What the Remake Soundtrack should sound like

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Considering how combat is treated, we may not even get a regular battle theme..

Having a soundtrack toggle in the options would be nice. Switch between new, original, piano, and MIDI! :monster:

hian

Purist
Well, considering how music works in SE action/non-transitional RPGs like KH, FFXII, FF Type-0 and FFXV, I do think we're getting a regular battle theme (maybe several different arrangements that change depending on things like how hard the enemies are etc.) - they'll just cross-fade, rather than change in the abrupt manner of earlier FF games.

But I do think we're likely to lose out on the use of the standard victory theme, because having people stand around doing their victory poses etc. after each enemy is vanquished really messes with pacing. That will probably be limited to the aftermath of bosses, or when every single enemy in an area is defeated.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
XII had dungeon music which accounted for both exploration and combat. The only battle-specific tracks were the boss themes. It was well done, but you'd have to pretty much gut VII's OST to make similar tracks (goodbye Lurking in the Darkness and Chasing the Black-Caped Man)

CC had the abrupt thing going on, I could get on that (without the obnoxious AI lady screaming at you) and I don't know KH or FFXV

hian

Purist
XII had dungeon music which accounted for both exploration and combat. The only battle-specific tracks were the boss themes. It was well done, but you'd have to pretty much gut VII's OST to make similar tracks (goodbye Lurking in the Darkness and Chasing the Black-Caped Man)

You sure about that? Granted I was playing on the European version, I still have a pretty distinct memory of the music changing the moment you actually bumped into enemies.

Actually I just checked game-play footage from the Giza plains, and the track definitely changes upon combat, with the addition of more pronounced percussion, and the addition of brass.

https://youtu.be/JvjhEso-ke4?t=987

It follows the same melody to an extent, but it's obvious that the track changes dynamically to complement the combat.
It bumps up a couple of notches when you encounter an enemy, and goes back down when there are no longer any enemies in your close vicinity.

CC had the abrupt thing going on, I could get on that (without the obnoxious AI lady screaming at you) and I don't know KH or FFXV

KH and FFVX both have combat themes that cross-fade.

KH :
https://youtu.be/DZZHaNtvgLM?list=PL6zNqSnoLmqgJSneE1umSF8WyoaPwLlYR&t=272

FFXV :
https://youtu.be/665NAiDV-hQ?t=821

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
It follows the same melody to an extent, but it's obvious that the track changes dynamically to complement the combat.
It bumps up a couple of notches when you encounter an enemy, and goes back down when there are no longer any enemies in your close vicinity.

Nah, that's just how the music goes. That was pretty much coincidental.

hian

Purist
Maybe.
Point still stands though, as KH and FFXV still have distinct combat themes using cross-fade.
Seeing as both projects were directed by Nomura, and most likely have more in common with FFVII:R than FFXII by miles, I think it's more reasonable to assume the remake will follow that pattern.

Lex

Administrator
I just really want them to avoid overusing metal. I appreciate metal in general, but they have a tendency to overdo it with VII (J-E-N-O-V-A, Advent OWA, etc.)

hian

Purist
^ This X 100.

The FFVII metal gets old really quickly. If they make the standard combat theme heavy on the metal, and I have to listen to that on repeat for most of the game, I'm turning off the sound and playing my own music in the background.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
omg Interrupted By Fireworks, all the feels and so many more with that song.

They did an excellent and interesting selection of songs. While Aerith and OWA would be obvious choices he went with Fireworks and Birth of a God which are sometimes underappreciated.

Also, gawds, Judgement Day is one of my favourite songs and I think this needs a bit more oomph, it was still chilling to listen to. <3

I dig it.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
57758488.jpg

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
Here's an interesting question: What should be done about music used in more than one area? Do we want a different song used in the Train Graveyard instead of sharing it with Nibelheim? Should Wall Market and Rocket Town use the same music?

Should towns have their own distinct take on the music used originally (something like Crisis Core's mix of Anxious Heart)?

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I'm a little hesitant when it comes to the Orchestra vs Synthesizer debate. I feel like the electronic/techno elements of the original soundtrack really served as part of the personality of VII, and something important and irreplaceable would be lost if they went for a straight orchestral or even 'real' instrument track. A lot of people had similar problems with the X remaster track, which still had some synth, but did alienate a few people.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
I have been thinking about that (orch/synth) at least since the release of AC, and yeah, there's no doubt that the synthesizer soundtrack was a huge part of 7's (and 8's, et al) personality, even if it was just a matter of the tech at the time. But, going down that same road, turn-based battles were also a huge part of it's feeling and persona...so despite the attachment, I won't be expecting to see a synthesizer soundtrack. I mean, has there been a (even moderately) recent game released with a 7-styled soundtrack??

Top Bottom