How cohesive will (or won't) the remake be with the Compilation? [Discussion split from interview thread]

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
It probably isn't worth it, truth be told, but that's neither here nor there for me.

The photograph and even Cloud's mom are worth something. 'Cause she's Cloud's mom. :monster: She means something to him. Genesis means even less to Cloud than the nonsense he was saying in that scene would.

Yeah, and there are holes in Cloud's memory of talking to his mom because there's stuff there he cares enough about to bury there. Which meant something in regards to Cloud's character. Don't lump Genesis in the same category because you don't want to either declare him non-canon or deal with him.

Zack yelled at Genesis to stop talking, he, the person that related the story to Cloud felt he had an effect. Zack certainly didn't go "and then Genesis showed up, but let's skip over that, Sephiroth was a lost cause already, let's be real." If the dialogue lacked substance, they should add some. The only change to the Mako Reactor conversation Cloud not being present for it should have is that Genesis got blamed too much, given that the story got filtered through Zack, Sephiroth's friend.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
If we are to believe that Cloud remembered everything Zack did, then he should remember defeating Genesis as well. Why bother bringing him up if he was just Sephiroth's friend that he killed on another adventure?

Zack didn't kill Genesis, nor did he think he did. He left him alive, healed of his degradation. Cloud either remembers that or the last thing he knows is his Genesis copies are cropping up all over the Planet again en masse before Sephiroth and Zack took him to Nibelheim expecting to encounter old friends. Unlike the Nibelheim residents we know he will talk about, he has every reason to think Genesis is alive.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Okay, but regardless of whether or not you think the Genesis conversation was executed poorly or not, but as others have repeatedly stated it's very obvious from how it was framed in CC that the developers inserted it in a manner so that it could fit with the OG of Cloud not mentioning Genesis during his first recounting of the Nibelheim incident, be it Cloud not "remembering" Genesis like the rest of his flawed memories (which I could perfectly believe since Cloud can't even "recall" what happened after he confronted Sephiroth in the reactor and how he survived) or not thinking it relevant to the context of story to his friends, or some other reason. The point is that scene was constructed as a literal additive scene, it doesn't modify a preexisting OG scene like say Before Crisis/Last Order did with Sephiroth jumping into the reactor instead of being thrown in.

Now whether or not the conveniency of the intended/implied rationals break your suspension of disbelief, that's perfectly fine and fair criticism. But Genesis not showing up in the Remake when Cloud first recounts the Nibelheim incident doesn't automatically mean that SE is ignoring/retconning Crisis Core/the Compilation.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Genesis not showing up in the Remake when Cloud first recounts the Nibelheim incident doesn't automatically mean that SE is ignoring/retconning Crisis Core/the Compilation.

Which also points out to what I've been saying several times. Just because Genesis won't make an appearence in the Remake doesn't mean that he doesn't exist. For all we know, Square's probably discussing to only have the guy mentioned vaguely by the Turks since new scenes are being added into the game.

It also makes sense for Cloud to not remember him due to his head being messed up and despite getting it cleared in the Lifestream, Cloud's still missing memories or just focused on the more important memories of both Tifa and Zack and what really happened that are important in his life.

Genesis did not make any impact on Cloud's life at all because they barely know each other, let alone meeting fully face to face.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
be it Cloud not "remembering" Genesis like the rest of his flawed memories (which I could perfectly believe since Cloud can't even "recall" what happened after he confronted Sephiroth in the reactor and how he survived)

Genesis did not make any impact on Cloud's life at all because they barely know each other, let alone meeting fully face to face.

Cloud can't remember what happened when he confronted Sephiroth because Zack got his ass kicked and then infantryman Cloud snuck in to finish the job. Two ideas Cloud had difficulty reconciling in his new persona. If Genesis HAD made an impact, if remembering Genesis was in any way tied to remembering his real past, it would make complete sense Cloud would delete him. As Tasha said, they didn't do that. He was just part of a conversation Zack had that Cloud is gonna recall word for word, step by step, until Genesis for no reason at all.

