• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

FFVII Remake - SPOILER ALERT!!111

Pixel

The Pixie King
Is it possible to spoil a game that's almost 20 years old? Should we keep tight lipped so we don't ruin the experience for new players?

Huge thanks to Phil for making this video for us.
Subscribe to Daily Fillup for more Final Fantasy, Fitness, Martial Arts, Drawing Tutorials, and more! Get your Fill with Phil:
http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=philhartshorn

If you want a customized fitness/nutrition program and a natural energy drink that will keep you gaming all night, Email Philip here, he'll level you up as your virtual personal trainer: [email protected]
https://www.youtube.com/user/PhilHartshorn
https://www.facebook.com/dailyfillup

Starling

Pro Adventurer
I like the pacing and humour, as well as how the video's message was conveyed. Also helps that Phil is quite charismatic and the city view behind him is rather peaceful, in a way.

Spoilers for stuff ingrained so deeply in pop-culture is somewhat inevitable and a bit unfortunate for people who'd rather experience the story the way it was originally intended but didn't get the chance to by no fault of their own. My middle ground would be to ask people if they mind before talking about it while being able to discuss it freely in places where everyone already knows, such as places that pretty much exist to discuss it. I hear some fandoms where not knowing about spoilers while going into it is such a completely different experience that they go to great lengths not to spoil that for new fans and I think more fandoms should be like that rather than simply assume everyone already knows everything about it.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I think the length of time the place a subject is being discussed has been around is also a factor. If this forum was just made right for the the Remake, I could more understand having a strict spoiler policy. But we've been around for a long time by this point; it'd be easier to place a ban on discussing all of FFVII then to try to figure out what's considered a spoiler at this point and what isn't.

Anything spoiler-worthy in FFVII happens so early in the story-line of the Compilation that it's almost impossible to discuss the Compilation without spoiling anything worth having spoiler warnings about. I mean, anything interesting spoiler-wise happens all on Disk 1 of FFVII...

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
The thing about spoilers ingrained in pop culture is that they're not always correct-Sephiroth as an 'emo Mommy's boy' for instance. And a few well known beats aren't the whole game, people that know
Aeris dies
may not know
The Cloud/Zack reveal

I'd put up warning on the front page and maybe do a new section without spoilers for new fans is a good compromise. I've been on book forums where there's a permanent rule about not talking about future instalment in sections devoted to earlier ones.

CrashOuch

she/her
AKA
Sara
I'd put up warning on the front page and maybe do a new section without spoilers for new fans is a good compromise. I've been on book forums where there's a permanent rule about not talking about future instalment in sections devoted to earlier ones.

I think that seems like a pretty sensible thing to do.

And also, when the remake hits, a lot of people here (I'm assuming) are gonna get on it straight away and might be reasonably quick to finish it. Assuming SE do make at least some changes, even if they're minor ones, technically those changes, or even the handling of all the old stuff, will be considered spoilers, in my mind at least, so we should be sensitive about revealing that sort of thing as well. But that'll be so tough when all we wanna do is chat about it!! So I guess maybe have clearly marked threads and whatever for those who are already in the know or don't mind finding out before their own playthrough.

Anyway, really liked this video! He's a cool guy with nice energy and I always think it's good to vary what you're putting out and change stuff up from time to time so yeah it really worked :D

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Probably the easiest way to do it would be with those icons beside the threads. Most of the time they are just dots (materia?) but I've seen smiley faces and paper? I honestly don't pay attention to them, but if they were clearly marked "X" for spoilers and "O" for non-spoilers that would be eye catching enough for me to not accidentally gaff, and we wouldn't have to pollute every thread title with (BE WARNED!!11)

Edit: just noticed green/red colours. Maybe purple for spoiler-free?

Starling

Pro Adventurer
I think blue for spoiler free and use the purple as its equivalent of when the thread has enough views or replies to go from green to red would be nice. Then we'd have all the standard materia colours except yellow.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
I think a spoiler-free section for the newer fans is a great idea. If they wander into another section and cry spoilers... well, they were warned.

It sucks to segregate, but I think The Engineer has a good point. Both the game and this website have been around for a long time now. A spoiler free section would be an easier thing to do than have admins/mods try and mandate what constitutes as a spoiler and what doesn't.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
The video was entertaining and I think the guy in it did a great job at keeping you watching and interested (and amused at several points). :D

I think the biggest spoiler that gets thrown around is that
Aerith dies, but knowing that doesn't mean it necessarily diminishes anything or how you enjoy her story, though it does take away the shock
, in a similar way if you play the OG you know that
Zack dies too, but it didn't make me any less interested in CC and playing his story, and I loved that game and got extremely invested in his character even knowing he was going to die
One thing I didn't know though, before playing the OG but having watched AC already, was
Cloud being screwed up in that wheelchair
. That shocked me a lot, and wasn't anything that was spoiled for me.

TL;DR I think having a spoiler-free section for newcomers, once the first installment of the Remake is out, sounds like a nice idea. :wacky: Otherwise, people should know to use discretion when coming to fan sites if they don't want to be spoiled. Don't want to be spoiled, don't look it up online, really. :D

Loxetta

Pro Adventurer
Personally, I've never been bothered about spoilers. :monster: I'm the person that reads the TVtropes page on my phone while watching the movie. However, the magnitude of FF7's story ensured that I was still surprised by things when I first played it. Even though I had watched AC, played DC and CC, read synopses, and was actively reading fanfic, all before ever picking up the OG. And y'know, it's different playing the game as compared to reading all about it. I mean, even though I knew THAT THING happened, I still found myself UGLY CRYING.

