• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Remake Interviews: Catch-all Thread

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
There was also that video interview that in the original game, they were thinking of killing all the party members on the ship before the final battle, haha. But yeah, I don't think they'll kill off Tifa. That would screw up Advent Children and all the stuff that came after that.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
And that’s the end of that debate, right?

I’m asking because this is a non-issue that has infected several threads all week.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Surely we are due some more info?

Firstly, welcome to the Lifestream.Net Forums. Pleased to meet you.

Secondly, I don't think we'll hear much more on the Remake 'till after KH3 since that game's supposed to be released this year. Maybe we'll hear more about it in the TGS in September or early next year.

I could be wrong, though.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
We're not gonna hit a pivot point quarter 2 when we're supposed to be getting this huge plethora of FF news.

Oh well. Only less than three months to go now.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
We're not gonna hit a pivot point quarter 2 when we're supposed to be getting this huge plethora of FF news.

For what? The E3 event or the TGS event?

The TGS is in September which is eight months away, not three.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer

For what? The E3 event or the TGS event?

The TGS is in September which is eight months away, not three.

Hashimoto came out a little while ago to say that 2018 Quarter 2 (April to May) would have a LOT of exciting FF oriented news. FFVII is just as valid if not more so a candidate for that period. Especially if KH3 is potentially going to dominate their press in Q3 and release in Q4, which unless they screwed up their release window again, is the most likely case.

SirVival

Pro Adventurer
I logged in last time around 1 year ago. Glad to see there is no news. I hope you had a great year of waiting!

SirVival

Pro Adventurer
Oh it was wonderful, I got so much done. Happy to hear that the FFXV has been so well received and cared for, I hope the same is going to happen to the FFVII remake. It seems like SE is also delivering the usual, is it true that the first part is delayed to 2019?

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I think most people are expecting a 2019 release window for the first part of the FFVII Remake (since KH3 is slated for this year, and the Marvel Avengers game is likely even less far in development than the Remake), but I don't think it can be said that it was "delayed to 2019" when there has been no officially announced release date (or window) to begin with so far.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I think most people are expecting a 2019 release window for the first part of the FFVII Remake (since KH3 is slated for this year, and the Marvel Avengers game is likely even less far in development than the Remake), but I don't think it can be said that it was "delayed to 2019" when there has been no officially announced release date (or window) to begin with so far.

This is playing with semantics versus what people really mean, which is that set backs happening during the production that means the product will release later than it would have if those hiccups never happened.

So yeah, Final Fantasy VII has been delayed, though possibly only by a factor of 6-8 months depending on how long it was before they told us that they were parting company with CC2. You can't get around the fact that they obviously would have had slow downs, especially when they made it clear they had lost a number of leadership positions in the transition to in-house. Time would have had to be taken to replace those people, as well as train up new team members with Unreal4 and the concepts they were working with.

So yeah. Who knows when it might have been originally projected to be out, versus where it's projected to be out in our current future.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
This whole Remake experience has been an exercise in "the burden of knowing". I sometimes wish they hadn't announced it yet, and we could've just played in our happy imaginary what-if-they sandbox, and then they whipped out that emotion-stirring "REMAKE IS REAL" trailer when the thing was already long on its way, instead of getting our dicks hard by strolling into the room in the short skirt that was that trailer, saying they'd be right back, and then catching the next train to Timbuktu whilst our balls grew bluer and bluer

Ite

AKA
Ite
Worse, the trailer was followed up by a "We've been in development for 18 months already! It's coming SO SOON."

Feh. At least you lot are fun to laugh with.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
It's probably me getting old, but waiting >9000 for things doesn't bother me in the slightest anymore. I don't feel any sense of urgency about having them until they're actually like a week from being out.

It doesn't mean that SE's "behind closed doors" and "no news for ages" thing doesn't grind my gears, but I feel largely immune to the angst those things used to fill me with, and just sit in a state of zen-like eventuality.

