end up getting even more obese. Then there's the flip side where people constantly eat more than they should, but don't gain a pound. The games sort of silly for saying that if you have no self control, you will get fat, when this isn't always the case. :monster:

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
You missed the fun Masamune, I'd argue you with over that post but Dacon burned me out :monster:

Muahaha! Just as I had planned.

To be honest, Mako, I do see where you are coming from. You think the game is wrong for making light of obesity?

Now what if the game was about starving women so they're so thin you can fit as many into your castle? Would you feel the same way, Dacon?

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
The game doesn't say if you have no self control you'll get fat.

It says that if you eat a ridiculous amount you get fat in seconds. The woman is eating because she can, and it'll make it harder for her to be capture.

It's all nonsense tbh.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Now what if the game was about starving women so they're so thin you can fit as many into your castle? What would you feel the same way, Dacon?

You'll need a better comparison man, because that one really doesn't hold up.

That's more about selfishly hoarding things than protecting/capturing large princesses to win a war.

Either way, eating or starving will kill a person if done too much, so video games aren't really realistic like that.

Also, while people view overweight people as jovial, or even cute, everyone freaks out over anorexia. It repels just about everyone, and is generally MUCH more unhealthy for a person than being overweight.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Wow, for you to actually see where I'm coming from Masa, must mean something. That's awesome :monster:

Honestly, I'd be as offended too, because then that touches into the whole shit of eating disorders and crap and that'd be pretty shitty as well. And yeah, making light of obesity in that way just rubs me wrong, and other people too apparently.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Wow, for you to actually see where I'm coming from Masa, must mean something. That's awesome :monster:

Honestly, I'd be as offended too, because then that touches into the whole shit of eating disorders and crap and that'd be pretty shitty as well. And yeah, making light of obesity in that way just rubs me wrong, and other people too apparently.

I'd agree, but they're doing it in such a bizarre, overthetop and downright unrealistic fashion that it just isn't that big a deal.

The characters shrink and grow superfast depending on what you do, and the soldiers get splatter like cockroaches with limbs flying everywhere.

It's not representative of real life at all.

Top Bottom