So, I like the idea of having a spoiler-free section of the forum for the plot of FF7. People should have a safe space here. If they want to find out, they will. Let them decide.

And even for the remake in general, there probably should be a spoiler board. I recall back when Advent Children Complete came out there was a spoilers-allowed board where the changes to the movie were allowed to be discussed freely, while the new parts where considered spoilers through the rest of the forum (or it worked similar to this, anyway. It's been a while. I'm old :monster: ) Something like that, where the current RM board stays free of RM-specific spoilers for us who haven't played it yet.

AerithLives

Pro Adventurer
The only spoilers I am worried about is Square Enix spoiling the remake. I quite like the idea of unanswered questions and some mystery to the plot. I am quite worried they are going to try and Hollywood everything and turn it to some cheap, soulless FF13 clone.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Thanks for the thread bump, but I'm not sure I understand your point. If it's to call for a plot that retains some elements of mystery and wonder, I agree, and I hope Square is up to the challenge. The team they have for this project is already great, and I hope they bring the FFXV team on as well because that game looks fantastic. But we all have hopes and desires and a shot-by-shot FFVII movie that we've been playing in our heads for years, I mean maybe...

I don't fear that the story will lose its soul. We'll all have gripes I'm sure, we're a discerning crowd with varying tastes (lots of ppl love 13) but the central plot of FFVII doesn't seem to be going anywhere -- heck, the only thing different so far is more mooks to kill and a pair of sunglasses (this game sounds awesome)

Anyway, tx for the bump.
Have any of our mods given a Spoiler-Free section any more thought? I think that if it were to exist, it could be on or near the top of the Forum categories, so that newbies don't accidentally stumble into the archives.

I imagine that naturally, this sub-forum about the Remake will naturally develop spoiler-tags for plot information in Part 1 -- likely
Sector 7
and
Shinra's death
and perhaps
Red XIII's real name
and that spoilers beyond the remake will be appropriately marked or not brought up at all, migrating instead to the Compilation General or the OG forums.

The trick is how to adjudicate the General sections. As it stands there's an assumption that posters know the plot of FF7 and other Square/Square-Enix products, but that is going to change when the remake comes out. Our general section is fucking awesome and it would be a shame to lose out on potential friendships if newbies feel confined to the 'kiddie pool.'

Well whatever happens, I trust that individual users will be polite and discreet when talking with new fans. My nephew is five and loves A New Hope - his mom isn't letting him watch Empire for another year or so, and it hasn't been spoiled yet. I'm sure we all have a friend who is finally watching Breaking Bad. We know not to be dicks, I think.

Of course, the word "Lifestream" itself is imo a mild spoiler, since its reveal over the course of the game is one of my favourite story points. Phil already brought this up in his video: at which point is a spoiler a spoiler? What seem like mild spoilers now might be very impactful in the context of the padded mess remake Part 1.

I went in to FFVII with the booklet that came with the NA release, it was 100 words or so and gave little pictures names, blood types etc. (you know, normal acquaintance-level info) and a trait or two for ten characters, (one of which I didn't even encounter on my first playthrough.) I didn't read the rules really, but a brief skim put the word 'materia' in my head before I popped in Disc 1. Everything else I learned over the course of the narrative.

Compared to the hype train that precedes all modern Triple A games, that's not a lot, but it's already more than my preference! :wacky:

The perfect amount of information I like to know going into a work of art is just the title. If the story is connected to a universe I'm already familiar with, that is useful (but not necessary) information, as it will either click at some point in the watching or else not click and therefore blow my mind later... My point is, the less I know the more engrossing I find the media. I think a lot of people feel the same, which is why Spoilers are an easy-to-grasp concept, but defy specific description because the parameters shift depending on the person (and their mood) and the media in question.

That's a lot of variables for something that, in the final reckoning, sucks about as much as a wet foot. Knowing plot details will probably lessen the emotional impact of that scene, but so could many things like the phone ringing or if the acting is horrible. One hopes to move forward.

Whoops, got to thinking out loud.

tl;dr - a dedicated spoiler-free zone is still worth thinking about, but it also might make newbies think that the rest of the forums are unsafe.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
^I dunno, I think for example the way the Kingsglaive thread went worked out very well. Stuff released ahead of time was posted in there without much spoiler tags (iirc) and some people posted spoiler free reviews, but anything they posted that were spoilers of the movie after they watched was spoiler tagged. I never got actually spoiled on anything when I read the thread, because once people watched it almost every post was a spoiler tag. :monster:

Also, for something old that I recently stumbled upon, was the Mass Effect series. I glanced at the thread a few times when I first started playing, and then stopped because I didn't want to be spoiled in case some things weren't under tags (though I don't remember really being spoiled anyhow by untagged stuff).

Tl;dr I think everyone here is pretty good at spoiler-tagging stuff already when it comes to new content that wasn't released in a trailer and before the game/movie came out.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I think in general, we'll get spoiler sections set up as soon as we know what game titles and sections are gonna be, but they're still absolutely something I'm planning to put in place when we get a little more into that time.

X :neo:

Top Bottom