Toho's Godzilla Films (Shin Godzilla & Minus One)

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Some interesting commentary on Godzilla's attack:
http://patrickmacias.blogs.com/er/2...destroying-tokyo-and-radical-otaku-polit.html

It's really interesting to think about Godzilla's attack on Tokyo not really being an attack per se, but more like a natural disaster that we manage to make worse. I also really like that this Godzilla is something that goes well beyond a threat to Japan, but is very much believable as a global threat occurring IN Japan.

Also, I found some bootleg clips on YouTube of Godzilla's various forms as well as the Gainax-y ending that I've been rewatching after watching that review yesterday. I can put 'em up under a spoiler tag if anyone's curious about Godzilla's evolution throughout the film.

X :neo:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Here's about an hour and 15 mins of BTS VFX stuff. I wanna try and hunt down the whole thing, if I can find out where it's from.

AvecAloes

Donator
Was the theater full when you went? Mine was, looked to be sold out, and I know there was at least one other theater in NYC showing the film as well, because one of my friends was at another showing the same night that I went to see it.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Was the theater full when you went? Mine was, looked to be sold out, and I know there was at least one other theater in NYC showing the film as well, because one of my friends was at another showing the same night that I went to see it.

My theater sold out the day one 7:30 showing, so they had an 8:00 showing in their really nice theater (so, I was a tiny little bit sad I didn't get to see that showing instead), but I was just happy that it was getting really good attendance. We only had it Tue, Wed, Thurs at 7:30 in our theaters here.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Here's my absolute favourite shot from the film, in no small part because of the moment before it being so incredible and this giving a perspective unlike any we've seen in a Godzilla film before:

godzilla1.jpg

Unit-01

Might be around.
AKA
Sic, Anthony
Besides the fact this movie took a ton of awards, Anno and Shinji took the best director award.

Godzilla Resurgence won best picture, while Hideaki Anno and Shinji Higuchi jointly took the best director award for their work together on the Toho reboot of the iconic monster franchise.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I love Resurgence for the fact that for the first time in the franchise's entire history, they made all the political aspects that are usually just padding, and actually made them both funny and interesting. It almost felt like a docu-drama on how the governments of the world would react if a giant monster of unknown origins did suddenly emerge from the sea.

Not to mention total gross body horror as Zilla evolved.

Unit-01

Might be around.
AKA
Sic, Anthony
So in that case I'll get around to it then. :)

Will say, if Godzilla has never done that before as you describe, was it the fact Anno was directing it? I keep hearing that this movie draws a ton of inspiration from Evangelion(which should be obvious because it's goddamn ANNO) which everyone who's seen the series knows he and Gainax did a really good job of setting up the the governments while still being able to focus on each character in that series.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
So in that case I'll get around to it then. :)

Will say, if Godzilla has never done that before as you describe, was it the fact Anno was directing it? I keep hearing that this movie draws a ton of inspiration from Evangelion(which should be obvious because it's goddamn ANNO) which everyone who's seen the series knows he and Gainax did a really good job of setting up the the governments while still being able to focus on each character in that series.

Probably. All I know is I definitely felt this was more balanced than past Japanese Godzillas where I'm just fastforwarding to the monster bits. Some of the characters are really funny. The deadpan bio-researcher is one of my favorites.

It opens some doors to other films I want to see them do: I'd love a Hedora return, where Hedora is the botched result of an experimental pollution eating organism. It gets out of control, and goes so far as to punch a complete hole in the atmosphere with it's emissions, turning Osaka into a sun-scorched wasteland.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
It's also one of the few films that's really a return to form in emerging from a commentary on nuclear crisis. Like the original with Lucky Dragon 5, this film has Fukushima driving its inspiration and commentary and he does a damned amazing job of balancing the humorous annoyances of government along with its benefits. Insofar as being a "serious" Godzilla film, where his primary role is a nuclear allegory and not as a Kaiju character, this is far and away my favourite.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Looks like there's gonna be a limited run of this in May. Hope it'll be screened at one of the local cinemas.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Back from the theater.

Shiro Sagisu really got a lot of mileage out of that Evangelion track, huh.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Kind of took me out of the movie a bit if I'm honest, it's like if John Williams reused music from something as recognizable as Star Wars in Harry Pot-nevermind he actually did that :awesome:

I liked the part where Godzilla fire-barfed the fuck out of Tokyo. :monster:

Also, Slitherzilla looks so derpy. :'D

The scene with the Germans...I couldn't understand the one dude. I'm not sure what was going on there. I'm not sure whether he wasn't German and had a thick accent or whether he flubbed his line and mumbled his way through it. Gonna have to rewatch that. I guess the Japanese directors wouldn't notice eitherway :monster:

That Japanese-American character randomly using English words was annoying. It's a trope that any writer should avoid imo. No one talks like that!
You don't see me using random Wörter in Deutsch now, oder? :P

Considering it's not a major Hollywood production, the CG was pretty decent imo. Only thing that stood out to me was when they crashed multiple trains into Godzilla and they all just weirdly shot up into the air. That was pretty darn bad.

Those humanoid things coming out of the tail at the end were freaky as fuck. I just looked at a closeup of a sculpt. How the fuck is that even an evolution of Godzilla D:

Movie was pretty neat all in all I guess :monster:
Definitely felt the Anno factor in how scenes were blocked and edited and of course with Sagisu's involvement.

Now finish Eva 4 already, goshdarnit.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
:awesomonster:

Insofar as the Japanese-American using English, they actually steal enough loan words from English, so that's not all that odd, even though other languages definitely wouldn't do that. She wasn't convincingly American at all though, but I'll forgive that.

The crash flying trains are weird, but admittedly, I have no damn idea what a high speed train collision actually looks like, so… *shrugs*

I love all the terrifying designs and how, even when it's kinda derpy, it seems alien and unnerving in ways. My favourite bit is still the metallic sounds when they first fire the helicopter guns at its Fourth Form.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I mean seriously this shit is gross and creepy and terrifying:

vaVrOOx.jpg

Such a cool final shot. It's so short that just when you realize what the hell you're seeing it cuts to black. :wacky:

Top Bottom