What is allowed in the politics off topic forum? Free speech vs the Regressive Left

BetaRayBill

Pro Adventurer
Can someone clear things up in regards to the rules in the politics forum...I have read the rules, many, many times but since English is not my first language then perhaps someone can interpret them for me?

Ok it might be best if I jump with two feet first, go straight into this

it seems its fine for me to bash Rightwing Christians or call out the stupid Conservative Souther Gun nuts...but when I call out the other side, that's when things really go loony here

this is what is starting to follow me around a little

What has that got do with anything in this thread? O_o

?

Is it time to ban the troll yet? Shit was only funny for about 5 seconds.

one term that seems to offend them most is "REGRESSIVE LEFTIST"....the stuff Bill Maher might talk about on his talk show...in other words a sane Leftist Liberal keeping other far-leftists in check
this offends them - HIGHLY

like I said in another thread - maybe if I started using the terms SocialJusticeWarrior or moral-relativist or maybe used the term anti-Liberal Marxist instead of say "REGRESSIVE LEFT" maybe some of you guys would not be so offended

So it seems I already caught 3 of you? I also seem to be having issue with one moderator, who shall go un-named for the moment but who would like to censor me and others here on the Final Fantasy forums

I know some of you people here get highly offended and triggered, this vid here is possibly the 'worst' thing I will be posting here that will maybe offend some of you super sensitive people
https://youtu.be/FcOEtGqDYgI
So here goes I'm not someone who is politically correct all the time, I'm not always polite and I don't walk on egg shells and tippy toe around issues...ok I can be blunt and cut to the bone.... but that does not mean I'm a Republican voter, it does not mean I'm white and it does not mean I'm a rightwinger or an American...try to wrap your head around this one guys

So once in a while I might post a vid as controversial as this

Is calling out crazy coinspiracy leftist truthers or is being critical of leftists who are anti-vaccine or leftwingers who apologise for radical islam a bannable offense?

here's something I may post

Dave Rubin's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcOEtGqDYgI
You're a Racist! You're a Bigot!
what kind of free spech is allowed here?is posting such a topic a bannable offense in politics

Last edited:

BetaRayBill

Pro Adventurer
and btw guys the term 'regressive left' has now started to trend off the charts, https: // www. google. com/trends/explore#q=neo
conservative%2C regressive left

its a term that's here to stay whether you like it or not, commentators, bloggers, actor personalities, youtube channels, news media people...everyone is now starting to talk about it

the term 'regressive leftist' is not going away

BetaRayBill

Pro Adventurer
I wonder if quoting from the Koran or Quran is causing them offense?

You do know that term is not what people take issue with in your posts, right?

what in your opinion Twilight Mexican, is causing these 3-4 people grave offense that these people now behave like social justice warrior and want my posts censored or banned?

Starling

Pro Adventurer
I'm lacking sufficient context to say what exactly people take issue with in your posts but in regards to the responses in the suggestions for improvements thread, your post had nothing to do with suggesting improvements or the discussions going on in the thread, so people were generally confused about it.

Regarding the terms you're using, people generally don't like having their beliefs addressed as labels rather than directly responding to what they're saying irrespective of where they are on the political scale, especially if said label is inaccurate. Switching to something like SJW, which is used as a negative term, won't really help. What's important in debates is that you treat others with respect, refrain from condescending behaviour and listen to what they're saying.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
wow, calm down, skippy. you sound really offended right now. maybe you're the super sensitive one

i know claiming that anyone who disagrees with you must be """TRIGGERED!!!!!LOL""" is the hip thing to do online, but i think you're ascribing a more intense emotional reaction onto people than they are actually having.

maybe if you drop the pretence that you're somehow blowing people's minds with your controversial and shocking opinions that really aren't hard to find on the internet, that might be a start. the stuff you've been posting in your 'regressive left' crusade isn't really that groundbreaking or novel

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Can we drop the BetaRayBan already? This guy is just here to troll/ cause trouble.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Can someone clear things up in regards to the rules in the politics forum...I have read the rules, many, many times but since English is not my first language then perhaps someone can interpret them for me?

