• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Time to remove smilies from smilie list?

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I like all the facepalms, especially the gradual one which seems more drawn out and deliberate somehow. And the dancing cactuar is supposed to encompass... dancing. I guess. Maybe flippancy? idk.

Fangu

Great Old One
I like all the facepalms, especially the gradual one which seems more drawn out and deliberate somehow.
Yeah but are people gonna use it? Most often they just do this:

:facepalm:

Which I think portrays the facepalm feeling much better than all of the other "copies".

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Well, :doublefacepalm: makes it clear that it's more facepalmy than a single facepalm would express, as does :facepalm2: because it uses two hands. I definitely use both of those on a pretty routine basis. :facepalm5: also seems more deliberate and I use it occasionally, although if we're removing some of the other facepalms we'll probably want to rename it.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Does anyone even use this anymore?
:deal:

Also IMO these ones can go. The regular Patrick Stewart one is very similar and better than all of them. We could rather chuck in that "what the hell is this bullshit" one people hotlink once in a while.

:facepalm5:
:quadfacepalm:
:facepalm3:
:facepalm4:

What emotion is this meant to portray? :P
:cactuardance:

IMHO these can all go. One Captain Picard facepalm is enough, buuuuut we can keep the one with Riker in it as well, I guess, for Aaron. :)

lol It's like on those hoarders shows and the people fight and fight and fight against throwing anything away. :P

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Bitch plz, you guys just can't handle QUADRUPLE FACEPALM, :awesome:.

Also do not touch the giant cookie monsters. DO NOT TOUCH.

:hugemonster:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Here are the largest (file size) remaining smilies, sorted by their most recent use outside of this thread:

:kittyhug:
1.9 MB, used three times in the last month

:crymoar:
1.4 MB, last used in June 2013

:mal:
2.5 MB, last used in February 2013

:rangerhate:
1.4 MB, last used in September 2012

:bitchslapjoff3:
1.7 MB, last used in July 2011

:tyrion:
3.1 MB, difficult to say when it was last used, but I don't think I've ever seen it

I think we can safely get rid of the last two, and perhaps the ranger as well. The others should probably be kept.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
The top three macro's were the only ones I wouldn't want you to remove, because they express something we use in forum a lot regardless of where they come from.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I'm fine with getting rid of haters and Tyrion blowing his load tbh, and the cat; the other ones are used / valid, and Joffslap is just valid.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Might as well upload all the images and gifs to an external image hosting site and maybe just put a link in a sticky thread or something. :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
^Agreed. Crymoar gets used too. I like the green ranger one but I can't say I've used it.

And whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa, since when are we getting rid of facepalms?! I'd be okay with getting rid of the quadruple facepalm, but the rest are all excellent and I make a point of varying my facepalm usage. So you leave them the hell alone!:@

Tetsujin said:
Might as well upload all the images and gifs to an external image hosting site and maybe just put a link in a sticky thread or something.

That would be annoying. Why don't we just make two smiley buttons? One for smileys and monsters, and one for macros? I was on another forum that had something like that. Then Aaron could keep his GoT macros and Tenny and Shademp don't have conniptions :monster:

*puts on decisive attitude*

Taking one step at a time. Please get rid of the quadruple facepalm.

I never use this one because I think it's ugly and there are so many other images to choose from. Srsly, I can't be the only one who has avoided the quadfacepalm because it is not pleasant for the eyes.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Someone find me the hack that had the two different smilie windows and I'll add it :monster:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
*puts on decisive attitude*

Taking one step at a time. Please get rid of the quadruple facepalm.

I never use this one because I think it's ugly and there are so many other images to choose from. Srsly, I can't be the only one who has avoided the quadfacepalm because it is not pleasant for the eyes.

You are not alone in this. That one should go, as should:

:stachepalm: (unpleasant to the eyes)
:mog: (what the fuck is this one even supposed to be?)
:facepalm5: (ugly)
:fmod: (funny, I guess, but why?)
:monstercraft: (when has anyone ever used this?)

Rest of the "Star Trek" facepalms could stay despite their redundancy, I think. Provides variety, and it's sort of an ongoing joke in itself to use facepalm macros from that franchise.

On that note, I didn't even know we had a :whatever: smilie. *adds this one to the list*

:colbertwhat:

That one stays, dammit.

I mean, if it needs to go, it can. I'm not overly attached to it, but it hardly takes up much space to begin with.

Here are the largest (file size) remaining smilies, sorted by their most recent use outside of this thread:

1.9 MB, used three times in the last month

:crymoar:
1.4 MB, last used in June 2013

:mal:
2.5 MB, last used in February 2013

These three should definitely stay. They're used frequently and in a number of contexts.

Flint said:
:rangerhate:
1.4 MB, last used in September 2012

1.7 MB, last used in July 2012

I feel like these two should stay as well, particularly the Green Ranger one. But if nobody else cares, I guess they can go.

Flint said:
:tyrion:
3.1 MB, difficult to say when it was last used, but I don't think I've ever seen it

Jettison this one, for sure.

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
Tres, I love ya, but dude you are advocating the removal of Cookie Monster. We just may have to throw down and duel over this my friend :reapermon:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
That moogle one is....well it's Mog. Dunno how he feels about it, we should ask him if he wants rid or not.

AvecAloes

Donator
I've seen the terrifying Cookie Monster monster used several times that I can think of, I'm pretty sure one of them was within the last month or so. Also, it's Cookie Monster. It should stay :monster:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Tres, the Joffslap was last used in 2011, which is what I wrote, yet you quoted me as saying it was used in 2012. How did that happen? :monster: Regardless of anyone's feelings about that particular GIF, it just isn't getting used enough to justify the extra load time on the smileys page, I think.

I wonder, even if we don't manage to get two smiley windows - one for actual smileys and one for macros and animations - would it be possible to keep the codes for some smileys while still removing them from the visible list? That way we could keep, say, the monster matrix, and those in the know would be able to post it in the usual manner, without the need for bookmarking the image and using IMG tags, while the rest of us wouldn't have to put up with a unwieldy smiley page. We could have a thread somewhere with a list of the hidden smiley codes.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
I don't think there's a way to do that without hacking the board. If someone knows a way to write code that can just post thumbnails of images in the smilies view and then post the images themselves in actual poasts, that would probably be the best solution :monster:

Anyway, I'm going to make a concerted effort to use Joffslap more now :monster: Plus it's in my signature so it's not even like it increases page loading times for anyone who has my signature cached :monster:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
If the Lovecraftian Cookie Monster HAS to stay then shrink it.

If the Fuck Moderation Cookie Monster has to stay, shrink that as well.

Shrink shrink shrink.

Fangu

Great Old One
Re: size, 2-3 MB is not a lot IMO. It might be a lot if you're on a shitty GSM data access, but people are usually on WiFi, or they are on 3G. I know this is a pet peeve of yours Flint, but if we're to take most of our users into consideration, getting rid of animated GIFs because they are 2-3 MB is a bit silly.

Also re: "hack", I'll venture into the vB code that's on the test server later and see if I can find the correct reading place for those images, and if there's an easy way to override any loadallimageslikethisorI'lleatyourmother.php reference without fucking anything else up.

Top Bottom