Final Fantasy XV (was Versus XIII)

RedFFWolf

Donator
^Many thanks! After our continued conversation elsewhere, I'll go ahead with it anyway the next few days before it's gone, seeing that there's items to be had!

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
From a recent interview from gameinformer magazine:
C4mJbf1UoAEdGoV.jpg

It is exactly as X surmised :monster:

Endlessly pleased right now.

Even if this was the results of the constraints of their development, I think that – as someone who knew absolutely fuck-all about XV, and then just watched Brotherhood, Kingsglaive, & Omen two days prior & then played the game that their ambitions worked out really well in that respect.

There are definitely things that'd've come across more clearly with some omniscient backfilling, and the auxiliary materials really helped get me a sense of the world and why they weren't telling the parts of the story that they didn't through Noctis' limited perspective. Additionally, having not really followed any of it from its development from XIII-Vs, really helped me to not have ANY expectations aside from the presented materials at the time, which I think is really also part of why I enjoy this game as thoroughly as I do.

X :neo:

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Hopefully their DLCs will feature some more clothing changes. We already know Prompto is in a different outfit, but whether or not that's something that's just limited to cutscenes, we have no clue.

Which sucks, because I really like Prompto in that beanie and bomber jacket. :awesome:

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
"With this sort of narrative design philosophy in hand, Tabata said it was only natural to increase the proportion in which the main characters are depicted. “It’s not that we decreased the role of the side characters,” he explained. “Focusing on many characters in the game means that the allocation given to the main characters will decrease. Instead of creating a comprehensive and perfectly balanced story, we placed greater importance on the four main characters and strove to depict a world seen from their perspective.”

I don't recall that happening in previous titles.

Glad I didn't waste money on this game.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
"With this sort of narrative design philosophy in hand, Tabata said it was only natural to increase the proportion in which the main characters are depicted. “It’s not that we decreased the role of the side characters,” he explained. “Focusing on many characters in the game means that the allocation given to the main characters will decrease. Instead of creating a comprehensive and perfectly balanced story, we placed greater importance on the four main characters and strove to depict a world seen from their perspective.”

Never too late to try something new.

The beauty of this series is that it's always changing. If it stayed the same then everyone would just be bitching about that instead.

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero

Never too late to try something new.

The beauty of this series is that it's always changing. If it stayed the same then everyone would just be bitching about that instead.

Played and completed for a friend at his place. Didn't like it.

I like the change except when it comes at the price of a series' selling point.

Lex

Administrator
I've remained fairly ambivalent/ not really posted much about XV, but I don't think it's fair to say XV is a waste of money. I think it was worth it for the experience I got, but [to me personally] hasn't had the same impact as other FF's. It should be noted I have a tendency to replay FF's a bit later to truly form an opinion though, crazy though it may sound. I've pumped a hundred or so hours into XV and I'm still not ready to declare my true opinion on it yet. It took me a couple of playthroughs to realise that I truly liked XIII for example. Same with XII.

The only thing I can honestly say about XV is that I don't regret purchasing it and had a fairly fun and unique time progressing through it.

I like the change except when it comes at the price of a series' selling point.

I both agree and disagree with this to an extent. We now have confirmation (although none but the very biggest SE white-knighters of us needed it) that development impacted the story - the "change" didn't have anything to do with it IMO. The change in this game was the action combat and open world, the butchered story is more to do with them trying to retain some aspect of Versus and seemingly not having a clear direction.

Idk, I'm not 100% buying the "this was intended" argument - i.e. what X said (the through Noctis's eyes stuff) because of all the scenes at the beginning and end of the earlier chapters that take place... y'know... not through Noctis's eyes. They do a fairly good job of potentially building background elsewhere and it feels like those scenes were supposed to continue, but they don't really amount to anything.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Personally I think it's about on par with FFV. Worse than 6, 7, 9, and 10. Even with V. Better than the rest :monster:

But it is hard to place for how different it is.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Time for my latest roundup. :monster:

Let's start with a video of Ardyn's voice actor, Darin De Paul, speaking at a con. This is freakin' hilarious. Maybe slightly spoilery if you don't know Ardyn's backstory, so use your own judgment there.
----

Original Twitter post here.