Ok it might be best if I jump with two feet first, go straight into this

it seems its fine for me to bash Rightwing Christians or call out the stupid Conservative Souther Gun nuts...but when I call out the other side, that's when things really go loony here

this is what is starting to follow me around a little

Is it time to ban the troll yet? Shit was only funny for about 5 seconds.

one term that seems to offend them most is "REGRESSIVE LEFTIST"....the stuff Bill Maher might talk about on his talk show...in other words a sane Leftist Liberal keeping other far-leftists in check
this offends them - HIGHLY

like I said in another thread - maybe if I started using the terms SocialJusticeWarrior or moral-relativist or maybe used the term anti-Liberal Marxist instead of say "REGRESSIVE LEFT" maybe some of you guys would not be so offended

So it seems I already caught 3 of you? I also seem to be having issue with one moderator, who shall go un-named for the moment but who would like to censor me and others here on the Final Fantasy forums

I know some of you people here get highly offended and triggered, this vid here is possibly the 'worst' thing I will be posting here that will maybe offend some of you super sensitive people
https://youtu.be/FcOEtGqDYgI
So here goes I'm not someone who is politically correct all the time, I'm not always polite and I don't walk on egg shells and tippy toe around issues...ok I can be blunt and cut to the bone.... but that does not mean I'm a Republican voter, it does not mean I'm white and it does not mean I'm a rightwinger or an American...try to wrap your head around this one guys

So once in a while I might post a vid as controversial as this

Is calling out crazy coinspiracy leftist truthers or is being critical of leftists who are anti-vaccine or leftwingers who apologise for radical islam a bannable offense?

here's something I may post

Dave Rubin's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcOEtGqDYgI
You're a Racist! You're a Bigot!
what kind of free spech is allowed here?is posting such a topic a bannable offense in politics

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
L99k6_s-200x150.gif

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Even though I'm not aligned with the person who made this topic, I do feel that we owe it an actual discussion, if anything, rather than a train of memes and a dismissal.

With that being said, I do have to chime in here;

Conservative Southern

I am pretty familiar with the left progressive (and I'm saying this as a progressive myself) crowd to commonly, if not entirely dismiss Southern Americans as a clump or redneck retards, and yeah, that is incredibly insulting, and if this has been happening, it needs to stop.

It's very unfair to categorize millions of people (and in the case of some of us, fellow Americans) on the actions of 1. The leadership of Southern states that we may disagree with or 2. It's particularly louder (and usually older) members. For example, I could go on in further detail on how the wholesale dismissal/percetion of Southern Americans as backward retards cost Bernie Sanders the entire South this election, but I won't.

I'm a Northeast boy, born and raised, but I'd wager that many people saying these things have never even met someone from the South, and thus fail to realize that almost all of them are pretty good people trying to live a regular ass life like the rest of us, and many of even the 'bigoted' ones aren't even really that, just pressured into saying what they say because of upbringing, or if not that, just isolated, and many of their convictions can be changed with a conversation or two.

Barring that, a lot of it is just difference of opinion, and outside inherently bigoted beliefs that yeah, are objectively wrong, a lot of what leftists believe isn't objectively right, and its up for intelligent opposition and debate. Sure, I think hindsight in the future will vindicate it one way or the other, but not yet. I do agree, as a leftist myself, that the left can sometimes dangerously teeter into self righteous 'my way or the highway' territory.

So I'm not saying we're doing this, but yeah, I'm going to be the guy that calls this into attention and I will acknowledge that the 'regressive left' is a thing. A thing here? I'm not saying that, and I don't think so. But it is a thing.

Last edited:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Even though I'm not aligned with the person who made this topic, I do feel that we owe it an actual discussion, if anything, rather than a train of memes and a dismissal.

I think you're missing some context here Mog:

BetaRayBill had already made a thread about the regressive left a while ago

http://thelifestream.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18347

He was and is allowed to discuss his views. Indeed people did discuss it there, but it seems to have fizzled out due to lack of interest.

He was asked not to derail the Orlando Shooting thread several times, especially if he had actually read the thread he would have seen LGBT people expressing concern over how the homophobia element was being downplayed in favour of pushing an anti Islam agenda. Which was exactly what he was doing.

This didn't go down with several members for obvious reasons.

Anyway, if anyone does want to discuss the regressive left with BetaRayBill then they can do so.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
@ opening thrad: Personally, I feel your constant mentioning of Regressive Left and various links etc isn't really about starting or participating in a certain debate, but more about pushing an agenda of sorts; it feels like you trying to warn us about some Imminent Threat, some Thing That Is Very Important, almost like you're trying to warn us about something like chemtrails or a cult forming in the louisiana swamps worshipping an eldritch being that should not be.

I'll admit most people on TLS lean to the left of the political spectrum and those that lean to the right (esp. far right) will have their opinion dismissed or at least debated against by half a dozen people (sorry Flare <3), but don't mistake that for extreme-leftism or what-have-you. I'm sure most of us can recognise SJW's and their agendas, doublespeak, hypocrisy, etc. And it's not an issue on TLS at this time. I'd prefer to keep it that way.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog

I think you're missing some context here Mog:

BetaRayBill had already made a thread about the regressive left a while ago

http://thelifestream.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18347

He was and is allowed to discuss his views. Indeed people did discuss it there, but it seems to have fizzled out due to lack of interest.

