Crisis Core Model Ripping (spoilers, obviously)

Superespresso

The big lad
So I've been ripping the crisis core models for a few days now just for shiggles. Initially I just did it to look for some models to practice remastering on, but after starting to go through all the files I realized there's a lot more here than I initially thought. Unused assets, used assets, entire levels.. everything.

So my first post that mentions this is quoted below and includes the Emerald Weapon shots from the Banora Underground:

I ripped the level of Crisis Core where you can see emerald weapon, just to get a better look at it. They didn't model the whole body so it's a bit of a bust, but I was able to delete the assets surrounding it for a better view. Warning: Lazy modeling.

tumblr_ojywz0tzWR1r6h243o3_540.png

So this is about your perspective in the game if I remember it right. Been a long time so it's probably further back. I deleted the sky-dome since it was very dark, and the lighting was engine-only, so here's a flat shade look at it a little more close-up.

tumblr_ojywz0tzWR1r6h243o1_1280.png

tumblr_ojywz0tzWR1r6h243o2_1280.png

As I said, some pretty lazy modeling but it's the best in the game.

Edit:
I have every single model in the game if anyone needs anything specific. Can't promise I'll re-uv it for you, but if you know what you want I'd be happy to rip an OBJ/FBX or take pictures.

Following that, I realized there's a lot in the Banora underground you can't really see or get to due to it being so dark. In my search I found out there's two versions of the goddess statue. One looks like an unused asset.

tumblr_inline_ojzwxgbPwa1r33dl7_540.png

This one is built into the level. It's there, it's solid, and it's the one that appears during the final fight with Genesis. In this picture the goddess was designed to look matronly. She's a little thicker, wears a shawl over her head and body, and has her hands held up with nothing in them (kind of hard to tell but I did a couple fly-arounds to make sure)

tumblr_inline_ojzwzbe7wf1r33dl7_540.png

This is the unused asset of the same type. It doesn't appear in the game at all from what I can tell and looks to be more closely modeled after her actual appearance. I'll just quote what I wrote on Tumblr about it.

This is the unused one. She’s holding an apple and her hair is tied into a bun with a crown of sorts on her head. Her robes are more patterned. This seems to be a mid-res model. She’s thinner, and seems to be more close to the actual diety than the first one. I went back to look around. This one never appears in-game. Close up of her face and what she’s holding. Pretty useless information but very neat.

tumblr_inline_ojzx1psOuU1r33dl7_540.png

Thought this might be something y'all would like.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
If I remember correctly, the statue was changed for releases outside Japan due to concerns that the original's resemblance to the Virgin Mary may be offensive to some.

Here's a comparison video:

Which program(s) are you using to view the model data Superespresso? I can't quite tell if you are using Noesis or not.

The JP "Virgin Mary" model exists in every version of the game, though in the US and PAL release *most* files have switched the original model with the one that can't be confused with Virgin Mary.

Here are the relevant file numbers for each version when you want to view this model.

JP:
2175, 2236, 2239, 2521

US:
2093, 2154, 2157, 2439

PAL:
2101, 2162, 2165, 2447​

The first three numbers are entire maps with the Goddess Statue inside them, while the fourth number is the Goddess Statue as a single object, no map attached.

While the model- and map numbers differ between versions, we know which ones correspond to each other. Just draw number columns from the list above.

JP = US = PAL
2175 = 2093 = 2101
2236 = 2154 = 2162
2239 = 2157 = 2165
2521 = 2439 = 2447​

In US/PAL, it is the map file 2157/2165 which still contains the Virgin Mary version of the Goddess Statue.

Multiple maps for different stages of the final confrontation with Genesis are used and it is unclear if map file 2157/2165 is ever visited in the English game. Even if the map is visited however, you never get to spot the JP Goddess Statue. If you could, that would seriously contradict all the other scenes in the game with the new statue in it. :monster:

While on the topic of assets which may or may not be unused... There is a portion of the game's models which come in two forms: High resolution versus low resolution. The low resolution versions have lower quality textures and a lower polygon count. Here is an example.

ldTAdhc.png
GWNM4DM.png

I am yet to survey Crisis Core extensively enough to confirm which model versions are clearly visible to normal players, but I just wish to comment on the possibility that some of these low-res models are used.

In Super Mario 64, when the camera is far away enough, Mario's moving model will be replaced with a low-poly version so to save on processing power. It is possible that the same trick is employed in Crisis Core, with models far away from the camera being replaced by their low-poly counterparts and the player not being able to spot the difference because of the relatively small PSP screen. More research is needed to actually confirm what the deal is with all these dozens of lower-poly models in Crisis Core.

EDIT: Wutai Soldiers solved

Last edited:

Superespresso

The big lad
While on the topic of assets which may or may not be unused... There is a portion of the game's models which come in two forms: High resolution versus low resolution. The low resolution versions have lower quality textures and a lower polygon count. Here is an example.

ldTAdhc.png
GWNM4DM.png

I am yet to survey Crisis Core extensively enough to confirm which model versions are clearly visible to normal players, but I just wish to comment on the possibility that some of these low-res models are used.

In Super Mario 64, when the camera is far away enough, Mario's moving model will be replaced with a low-poly version so to save on processing power. It is possible that the same trick is employed in Crisis Core, with models far away from the camera being replaced by their low-poly counterparts and the player not being able to spot the difference because of the relatively small PSP screen. More research is needed to actually confirm what the deal is with all these dozens of lower-poly models in Crisis Core.

From what I've noticed, the mid-res models are really only used in cutscenes. In fights or action sequences, they tend to switch to the low poly since there's no need for mouth bag or eye loop working. Even Zack's model is used in Low Res for the majority of the time you're playing as him.

That was easier than expected to confirm. I just did the Mt. Tamblin and Fort Tamblin scenario. The low-res models were only used for when you are first trying to get inside the fortress, which is an area that renders more Wutai soldiers at one time than any other part of the game.

Low-res models at the entrance:
- 1, 2, 3

I can only think of the low-poly models being used for the fort entrance because of the sheer number of soldiers being rendered. Remember how most of the infantrymen during Zack's final battle are merely 2D-cutouts? Clearly the software had trouble rendering dozens of models at the same time.

No matter if it was a cutscene or a battle, the hi-res models were used for the Wutai soldiers at Mt. Tamblin and inside Fort Tamblin but NOT at the fort's entrance.

There are still many other low-res models to account for if they are used or not, such as a dozen or so low-poly NPCs.

From what I've noticed, the mid-res models are really only used in cutscenes. In fights or action sequences, they tend to switch to the low poly since there's no need for mouth bag or eye loop working. Even Zack's model is used in Low Res for the majority of the time you're playing as him.
This is true. Like Superespresso says, some models come in two forms: One with a low-poly face and one with a hi-poly face, the latter allowing for those lovely facial animations in cutscenes.

The previously assessed Wutai Soldier models don't really do facial animations, and the difference in 3D model quality between the two is far greater than what you have between the low/mid-res Zack and advanced-hi-poly-facial-animation Zack.

Top Bottom