To be clear, Crisis Core could've done anything. But they went out of their way to make clear that Cloud's memory was perfect in this regard, every part of the monster in the chamber that Cloud never met at all (unlike Genesis) being accurate to his recollection. How that means it makes sense for Cloud to not remember Genesis to you guys is beyond me.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
It probably isn't worth it, truth be told, but that's neither here nor there for me.

The photograph and even Cloud's mom are worth something. 'Cause she's Cloud's mom. :monster: She means something to him. Genesis means even less to Cloud than the nonsense he was saying in that scene would.

Yeah, and there are holes in Cloud's memory of talking to his mom because there's stuff there he cares enough about to bury there. Which meant something in regards to Cloud's character. Don't lump Genesis in the same category because you don't want to either declare him non-canon or deal with him.
I have no idea how what you said here is supposed to be a response to what I said, so I'm moving on.

Minato said:
Zack yelled at Genesis to stop talking, he, the person that related the story to Cloud felt he had an effect. Zack certainly didn't go "and then Genesis showed up, but let's skip over that, Sephiroth was a lost cause already, let's be real." If the dialogue lacked substance, they should add some. The only change to the Mako Reactor conversation Cloud not being present for it should have is that Genesis got blamed too much, given that the story got filtered through Zack, Sephiroth's friend.

At the time Zack was telling him to stop, he had no idea what Sephiroth was going to do. You really can't make the argument that Zack was telling him not to say it because "he felt he had an effect" when said effect hadn't even been seen yet.

For that matter, what Sephiroth thinks he discovers is wildly at odds with what Genesis told him. Genesis told him Jenova was a monster. What Sephiroth ends up thinking (i.e. what he told Zack in the basement of the mansion) is that she was an Ancient -- and that Sephiroth himself is consequently one as well.

Why is Zack going to, as you put it, blame Genesis too much when Sephiroth isn't even citing what Genesis told him?

If we are to believe that Cloud remembered everything Zack did, then he should remember defeating Genesis as well. Why bother bringing him up if he was just Sephiroth's friend that he killed on another adventure?

Zack didn't kill Genesis, nor did he think he did. He left him alive, healed of his degradation. Cloud either remembers that or the last thing he knows is his Genesis copies are cropping up all over the Planet again en masse before Sephiroth and Zack took him to Nibelheim expecting to encounter old friends. Unlike the Nibelheim residents we know he will talk about, he has every reason to think Genesis is alive.
Alive, but not necessarily a threat. As you said, Zack defeated him yet didn't kill him, satisfied that he had done all he actually needed to. As far as Zack -- or Cloud -- should know, Genesis was dealt with by this point as much as he would ever need to be.

To be clear, Crisis Core could've done anything. But they went out of their way to make clear that Cloud's memory was perfect in this regard, every part of the monster in the chamber that Cloud never met at all (unlike Genesis) being accurate to his recollection. How that means it makes sense for Cloud to not remember Genesis to you guys is beyond me.
It's mostly you who keeps harping on that idea, though. Most of us are content with Cloud not mentioning it because, if he can remember the exchange, it's a confusing mess that only serves to confuse the things Sephiroth says and does later.

You'll recall from the original game that Cloud thought Jenova was both an Ancient and Sephiroth's actual mother all the way up until the team gets to Nibelheim:

Sephiroth: "Jenova will be at the Reunion. Jenova will join the Reunion becoming a calamity from the skies."
Cloud: "Jenova, a calamity from the skies? You mean she wasn't an Ancient!?"
----
Vincent: "You were also with Shinra...? Then do you know Lucrecia?"
Cloud: "Who?"
Vincent: "......Lucrecia. The woman who gave birth to Sephiroth.
Cloud: "...gave birth...? Wasn't Jenova Sephiroth's mother?"

