God of War: Ragnarok

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy

Regular PS4: said:
there is the base PlayStation 4, which is capped at 30fps and here, the level of performance is remarkably like the PS4 Pro with the higher resolution option engaged. Frame-rates generally hold steady at 30fps but there are dips in performance during specific sequences, which does reduce fluidity.

PS4 Pro Resolution Mode: said:
When using checkerboard 4K mode, the game does a reasonably good job of holding steady at 30 frames per second in most scenes, with even intense battles that pile on the visual effects sticking mostly to the target frame-rate with only small pockets of dropped frames. It's not quite perfect though, and some effects-heavy scene will see performance drop. Thankfully, this is more of an exception than the rule and most of the game delivers a stable 30 frames per second, but it's not a perfect lock.

PS4 Pro Performance Mode: said:
What this mode basically delivers is something more in line with, say, God of War 3 or Ascension on PlayStation 3. The frame-rate averages in the mid to upper 40s most of the time during any skirmish while some of the quieter moments can jump up to or around 60fps.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Track titles like Kratos And Son Have a Dank Tea Party With the Stuffed Animals? The Talk about the Birds and the Bees? :awesome:

Son, when a man and two women love each other very much, they express that love through shaking a vase until red orbs explode out of them. And that's where you came from.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
There's already a bunch of videos showing cutscenes of the game and one channel is uploading playthrought of the game (currently the first two hours)

Ghost X

If the whole game is as good as the first hour I'm watching, "I'm very impressed" is an understatement :monster:.

I hope youtube doesn't decide to spoil me with related videos with spoilers in the title/thumbnail. It loves to do that, and I'm going into this having only watched the first trailer, and that short combat "trailer".

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I hope youtube doesn't decide to spoil me with related videos with spoilers in the title/thumbnail. It loves to do that, and I'm going into this having only watched the first trailer, and that short combat "trailer".

A lot of people reporting exactly that happening.

I use a Video Blocker extension to blacklist shit because of that :monster:

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Another thing you can do is clean your search history, not sure how much it will help but watching videos unrelated to GoW or gaming should change the algoritms to show you something else on your feed.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X

One of those moments that happens with pretty much every game, but you hardly ever see. I can't imagine how that feels after 5 years on something like this.

X :neo:

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
Been playing this since around 6am it's absolutely astounding. There has been several moments where I've missed genuine combat because I couldn't tell the difference between that and the cutscenes.

Strong opening. Having a lil difficulty getting used to the combat style tho, and having an awareness of enemies, even with the arrows pointing them out.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I've not played it, but, I've seen the videos; the original GoW games had a much farther away point of view so you could keep a clearer overview and such.

Once I started to really unlock the combat options, the awareness issue I had wasn't really a problem anymore. They give you a good number of stuff to handle things.

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
It does take an awful lot of experience to get a good start at building your skillset.
Though I like that it seriously rewards you for taking the time out to hunt down artifacts etc for gold which in turn allows you to upgrade your gear.

I heard this reviewed on Radio 4's highbrow arts review program. They were talking about the strength of the characterisation and the thematic depth of the game.

I would play it if I ever had time for games any more. Or a Playstation.

Lex

Administrator
It's reviewing incredibly well everywhere. I wasn't interested in it until the Easy Allies review, and now I'm definitely going to get it. I mean, the trailers looked great but I've played all the previous God of War games and while they're fun, I've changed my mindset enough in the past ten years to be unable to overlook the grossness of Kratos as a character/ all the shit that happens to other people in the early games. It's all very 14 year old edgelord material. That said, by all accounts this is a more intelligent, well written/ emotional experience so I decided I'm in.

I'm getting a new TV on Wednesday so I'm buying a copy of this along with it to experience it in its full glory. I also have Thursday and Friday off, so count on me sharing my experience with the game towards the end of the week :D

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
The dad in me has been screaming at kratos to just give his son a hug for a few hours now XD
That said it's nice seeing a softer side to him and the digital comic that accompanied the game was good also as it showed kratos doesn't want to be who he once was and let his anger control him.

Ghost X

I'm up to just after where Kratos reveals to his son they are gods, etc. Wasn't expecting those throwy chain blade things to make a return, but there you go. Only criticism I have of the game so far is the repeated re-skinned minor enemies. Never liked them in games :P.

The dad in me has been screaming at kratos to just give his son a hug for a few hours now XD
That said it's nice seeing a softer side to him and the digital comic that accompanied the game was good also as it showed kratos doesn't want to be who he once was and let his anger control him.

Every time he reaches his arm out to comfort him but pulls away makes me internally cry.
That comes across very well at the very beginning of the game, when
the wraps covering where the blades of chaos come loose, and he just looks at them with sadness, and shame. Then when his son shows up, he turns to hide it from him.
It's my favorite shot in the game so far. So much gotten across by barely doing anything.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Started playing this today. Like it so far. Takes a while getting used to being so up close to Kratos all the time.

Top Bottom