• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

AC(C) limited edition movie script -- Does it say anything about Limit-Breaks?

Wolfmania

Saint of Killers
Yahallo to all.

I was wondering if anyone here had gotten their hands on this resource and had any idea if the script makes any detail of whether or not the characters were using Limit-Breaks in the movie.

I ask this because in things like Tifa's fight she appears to be using several of them, but lacks that distinct aura that is mostly consistent for Cloud during the movie.

I'd like to know for sure whether Cloud was the only character actually using Limits in the movie like the aura would imply?

Thanks for reading and considering!

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
The character's limit breaks are preceded not by an aura but a kind of static shock. Tifa uses her combo limit break(s) in the church after Loz's first hit. The camera focuses on her hand as lightning wraps around it briefly -- this is the AC re-imagining of the limit break aura. Barret joins the fight using Ungarmax (note that his gun flickers with that green lightning) and also uses Big Shot and Mind Blow. Nanaki uses Sled Fang and Cid uses Boost Jump - both hits are accompanied by a blast of that lightning.

Last edited:

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I don't really think they wrote AC all that concerned with the exact mechanics of limits breaks. They just used the familiar abilities where appropriate with enough of a visual nod to make the scenario recognizable. Advent Children is a movie that puts a lot of emphasis on blue, green, and grey color scehemes, so they changed the aesthetics of the Limit Break to match.

They've gone right back to firey-orange/gold auras again if the Remake Trailer is anything to go by.

I, too, have been wondering if there is an official script that refers to this-and-that limit break by name, since I seem to find especially the FF wiki referencing limits by name when talking about Advent Children. But I'm not curious enough to look it up myself. Waiting for somebody who actually owns the scripts and/or who can read the Japanese guide books to confirm the matter. :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I own the script, I can check tonight. I don't specifically remember limit names. But I did always think it was interesting that it says the explosion Loz and Yazoo trigger at the end is described as something like "Flare, Comet, and other explosive spells"

Wolfmania

Saint of Killers
Firstly, I'd like to thank all you guys for contributing to this thread. Yey knowledge.

As Ramza noted, I'm also pretty sure the pale-green electricity aura circling Tifa's hand was due to just moments before being hit by Loz's Dual Hound, which emanated that shock.

And while I think that they were using Limits, like Shademp said, I see them mentioning limits like Cross-Slash and Meteorain, and I'd like to know if those are inferences or just really direct statements.
Personally I think they would have given people other than Cloud some kind of aura (though not the same as Cloud's) if it were not for budget and animation restraints, but I'd just like some solid proof either way to know for sure. I'd imagine unrestrained animation to look alot like Dissidia combat, especially when you consider how Cloud's Finishing Touch (which is also another inference) looked in the movie.

Ramza said:
I own the script, I can check tonight. I don't specifically remember limit names. But I did always think it was interesting that it says the explosion Loz and Yazoo trigger at the end is described as something like "Flare, Comet, and other explosive spells"

Oh, I'd me most thankful if could graciously look for anything that might indicate to a conclusion. And you're right, that is pretty interesting, the notion that it was multiple explosive spells used at once.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Okay, so looking at my copy of the script, it does not mention any limit breaks by name. Even Omnislash v. 5 is just called "Cloud's ultimate attack." The battle scenes usually say "See storyboards," which maybe does, but otherwise it just looks like:

16. Tifa 01:22:44:18 01:23:05:22 STRING OF AD LIBS:
-Dash and slide in
-Big punch
-Big flying kick
-Flying kicks x 2
-Connecting with Loz
-Rejection/losing balance
-Taking hit from kick, but standing ground
-Closeup of enraged face
-Dodging powerful punching attack
-Dodging Loz's hand
-Dancing in for an attack
-Grabbing his neck
-Stepping on Loz and launching into the air

I made sure to check Cloud using Blade Beam in the Forgotten City as that's one of the more obvious ones, but it just says

repels bullets ->notices [Loz's ground-punching attack] -> counterattack (when the sword shines)

Also interesting I had forgotten about some of the subtle differences. Not any in dialogue that I've noticed but some of the events. For example, when Kadaj beats Cloud in the Forgotten City and Cloud loses his phone. According to the script Cloud hesitates after launching at Kadaj because Denzel jumps in between them, at which Kadaj smiles and fires his gun which blows Cloud back which is...not how that happens, haha.