His understanding up to this point (meaning it was also his understanding at the time of his story in Kalm) in no way fits with that of someone who a) remembers what Genesis said in the reactor, b) took some kind of understanding from it, and c) found it relevant --

Genesis: "The Jenova Project... was the term used for all experiments... relating to the use of Jenova's cells."
Sephiroth: "My mother's...cells?"
Genesis: "Poor little Sephiroth... You've never actually met your mother. You've only been told her name, no? I don't know what images you've conjured up in your head, but..."
Zack: "Genesis, no!"
Genesis: "Jenova was excavated from a 2000-year-old rock layer. She's a monster."

So pick whatever is more palatable to you: Either Cloud doesn't remember, or he thought Genesis was an inconsequential loon and left him out because he added nothing to the story.

hleV

Pro Adventurer
Cloud remembers things from his and Zack's past: some clearly, some not so much, some not at all. Yes, it is random to accurately recall shit and then suddenly not, but Cloud's memory is messed up and that is a working explanation.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Killed or not killed, I honestly was so not interested in CC by the time it got to the final boss that I forgot what actually happened. There was some sort of goddess thing.

YOU KNOW WHAT I MEANT TO SAY. Genesis was the final boss of CC, his story is effectively over by the time the OG happens. If Cloud has seamlessly merged with Zack to the point of crystal clear memory (a point I grossly disagree with but for argument's sake) then Genesis is a convoluted mess that's already been dealt with and not relevant to the return of the ACTUAL villain.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
At the time Zack was telling him to stop, he had no idea what Sephiroth was going to do. You really can't make the argument that Zack was telling him not to say it because "he felt he had an effect" when said effect hadn't even been seen yet.

For that matter, what Sephiroth thinks he discovers is wildly at odds with what Genesis told him. Genesis told him Jenova was a monster. What Sephiroth ends up thinking (i.e. what he told Zack in the basement of the mansion) is that she was an Ancient -- and that Sephiroth himself is consequently one as well.

Why is Zack going to, as you put it, blame Genesis too much when Sephiroth isn't even citing what Genesis told him?

As far as Zack was concerned the Sephiroth he knew had already left the building by the time he was declaring himself the Chosen One. He went crazy at some between what Genesis said and his time in that basement. I'm just saying it makes more sense then for Cloud or zack to leave Genesis out altogether.

Alive, but not necessarily a threat. As you said, Zack defeated him yet didn't kill him, satisfied that he had done all he actually needed to. As far as Zack -- or Cloud -- should know, Genesis was dealt with by this point as much as he would ever need to be.

So Cloud will prioritise the other stuff because on some level he knows the town residents we turned into Sephiroth Clones they might need to face down the road unlike Genesis?

It's mostly you who keeps harping on that idea, though. Most of us are content with Cloud not mentioning it because, if he can remember the exchange, it's a confusing mess that only serves to confuse the things Sephiroth says and does later.

You'll recall from the original game that Cloud thought Jenova was both an Ancient and Sephiroth's actual mother all the way up until the team gets to Nibelheim:

Sephiroth: "Jenova will be at the Reunion. Jenova will join the Reunion becoming a calamity from the skies."
Cloud: "Jenova, a calamity from the skies? You mean she wasn't an Ancient!?"
----
Vincent: "You were also with Shinra...? Then do you know Lucrecia?"
Cloud: "Who?"
Vincent: "......Lucrecia. The woman who gave birth to Sephiroth.
Cloud: "...gave birth...? Wasn't Jenova Sephiroth's mother?"

His understanding up to this point (meaning it was also his understanding at the time of his story in Kalm) in no way fits with that of someone who a) remembers what Genesis said in the reactor, b) took some kind of understanding from it, and c) found it relevant --

Genesis: "The Jenova Project... was the term used for all experiments... relating to the use of Jenova's cells."
Sephiroth: "My mother's...cells?"
Genesis: "Poor little Sephiroth... You've never actually met your mother. You've only been told her name, no? I don't know what images you've conjured up in your head, but..."
Zack: "Genesis, no!"
Genesis: "Jenova was excavated from a 2000-year-old rock layer. She's a monster."

