Wordpress: Unable to upload video files

So I'm trying to upload video files for the "Video Archive" of my Dirge of Cerberus Multiplayer feature, but I get error messages and the upload fails.

With the normal uploader, I get the message "HTTP error". With the browser uploader I get the message "413 Request Entity Too Large", even though I have not exceeded the given limit of 100MB.

Anybody know what's going on?

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
It's not just you; I tried it and couldn't upload videos either. A quick search would suggest it's either a Wordpress or server configuration error. Beyond my station, I'm afraid. In the meantime, a likely workaround is to upload via FTP.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Let me see if I can find anything. Probably server configuration issue.

edit: yups, upload size was limited to 20MB in nginx (upped to 1GB). Should work now.

Thanks Yop, video upload now works.

While I'm at it, is there a way so that when the reader clicks on the link to the video it gets instantly downloaded as a file, without needing to do the "right click -> save link as" procedure? Currently left-clicking on the video link leads you to a WordPress video player and I don't want that.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Not sure, maybe just paste the link to the file instead of do the 'insert video' wordpress thing.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Do you have an example of an article with an embedded (locally hosted, non-Youtube) video, Shad? I don't know if I've seen the Wordpress video player you speak of before, and I'm wondering it it's actually just your browser's built-in video player. If it is, then the fix would be another server configuration change - it would be the .htaccess file on Apache, but I don't know about Nginx.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Actually~ if I recall correctly, how a video is handled is based on the mime type returned by the server (so yes that), however whether it's displayed in the browser or downloaded depends on user or browser preferences. I think it'll download by default for videos, unless you have a video player plugin.

@Flint

I noticed now that I only get the problem of a video player popping up when the video type is MP4. See the two download links I've pasted at the top of the Video Archive feature. The FLV is instantly downloaded with a left-click, but the MP4 is not.

In the past MPG has also worked, as seen in the videos provided in my Toshiba DVD article. Left-click and the files are instantly downloaded.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
The MP4 started playing in my browser as well, and it looks like Chrome's native player, because I'm sure I don't have any video player plugins installed.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
That's probably just what your browser does; mp4 as embedded player, mpg as download. flv is a stupid format, :monster:

I think you're just shit outta luck, beacause how a browser handles files is out of your control.

Top Bottom