Also, when the water comes out from beneath the flower bed, it says Cloud sees Aerith's figure through the misty spray, but in the movie we only hear her.

Another interesting one is at the start of the Sephiroth fight. After you see flashes of Aerith-related things and Marlene asks "is it her?" The script says:

The fight continues in the great storms born of the miasma. Cloud vs Sephiroth, continued.

In the midst of the battle, Cloud glances earthward and sees Midgar. White Lifestream weaves betwixt the black Lifestream, and former is cleansed by the latter, Cloud smiles.

(And then the part where Cloud gets hit into the building by Sephiroth.) This is kinda interesting, showing Aerith actively fighting Sephiroth at the same time that Cloud is.

Iiiiinteresting.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Another interesting one is at the start of the Sephiroth fight. After you see flashes of Aerith-related things and Marlene asks "is it her?" The script says:

The fight continues in the great storms born of the miasma. Cloud vs Sephiroth, continued.

In the midst of the battle, Cloud glances earthward and sees Midgar. White Lifestream weaves betwixt the black Lifestream, and former is cleansed by the latter, Cloud smiles.

(And then the part where Cloud gets hit into the building by Sephiroth.) This is kinda interesting, showing Aerith actively fighting Sephiroth at the same time that Cloud is.

Iiiiinteresting.

I have the script too (didn't even notice this thread :wacky:), and that paragraph was one I thought interesting as well, like a cut scene that was originally planned. I like the idea that during their fight, you could also see Sephiroth losing the battle via the happenings with the Lifestream below them.

Like, if you just watch Sephiroth and Cloud fight, Sephiroth kicks his ass until the very end and it's all very dark until the end. If however you saw a scene of the Lifestream being purified during this fight that Cloud seems to be losing, it would've probably given you a sense of hope, that the planet/Aerith is helping and fighting Sephiroth as well.

Okay I'm meandering and stuff, carry on :monster:

Wolfmania

Saint of Killers
I have to say I absolutely did not expect the script to have those unused concepts in it. They both stand in unexpected contrast to the movie, but I like both of the ideas.

Okay, so looking at my copy of the script, it does not mention any limit breaks by name. Even Omnislash v. 5 is just called "Cloud's ultimate attack." The battle scenes usually say "See storyboards," which maybe does, but otherwise it just looks like:

Gosh, that makes it tricky for me to decide :(

On the one hand it's not an indictment that anyone else was using Limits but I also can't rule out the idea since the script clearly did not even name Limits Cloud certainly used.

Would you mind me bothering you for three more instances? Specifically, the supposed instances where the FFwiki says Cloud used Meteorain, Finishing Touch and Cross-Slash.

Alledged Cross-Slash vs Loz&Yazoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRl7EVCTfJU&t=226s

Alledged Finishing Touch vs Kadaj

https://youtu.be/NRl7EVCTfJU?t=4m28s

Alledged Meteorain vs Sephiroth

https://youtu.be/NRl7EVCTfJU?t=4m21s

Either way, massive thanks for going out of your way to help my curiosity here. I'm not sure if I now can be sure the other characters were using Limits, but maybe some light can be shed on Cloud's moves at least.

