• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

2017 Site Content

Pixel

The Pixie King
So, we have the new site design, ready for a big year for the site. Now we need content. :P

Does anyone have ideas for content, eg. editorials, etc.

I think it would be interesting to come up with topics, create threads for discussion, then build editorials around opinions expressed.

I've been working on a video titled FFVII Remake vs SJWs, based on discussions we've had in various threads. This is a work in progress, need to find better clips.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw4Tk7aQlnO5bzk5end1TTNMVEE/view?usp=sharing

Other editorials I've been thinking about:

Fantasy Based On Feedback - Should SE ignore what they think fans want, and just make the game they want to make. Seeing how much story was cut from FFXV, its pretty clear that they struggle with this.

SE's Media Mix Approach To Storytelling - Is it a good idea to release parts of the story outside of the actual game, eg. novellas, anime, movies.

Managing Expectations

All ideas are welcome. Also, should we seek out new writers for the site?

As for Youtube content, we'll have the new audiobook posted per chapter, probably 1 per day once it's finished. Casting is still ongoing, so it'll be a while. Id still like to try to finish the lets play at some point. We'l see.

Also, still working on Tifa's Draw My Life. The drawings are just taking me ages. This is the audio for it, btw. Still needs some music and SFX added
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw4Tk7aQlnO5anVXOTdISmw1S3c/view?usp=sharing

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Yes, we could definitely do with some new writers.

I enjoyed (the start of) your video, but I'm a bit surprised at the title you've chosen. For a very thoughtful, balanced analysis, "SJWs" is an unnecessarily provocative term. Replacing it with "political correctness" would get the point across better, I think.

Thank you for making this thread.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Yeah, I've been going back and forth with the title. I don't really like the term SJW either.

Lex

Administrator
Honestly, I think "political correctness" is almost as provocative as SJW's. Something like "FFVII Remake vs. Social Attitudes in the West" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue though XD.

I agree that we need writers. I'm not sure what the best way to recruit is though, it's definitely a thing to ponder.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
I don't have a problem with the term SJW in-and-of itself but it's been taken by the alt-right to refer to pretty much anybody who gives a damn. Political Correctness is about as nice as you're going to get when you are talking about extreme left viewpoints (far better than "regressive left" in terms of provocativeness).

SJWs will definitely get more hits on Youtube though. :monster:

Perhaps you could twist it to be less about the social sensibilities of the far left and make it more about censorship. Something like "FFVII Remake Vs. Artistic Censorship" or something of the like. Edit: Not in terms of content but in terms of the title because frankly the repression of uncomfortable ideas no matter how backwards they might seem is a form of censorship - case in point that woman who got To Kill A Mockingbird banned for "racist language". (For transparency sake I have not watched that video as of yet, I am currently at work). Edit: Also I am aware of the irony of selecting an alternate title for the piece potentially being viewed as censorship itself, but you did say you weren't satisfied with the term either, lol.

As for more writers - yes. I basically only do the occasional review roundup or editorial, Shademp has his hands full with Unused Text stuff, etc etc. We need new blood.

Last edited:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I liked the video, but I think there needs to be more time given to the opposite viewpoint before refuting it. For instance, you say flat out that Barret's depiction is not racist, "No. Not at all." and then turn around and say "It can be argued that Barret plays up some of those racial charactistics."

I would prefer a deeper look, wherein you list the issue in question (i.e. Barret's characterization) and list the arguments for both viewpoints, give a small commentary (perhaps offering solutions such as hiring an african american writer to contribute to Barret's dialogue) then move on to the next topic (Tifa: should women wear whatever they goddamn well want? Well if so, give her an option to wear trousers?).

I would actually love to contribute to that video, identifying as a SJW myself. I also think hian would be an excellent contibuter, as while we disagree on these kinds of topics I respect how he backs up his beliefs.

Edit: "FF7 Remake: A Classic RPG vs. 20 Years of Social Progress" or "FF7 Remake: Modern Media vs. Classic RPGs" or "FF7: Classic? Or Classist?" or "FF7 Remake: Offensive Content for a New Generation." It's not like these things weren't harmful before, we're just talking about it now.

Last edited:

Pixel

The Pixie King
The script draws from threads where you all contributed. Most of the viewpoint for the Barret segment comes from Mog, which was the most interesting part of that convo, but it does draw on other opinions. The depictions of women and LGBT section go a bit deeper. I don't want it to get too long winded. Reading through the threads about the topics just gets TLDR.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Each of those topics could get a whole video in a series, if you wanted to milk it get real deep.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Something like that could work even better as an article. People who read articles are usually more attentive and open to differing opinions. Youtube on the other hand... :P Im hoping for a video like this to be a jumping off point for conversation.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Each of those topics could get a whole video in a series, if you wanted to milk it get real deep.

Why not make a counter-article / counter-video? You could go as in depth as you like without bogging down what Pixel has in mind. Plus I think it could be quite interesting. It wouldn't hurt to paint The Lifestream as politically neutral either, even if many of the board members swing left.

Fangu

Great Old One
I don't mind using the term 'SJW' in the title as clickbait as long as the video itself covers the topic in a well thought out way. It might actually be a good way to enlighten the OMG SJW'S SUCK club.

(The topic isn't so much SJW or PC anyway imo, it's more about 'the world has changed since 1997, how will this be reflected (or not) in the Remake?' It's kind of like watching Friends. That show is so obviously outdated, but people still accept it (and still watch it) because at the time, it was actually quite modern/ groundbreaking. (Men being close friends? Lesbian mothers? Wat?!))

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
My main concern with using "SJW" is that it'd attract a certain crowd - both from that corner and the anti- crowd - as well as heated debates. Political correctness - to me at least - sounds like it's less err, influenced by recent events.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
I think it would be interesting to come up with topics, create threads for discussion, then build editorials around opinions expressed.

This is something that I thought of as well a while back when we were tossing around ideas for the site. It's perfect in that it generates discussion points for the forum whilst also having the simultaneous benefit of providing content for the site as it is then turned into an editorial.

You could kinda do that now with some things found in the Remake forum, but something more organised would be cool.

I also definitely agree about more writers / fresh blood somehow, but there's the question of how to go about recruiting.

Something that has kept me from contributing in the past is the fact that so many of you guys are quite deep into the game and all the intricate points, so it can feel quite hard to step in and contribute something that will never be as factual. Maybe if some more opinion pieces were pushed out, that could help others to feel that they can do so too, and that editorials don't necessarily have to be these deep research topics.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
i right gud.

But really I'd be interested in writing a thing or two given the appropriate topic to research and analyze. Or opinion pieces or what have you.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Would anyone be interested in tackling any of these subjects? I figured it would be nice to get some editorials and videos out around e3.

Fantasy Based On Feedback
SE's Media Mix Approach To Storytelling

Im working with CrashOuch to get an e3 predictions/hopes vid out while I'm trying to get the drawings for Tifa's DML done.

All other suggestions are welcome.

Top Bottom