Prometheus, Alien: Covenant, (and likely others)

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
It's funny that you mention the Star Wars nostalgia thing because right after I posted the "ohhh nooooeee woeee is mee" on your fb post, I thought..."well...I'll go eat my own foot". Or put my foot in my mouth. Or whatever the saying is. :wacky:

I think what I'm getting at here is that Star Wars has its quirky/goofy/nostalgic moments and that's part of its charm, but not Alien. :monster:

Also, like RandomNobody mentioned, the sex scene in the Covenant trailer is probably where my eyeballs rolled out of my face. :monster:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i liked resurrection for the bit when winona ryder says "all aliens, please report to level one"

aliens is alright, but it's a big shift in tone compared to the first film. i can't imagine alien featuring bill paxton going on about his squad of ultimate badasses and shouting stuff like 'game over, man! game over!'

actually, i think the whole colonial marines thing was one of my least favourite parts of the series overall. i'm just not that interested in them. which might be why i wasn't too disappointed to hear that the colonial marines game was actually shite. (if isolation had been like colonial marines, i would have been very sad)

plus in aliens you had the xenomorphs just running into gun turrets until they ran out of bullets. they like the movie monster equivalent of a small child who never learns the stove is hot even after getting burnt 25 times. i thought they were meant to be smart.

i guess they're just prometheus-smart.

(also are they going to explain why everything in prometheus looks shiny and modern and everything in alien is retro-modern. is there going to be a film showing the change in aesthetic trends. couldn't you have based the designs on the film you're meant to be working your way towards)

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
That reminds me I still need to finish Alien Isolation but after the first encounter with the alien I got too scared and stressed out and haven't continued since :sadpanda:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
on the subject of derivative entries in franchises, i think the story of isolation took one too many story beats from the original film at times (i never played the dlc to see if it fleshed some of the other characters because a) i'm cheap and didn't buy them and b) i read they have a high pre-set difficulty and i played the game on easy because i'm a wuss) but in terms of atmosphere it is what i imagine being chased by an alien would feel like and it didn't muck it up by filling the game with you having to kill human enemies all the time (coughlastofuscough)

i have a video where i walked out a room and looked up the corridor and the door at the end was open with the alien stood still peering around the corner at me, so i ran the other way and hid in a locker for 5 minutes :sadpanda:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Also, like RandomNobody mentioned, the sex scene in the Covenant trailer is probably where my eyeballs rolled out of my face. :monster:

I actually KIND of liked that since the original tail-between-the-legs death scene was VERY intentionally meant to be a rape metaphor, and in this one, it's the guy getting shredded to bits and he's properly exposed in that moment as well, so it has a similar but different tone to it coming from that point of narrative view, even if we don't know why they're banging in a waterfall at that moment with a Neo/Xenomorph stalking about.

i liked resurrection for the bit when winona ryder says "all aliens, please report to level one"

aliens is alright, but it's a big shift in tone compared to the first film. i can't imagine alien featuring bill paxton going on about his squad of ultimate badasses and shouting stuff like 'game over, man! game over!'

actually, i think the whole colonial marines thing was one of my least favourite parts of the series overall. i'm just not that interested in them. which might be why i wasn't too disappointed to hear that the colonial marines game was actually shite. (if isolation had been like colonial marines, i would have been very sad)

plus in aliens you had the xenomorphs just running into gun turrets until they ran out of bullets. they like the movie monster equivalent of a small child who never learns the stove is hot even after getting burnt 25 times. i thought they were meant to be smart.

i guess they're just prometheus-smart.

(also are they going to explain why everything in prometheus looks shiny and modern and everything in alien is retro-modern. is there going to be a film showing the change in aesthetic trends. couldn't you have based the designs on the film you're meant to be working your way towards)

That moment is so good.

Also, Aliens has armed forces whereas Alien didn't. I still think of it as the difference between surviving to build a hive vs. using that hive makes for those tactics to be understandable even if they're far less interesting. The story of the colony being overrun would be an interesting one, since it'd be like Alien on crack.

