The Lifestream Podcast Final Fantasy Retrospective Series - Final Fantasy VII Part 2

vaderSW1

Dark Knight of the Red Wings
d73b.png

Final Fantasy VII - Part 2

Welcome to The Lifestream Podcast Final Fantasy Retrospective Series! Join JasonTandro, Ryushikaze, Tenno, and vaderSW1 as they offer the second part of a full review and fond look back on the seventh game in the series: Final Fantasy VII

This episode’s Question for the Listenership:

At what point in the game do you choose to recruit Vincent and Yuffie into your party?  Why?

If you do recruit Yuffie, at what point do you choose to do the Wutai sidequest and why?

Email us at [email protected] or reply to the episode post on TheLifeStream.Net forums and let us know!

We want to hear from you! Send your questions, feedback, and episode topic suggestions to us at [email protected]. You can also reply to the episode posts for each episode on TheLifeStream.Net forums. Not registered yet? Just visit http://www.thelifestream.net/forums and become a member! Also, please leave us feedback on iTunes! We will do our best to read your questions, comments, and feedback on air!

Total Run Time: 1:46:47

Subscribe to us on iTunes so you never miss an episode!

Music appearing on this podcast is courtesy and © Copyright of Square Enix. (http://na.square-enix.com/us/documents/materialusagepolicy)

WARNING! Explicit content.

Special thanks to Flintlock for the episode artwork!

Special thanks also to Ryushikaze for the terrific voiceover intro!

Special thanks to Tennyo for editing the show!

A VERY special thanks as well to Square Enix and all the hard working people that have worked on this terrific video game series over the years!

The Lifestream Final Fantasy Podcast Extras:

The Lifestream Podcast Final Fantasy Retrospective Series thread:

http://thelifestream.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17497

JasonTandro's Final Fantasy Retrospective Playthrough LiveJournal:

http://jasontandroplay.livejournal.com

You can listen to the podcast at the link below:

The Lifestream Podcast Final Fantasy Retrospective Series - Final Fantasy VII Part 2

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I love you guys and all the hard work you put in!!

(Answer to the question: On my second playthrough (and beyond) I always try to do everything in FF as soon as the game will let me. That means Yuffie right after the Mythril Mines, Vincent right after Cosmo Canyon, and the Wutai adventure as soon as I get the Bronco. With secret characters in particular it further cements them as established party members who have stake in the plot. My first time playing FF7 I didn't know about Vincent until the end of Disc 2 and so he felt kind of like an Umaru. The earlier they arrive -- and the earlier Yuffie betrays Cloud -- the less they feel like DLC and the more they feel integral to the story.)

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
A to the Q: ASAP, although funny story. I think I mentioned this during but on my original playthrough I wasn't able to successfully recruit Yuffie until around Gongaga. What I didn't tell you was that I completely missed Vincent and didn't ever recruit him during the my first playthrough. I went back after finishing the game going "what the hell where was he" and then courtesy of a walkthrough found him. (It was funny cause I read in the game manual (remember those?) about how he joined the party and was a former Shinra worker and kind of thought he might be joining us after the Raid but when he didn't I was like "well I lost him".

A similar situation happened with the Wutai sidequest during my first playthrough. Even though the Little Bronco lands you near Wutai I didn't land and go take the quest. Later on I went to visit it while searching for Cloud, after getting the airship. It's hilarious because the cutscene will trigger the second you take one footstep towards town even though I landed right beside it (the one where Yuffie steals your materia and you get attacked). This was all done with Tifa as the party leader.

Side note: When Reno mentions at the end that he had orders to "search for Cloud" before saying "screw it, it's my day off"- I took that to mean that Shinra too was wondering what became of the missing protagonist and thought this was the intended timing of the quest... until a second playthrough when I didn't screw up.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Just started listening to part 2.

Don't worry Vader, I hate the Great Glacier too. :monster:

And lol Tenny 'The snowboarding mini-game can go die in a fire.' :lol:

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Correction to myself:

Ruby weapon is a Hygogg, not a Gelgoog.

Emerald weapon is still the Neue Ziel

Diamond is basically Double Zeta and the Quebely combined.

Sapphire and Ultimate are their own thing, more or less.

Avalanche87

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Bakito/Marak/DJMarak
Loved this one guys, like always.

There were some very "WHAAATTT!!???" moments, VERY TLS after dark ha ha ha!

Lots of laughs!

Did anybody notice there was no rating?!

Cheers all!

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Loved this one guys, like always.

There were some very "WHAAATTT!!???" moments, VERY TLS after dark ha ha ha!

Lots of laughs!

Did anybody notice there was no rating?!

Cheers all!

Fear not a Part 3 is coming where we discuss art, gameplay, music and give the final ratings.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
The thing with Sephiroth getting tossed into the reactor was pretty darn stupid. I agree with JT, apart from it being stupid that Sephiroth just doesn't let go of the the sword, the physics involved with his entire body being lifted up are complete nonsense as well - unless his sword arm was completely rigid. =P

Avalanche87

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Bakito/Marak/DJMarak
ahhhh nice one JT, that takes care of that!

Once again, due to listening in the car, I can't take note of points to discuss on the forum afterwards.

I'll be looking forward to P3 then :D niiiice!

Avalanche87

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Bakito/Marak/DJMarak
Please do elaborate Tets, its been in the back of my mind for a while :D

Why the slow down in podcasts?

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
There have been a culmination of things, mostly related to adulting and life and stuff like that. Our host has been AWOL because of some family matters, our editor is quite busy and the rest of us (who you might begrudgingly call the "talent" :monster:) have a hard time meeting up and coordinating. We tried to meet up last week to do an FFXV podcast but our software crashed. It's been a comedy of errors.

Avalanche87

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Bakito/Marak/DJMarak
There have been a culmination of things, mostly related to adulting and life and stuff like that. Our host has been AWOL because of some family matters, our editor is quite busy and the rest of us (who you might begrudgingly call the "talent" :monster:) have a hard time meeting up and coordinating. We tried to meet up last week to do an FFXV podcast but our software crashed. It's been a comedy of errors.

Oh no!!!

I totally understand about being busy. I basically have 2-3 hours each night Monday - Thursday free. Work sucks soooo much of my mako energy :(

vaderSW1

Dark Knight of the Red Wings

Oh no!!!

I totally understand about being busy. I basically have 2-3 hours each night Monday - Thursday free. Work sucks soooo much of my mako energy :(

I'm trying to get geared up for a big return to the shown very soon. We are finishing our playthrough of Final Fantasy VIII soon. So, we'll be recording the retrospective for that soon too. Just got to get that third part of the FFVII retro out. I'll touch base with our editor and see what's up on that.

Top Bottom