• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Unpopular opinions: the survey

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
It's been over a week since I put up this thread on unpopular Final Fantasy opinions, which has gotten a whole lot of responses already. Since it's difficult to work out which opinions actually are unpopular and which aren't, I've taken all the opinions shared so far and stuck them in a Google Form. I have three reasons for using this rather than our forum's built-in poll function: one, the sheer number of opinions; two, Google lets me have multiple-choice responses; and three, I may want to eventually publish this on our front page, social media, etc.

Link: The Lifestream's unpopular Final Fantasy opinions survey

Once you've submitted the form, you'll be able to see how other people have responded. Since it's a forum-exclusive link for the time being, you'll get an idea of how the Lifestream community feels on all the opinions contained within.

You're welcome to keep posting in the actual opinions thread, but I won't be adding anything more to the poll. Use this thread to discuss the poll itself: your predictions, how you voted, the results, and anything else you can think of. :)

Edit: this view isn't great but I can't change it. Instead, I can draw up a graph manually once we've collected a decent number of responses. In the meantime you can hover over any of the labels to see them in full.

6H8c.png

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I'm missing a "no opinion" option, for those (like me) that haven't played or have forgotten all about, e.g., FF 2 :monster:

Lex

Administrator
If you haven't done so already, you should post this to the Final Fantasy subreddit. It'd probably get a lot of responses on there.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I may want to eventually publish this on our front page, social media, etc.

Since it's a forum-exclusive link for the time being, you'll get an idea of how the Lifestream community feels on all the opinions contained within.

Essentially, once I'm satisfied that most people from here who want to answer have done so, I'll take a snapshot of the current results and then publicise it more widely.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
WoW, didn't know this site had such negative perception of X & VII being connected.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Ranked likes and dislikes and ranked statements for your viewing pleasure. They auto-update when the form gets new responses.

Popularity = likes - dislikes
Strength of feeling = likes + dislikes - mixed
Divisiveness = (2 * min(likes, dislikes)) - mixed

Replace "likes" with "agreements" and "dislikes" with "disagreements" where appropriate.

All three scores are subsequently normalised to a 0-100 scale, weighted by the number of responses, so something with 0 likes and 5 dislikes will score higher on the popularity scale than something with 0 likes and 10 dislikes, for example.

Last edited:

demonwolf

Pro Adventurer
You lost me at the equation for divisiveness.:rclosedmonster: Thanks for arranging the survey Flintlock-san!

Can't believe there's an opinion more unpopular than TifaxRufus. Gdi. I thought I had this in the bag.

Last edited:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
No problem. And yeah, it took me a while to come up with it that last equation. Basically, something scores highly for divisiveness if it has roughly the same number of likes and dislikes and relatively few mixed opinions.

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
Oh how interesting it is to see how many complete and total strangers I am surrounded by on a daily basis. :monster:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I changed the divisiveness formula a little. Before it had a default value of 0, whereas now it's 50, the same as the other two formulae. The new formula is: (2 * min(likes, dislikes)) - |likes - dislikes| - mixed. This has also changed the rankings a little.

Last edited:

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
When you said "FFX has a superficial story"... was that a joke? :monster:

And Tidus being a "realistic protagonist"...?

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Who is ridiculing them? And where does it say that they're your opinions? And there was a warning in the other thread, not from the very beginning but a few days before I put the survey up. You could have said something then if you didn't want them included and I would have happily obliged.

Fangu

Great Old One
Sorry for the late reply.

You mean this post? Fair nuf, you did warn. But that was about 4 pages into the thread and I happened to skip that post. Also it said nothing about posting to Reddit and stuff, which kind of threw me off for a bit. Not that Reddit's anything particular, but suddenly we're talking taking something that was rant between friends (as I saw it) and presenting it systematically outside TLS.

My angle was: I posted in that thread thinking it'd be a fun way to vent your opinions between friends in a way that, if liked, they'd get Thanks, and if not, well, someone might reply, but most likely not. That being said, the statement 'Serah is a better version of Yuna' means nothing out of context, and I'd rather people reply somewhere where I'd be able to explain, rather than seeing a huge bar of disagreement on a poll.

That being said, I should be proud, I guess, for having some of the most unpopular opinions :monster:

Anyway, blah blah, I'm being too sensitive, I know that, anxious people hate surprises, we want to know what we're getting into before getting into it. BUT for what it's worth... if the initial idea of creating a thread is to front page it (I'm not saying it was, BUT if it was), it'd be nice for that to be mentioned up front. I'd guess your take on this forum is that anything posted here is up for grabs, and I guess that's fair, but, and this is just me; when asking for contributions for articles, I'd still want to know if my stuff is going to end up on the front page, and especially if my handle is going to show up on other sites on the Internet. (Generally speaking, as no names were attached to poll). Then I'd at least know to polish my stuff more, and not put it down as 'harr de harr Yuni is a st00pid Mary Sue lol' :monster:

I hope that makes sense.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I understand. It wasn't my initial idea to make a big thing out of it; it was just something I came up with later.

As of yet, it hasn't been shared anywhere outside this thread. If I do front page it, I can remove any opinions people don't want to be there, no problem at all.

Fangu

Great Old One
As for myself: Nah keep them in there, I'd feel (even more than I already do for that little tantrum) stupid if they were taken out. They're just some opinions anyway :)

Top Bottom