ReBoot: The Guardian Code

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
C3xA2ZV.jpg

ifr1YCn.png

VANCOUVER, BC – WOW! Unlimited Media’s Mainframe Studios and Corus Entertainment are pleased to announce that production is underway in Victoria/Vancouver, B.C. on the live-action elements of ReBoot: The Guardian Code, a 20×22 minute live-action/CG-animated hybrid television series. This next phase of production reimagines the original 1994 animated classic, ReBoot, in a real life setting for modern, tech savvy audiences. Created by Michael Hefferon, the show follows four teenagers who discover that they’ve been selected to become the Next-Generation Guardians of cyberspace. ReBoot: The Guardian Code will premiere in Canada in 2018 on YTV.

After playing the multiplayer Cyber Guardians video game together, four teenagers are recruited by V.E.R.A (Hannah Vandenbygaart, Bruno & Boots: Go Jump in the Pool!), the Virtual Evolutionary Recombinant Avatar, to fulfill their mandate to mend and defend cyberspace. Austin (Ty Wood, The Haunting in Connecticut), Tamra (Sydney Scotia, Some Assembly Required), Parker (Ajay Parikh-Friese, Mr. Young), and Trey (Gabriel Darku, Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments) now must protect cyberspace from threats that pose true consequences to both the virtual and real world. It’s more than these kids expected when they started at Alan Turing High. Way more.

ReBoot: The Guardian Code intercuts live-action scenes with awe-inspiring CG animation produced with the Unreal game engine, showing how the real world and cyberspace are interconnected. “The power of the game engine’s capabilities to create vast cyberspace settings along with AI (Artificial Intelligence) for dynamic secondary animation fused with live action, will deliver a truly unique and engaging experience for viewers”, says Creator and Executive Producer Michael Hefferon. “As groundbreaking as the original ReBoot was being the first ever CG animated series, ReBoot: The Guardian Code takes it to a whole new level.”

This innovative series will also deliver true 360-degree engagement experiences for audiences with interactive mobile games, a digital trading card game that syncs with the broadcast of the series, and a Virtual Reality experience that puts fans right in the middle of the cyberspace action. More details to be announced at a later date.

ReBoot: The Guardian Code is produced by Mainframe Studios in association with Corus Entertainment, with Executive Producer/Producer Michael Hefferon, Executive Producer/Showrunner Larry Raskin, and Matt Sheppo, the Production Executive for Corus. The action-comedy series is directed by Co-Executive Producer Pat Williams, and Michael Dowding is the Supervising Director of Animation. Corus Entertainment’s YTV is the Canadian broadcaster with Nelvana Enterprises handling worldwide distribution, licensing, and merchandising for the series.

YTV's tweet was met with near universal hatred, confusion and disgust.

wIv4ZWQ.png

lV0nDwB.png

Yeah. I hate this. Fuck Rainmaker. Fuck Michael Hefferon.

giphy.gif

Hopefully the company will go under once this flops big time.

Last edited:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I live in Vancouver and have friends who have been working on this, and they've said that it's basically shit. So, we'll all let it get buried and forget about it. The Reboot reboot has been an open secret for a while, but even I didn't know the extent of this shit-itude until now, only that my buds said "yeah, uh... it wasn't what I expected to be developing..."

WHY do companies do this? Who says, "Let's take an old show people love, so we'll get that audience, then completely change it!" and who approves it? It's a bait and switch and just pisses people off, and gives you bad publicity.

Just fuck off.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
They can finish the original or fuck off.

Then the latter is what they'll be doing. The company has no intentions of ever finishing the series proper because they refuse to bring the original co-creators back in to do their thing.

Honestly, at this point, I'm starting to hold them to blame a little bit as well. If they truly don't expect they'll ever get to finish this thing, why not hold an AMA on Reddit or something and let us know everything they had planned?

You know at least one of these guys. What's going on? Have they been holding out for this shitshow to blow up in the current regime's faces to see if they'll get the chance to finish out the original?

Because let's be realistic: There's no way they're going to bring those guys back to produce a single season (or less?) of a property out of which the company hopes to get several years worth of merchandising.

Kionae

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Desha
Why, God?!

They did the same thing with Jem... took a cartoon with a buttload of nostalgia and utterly killed it with a live-action piece of crap that didn't even bother following the source material.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Rainmaker be like:

:tauntingshinji:

I'm just gonna sit and do a Reboot marathon and pretend I never saw this.

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
Honestly, at this point, I'm starting to hold them to blame a little bit as well. If they truly don't expect they'll ever get to finish this thing, why not hold an AMA on Reddit or something and let us know everything they had planned?

Once you play your hand of cards, that's all you've got. Not to mention that once it's out in public, Rainmaker could use whatever they wanted from it. When the web-comic was made, a "static storm" was a brief element in it. Yet perhaps coincidentally, a year or so before the comic went online, one of the main writers was at a convention panel...where one of the co-creators was speaking (Gavin Blair). While going over things, he mentioned the original concept for the episode "Talent Night" (Enzo's birthday) had everyone gathering in Dot's Diner, because there was a static storm outside, and it would help keep the episode nice and contained in a small setting.... following a bunch of laughter because the episode was rather grandiose.

You know at least one of these guys. What's going on? Have they been holding out for this shitshow to blow up in the current regime's faces to see if they'll get the chance to finish out the original?