X :neo:

Lex

Administrator
I'm in the same boat X, but I admit every now and then I do get a twinge that I'll be dead before all of it is out. Not of age. Just of me :monster:

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
I'm definitely less teeth-grinding hand-wringy than I would've been had this been announced, say, after that PS3 Tech Demo years back, but I still get...what's the word...disheartened?? At the lack of news/progress from time to time. I think what's heightening it a bit is that I'm still not fully in the swing of playing Modern games. When I game now it tends to be PC or PS4 versions of older games, like I'm playing through ff8 now, or quote unquote 'indie' games (I'm thinking like "Life is Strange", which is not indie, but I think ya'll know the type I mean). What I need I think is to sink my teeth into a genuinely modern game and that might whet my appetite a bit

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
This is playing with semantics versus what people really mean, which is that set backs happening during the production that means the product will release later than it would have if those hiccups never happened.
Sure its semantics, but I think in this specific case the semantics is important enough one should be as precise as possible with the correct terminology.

Worse, the trailer was followed up by a "We've been in development for 18 months already! It's coming SO SOON."

Feh. At least you lot are fun to laugh with.

Wasn't the "in development for 18 months" quote actually just speculation (albeit well supported) that the Square Portal site made during the original announcement and not actually an official statement/interview?

I remember inquiring about that over a year ago (spoiler tags for old quoted posts length)
"Today, we’re finally able to talk about a long-awaited announcement that could even be count as a miracle amongst Final Fantasy community. After years of Final Fantasy VII fans demanding the nearly impossible to happen, they have made the impossible possible – Final Fantasy VII is getting a real remake for the new-generation consoles. We repeat: it’s not a port or a small remaster with old models, but a completely new version of the classic role-playing game which was revealed at Sony’s E3 press briefing. The game is developed in collaboration between Square Enix and Cyberconnect 2 and has been in the works for a while now – about a year and half. Earlier this year, Cyberconnect2 told Famitsu that they are working hard on creating photo-realistic RPG experience with Unreal Engine 4. It’s very likely Final Fantasy VII Remake is running on it too."

Sorry for resurrecting this old post quote but I had a question regarding the clarification of some info: So when you guys originally quoted this statement in the forum and in your announcement article was this the exact original text on the official Square Portal announcement statement? Because the current version of that statement from the Square Portal article seems to have been modified slightly? (or did it come from a different source than Square Portal because the snapshot The WayBack Machine has of the June 16 2015 version of the article was still then not the same as yours)

"Today, we’re finally able to talk about a long-awaited announcement that could even be count as a miracle amongst Final Fantasy community. After years of Final Fantasy VII fans demanding the nearly impossible to happen, they have made the impossible possible – Final Fantasy VII is getting a real remake for the new-generation consoles. We repeat: it’s not a port or a small remaster with old models, but a completely new version of the classic role-playing game which was revealed at Sony’s E3 press briefing. The game is developed in collaboration between Square Enix and Cyberconnect 2 and has been in the works for a while now. Leading the development will be key members from the original project, including producer Yoshinori Kitase, director Tetsuya Nomura and scenario writer Kazushige Nojima."

Just wanted to ask/clarify to make sure the original "about a year and half" statement (about how long the FFVII Remake had already been in development for at the tie of the June 2015 E3 announcement) was not an unsourced factoid and or something I had been imagining.
^It's been discussed elsewhere and there was some contention about me using that quote because of it.

I pulled that quote from Square Portal the day after the announcement. A week later, people questioned it because Square Portal changed their article. I have no idea why. Following that there was some discussion about there being no proof of anything in said quote (because their article changed and because they themselves are not official).

About 4 months later the Cyberconnect 2 and Unreal Engine 4 bits were officially confirmed. The development period is still technically speculation, but there's enough "evidence" still to suggest it has been in development for a period of 18 months (max) prior to the announcement, including when the original report that it had been greenlit occured (initially as a rumour). The most we can officially say is that development began in 2014, but I refuse now to change the quote because everything else in it turned out to be true. I have absolutely no idea why Square Portal completely changed their article shortly after I quoted it in mine.

EDIT: I expect now that I'm reading the two of them side-by-side that Square Portal removed those due to their speculative nature. What we "knew" at the time was that Cyberconnect 2 had mentioned 18 months before the announcement that they were working on "a world famous RPG being developed in Unreal Engine 4" (this is not an actual quote, but it's something to that effect).

