The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > General > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss all things gaming in this subsection.

View Poll Results: What type of RPG do you prefer?
Modern 5 55.56%
Medieval 4 44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09/24/2012   #1
Phoenix Wright
Default Modern vs. medieval RPGs

Which do you like better.

While I dearly love both, I'd say modern. Most of my favorite RPGs are modern ones, such as FFVII, Earthbound, and the Pokemon games.
Phoenix Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
The Mad King (09/24/2012), The Pyro (09/26/2012)
Old 09/24/2012   #2
The Mad King

Tough to say. I think both have their strengths and weaknesses. Games like FFVII and Deus EX Human Revolution are amng my absolute favourites. On the other hand theres FFTactics, Tales of Phantasia, Dragon Age, The Elder Scrolls series.

I think I enjoy both equally. Although you should probably add an option for more futuristic sci-fi rpgs. Cool thread idea though.
Demona (09/28/2012)
Old 09/24/2012   #3
Alex Strife

I couldn't choose, to be honest.

Although this made me wonder what would a futuristic Legend of Zelda look like.
Old 09/25/2012   #4
Obsidian Fire

I prefer medieval. They tend to be more slash that thing, rather then shoot that thing. Given I have bad hand-eye coordination, I'm better at slashing stuff.

To be honest, I think this question is a bit misleading. I think it should whether we prefer turn-based rpgs vs. action rpgs. This is because there are a lot of rpgs (like FFVII) that mix elements of both the modern (modern technology and political system) and the medieval (naturally occurring monsters and magic). There also is a bigger difference between the two of them. Turn-based rpgs are centered more around manipulating stats, while action rpgs are based on how well you (the player) can aim for stuff and how fast you can do it.

An interesting article about what makes a rpg can be found here: Is Skyrim a Role-Playing Game? And it's not just about Skyrim either, and the rest of the guy's articles on gaming are well worth the read.
Old 09/25/2012   #5
Carlos

hmmm thats a tough choice. I will admit though I love RPG's that have both modern and medieval characteristics. But if I have to choose one it will have to be modern.
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/25/2012   #6
Ghost X

I don't have a preference. As long as the storyline is good, and the gameplay is to my liking, it's all good.
Old 09/25/2012   #7
AvecAloes

I'm not sure if I can make such a decision, either. It really depends on the storytelling. The first RPG I ever played was FFVII, which of course was set in a more modern environment, and I really got sucked into the story and gameplay. (Actually, it might have been the gameplay that I found to be the most rewarding during my first playthrough, as I pretty much had no clue as to what was going on the first time I played it.) But the second one I played was FFIX, which went back into the medieval setting, and I adored it as well. (that one's story I did manage to follow a little more easily. Perhaps because it was my second RPG? I don't know.) But anyway, I don't know that I could choose one setting over the other. It all depends on story, like Ghost said.
AvecAloes is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Ghost X (09/25/2012)
Old 09/25/2012   #8
Interslicery

Whenever I see a medieval rpg I just think "oh, another one", while I dont for modern ones, so I guess I prefer modern.

Interslicery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/25/2012   #9
Ramza Beoulve

I agree that as long as the story's good, I don't care. I can think of favorites in both categories. FF7 and Xenosaga (futuristic more than modern, but whatever) are two of my favorite games, as are FFTactics and FF9, so it's not the setting, it's what you do with it.

The only thing that starts to get silly in medieval ones, imo, is that the ancient civilization was ALWAYS more futuristic than the current one. Why? FFX at least had a good explanation (more detailed than just 'a cataclysm'), but even FF7 couldn't get away without it creeping into the Compilation.

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
Ramza Beoulve is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Dawnbreaker (09/26/2012)
Old 09/25/2012   #10
Alex Strife

To be honest, I would love to see some game where the ancient civilisation had some knowledge about something while still being less futuristic
Old 09/25/2012   #11
Obsidian Fire

ForceStealer wrote: The only thing that starts to get silly in medieval ones, imo, is that the ancient civilization was ALWAYS more futuristic than the current one. Why? FFX at least had a good explanation (more detailed than just 'a cataclysm'), but even FF7 couldn't get away without it creeping into the Compilation.
This. The problem starts when ancient technology can do the same as modern technology, but without modern materials. That said, high levels of magic and technology can be really similar, so it depends what makes it more advanced. IE: in a modern rpg you use a flamethrower, in a medieval rpg you use a fire spell; same result, different method. For me it matters more how a civilization is more advance, rather then that they're advanced.
Old 09/25/2012   #12
Phoenix Wright

It was a tough choice for me too. There's so many good games in both genres. And I'm actually about to make a turn-based vs. action RPGs poll. And I consider futuristic RPGs in the same category as modern RPGs.
Old 09/26/2012   #13
The Pyro

What Ghost said.

Yeah, I got more to brag about than ever...
The Pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Ghost X (09/26/2012)
Old 09/26/2012   #14
Hisako

I have to admit, I do seem to favour the modern-setting RPG simply because settings involved tend to be more interesting than the classical fantasy setting and futuristic technology interests me more than some fantastical wahoo mumbo-jumbo.

But like GhostX said, if the gameplay/story/setting grabs my attention enough, I'll end up playing it regardless, which is why I can still put up with the likes of Dragon Age and the Elder Scrolls. But all that said, I absolutely adore the Fallout universe.

RIP in peace old sig lolol 04/2015

Don't believe your eyes? Don't be surprised.

Hisako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2012   #15
Phoenix Wright

satsugaikaze wrote: I have to admit, I do seem to favour the modern-setting RPG simply because settings involved tend to be more interesting than the classical fantasy setting and futuristic technology interests me more than some fantastical wahoo mumbo-jumbo.

But like GhostX said, if the gameplay/story/setting grabs my attention enough, I'll end up playing it regardless, which is why I can still put up with the likes of Dragon Age and the Elder Scrolls. But all that said, I absolutely adore the Fallout universe.
Which is exactly why I myself had a tough time choosing between Modern and Medieval, because I judge games by gameplay/story, not time period, but I tend to take an interest in futuristic technology as well. It's one of the reasons I'm such a huge Star Wars nerd.