Remake Interviews: Catch-all Thread

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I'm tellin' ya. It's the saga of FFXV all over again.

KH3 for PS4: Cancelled. Changed to PS5-2020 if 2018 rumors are(most likely at this point) fake and MORE lies.

FFVII Remake Part 1 for PS4: Cancelled. Changed to PS5-2021 if 2019 rumors are(most likely at this point) fake and MORE lies.

Nomura is one of the WORST directors in history of anything.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I'm tellin' ya. It's the saga of FFXV all over again.

KH3 for PS4: Cancelled. Changed to PS5-2020 if 2018 rumors are(most likely at this point) fake and MORE lies.

FFVII Remake Part 1 for PS4: Cancelled. Changed to PS5-2021 if 2019 rumors are(most likely at this point) fake and MORE lies.

Nomura is one of the WORST directors in history of anything.

*Side eyes grumpily*

No.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Seems like CC2 weren't up to scratch. I know Nomura had issues before what we saw at PSX, and had things redone. Moving things in-house to keep a closer eye on quality is what they should have done from the start.

“So far, development (for FFVIIR) has been carried out mainly with the support of external partners. However, in view of factors such as improving quality when the product goes into mass production in the future, the company has decided to shift the developmental system back to within the company, so as to maintain a stable schedule and have control over factors such as quality. We will be forming a robust system within the company to properly carry out the development.”

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2017/05/final-fantasy-vii-remake-shifts-toward-internal-development/

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Seems like CC2 weren't up to scratch. I know Nomura had issues before what we saw at PSX, and had things redone. Moving things in-house to keep a closer eye on quality is what they should have done from the start.

“So far, development (for FFVIIR) has been carried out mainly with the support of external partners. However, in view of factors such as improving quality when the product goes into mass production in the future, the company has decided to shift the developmental system back to within the company, so as to maintain a stable schedule and have control over factors such as quality. We will be forming a robust system within the company to properly carry out the development.”
http://www.novacrystallis.com/2017/05/final-fantasy-vii-remake-shifts-toward-internal-development/

Maybe they should ask Team Ninja's help and use their engine for the Remake like they've done for Dissidia Arcade.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I'm kinda bummed that development has switched to being in-house. I liked the idea of the mega-fans at CyberConnect2 working on the Remake. I feel that for some bizarre reason creators lose touch with what made their original works so special. Like, I would trust y'all to do a much better job re-telling the story of VII than Kitase/Nomura.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
I'm kinda bummed that development has switched to being in-house. I liked the idea of the mega-fans at CyberConnect2 working on the Remake. I feel that for some bizarre reason creators lose touch with what made their original works so special. Like, I would trust y'all to do a much better job re-telling the story of VII than Kitase/Nomura.

Guess despite how they did a good job with G-Bike, CyberConnect2's engines just can't handle the pressure of developing games that much and maybe this is why you don't hear much about them often.

Besides, this isn't the first time Square's games had an engine switch.

Back in 2014, KH3 had an engine switch too: From Luminous Studio engine to Unreal 4 Engine due to FFXV using the former engine. So I'm not surprised that FFVII Remake had an engine switch too. I just had a feeling that CyberConnect2 wouldn't be involved that much, to be honest.

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer
Ah, now this is interesting. So are CC2 off the project completely? Will main development stay in-house for all parts? This is the first real feeling of a setback to me. Curious to see if there is any visible impact going forward.

hian

Purist
I don't think this has anything to do with set backs or dissatisfaction. The people in the articles are grasping at straws. Nomura's issue with the first trailer was, as far as I know, only pertaining to direction, not the assets or anything like that. That should be apparent given that the second trailer contained footage from the first, which likely it would not do if Nomura was dissatisfied to any meaningful degree.

Most likely this is a natural move of convenience. Originally FFVIIR was probably slated as a trump card in case FFVX didn't do as well as expected, and they outsourced it largely because they didn't have enough free internal resources to spare. FFXV sold well enough, resources have been freed up, and so naturally it would be both wasteful and counterproductive to keep development going over at CC2 given that the management and design team is located at SE and have to run back and forth anything of importance is happening.

Cutting out the middle man at this point is not a set back, rather it's a means of speeding up production. There is one caveat to this which might not be a positive though - this rush move might signal that upper management is pushing for an earlier release than what Kitase and Nomura was originally aiming for, and we all know what rush jobs do to ambitious games *looks at FFXV*

ForceStealer

Double Growth
^Yes I see the internet commenters freaking out because of how terrible LR supposedly was. Firstly, it wasn't really terrible, secondly, the guy was a main programmer, not the designer or director.

hian

Purist
That was already known through the job listing press statement from a few days back. Why are gamespot picking up on that now?

