• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

OK I Need Some FF Games Help

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
So it shouldn't be a surprise to you that I came to FF by VII (please don't kill me by the very overdone cleche) around 1 1/2yrs ago. I was planning on looking at the rest of the games (if you are confused by "look", I don't have a console, nor do I desire to emulate one - I honestly suck at these types of games) but since they are so goshdang long I was wondering if someone could help me out and suggest some quickplays or something to get me along. I'm not even out of the sprites yet (I'm at II, yeaaa I have a long way to go I know).

I'm going crazy here trying to figure out a way :rage: So any volunteering would be very much appreciated :salute:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I wouldn't start / have started from the beginning :) I know it seems like a logical place to begin, but as each game has a standalone story (e.g. II does not continue from where I left off), you might as well start with the most accessible or interesting ones.

Why not start with some of the voice-acted games? I recently watched Final Fantasy XII: the Movie, which contains little more than the cutscenes, FMVs and boss fights. Although there is loads more backstory to be found in the game by talking to everyone, that usually ends up in a 100-hour playthrough rather than a six-and-a-half-hour video. Let us know what you end up doing!

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
Do you want speedruns, completionist runs, or more regular stuff?

anything would be helpful thanks :) as long as they have the storyline intact instead of skipping scenes to get onto gameplay >.< hate it when they do that.

I wouldn't start / have started from the beginning :) I know it seems like a logical place to begin, but as each game has a standalone story (e.g. II does not continue from where I left off), you might as well start with the most accessible or interesting ones.

i know, but i didnt want to seem as a FF noob and be like "I want real graphics not some badly made sprites d00d", so that's why i started from I.

Why not start with some of the voice-acted games? I recently watched Final Fantasy XII: the Movie, which contains little more than the cutscenes, FMVs and boss fights. Although there is loads more backstory to be found in the game by talking to everyone, that usually ends up in a 100-hour playthrough rather than a six-and-a-half-hour video. Let us know what you end up doing!
i have watched videos like that! :D completely forgot thanks! i'll seriously consider that one.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Get yourself a Playstation Portable or PSVita:

Final Fantasy I + II 20th Anniversary for PSP
Final Fantasy III (DS port) for PSP
Final Fantasy IV + After Years for PSP
Final Fantasy Anthology (V + VI) PSone game
Final Fantasy VII PSone game
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (PSone/PSP/PSV)
Final Fantasy VIII PSone game
Final Fantasy IX PSone game
Final Fantasy X HD PSV
Final Fantasy X-2 HD PSV

Ummm... you can't "own" Final Fantasy XI since it's online.

FFXII is probably in the works for PSV (its on PS2 though)
FFXIII is on PS3
FFXIII-2 also on PS3
LR:FFXIII also on PS3
FFXIV on PS3 + PS4 (but you can't own it since it's online)

and uh FFXV will be whenever...

Oh and don't forget these:
FFDimensions (NDS)
FFDissidia / Dissidia Duodecim (PSP)
FFCrystal Chronicles Series (Gamecube/Wii)
FFTactics Advanced / A2 (GBA)
FFXII-2 Revenant Wings / Grimoire of the Rift
Vagrant Story (PSone)

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
No one's twisting your arm to play them. But they're there if you want to play them.

But seriously some titles are worth playing.

If you want something that just "summarizes the FFs" then play Dissidia Duodecim. It's not really an RPG in a full sense but it is in part, but at the same time it's more of an action/battle game.

Wolfhart

embraces her dreams
AKA
Monik XIII
If you want something that just "summarizes the FFs" then play Dissidia Duodecim. It's not really an RPG in a full sense but it is in part, but at the same time it's more of an action/battle game.

I played Dissidia Duodecim and now I'm planning to play as many Final Fantasy games as possible :lol: so far: IX, almost finished III (help with the final bosses?...), and on disc 2 of VIII. I had already played XIII and VII. After VIII I think I'll try VI or X.

...So beware, after playing Dissidia you may be doomed to play all FFs! or maybe not...

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
ok after thinking it over i would like to thank Flintrock. i decided to look at the movies when i can. but unfortunately the movies dont start until IV so i'll just have to suffer with full gameplay and everything until then.

thanks everyone :joy:

this was bugging me for some reason but i didnt really come to FF directly from VII. i came to it by the crisis core sephy vs his friends fight. i have no idea why i had to say this but it was getting on my back lol

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
took me nearly a year to get around to it but i finally completed FF II
.....part 1......-_- (each part is nearly 4hrs long)

i'm really glad to get into this tho. but
the twins!!! NUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!! loved you guys!

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
> Doesn't want to seem like an FF noob
> Doesn't want to play the games

Then probably the best bet would be the marathon movies on YT for the voice-acted ones as Flintlock suggested. For the prior ones, you can look at gameplay videos but game scripts would probably suit your purposes better. You can still find them floating about the internet.

There's always FF: Record Keeper which gives you bits and pieces, but the forum's opinion on that game is polarizing...

Novelizations are a good way if you want to get a dramatic sense of the story. (AHEM AHEM JENOVA PROJECT AHEM AHEM), though obviously be wary of creative license, authors adding in their own content, etc.

Fan sites like this one also do a good job of giving you a lot of cool details.

Finally, I would recommend the GameTrailers Final Fantasy Retrospective. It only goes up to Final Fantasy XII but it's thorough and concise at the same time. It features a lot of great behind the scenes info, plot synopsises of the games, and all sorts of great features.

You can find Part I here

vaderSW1

Dark Knight of the Red Wings
>Finally, I would recommend the GameTrailers Final Fantasy Retrospective. It only goes up to Final Fantasy XII but it's thorough and concise at the same time. It features a lot of great behind the scenes info, plot synopsises of the games, and all sorts of great features.

You can find Part I here

The Game Trailers Final Fantasy Retrospective is so well done. I don't mind saying that I shed a tear the first time I watched the series. It made me feel so nostalgic for the series and reminded me why I love all things Final Fantasy. That series is something that, I think, every Final Fantasy fan should watch at least once. A lot of love went into the creation of that series.

Top Bottom