• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Happy 20th Anniversary Final Fantasy VII

Lex

Administrator
It's now the 31st of January in Japan, which means it's officially FFVII's 20th birthday. My baby's all grown up <3

106358-final-fantasy-vii-playstation-front-cover.jpg

latest

Final_Fantasy_VII_Box_Art.jpg

tumblr_inline_msr4amfPfa1qz4rgp.png

c399e03126d602b9aed5655e127048f8.jpg

I will never forget that feeling of first playing the game as long as I live. It fades from time to time but something always brings it back now and again <3

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
It's the 31st here in Australia too, only two hours ahead of Japan, actually. But wow, 20 years already. Doesn't seem that long ago, though, despite that I was only turning 5 at the time, and my sister was turning 7.

Happy 20th Anniversary/Birthday, FFVII!

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Yeah, I was thinking of writing something, but I don't know what, except for "hopefully we'll hear about the remake later on". We could just wait for the press conference.

I feel like doing something to mark the anniversary. I'm free on Wednesday, so maybe I could stream VII for 20 hours or something :wacky:

Sapp

Rookie Adventurer
Can't believe it's been 20 years already jeez haha. I was 6 or 7 when I got introduced to it for the first time. My best friend and I literally watched his uncle(who was only 5 years older than us) play through the whole game. Got so addicted to it just by watching the story go along despite barely playing it myself at the time. The main things that stuck with me at the time were Chocobo raising, Sephiroth/Aerith, and the final battle with safer Sephiroth. Finally years later I enjoyed it for myself and completed the game.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I got it for my 11th birthday. Before that my friend showed it to me. At first I didn't get it but upon seeing the way the inn worked (specifically in the Wall Market) , I saw a comparison to pokemon and gave it a shot. I borrowed it through about that point and then got the disks for my birthday. I remember the way the animation for casting magic enthralled me, though I'm not sure exactly why, and I have adored it every since.

Lex

Administrator
Some anecdotes from my childhood experiences with VII:

- I first played the game when I was 7/8. It belonged to my uncle, who got it with his Playstation. He didn't like/ understand the game, so he gave it to me. I played it for weeks without a memory card, starting from the very beginning every time. I didn't get beyond meeting Aerith. One time my uncle watched me play at my grandmother's house (because I used to take VII with me, most of my relatives had Playstations) and read the manual, saw that I needed a memory card and gave me his too.

- I got stuck for a long time on the second reactor mission because I didn't understand that you had to interact with the slide to get down to the reactor. My cousin did that bit for me XD.

- I bonded with my older cousin over VII, we used to take turns playing while sleeping over at each other's houses. I remember the first time I got to the forgotten capital I waited until he visited because I was creeped out by the place - I felt how ominous it was. When it became night in game I was too scared to continue and handed him the controller and watched Aerith die through my hands.

There are more but I have to leave for work :monster:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I don't get why everyone thinks that the Forgotten City is creepy. I think it's beautiful, especially the giant sea-shells and the white glowing trees, but yeah, Aerith's death shocked me that my heart pounded that echoed with the heart-pounding moment in the game itself.

Sapp

Rookie Adventurer
It was definitely a beautiful scenery. It wasn't creepy to me, I'd say it was incredibly depressing for me at that time though since its so synonymous with Aeriths death. Me being so young and into the thought of Cloud and Aerith ending up together just couldn't accept that scene at all. The North Crater theme debuting some time after with how dark and moody it was, albeit a great tune, didn't help me either :/ lol

Pixel

The Pixie King
Any word on what's going on with the event? Just finished work. If there was a stream, I'd just go to a cafe and watch

Fangu

Great Old One
Yeah, I was thinking of writing something, but I don't know what, except for "hopefully we'll hear about the remake later on". We could just wait for the press conference.
See Lex's post, it should be about the memories :joy:

I remember how FFVII was the first game for me where the Internet really enhanced the gaming experience. Not only with the countless online gameplay guides created by every other fan, but all the official artwork you could find (zomg the artwork showing the Shinra Company structure!), fan speculations and analyses and let's not forget all the silly rumors like how to revive Aerith or how to acquire a flying white Chocobo. :monster:

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
I initially didn't buy into the hype. I mean, I knew the hype was there since the launch of the PlayStation and pending launch of the Nintendo 64. I had been reading GamePro and EGM monthly in those days, so obviously the news of then-Squaresoft ending their business ties with Nintendo and jumping ship to the Sony PlayStation did not go unnoticed by me, and the first title announced after the news broke was FF7 (though Tobal No. 1 was released first).

The reason I didn't buy into the FF7 hype back in 96 and 97 was because I had rented an RPG back in 94, and was discouraged by it, so I wanted to stay away from the genre at the time. Well, low and behold, Christmas Day rolls around in 1997, and under the tree with my name on it, I tear the wrapping off and find Final Fantasy VII on PlayStation (I had gotten the console the previous Christmas because of Tekken 2). I waited about a week to finally play it...maybe out of nervousness? Anyway, after finally playing it, I found myself stunned by the fact that my first mission was to blow up a Mako Reactor. This was not the type of setting I expected to see out of an RPG at the time, and before long, I was spending all damn weekend playing it. As I expected, I got lost in the game, underleveled, short on cash and equipment (at the time, I was too damn lazy to actually grind, let alone to the extent I do now), and I found myself unable to beat Lost Number (not realizing that this boss fight was in fact optional), so I erased my save, bought the Brady Games strategy guide, and started over.

Now, it's one of my favorite games of all time. On top of that, I am one of the most broken players in this game that I know of. If anyone's seen my post in the TLS PS4 Community with a Level 99 Aerith screencap (I think Tennyo commented on it), you'll know the extent of it.

Top Bottom