I'm not too bothered by it though. As much as I personally dislike the XIII saga, the guy seems like a solid worker who gets stuff done, and my peeves with the games he has worked on is less with stuff pertaining to development technicalities or gameplay, and more to do with stuff like storytelling and how limited their content was, non of which he had much if anything to do with. The guy's probably going to largely be in charge of the programming and asset development teams so I don't think it spells bad for the remake.

Edit : what ramza said.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I find myself very frustrated with some of the role terms. "Project Lead" what does that mean in terms of the hierarchy compared to the game director?

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I find myself very frustrated with some of the role terms. "Project Lead" what does that mean in terms of the hierarchy compared to the game director?

Project leads are usually in charge of doing things like sprint organization and prioritization for deadlines and things and keeping their team on track for deadlines. VERY different than directors insofar as responsibilities. I think that if you're somewhat familiar with software development, the roles are all fairly straightforward.

X :neo:

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
From my understanding a director is the guy that chooses where and how a project will go. The project lead (and in similar fashion the producers) guy is the person in charge of keeping the director's feet on the ground.

hian

Purist
In terms of Japanese corporate structure the project lead or manager is a person who directs workflow, as it pertains to the administration of tasks and coordination of floor level personnel with the directives of the head design team (lead designers, lead programmers etc. which is spearheaded by the producer and directors).

I.E the producer, director(s) and leads sit down and decide what the game is going to be, the project leader or manager is the guy who organizes how, when and by who those decissions are to be carried out.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I think this shift in gears, and a team overhaul is a very good sign that KH3 is in its final polishings and they're turning their main focus to this title. That's my hope, and until E3 crushes me I will hold on to that hope like a cat on a branch.

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
現在進行中のFINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE制作のコアメンバーを求めて ―― スクウェア・エニックス 北瀬佳範氏インタビュー

nKCCDxU.jpg

Obviously a proper translation is needed but this bit from google translate felt the most relevant to me.

一通りの機能とコンテンツが実装されたプログラムを開発チームは随時検証しているのですが、原作をハイクオリティなグラフィクスで再現すると言う意味では満足のいく水準になってる一方で、ファンの期待に応えられる品質にはもう一段高みを目指すべきだという結論に達しました。
「FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKEに求められるクオリティ」という私たちが目指す価値観を共有するには、今以上にスタッフ間のきめ細かなコミュニケーションが必要です。 そのために社内開発スタッフの比重を今以上に高くすることが必要だと考えたのです。

(Google Translate)

While the development team is constantly examining programs that implement all kinds of functions and contents, while the satisfaction level is reached in terms of reproducing the original with high quality graphics, on the expectation of fans We have reached the conclusion that we should aim for another level of quality to be answered.
In order to share the values ​​we are aiming at "FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE required quality", we need more detailed communication between staff than ever. For that reason, I thought that it was necessary to raise the gravity of in-house development staff more than now.

My overall impression from the google translation is that the article doesn't let us know anything about the current state of the remake other than "please come work for us on this game". Somebody please prove me wrong here.

── 最後に北瀬プロデューサーご自身のFINAL FANTASY VII REMAKEに掛ける思いと、応募を考える方々にメッセージをお願いします。
北瀬氏:世界的な大ヒットで多くのゲームファンの心をつかんだFINAL FANTASY VIIも既に20年前の作品。 この作品に登場するクラウドやセフィロスは、今もFINAL FANTASYシリーズ屈指の人気キャラクターでありますが、若い年齢層のゲームファンには原作の未経験の人も増えてきたのも事実です。 原作が当時もたらした衝撃以上のものを、今のゲームファンに再び巻き起こす事で、更にこの先100年愛されるキャラクターへと成長させていくのが私の願いです。

(Google Translate)

── Please give us a message to Kitasase producer's own thoughts on FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE and those who think about applying.
Mr. Kitase: FINAL FANTASY VII, which has captured the hearts of many game fans worldwide, is already a work 20 years ago. Cloud and Sephiroth appearing in this work are still one of the most popular characters in the FINAL FANTASY series, but it is also true that the number of inexperienced people of the original has increased for young age group game fans. It is my wish to grow more than the impact that the original brought back to the current game fans to the character that is loved for the next 100 years.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I can't wait to see what comes out of the full interview. Hopefully we get some sense of how things are going since it's been so silent until now.

X :neo:

Top Bottom