Why Did Sephiroth Take Jenova's Head

hleV

Pro Adventurer
Sephiroth was after Jenova's whole body but due to his injury he could only take a smaller part. Why did he need her body in the first place? Why did he believe it was a good idea to just rip her head off and take it with him?

Last edited:

Vito

Lv. 25 Adventurer
My Interpretation:

At this point it wasn't truly Sephiroth moving around but JENOVA taking Sephiroth's form. Sephiroth was still encased in the Lifestream at the Northern Crater. JENOVA needed the cells from her body and the one thing we know about JENOVA cells is they reproduce like a mother...

In essence taking the head was just a nice portable (and of course, morbidly gorey) thing to carry so that the JENOVA cells could spread. At least that's how I saw it.

How can Sephiroth control Jenova during the Nibelheim incident?

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
I take all that back. Forgive me I'm running on like 4 hours of sleep.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I wonder if it was the head, and not Sephiroth, that drew the flunkies to Knowlespole...

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I always assumed Sephiroth did it on a whim perhaps, since he was pretty crazy at the moment, and then it became a good thing because he had a lot more of her cells and stuff to control once he was in the Lifestream.
Best guess right now anyhow.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
I figured it was because while he managed to get back up after being stabbed with the Buster Sword in a way that by all rights should've cut him in half, he was probably only standing out of sheer hatred of the fact someone as insignificant as a Shinra MP did it. He was too wounded to carry Jenova's entire body out of the reactor, so he decided to cut his losses and settle for just the head. As far as I can tell, he at the very least had trouble walking at that point.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Yeah that's another question I have. How does one just "get stabbed" by the Buster Sword?

rurouniblade350_8055.png

You know the sword designed to cleave through HORSES? Forget walking, even a super-soldier like Sephiroth should have trouble holding in his internal organs after being hit by that thing.

Maybe I'm over-thinking it.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Which is exactly why the lack of even just blood really bothers me about the CC version of that scene. At least in the OG it could be dismissed as graphical limitations. Heck, Last Order's version may have that Sephiroth jumped BS but at least it showed blood. That change in the scene is basically the only real issue I have with it.

In any case Sephiroth probably had about an inch of flesh still attaching his two halves and ended up losing the legs by the time he ended up in the north crater. I think even Cloud thought he wouldn't be able to get up from that, hence why he went to check on Tifa. His expression when Sephiroth cuts off Jenova's head and tries to walk away always struck me as "WTF how are you even standing" to me. The only way I can rationalize it is if Sephiroth can actually heal that fast.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Or you know, Sephiroth lost the bottom half of his body. Take a look at the Northern Crater sequence again. He seems to be floating in that crystal, but his hair kind of hangs below where his torso fades away. The next time you see him, six white wings are sprouting from his abdomen.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Or you know, Sephiroth lost the bottom half of his body. Take a look at the Northern Crater sequence again. He seems to be floating in that crystal, but his hair kind of hangs below where his torso fades away. The next time you see him, six white wings are sprouting from his abdomen.

Do you mean Sephiroth losing the bottom half of his body not having to do with being cut in half? To be honest I was just grasping at straws to find some way in which canon acknowledges that he should've been cut in half by the Buster Sword. I still think my interpretation of why Cloud didn't make extra sure Sephiroth wasn't getting back up from that before checking on Tifa has some merit though.

Ite

AKA
Ite
I mean to say that Cloud cut Sephiroth mostly in half, and that blow killed Sephiroth.

imo Sephiroth is kind of dying even as he tries to leave the reactor. Being hurled from a catwalk into a wall, then falling 100 metres into a pool of radioactive waste sounds to me like it would finish the job the Buster sword started.

Oh! I missed this:

Hojo thinks so, anyway.

I disagree. Hojo immediately gives up actual science as soon as he's able to claim that his son is awesome, because Hojo's flaw is Pride (well... his fatal flaw) In fact, Hojo's immediate and untested assumption that Sephiroth (and not the head or the Lifestream-saturated rendezvous point) is what drew the flunkies is a result of his hubris and narcissism, not scientific thought.

