Recommend a read

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
[QUOTEThe classic monster novels, aka Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyell and Mr. Hyde. If simply becasue they deconstruct most of the ways those monsters are portrayed now a days. Dracula is pretty ugly and that's just the tip of the iceberg, the monster is probably the smartest character in Frankenstein, and Jekyell is very much aware of what Hyde is up to][/QUOTE]

View endorsed. Also, Pratchett, maybe Hitchhiker's guide as a good tool for aliens.

I'd add the Count of Monte Cristo and the Malazan book of the Fallen (fantasy, but anyway) to the list.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
This get's easier

*gets

I mean really. "Get his"? what.

On that note though, I bought a box set of "Russian classics" a few years ago (TBH I don't even remember when) and I think War and Peace is one of them. I just haven't gotten to them yet, probably because the first book in the set was fuck boring.

Obs said:
On another topic... what order would you guys recommend reading Lovecraft's works in if you've never read his stuff before?

IÄ! FHTAGN! I only bothered to read most of that shit years after I took my mainstream username, so I'm not an authority, but:

* Dagon - one of his most earliest works, but, short story about a shipwrecked dude finding himself on a randomly spawned island and finding DAGON!11eone. Relevant music: hear.
* Beyond the Walls of Sleep - I don't know tbf, but I was reminded of this music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkZ28Z4vOZw
* Nyarlathothep, because name. Story: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Nyarlathotep
* The Other Gods, because Look away... Go back... Do not see! Do not see!
* The Music of Erich Zann, because
* Herbert West, Reanimator - because it's one of the few actually full and proper short stories
* The Lurking Fear
* The Rats in the Walls (TW: it has a cat called Nigger Man)
* The Call of Cthulhu - because duh
* The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath - and with that, all of the Carter books. Might need to be on LSD to get all of it. TL;DR: cats, and the moon.
* The Case of Charles Dexter Ward - TL;DR: zombies. I think. I might be confused with another story; I'm drunk and couldn't comprehend the summary on wikipedia.
* The Colour Out Of Space - iirc Octo associates with the Colour.
* The Dunwich Horror - because Dunwich, and fish-people, and Dagon
* The Whisperer in Darkness - because the title is cool, TBF I don't remember what the story is about and I cba to read the summary on wikipedia
* At the Mountains of Madness - because Guillermo del Toro wants to make it into a movie for the past 9000 years. Also, Antarctica. Also, [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6lnNpEL-iI

* The Shadow Over Innsmouth - because Dagon and fish-people.
* tl;dr: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._P._Lovecraft_bibliography

Also, Pratchett, all of it. I'm reading uhh, Reaper Man at the moment, which is both silly funny and philosophical. I'm trying to get a full set of his books in a certain style, but, I tend to forget about it for a couple of years before buying a new one. Remind me to poast a picture of what I have so far. TL;DR: Discworld, all of it.

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
^ The Necronomicon compilation has all of those IIRC and it's fecking cheap on Amazon (I paid about £16, that's a lot of quality storytelling in a gorgeous hardback). You can dip in and out too - if you're new to Lovecraft some of the longer stories can drag on a bit (I loved the Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath but it did drag on a bit in places. Also Randolph Carter is one of the most quietly awesome characters ever but for some reason the stories featuring him are in order of publishing (I think) rather than chronological order and this is one of the worst things I've ever done to grammar, sorry).

Contrary to the thread title, I'm not going to recommend The Walking Dead series of novels - they're not very well written at all. Enjoyable enough if you're a fan but that's the nicest thing I can say about them.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
If you're in the U.S. Barnes & Noble publishes a complete set of Lovecraft's fiction for, I want to say, $20. No idea if it's available overseas though.

I'll second (third? fourth?) the recommendation for Pratchett.

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
Fuck Barnes and Noble in the ear - just go in, stand there and read them like it's a library. :monster:

I'm backing the Pratchett comments too - he wrote Good Omens with Neil Gaiman FFS, that's double win and definitely worth reading (best literary depiction of the Four Horsemen ever).

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
weve got the necronomiconiconicon. is it the big black one with the gold cthulu on mage?

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
weve got the necronomiconiconicon. is it the big black one with the gold cthulu on mage?

PH'NGLUI MWGL'NAFH CTHULHU R'LYEH WGAH'NAGL FHTAGN!

And if you don't know that phrase by heart like I do by the end of it, you'll be banned for life.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Barnes and Noble
Bums and Nob-hole? Eh? eh?

Anyways, Thanks guys I got a load of stuff to be getting on with now, because I forgot I am not Johnny 5 and I can't read a whole book in 30 seconds.

Rather conwieniently my brother has got the entire Pratchett oeuvre. And I managed to get most of the old classic stuff for free or like 50p.

Nows alls I's gots to dos is reads its alls.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Anyways, Thanks guys I got a load of stuff to be getting on with now, because I forgot I am not Johnny 5 and I can't read a whole book in 30 seconds.

Pfffff, Johnny 5 is a n00b, he only has 500 MB of memory - that's like 20 ebooks at best. Tosser.

A

andrewdiaz

Does anyone here read Alexander Dumas's The Count of Monte Cristo? If not, you had better do it at least once. I love that book very much and the sweet revenge as well.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Likely. Banhammer INCOMING! :monstersmash:

Weird that new members can immediately poast links, we removed that option in vB because of reasons. I guess it's fine given this is one of the few spambots coming through.

Top Bottom