C40WRAlUcAABXyO.jpg

Review of the Memory Lane Pastry from the Square Enix Café
----

Turns out flying the Regalia into Imperial dropships isn't the best way of dealing with them

Dropship's going to need Cidney or AAA

It's like Prompto knows a glitch just occurred

Hilarious (and fortuitous) MA-X Angelus-0 glitch leads to a maxed-out hit counter

"Now then, let's start from the top." Sure, Iggy. You're driving
----

—In this video showing the "Leviathan Glitch," you can actually see Luna wounded and dying, still in the vicinity (you get the best look at 4:05)

Minimap saying "error" in English and Japanese (at 4:10)

—And here's that fanart feels:
93JEbFQ.jpg

Last edited:

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
That Pitioss Theory is just..... that is amazing. Wow. :closedmonster:

I haven't even gone into that dungeon yet, which now I'm kind of glad for, as when I do I'll have this story in mind and see what I think about it.

The amount of theorizing and research that went into that theory is amazing. Whether true or not, it's a very awesome theory.
TChYBA0.png
that most makes me think it's at least partly true. That and the whole 'Lucis crystal is part of Etro/Eos's heart' thing, with the lava cave.

I really enjoyed reading all that, I love good theories and I've always thought the Rock of Ravatogh was such a cool volcanic mountain and kept wondering what those crystallized tendrils were and why they were there. Totally cool. :D

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Because I'm cleaning house I just skimmed over the Pitioss Theory (which I heard about a few days ago, but hadn't bothered to find until X conventiently linked it) but damn, it seems pretty frickin plausible. I have yet to visit Pitioss yet, but I think I need to go back on my first save and play through it before Episode Gladio comes out.

Thanks X for linking that, that was an awesome read.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I, too, have been reading about the Pitioss theory for several days and jotting down my thoughts until I could compile a thorough and appropriate response. I've almost finished doing so, but to give you a preview in summary: Parts of that theory are brilliant and almost certainly true; other parts considerably less so.

I also find the writing style in which it was posted annoying, if I'm being honest. =P

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Out here too. Ps4 pro patch finally!

Also since when did I have NieR music? :huh:

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Last edited:

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith

*cracks knuckles, clears throat

Well... god damn. I guess I'll be doing a narration of that tomorrow.

Edit:

tl;dr - Pitioss is a literal story that is both horrifying and tragic and the gods of FFXV are dicks (it is known).

Edit 2: Anybody else after reading this develop a retroactive phobia about this place?

I just started playing through Pitioss last night while Skype chatting, and hoooo boi.

First of all, the airship controls are fucking atrocious. And the fact that the landing strip to access Pitioss is small as fuck and is not shown on your mini map makes it hard to successfully navigate. I've crashed the Regalia twice, both while trying to land at Ravatogh. Tbh, the amount of circling I had to do in order to get a good descent so I could land properly was making me sick to the point where I had to put the controller down for a bit just to make my eyes stop hurting. I managed to land though on my first try when I picked it back up again.

And Pitioss itself...

The dungeon is absolutely beautiful. I've been taking photos of that statues and the architecture and the little blue dragonfly-esque creatures. Very solemn, creepy place.

That being said, fuck this fucking dungeon to whatever circle hell it spawned from.

I had to stop playing it last night just because it was getting too damn late and I didn't want to get in over my head. Not to mention I'm sure everyone listening in was getting tired of my rage screeching when I fell.

For the most part I can navigate it pretty well... but some parts are just a little more difficult to get around then others. I'll admit, I was watching a walkthrough while playing it last night because fuck this place.

Top Bottom