FFXV *spoilers*

Hello everyone, haven't posted on here for a while and I hope everyone is ok 😌.

I have done a lot of research and can't find any definitive answers so I thought I'd come on here and ask. So here goes:

Was Ardyn a king? A lot of people say no that he was just a healer but Ardyn had the power of kings.

Was he the first chosen king of light? Then because he absorbed the demons within him he was then rejected by the crystal and astrals.

Why did everyone including the astrals turn against him? After all he was healing the people not from what we are told he didn't do anything bad.

Who was in control Ardyn or Ifrit? A lot of people claim that Ifrit was in control over Ardyn, I did not get hat impression but could be wrong.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I think Ardyn was a mixture of the two, and despite having saved the world, he did it in his own way rather than sacrificing himself like he was meant to do like Noctis had done. And due to having Daemons inside him, thus, granting him the power to control them and such, Noct's ancestor feared it would be used against many innocent people and the Astrals and the Crystal I think agreed with him, so they kicked Ardyn out and instead chose Noctis' ancestor as a replacement, if I'm right.

Not only that, since Ardyn was made immortal, he wasn't allowed to marry and have children due to the fact that he would live forever unless the next chosen, the True King, killed him. So he wanted to die, and wanted revenge at the same time, and in the end got both, but then ceased to exist all by Noctis and the Lucii.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
The English script isn't entirely clear on the "Was he a king?" question, but the Japanese text fortunately is. I actually just covered this in the chapter-by-chapter lore exposition section of the FFXV lore archive I just finished up:

----
When Bahamut describes Ardyn with "One so impure of body and soul was deemed unworthy of the Crystal’s Light, and forbidden to ascend," by "ascend" he means "become king." This turn of phrasing for the English localization, while elegant, is confusing, coming as it does right after "A man cursed with life eternal, whose immortality stems from the selfsame scourge that wrought the daemons."

The reasonable implication to take from "deemed unworthy of the Crystal's light, and forbidden to ascend" is that it ties directly to Ardyn becoming "cursed with life eternal." In other words, that Ardyn cannot die and "ascend" because he became "one so impure of body and soul" that the Crystal rejects his soul returning to itself, the soul of the planet.

This understanding, while the reasonable conclusion to be drawn, is an unfortunate misunderstanding encouraged by the wording chosen here for the localization. What Bahamut actually says in Japanese is その汚れた身体を聖石に拒まれ王位に就くことなく葬られた愚かな男. A more direct translation of this would be "A foolish man who was rejected by the Holy Stone for that unclean body and was buried without ascending to the throne."

Ardyn's immortality, meanwhile, is a result of the Starscourge itself rather than due to the Crystal's rejection of him for absorbing the Starscourge.
----

As for why Ardyn fell out of favor with the Crystal, I think Tashasaurous is correct that he was trying to avoid dying the way Noctis had to, so he went about trying to defeat the scourge by absorbing it. He probably thought it was good enough and the Crystal disagreed.

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
To become the King of Light, one must have a pure heart and soul and absorbing demonic energy would corrupt that person.

I'm guessing he thought that he could rid the world of the starcourge if he absorbed it all himself. Then the crystal saw him as unlean and unfit, and rejected him. The king of light cannot be full of darkness.

The crystal must look for light in the person's heart, as Noctis helped a lot of people out without having to on his journey, which will have made his light strong. It seems like Ardyn didn't want to help with minor things, just wanted to look good by getting rid of the starscourge.

Thank you for your replies everyone. I understood that he was the first chosen king of light but what I mean is was he actually a king of Lucis? Like Regis for example. I have been told that Insomnia wasn't around during before his fall from grace. But I'm assuming he was a king? And in the cosmogony books is that Ardyn in the pictures of the king?

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
No, he was just in the running for it I think. The other guy became King instead because he was accepted by the crystal.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
To become the King of Light, one must have a pure heart and soul and absorbing demonic energy would corrupt that person.

I'm guessing he thought that he could rid the world of the starcourge if he absorbed it all himself. Then the crystal saw him as unlean and unfit, and rejected him. The king of light cannot be full of darkness.

The crystal must look for light in the person's heart, as Noctis helped a lot of people out without having to on his journey, which will have made his light strong. It seems like Ardyn didn't want to help with minor things, just wanted to look good by getting rid of the starscourge.
While possibly true, I don't think there is anything available in canon to verify this. Noct, after all, was just five years old when the Crystal chose him, and so was hardly a tried and tested man of principle.
Thank you for your replies everyone. I understood that he was the first chosen king of light but what I mean is was he actually a king of Lucis? Like Regis for example. I have been told that Insomnia wasn't around during before his fall from grace. But I'm assuming he was a king? And in the cosmogony books is that Ardyn in the pictures of the king?
This is answered in my post above. Ardyn never got to ascend to the throne.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie

While possibly true, I don't think there is anything available in canon to verify this. Noct, after all, was just five years old when the Crystal chose him, and so was hardly a tried and tested man of principle.
This is answered in my post above. Ardyn never got to ascend to the throne.

I think it pretty much answered the question in general. Or maybe they decided to erase him from memory so that only Noct would be able to know this. After all, he did change his last name.

Top Bottom