Thus it has thrown the Jenova vs. Sephiroth debate into pure anarchic chaos.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
So we're basically in agreement. We'll never really know for sure whether or not Sephiroth would've been able to recover from being stabbed but as it stands Cloud throwing Sephiroth into the wall ended up being the killing blow. I went and got screenshots of the relevant parts of the scene. Cloud really does look like he doesn't get how Sephiroth got back up from that and I don't really blame him. I may have made a similar face when I first saw that version of the scene. The Buster Sword looks like it should've at least severed Sephiroth's spine, judging by the angle.

Attachments

• Cloud stabbing Sephiroth.png
    Cloud stabbing Sephiroth.png
    538.4 KB · Views: 96
  • Sephiroth.png
    Sephiroth.png
    467.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Cloud.png
    Cloud.png
    329 KB · Views: 39

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
It's quite obvious that Sephiroth has a gravity materia equipped and it's holding his body together. Quite obvious.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
True, that stab with the Buster Sword should severed his spine and almost cut his body in half. I think the reason he's still moving is pure strength of will, and we know Sephiroth has a high strength of will.

Or gravity materia. :monster:

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
It kinda makes sense that if Sephiroth was nearly cleaved from the Buster Sword but still needed Jenova, he would grab only the vital part he needed.. and when he jumped/fell into the reactor, the wound was too great and severed his body in half.. especially considering when you see Safer Seph with no lower half, and the third Seph is merely a mental battle with Cloud.

I did find it odd though, once learning that Sephiroth running around is really Jenova... how much of Jenova? All of her left back at the lab minus the head? Weren't they transporting her? But she's leaving trails for Cloud to follow? How much/what exactly is he chasing?

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
It is known a tactical Cure or Auto-Cure (is that a thing?) will heal even the worst of things (like idk, getting hit in the feisu by a solar system smiting comet or whatever it was).

Of note is also that Seffiros is cut into a couple dozen pieces during the climax of AC... except not. Kinda like spirit secks I think? :monster:

Starling

Pro Adventurer
I kinda want a montage of screenshots showing every instance of Cloud and Sephiroth stabbing each-other.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Hmm... not enough stabbing. I think we're missing some. Anyone feel like making new screencaps of ACC?
foot13.png

And just for good measure:
Final%20Fantasy%207%20(9).jpg

It's a shame they're not in their full size. I'm pretty sure I see my screencap in there.

hleV

Pro Adventurer
Maybe cure magic re-attaches body parts if they're still touching each other? Seph could've casted it off-screen.
Or since Seph has Jenova's DNA, perhaps his Jenova cells brought him back together.

Still, why go through the effort of taking mom's head? At this point I really want to blame bad writing, because this weird decision is likely what caused the plot of FF7 and Sephiroth's resurrection. "Let's make Seph take Jenova's head even though it's really weird, as that's how we get the plot going!"

Ite

AKA
Ite
Actually it doesn't do anything to the plot. the head is never seen or mentioned after that, and the mystery as to why is never solved.

hleV

Pro Adventurer
Only if we're to consider that Jenova's head didn't lend Seph a hand in staying conscious in the Lifestream.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
That he had the head with him probably helped him reconstruct his body, as he had Jenova cells to use in the process. Considering his mental state that night, Sephiroth may not have had a rational reason for cutting off the head. Like I said, he was too wounded to carry the body and probably figured taking just the head would be fine.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
[QUOTEOr you know, Sephiroth lost the bottom half of his body. Take a look at the Northern Crater sequence again. He seems to be floating in that crystal, but his hair kind of hangs below where his torso fades away. The next time you see him, six white wings are sprouting from his abdomen.][/QUOTE]

That's just because the devs didn't wanna do a full frontal shot.

By gameplay logic, that stabbing should have done about 100 HP of damage max. I'd just chalk it up to animation error.

Top Bottom