So pick whatever is more palatable to you: Either Cloud doesn't remember, or he thought Genesis was an inconsequential loon and left him out because he added nothing to the story.

Yeah Crisis Core retconned parts of the Jenova Project. If it's canon then Crisis Core is the only version of the story Cloud and Zack lived through in the Remake rather what was presented in the OG. If Crisis Core is canon but not what Cloud recalls I'd like a reason beyond "Cloud is pantscrapping crazy without any pattern or reason behind it" or "Cloud really felt the photograhy stuff was gonna be really important and if that meant he had to skimp out on the why Sephiroth went insane details of the story of how Sephiroth went insane so be it".

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Yeah Crisis Core retconned parts of the Jenova Project. If it's canon then Crisis Core is the only version of the story Cloud and Zack lived through in the Remake rather what was presented in the OG. If Crisis Core is canon but not what Cloud recalls I'd like a reason beyond "Cloud is pantscrapping crazy without any pattern or reason behind it" or "Cloud really felt the photograhy stuff was gonna be really important and if that meant he had to skimp out on the why Sephiroth went insane details of the story of how Sephiroth went insane so be it".

Well as many people in this thread have been saying, I don't you're likely going to get more of an explanation beyond one of those two potential reasons: either Cloud doesn't "remember" the Genesis conversation because his memory/brain is majorly f***ed up or he did "remember" it but simply didn't feel it relevant to include in his initial recounting of the flashback.

Now, you've made it abundantly clear that you think such convenient Watsonian reasons are extremely insufficient to the point it breaks your suspension of disbelief for the story and that's a perfectly valid reaction to have.
While personally (and apparently others agree with me on this) said reasons are prefectlty sufficient and don't have much issue reconciling Crisis Core still being canon with the OG and the potential of the Remake likely not including an explicit direct reference to Genesis' CC conversation; it just doesn't break my suspension of disbelief. There really isn't much more that can be said on the issue.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Jenova (and/or his subconscious) did just seem to strike from the record any memories that couldn't fully fit into the narrative. Such as him not remembering how the fight with Sephiroth went, how he joined SOLDIER, when he "couldn't stand wearing [the uniform] anymore", etc. etc. Since, as we said before, a lot of what Genesis said wouldn't have made a lot of sense to Cloud, it could have suffered the same fate. Which I think seems a bit less hand-wavey than "he forgot."

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Just to be clear, I'm not offended by Genesis' existence or putting him down or something. I just think that putting in that conversation would be really confusing for new players and anyone that hasn't played CC, plus the people in universe Cloud is telling the story to.

We've had several versions of Nibelheim, all of which have been edited pretty pragmatically. Cloud's second attempt at Sephy was moved inwards because they wanted to give a Turk the opportunity to sneak up behind them, then it was moved again to be closer to Zack. If they want to acknowledge the compilation without derailing the scene, it would make sense to mention the Genesis scene without going into much detail, or edit it so that Cloud loses a memory or leaves the room or something. It is reaching a bit, but the conversation in full would need a lot of explaining if they included it.

I don't think Cloud does have all of Zack's memories, btw. He doesn't remember Aeris, and his memories of the whole escape from Nibelheim seem to be fragmented and hazy. He'd have to edit himself out of the ones he was there for, which would get complicated (what was the name of that infantryman I made friends with in Modeoheim? What happened to him?)

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I don't think Cloud does have all of Zack's memories, btw. He doesn't remember Aeris, and his memories of the whole escape from Nibelheim seem to be fragmented and hazy.

Just to clarify, I don't think he had all of them. With regard to those where he inserted himself in Zack's place, though, he remembered them word for word without having been there, so I do think that he (i.e. his Jenova cells) either a) literally copied Zack's memories of those as he was telling Cloud about them, or b) Cloud committed the stories to perfect memory (thanks again to the Jenova cells) as he was hearing the stories.

