Tool-Assisted Speedrun Thrad

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I don't think I posted the latest Super Metroid run. It completes the game with an in-game completion time of two minutes and an item collection of 2%. It's pretty much the in-game equivalent of diving by zero. And Samus still manages to save the animals.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Final Fantasy III NES beat in just over six minutes thanks to heavy memory corruption.

Here's a longer glitched version, with author's commentary (enable closed captioning), in around forty minutes. The author uses a glitched job that enables him to end any battle immediately.

And here's a version of the same run without the commentary but with some other technical info:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V

This varies in quality somewhat but the best parts are jaw-dropping.

Here's another run along the same lines:

More SMW stuff to follow sooner or later.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Not a speedrun, but this video series shows off a lot of super glitchy stuff. I've watched the first fourteen videos.

I have more SMW stuff to show off too, as alluded to above, but I need to sort through it and see what I've already posted in this thread, which I don't have time to do before work.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
A solid TAS of one of the best SM64 hacks. Almost two hours of awesome. My only real complaint is that the overworld gets a bit repetitive, but that's not the fault of the speedrunner :monster:

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Just wondering but, what exactly do people use for Tool Assists in fighting games?

I saw a "Sol on a Perfect Day" run, but that seemed nigh impossible to pull off.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
The same software they use for any other run, I'd assume. I've never made one myself, but I think the principles are the same no matter what genre you're running.

Here's another SM64 hack speedrun:

The one I really want to see done is SM74 Extreme Edition, but truth be told, a few of those stars would probably be boring to watch. There are enough amazing ones that it would probably still be worth it, though. Here's a couple levels from SM74EE:

Also, Ombru-Sphere is an upside-down version of Luminum-Sphere and Veneno-Sphere and Crudelo-Sphere are the same level turned on its side in two different ways. There are a few small differences to make them playable, but still, mind blown. That is flat-out some of the best level design I think I've ever seen.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
New glitched Super Metroid speedrun. Seven minutes of playing time this time around; two minutes in-game time. Which is especially impressive when you consider that the first four and a half minutes are prologue, and the gameplay doesn't even start until almost two and a half minutes into the run.

Save corruption is a hell of a drug. And once again, they saved the animals.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
I finally found a 100% SMB3 TAS for Lex. The authors also have commentary for this one, which is nice. They may have additional commentary here; I haven't watched the Twitch stream yet. My only complaints with this run are no Tanooki suit, no Hammer Bros. suit, and no 99 lives, but all of those would have slowed the run down, so I can see why they forewent them.

Also, here's the glitched run they were obliquely referring to in the 7-1 commentary. (Same authors).

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
New FFIV speedrun by a friend of mine. This bans the 64-floor glitch but uses a number of other glitches. Parts, such as the Valvalis/Barbariccia and Calcabrina fights, aren't very well optimised, but this still beats the existing run by a substantial margin (and would apparently be a several minute difference if not for SNES9x not being anywhere near as accurate as BizHawk). Unfortunately, it's only uploaded in 144p.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Here's a new encode of the above run, at higher quality and with a lot more information. It's planned to go up to at least 720p, I believe, but currently only resolutions up to 360p are available. Which is still a lot nicer than the 144p on the first video.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
I don't think I posted this MM2 hack before so here.

From a game design standpoint, this is almost as impressive as Rockman 4 Negative Infinity. From a difficulty standpoint, it's probably harder, because there's no mercy invincibility in the game's hard mode (which this speedrun plays through).

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
I don't think this has been posted before.

There's a bunch of other SMW hacks I should probably post eventually as well.

Lex

Administrator
I present this thing I found, the FFIX 100% TAS with Combined Stats Path:

There are four or five parts all on YouTube (should be in the "up next" column). "With Commentary" means there are comments in the grey box to the right. It also has a handy checklist of things throughout the game.

Top Bottom