FWIW, Initial control over survival is central to Alien films feeling scary. 1, 3, & AvP:R, the Xenomorphs are put there without any real control of the people who need to survive it, whereas in 2, 4, AvP, & Prometheus, all the people put themselves there (silent machinations of Weyland-Yutani notwithstanding), and then just need to escape. That's the essential difference in seeing them as action or horror films and the difference between the Aliens themselves as being a true horror, or as a monstrous obstacle — and again, I can't quite tell where this new one lands.

Insofar as aesthetic differences, I always found that one to be easy. Luxury yachts, cargo ships, and battleships used in 2016 all look extremely different and have varying levels of technologies on them and people aboard them. Realistically, space travel would exacerbate those differences even more significantly, so while it can feel a little bit disjointed, I don't really see major issues with it — even ignoring the actual years in which all those films were made.

X :neo:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
No shits given whatsoever. I might watch this when it's on telly in 2019 or something. I have no faith that they're going to go anywhere interesting with this.
That's where I am at the moment with this. I want something actually exploring the mythos, not a rehash of the same stalk-kill horror that got us frightened of the creatures and interested in learning more about them to begin with.
Though I, too, would have preferred that, it's easy enough to explain from an in-universe perspective. The Prometheus was a well-funded exploration vessel carrying
a VIP, even if most of the crew didn't know it
. The Nostromo was a freighter, and neither equipped for nor intended for the same work.

Comparing it to "Blade Runner," and not just because we now know them to be set in the same universe, it's not that unbelievable. Most of LA looks like shit in that movie, but Tyrell's properties are fancy pants.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Comparing it to "Blade Runner," and not just because we now know them to be set in the same universe, it's not that unbelievable. Most of LA looks like shit in that movie, but Tyrell's properties are fancy pants.
when did i miss this

i hadn't really considered looking at from that angle (i admit, i don't do thinking much lately). which would be easily managed by showing some of the more 'low class' environments that look like a 70's version of the future rather than the shiny blue-tinted 10's future. show me some rundown ships with those weird squishy looking walls

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X

I really dig the feel of this. It fits in the Alien universe in the overall feel, and it also feels a tiny bit Prometheus-like as well. It gets some subtle references in but also shows the way a "shake n bake" type colony gets started. Hopefully the film manages to be solid in the same ways as this prologue short.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X

While the earlier trailer evoked Alien (overly) heavily, this one just fills me with sheer fucking terror. Not sure why precisely, but I have chills ALL THE WAY down my spine after that one. Jeeze damn, dude.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
hmmm

If I hadn't seen a) Prometheus b) the previous trailer, I might be more enthused by this. Except for that ending bit where the Xeno is trying to headbutt the windscreen, that was kinda stupid to me.

But the other stuff did seem unsettling and spooky.

Am I right in thinking that the 'David' android is a different one right?

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Maybe I'm just tired and need my morning coffee, but this new trailer feels too bombastic, and leaves me numb and unaffected. I feel like it shows too many of the movie's cards. We already know there's going to be a xenomorph in this, y'don't have to shove it at us, smiling in broad daylight almost directly at the camera like the most awkward yearbook picture ever.

C51fadIWcAEKjQ2.jpg

Maybe just a little too obvious?

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Maybe I'm just tired and need my morning coffee, but this new trailer feels too bombastic, and leaves me numb and unaffected. I feel like it shows too many of the movie's cards. We already know there's going to be a xenomorph in this, y'don't have to shove it at us, smiling in broad daylight almost directly at the camera like the most awkward yearbook picture ever.

C51fadIWcAEKjQ2.jpg

Maybe just a little too obvious?

I agree with you a bit. The current meta in Trailers basically ruins movies but focus tests have shown people want to know everything going into a movie to make the ticket purchase worth while. Which to an extent is understandable when the average 2 person movie date could easily be 50$ , it probably hits mind boggling numbers if you are taking a legion of children in tow.

I regret watching the trailer after I noticed that
the dogtagss they found said Dr. Shaw on them. I have feeling shes going to be in the movie in more than just a flashback capacity and I wish i would have had that reveal in the movie experience rather then from my tiny in comparison pc screen.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I worded that poorly.