I see either route as equally plausible.

Those memories would have been on the surface of Zack's mind at the time he was telling Cloud about them, so -- if Cloud's Jenova cells could copy Tifa's memories about him without her even talking about them -- then it only makes sense that the cells could also copy Zack's memories when he was actually saying them aloud.

Likewise, Zack had Jenova cells in him as well, so it's not unreasonable to think that he would have perfectly memorized those conversations, and, thus, would have passed along perfect accounts of them to Cloud -- who, in turn, would have perfectly memorized them as well.

Either route works in my mind. :monster:

Unit-01

Might be around.
AKA
Sic, Anthony
Let me quote myself from the last time you said that a couple of days ago. :monster:
I don't think anyone is saying he necessarily had to forget, as convenient an explanation as that would be. For that matter, the original game made use of that approach endlessly, so I don't think it would be any great sin if one of us were to anyway. But again, it's not necessary that he forgot. That he has no good reason to bring it up is plenty sufficient.

I've actually subscribed to this after Force retold me cause I read past your first post about it.

It makes sense and both parties happy, Genesis isn't retconned from the Crisis Core scene, but doesn't interrupt the flow during the flashback sequence.

It makes far more sense for Cloud to be like... "yea that was a mess between Zack and Genesis... and he's done soo no point."

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
I don't think Cloud does have all of Zack's memories, btw. He doesn't remember Aeris, and his memories of the whole escape from Nibelheim seem to be fragmented and hazy.

Just to clarify, I don't think he had all of them. With regard to those where he inserted himself in Zack's place, though, he remembered them word for word without having been there, so I do think that he (i.e. his Jenova cells) either a) literally copied Zack's memories of those as he was telling Cloud about them, or b) Cloud committed the stories to perfect memory (thanks again to the Jenova cells) as he was hearing the stories.

I see either route as equally plausible.

Those memories would have been on the surface of Zack's mind at the time he was telling Cloud about them, so -- if Cloud's Jenova cells could copy Tifa's memories about him without her even talking about them -- then it only makes sense that the cells could also copy Zack's memories when he was actually saying them aloud.

Likewise, Zack had Jenova cells in him as well, so it's not unreasonable to think that he would have perfectly memorized those conversations, and, thus, would have passed along perfect accounts of them to Cloud -- who, in turn, would have perfectly memorized them as well.

Either route works in my mind. :monster:

Did he know them word for word, or is that just flashback conventions? I mean, we don't think in Titanic that Rose is reciting every single things that happens, do we?

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Well, they match what was said in Crisis Core, so I'm going with them being copied. Especially since we're dealing with a setting where that's a thing that happens, as well as a character known to have done it at least once.

hleV

Pro Adventurer
Yeah, it's the easiest explanation, and one I've always subscribed to: Cloud copied Zack's AND Tifa's certain memories.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
I think the story works better without copying memories. The whole thing about Cloud knowing things he shouldn't know is because he wasn't in Nibelheim five years ago, but the reveal is that he was there! Cloud has his memories from Nibelheim and Zack's stories, and Cloud's broken mind is patched together with help from Jenova using these things.

I know Jenova copying from people's memories is one of her abilities, and Sephiroth/Jenova suggests it in the illusion at the crater: It's just not necessary and is more satisfying for it to not be the case.

I put the identical dialogue for what Cloud remembers and what actually happens as in Crisis Core down to just storytelling. I kinda feel like playing the scenes exactly the same actually makes more sense regardless. Because they're familiar events reminding people of the original, why write a similar but different scene? It's not like during Cloud's flashback he was really recounting everything that happened word for word.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
To say nothing of the fact that Jenova cells are in both Cloud AND Zack, and Jenova cells can communicate in some fashion. So it doesn't even necessarily involve some kind of metaphysical memory-absorption.

Top Bottom