Oh I know all 3 of the co-creators. Since they don't own the rights, there's not much they can do but bide their time and wait for a chance to get back to the show. I know at least 2 out of 3 wish to continue it (I think the third may not if only because he's no longer in Canada...or that continent).

Because let's be realistic: There's no way they're going to bring those guys back to produce a single season (or less?) of a property out of which the company hopes to get several years worth of merchandising.

At one point the CEO of Rainmaker said that they had hoped to continue the original series in some online-format.... and I think the co-creators had some hope of that working out. But suffice to say Rainmaker is Rainmaker... they excel at making empty promises and never delivering (still waiting on that soundtrack that should've been out a year ago....).

So it's just a waiting game.... if TGC really bombs, it may cause Rainmaker to go bankrupt. Perhaps then the rights can be bought up by the co-creators and they'll be free to do what they wish with their story.

I live in Vancouver and have friends who have been working on this, and they've said that it's basically shit. So, we'll all let it get buried and forget about it. The Reboot reboot has been an open secret for a while, but even I didn't know the extent of this shit-itude until now, only that my buds said "yeah, uh... it wasn't what I expected to be developing..."

it's basically shit

Not surprised. The concept alone is very unoriginal.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
The car is what they promised... the cardboard is what we've been given. :closedmonster:

6420ca9ebb9cec41756b4b0a43337cf8.gif

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
So it's just a waiting game.... if TGC really bombs, it may cause Rainmaker to go bankrupt. Perhaps then the rights can be bought up by the co-creators and they'll be free to do what they wish with their story.
Alright. I'll reel back my righteous indignation for the time being and keep hoping.

For the record, if that actually happens, I'll contribute to a Kickstarter to see their intent fulfilled.

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
Well.... looks like it's going to be on Netflix (in the US at the very least) come February.

JcEANXV.png

It would appear that in the United States (and perhaps other countries) no TV network signed on to broadcast the series, so Rainmaker made a deal with Netflix instead. At present it is unknown if it will also be available on Netflix in Canada. That said, February is likely to be the month it will premiere on YTV as well.

There's also some irony in having to resort to Netflix for TGC. In 2015, Hefferon had said:

"For the year before I came up with what the new concept, I talked with people. I talked with broadcasters around the world. The one [resounding] thing — and I hate to break it to the fans — was nobody wanted the reboot of what [the show originally] was. Nobody was willing to buy it."

I've always questioned that claim, but the obvious answer to keeping the show as it was (beyond bringing the original co-creators on board), was to go straight to Netflix if no traditional networks wanted it.

In any event, good to see this finally happening. This way everyone can agree it's a pile of steaming bullshit and Rainmaker might just give up with ReBoot...and give the rights to those who rightfully deserve them, the original co-creators.

Last edited:

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
I had completely forgotten this was a thing in the past few months, it was a wonderful time.

Cacti

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Kanthos, Cacti Kanth
Good god this looks awful. What an emotional rollercoaster it was to rediscover something I watched as a kid and completely forgot about for years and then see this. May today be a day I forget about for the rest of my life.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I can sorta believe the unwillingness to sell the show with the original pitch. The cost/quality demand of a fully animated 3D production might unfortunately beyond the scope of a small studio like Rainmaker... From what I understand, the footage demands/pay rates for Vancouver animators back in the 90s did not adhere to the same standards as they do these days. Things like unpaid overtime/no pay for revisions/pay per footage produced rather than hours worked/work that goes uncredited were much more common 25 years ago than today (though those things still happen). I have the sneaking suspicion that maybe how the original Reboot was able to be made in the first place, though I could be wrong.

I am sure there are plenty of 3D artists who would be willing to take it on as a passion project, but Vancouver is an expensive city, and there's a lot of options for work in the industry. Like I said, I can't say for certain as I would have to look into what what Rainmaker offers in terms of pay/benefits and whatnot, but I know that it's a smaller studio and that a lot of the permanent staff have been there forever. Everyone I know who's worked there has been on a temporary contract. From my impression, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have the proper resources at one time to produce the Reboot show everyone wants. Especially on top of all the Barbie stuff they do :/

On top of that, I wouldn't be surprised if execs feel that the original design of the show looks outdated to the modern target demographic :( not saying I agree with that, but I can executives shutting the premise down on that basis alone.

Anyways I'm really sad it's come to this. The Reboot movie development has been whispered around town ever since the last movie was released. I personally just thought it would just be one of those things that never came to fruition in any form. What they've done now somehow seems worse than doing nothing at all...

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I can sorta believe the unwillingness to sell the show with the original pitch. The cost/quality demand of a fully animated 3D production might unfortunately beyond the scope of a small studio like Rainmaker... From what I understand, the footage demands/pay rates for Vancouver animators back in the 90s did not adhere to the same standards as they do these days. Things like unpaid overtime/no pay for revisions/pay per footage produced rather than hours worked/work that goes uncredited were much more common 25 years ago than today (though those things still happen). I have the sneaking suspicion that maybe how the original Reboot was able to be made in the first place, though I could be wrong.

So working on a CG show then was like working on a video game now?

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
^lolol probably, actually :monster:

Let me add - I don't know exactly how common it might have been 20 years ago as opposed to now. I am just giving the benefit of the doubt when it comes to progress :monster: That stuff does still happen, but I am more familiar with the 2D animation studios that get away with it :P Looking up what happened during the production of Sausage Party is a good example.

Top Bottom