Here 2 tickets comes out to to around 30$ with tax included. I'm the type of person that needs drink at the theater, the thought of being stuck in a room for 2 hours possibly being thirsty is almost nightmarish to me haha.

So drink is like 6$, what if my date doesn't like the glory that is Red Flash? Gotta get the heathen her Dr. Pepper. So 12$. Were already at 42$ before factoring in some deliciously over priced popcorn =/

I know its stretching it but that's generally what movies end up costing me more or less. I really should start hitting up early bird specials. I can only imagine how pricey the cost of a movie can be for a couple with a fleet of children in tow ready to get down on some Moana or other Disney awesomeness etc.

So to me I think the issue of current day Trailers is two fold. Partly because of what I listed. If people are gonna be potentially be dropping a good amount of money for 2 hours of entertainment the expectation would be that hopefully its actually entertaining especially when compared to the value of say. Netflix or piracy on the web etc.

The other problem. And its a huge stretch lol.

I think part of it is that trailers dont have that classic "In world where..." movie guy narrator anymore. It really fell out of favor, but it was a really good way to give the premise of a film in the 90's without giving away the holy shit moments.

Now it seems to be on the extreme end of show don't tell. Just my two cents but over all i think it's really sad. I grew up going to movies and a big part of the thrill was seeing the previews and trailers. When the Internet became more accessible to me growing up the prospect of seeing said trailers much easier was awesome! Now I feel like I need to avoid them to be able to enjoy the movie proper.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
No way am I going to see this at the cinema, even if it gets glowing reviews. I might rent it. Or else I'm happy to wait until it comes on TV in 2020. Assuming it doesn't clash with something better :monster:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Man... I see a movie almost every week. I'm nearly always seeing it in an XD theater, frequently in 3D, and the whole theater has luxury seating & I'm never spending more than $20-$25 for two tickets (and those are for the first or second Thursday night release showings). It sounds like you'd mega benefit from looking into theater deals.

Also, insofar as trailers – I usually watch them once, but don't over-analyze them for films any more. I let my volatile memory keep the overall feeling of excitement or whatnot and let the details bleed away. I avoid TV spots entirely, because they're where bad things leak out most often that ruin moments for me. Also, I AM comfortable rewatching Star Wars trailers, because I know how tightly they run those ships and that they expect their fanbase to scrutinize every detail and the TFA trailers really gave me ultimate confidence in that.

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
I'm happy they've brought back the whole skull under the carapace design with the alien, always thought it looked super creepy.

Overall I can't shake the vibe it's a remake of the first movie with a Prometheus colour palette though. I quite liked Prometheus and all that jazz, but I miss the lo-fi 70's style future atmosphere from the original. Everything's so clinical looking in this

Ghost X

Count me in on the pessimism train :monster:

There is another movie, called "Life" (I think... there is probably a thread), which seems very Alien-like, which I'm looking forward to more.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I watched the trailer, and the part I liked most was when the crew was on the lush planet and one of the women asked 'do you hear that? No birds. No animals.'

I dunno, it was really intriguing, and if I didn't know it was an aliens movie I never would've guessed at that point. Very mysterious.
And then facehuggers and aliens and gore and everyone likely dies except one. :monster:

I actually have a thing for the games and playing as an alien, the gameplay is usually very fun for me. But I've always been too freaked out by facehuggers and stuff bursting out of chests, I just can't watch those parts. :wacky:
Let me know how the movie is :monster:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
There is another movie, called "Life" (I think... there is probably a thread), which seems very Alien-like, which I'm looking forward to more.

That's super interesting, because I am INCREDIBLY skeptical about that film. Mainly because the, "Oh noes! The horrors of science and exploration and playing god!" played straight for horror is something that I dislike in hard science fiction when portrayed as being set in the real world, because I feel that it generates a lot of negative feelings towards those sorts of sciences in the real world. (Probably the also the reason I really like Interstellar and Arrival where the scientists and explorers are giving hope or optimism to the real world setting).

The Alien films for me are always about their overall distant and scary setting and while it doesn't have the same "space trucker" vibe of the earlier ones, I still like that because of reasons I've mentioned before.

@Flare: Playing the Xenomorph is the best in those games.

Top Bottom