ForceStealer

Double Growth

18 Cloud 02:05:22:29 02:05:43:17 (bike lands -> takes multiple hits -> locks weapons with Loz -> notices -> three-way weapon lock -> shakes Loz and Yazoo away)

Alledged Finishing Touch vs Kadaj

https://youtu.be/NRl7EVCTfJU?t=4m28s

This one sounds to be a little different in the script all the way around. Starting after the Shera flies away:

--
1. Cloud 02123722 02125510 (holds on to sword -> lands)

2. Kadaj 02124407 02125405 (crosses blades in midar -> releases)

3. Kadaj 02125803 02132504 (close up of face -> notices Cloud)

4. Cloud 02130617 02131214 (readies sword -> slashes at Kadaj)

5. Kadaj 02132913 02134216 (looks at Cloud's face -> catches Jenova)

Cloud corners Kadaj, who flashes a cold smile. When Cloud tries to attack Kadaj again, Kadaj holds up Jenova's head in front of him.

6. Cloud 02133523 02133613 (strikes Jenova's head)

7. Cloud 02134402 02134416 (noticing)

8. Kadaj 02135110 02135505 My Reunion...bet you're dying to watch.
--

So that seems to go down differently, the "readies sword -> slashes at Kadaj" would appear to be the moment the Finishing Touch is alleged. I've mostly understood that supposition to be that you don't actually hear Cloud striking Kadaj or his sword, just a "woosh," and basically ejecting Kadaj from the battle just like Finishing Touch does.

This also sounds a bit different in the script, as it doesn't make mention of being inside a building (though does say that Sephiroth slices through computers), or Cloud pushing Sephiroth through the wall after saying "I'm not about to tell you!" Instead it just follows that with:

--
Sephiroth sneers and flashes a bewitching smile. The battle continues on (see storyboard for details)

14. Cloud 021639902 02164011 (swings sword)

15. Cloud 02164207 02171405 (jumps -> leaps after Sephiroth)

16. Sephiroth 02170619 02170821 (swings sword x 2, dodges)

17. Sephiroth 02170619 02170821 (charges with blade -> laugh when returning to stance)
--

So it doesn't actually say anything about Cloud doing a jumping attack. But I also never considered that Meteorain. I always thought it was another Blade Beam (Maybe Braver/Blade Beam hybrid), just like the beam would split to hit all enemies in FF7, I figured Cloud spread the beam to increase his chances of a hit.

I would say though that most of the moves that do resemble limit breaks are supposed to. Whether or not the script specifically says so, or whether they glow first. Tifa's limits were always supposed to be a fast combo, so that makes sense. And I did always think Yuffie used Greased Lightning on Bahamut Shin because there seemed to be an effect on her shuriken (but not where that youtube video says she does). And in AC Complete Cloud unquestioningly uses the old Omnislash before unleashing the new one. X-SOLDIER did a comparison somewhere on here that matches up the each of the slashes.

Last edited:
For example, when Kadaj beats Cloud in the Forgotten City and Cloud loses his phone. According to the script Cloud hesitates after launching at Kadaj because Denzel jumps in between them, at which Kadaj smiles and fires his gun which blows Cloud back which is...not how that happens, haha.
*drools at these and the other unused scene variations*

Thanks for sharing your observations Force!

Wolfmania

Saint of Killers
I would say though that most of the moves that do resemble limit breaks are supposed to. Whether or not the script specifically says so, or whether they glow first. Tifa's limits were always supposed to be a fast combo, so that makes sense. And I did always think Yuffie used Greased Lightning on Bahamut Shin because there seemed to be an effect on her shuriken (but not where that youtube video says she does). And in AC Complete Cloud unquestioningly uses the old Omnislash before unleashing the new one. X-SOLDIER did a comparison somewhere on here that matches up the each of the slashes.

Yeah, I definitely agree with that logic, I guess I just wished all this stuff was like neat and tidy and very easy to identify.

Thanks for sharing :)

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
And in AC Complete Cloud unquestioningly uses the old Omnislash before unleashing the new one. X-SOLDIER did a comparison somewhere on here that matches up the each of the slashes.

Man, it's awesome that you remembered my speculation and commentary about that from almost eight years ago (so old that the YouTube videos I used to compare them are long gone now) – especially because my own memory is so excellent that I'd totally forgotten ever doing that until I looked it up after reading your comment. (Which is sort of the case with far more things than I'd like to admit). :awesomonster:

X :neo:

Top Bottom