He was asked not to derail the Orlando Shooting thread several times, especially if he had actually read the thread he would have seen LGBT people expressing concern over how the homophobia element was being downplayed in favour of pushing an anti Islam agenda. Which was exactly what he was doing.

This didn't go down with several members for obvious reasons.

Anyway, if anyone does want to discuss the regressive left with BetaRayBill then they can do so.

Like I said, I'm not agreeing or aligned with what I know the topic creator did, but I did see an opportunity to discuss something that I think 'is a thing', even if not here so much.

With that being said, I was/am a little annoyed with the topic being buried in memes, if a topic is created here, it should at least be taken seriously or addressed, locked and discarded right off. I don't think it's a good look to tolerate a bunch of dumb memes in the Feedback forum, but that's just me.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
With that being said, I was/am a little annoyed with the topic being buried in memes, if a topic is created here, it should at least be taken seriously or addressed, locked and discarded right off. I don't think it's a good look to tolerate a bunch of dumb memes in the Feedback forum, but that's just me.

As far as My gif goes : TBH I read his post like 4 times and couldn't figure out if he was serious , trolling or having a stroke. Figuring it was gonna get locked I just tossed in a meme thinking it would get ninja'd in before the lock :monster:

Silly thing to assume and do but that's what it was. Honestly though I've read that OP several times and still struggle to figure out how you were able to create meaningful discussion from it. It's actually pretty impressive.

That said regarding your well put first post Mog as a bit of annecdotal evidence for your point. I'm from the South , specifically the south most part of the US the Rio Grande Valley in Texas. Tons of rednecks here xD

How ever not once has anyone on this forum ever dismissed my points or made me feel that way due to my geolocation. I don't think that's actually a problem here thankfully :reptar:

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Dreamer us right. The least people can do is give a serious response to people instead of just memes. Hostile, condescending and/or antagonistic responses don't foster an environment where people feel welcome to off feedback. Bill asked a question and the least people can do is actually answer it.

Splintered

unsavory tart
Hostile, condescending and/or antagonistic responses don't foster an environment where people feel welcome to off feedback.
To be fair, from what I gathered, he went in kind of antagonistic, and this thread was built off the momentum of the Orlando shooting, where there's a lot of emotional responses.

I get the basis of what he's saying, but I also think that part of this is a potshot of the reaction in that thread.

Yeah, the "regressive left" can be a thing, but I'm not so sure it's something here, at least not to the extent that necessitates a comment like, "DID I TRIGGER YOU IN YOUR SAFE SPACE" when I don't think anybody uses words like that here. Anyway, we've seen from another member no longer here that people from the left DO get called out from time to time.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Hostile, condescending and/or antagonistic responses don't foster an environment where people feel welcome to off feedback.
To be fair, from what I gathered, he went in kind of antagonistic, and this thread was built off the momentum of the Orlando shooting, where there's a lot of emotional responses.

I get the basis of what he's saying, but I also think that part of this is a potshot of the reaction in that thread.

Yeah, the "regressive left" can be a thing, but I'm not so sure it's something here, at least not to the extent that necessitates a comment like, "DID I TRIGGER YOU IN YOUR SAFE SPACE" when I don't think anybody uses words like that here. Anyway, we've seen from another member no longer here that people from the left DO get called out from time to time.

In addition to that momentum it was also preceded by a few really irrelevant and weird posts in the Suggestions thread.
As far as context goes this thread was primed for being an easy call out for trolling tbh.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Taking the time to say he's being antagonistic and explaining why is still better than filling the thread with memes. At least then he knows what not to do next time. It also makes the feedback section more welcoming.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I'm sure backseat moderating is equally as helpful :reptar:

Not to mention Mog managed to bring the topic back to a meaningful place till you decided to basically repeat what he said with slightly different words. Your posts so far are equally as useless (and rather passive aggressive) as our meme posts.

But carry on.

As far as the topic at hand is concerned though I agree with the notion that I don't think TLS is on that hyper Tumblr safe space level yet. If that was BRB was trying to imply I'm glad to know and confirm it's not true.

Personally I think I'd lose my mind and probably leave the community if it became like that tbh :monster:

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
I only remember really getting into some of the "crazy left" with you know who and it wasn't so much his politics as his general attitude (we didn't hit it off and, to be fair, when I started here I was kind of an insufferable right-winger myself with my own batch of attitude problems),

I think it's ludicrous for somebody to come out of the blue and say that the forums are a home for the tumblristas just because we didn't care to waste our time continually arguing with troll-worthy, out of context posts. I fully support the people who chose to post memes rather than saying something directly offensive as I consider it a moderate response, though kudos to Mog for polishing a turd into a decent conversation. :monster:

Edit: Yes the board clearly has a left leaning, but while debate can get heated and passionate it is still one of the most respectful communities I've ever belonged to.

Top Bottom