So the timeline of events is as follows:

- Cyberconnect 2 say they're working on a big famous RPG in UE4
- ~18 months later, VII remake is announced at E3
- Square Portal put two and two together
- I post the article
- Square Portal remove their speculation
- TLS moans at me lol
- Cyberconnect 2 and UE4 confirmed officially

Therefore the game has definitely been in development since the original quote from Cyberconnect 2, which is the earliest possible time it could have started. IIRC the quote I'm referencing is one in which Cyberconnect 2 talk about current projects, and they say something like "oh we're working on this thing, and then also this other thing which is a famous RPG in Unreal Engine 4" or something along those lines.

someone do actual research I need to go to bed

Ite

AKA
Ite
Well regardless, no one could have predicted the loss of Cyberconnect at that time, so it’s safe to assume it’s starting from scratch as of about a year ago.

I don’t mind waiting, especially since I don’t think it will surpass the original.

Square continues their search for a Planner, or Planners, (seemingly Battle Planner and Level Planner) for the FFVII Remake. No idea when this job article was posted but it stays up until May 10, 2018.
具体的な業務内容
◆バトルプランナー
・コマンドとアクション性を兼ね備えたバトルシステムの企画作成、仕様作成
・エネミーやボスなどのアイディアの考案
・プレイヤーの成長にあわせたパラメータ設定などの環境構築

◆レベルプランナー
・ロケーション制作のワークフローの構築
・各ロケーションのレベルデザインの考案
・Unreal Engine4でのデータ実装

従来の戦略性にアクション要素が加味された新しいFINAL FANTASYとして、単なるリメイクに留まらず「新たなFF VII」を創造し、あなたのクリエイティビティを世界へ届けてください。

Google Translate said:
Specific work content
◆ Battle Planner
· Planning of battle system combining command and actionality, creation of specifications
· Invent of ideas such as enemy and boss
· Establishment of environment including parameter setting according to player's growth

◆ Level Planner
· Construct workflow for location creation
· Level design of each location devised
· Data implementation in Unreal Engine 4

As a new FINAL FANTASY with action elements added to the conventional strategy, please create "new FF VII" as well as just a remake, and deliver your creativity to the world.

Thanks to Miraculous Maku for posting about this on Twitter.

Lex

Administrator
I think it was posted a relatively short time ago because the ResetERA thread for it was only put up 4 hours ago.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I know there will be a lot of reactions to this as indicative of SE's thumbs still being up their asses on this project (and I'll admit I had to fight the instinct to think so), but if the remake really does adopt the "service model" that FFXV has, this job call could be for the second part of a trilogy, the third part, DLCs to be released in between (or after) ...

It really doesn't say a lot just on its own.

Lex

Administrator
I said this the last time there was a job listing, but these positions are recruited throughout development (and indeed even moreso closer to release as they increase staff). It doesn't really tell us anything about the release window. I definitely think it's for "Part 1", it's just important to know that it doesn't spell trouble for the development or anything.

Of course the general sentiment on the internet is "oh it's in dev hell then" regardless of how much logic you throw at them :monster:

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
If I'm not mistaken, this is the same thing they've been doing for a while, and it just keeps cropping up again and again. But the ramp up is interesting.

Nicely spotted by Lex that more job listings have appeared on Business Division One’s career page since it was originally posted.

I make sure to save these pages in the Wayback Machine and thusly I know which listings did not exist when the page first appeared in May 2017.

New listings:
- Cutscene Designer
- Facial Motion Designer
- Writing Director
- Character Model Designer

It is an amazing insight to see what qualifications are demanded from the applicants.

Facial Motion Designer "google translate" said:
Qualification requirements
【Required Skills and Experience】
· Experience of facial animation production using DCC tool such as Maya, SoftImage
· If you like making things and have a high motivation to make better works

[Desirable skills and experience etc.
· Character animation production experience
· Simple script creation with MEL and PYTHON
· Game development experience using Unreal Engine
· Japanese: Business level

Character Model Designer "google translate" said:
Qualification requirements
【Required Skills and Experience】
As an elementary for making HD character graphics
· Modeling and setup skills using Maya
· Sculpting skills using Zbrush
· Texture creation skills using Photoshop

[Desirable skills and experience etc.
· Game development experience using Unreal Engine
· Experience in handling external production company
· Japanese: Business level
I reckon that knowing which programs were used to create the remake will help whenever fans hack and reverse-engineer the game. :monster:

Top Bottom