The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Compilation of Final Fantasy VII > Post-Crisis Final Fantasy VII

Post-Crisis Final Fantasy VII All content in Advent Children Complete, On the Way to a Smile, & Dirge of Cerberus detailing the 3 years since the conclusion of Final Fantasy VII.

Old 03/25/2017   #751
Shademp

Cloze just uploaded six new videos, all showing promotion exam missions. As described before, Cloze has imposed a black bar over the names in the chat box.

Promotion Exam Videos: Drone & Scout, and Commander 3rd (skipping Trooper)

Drone 2nd (Class) Promotion Exam

Drone 1st (Class) Promotion Exam

Scout 3rd (Class) Promotion Exam
^Our first recording of Mako Capsules being picked up!

Scout 2nd (Class) Promotion Exam

Scout 1st (Class) Promotion Exam
At 0:10 we see the name "Minority". Cloze belonged to a Unit/Squad known as Team Minority. He tries the "safe spot" at 2:49 but the Crimson Hound follows him there. The revisit to the safe(ish) spot at 3:23 worked better. For some reason there is just blackness from 4:30 to 5:27.

NO videos showing the advancement through the Trooper rank have been uploaded. We skip straight to Commander.

Commander 3rd (Class) Promotion Exam

These videos have confirmed that the rank icons changed between numbered classes, not just between the categories of Drone, Scout etc!

Progression of rank icons, Drone 2nd --> Scout 1st & Commander 3rd

Drone 2nd

Drone 1st

Scout 3rd

Scout 2nd

Scout 1st

(SKIPPING Trooper Class)

Commander 3rd

Last edited by Shademp; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:50 AM.
Shademp is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (03/25/2017)
Old 03/25/2017   #752
Shademp

Normally, when you use the OI8 item (which is the placeholder name for the Grenade) no grenade model will show up. By making the area reference the grenade model, it now shows up once you throw it. There are still no sounds associated with the grenade and it isn't visible while in your hand, but this is still a neat thing.

YouTube Video

The OI9 item, or the "S-Mine", still won't show up in this area even when I've made sure that the game can summon this model.

There are some curious differences between the main game and the Extra Missions, when it comes to unlocking the online player character model o099.

First of all, the o099 model absolutely refuses to become visible in Extra Missions. This might be because all suits, faces, masks etc are by default set to OFF here, rather than like in the main game where they all become set to ON.

Another difference is that when you play as invisible o099 during an Extra Mission is that Vincent's double-jump is removed. In this sense, your moveset is more like what it is supposed to be as o099. In the main game, unlocking o099 keeps the double-jump.

When I use OI9, the S-Mine, in the main game it will always cause the player character to freeze in position and stay frozen unless attacked by enemies. However, in an Extra Mission, invisible o099 will actually perform the crouching animation of planting an S-Mine, standing back up and becoming controllable again! The planted bomb never actually explodes even when tons of enemies run across it, but at least the (invisible) animation was executed and the character didn't stay freezed.

I wanted to create the video showing the o099 with only one particular face and body, but doing so while simultaneously trying to make the grenades visible caused the game to freeze every time. While playing as a female o099, with the Sniper Suit on, I observed two things. First, sometimes an alternate version of the Sniper Suit would flash on.

Female default Sniper Suit versus female green Sniper Suit

This makes me confident that all the suit colors/designs exist on the game disc!

Second, I observed that beneath the skirt of the female sniper is a black void. I find myself sighing in relief that they didn't allow panty shots here.

(SPOILER)

Last edited by Shademp; 03/25/2017 at 05:07 PM.
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (03/25/2017)
Old 03/26/2017   #753
Shademp

FUCK YEAH Cloze uploaded the final promotion exam videos!

NOTE: Corrected a mistake in my last post about Cloze's videos. They didn't actually upload videos showing them advancing to Trooper class. They skip Trooper and go straight to Commander.

Commander 2nd --> Tsviet

Commander 2nd (Class) Promotion Exam
In this recording we get more time to observe how the mako capsules rotate before they are picked up. At 5:19 there is a displacement of a bazooka enemy's shadow. Lol, at the end the mission is finished while your player is crouching in a tight surface, which leads to them NOT performing the victory stance. XD I've never seen this happen before.

It's so refreshing to see a piece of Dirge gameplay that actually requires precise platforming!

Commander 1st (Class) Promotion Exam

General 3rd (Class) Promotion Exam
This one was intense! The bazooka- and sword guys run super-fast and attack the player character relentlessly. Meanwhile there's a constant stream of other soldiers out for your life.

General 2nd (Class) Promotion Exam

General 1st (Class) Promotion Exam

The first video where we actually get to see Cloze's main player character...Cloze! The map still has the W, S and E letters attached to the compass. I know that at some point during the multiplayer's lifetime, the W, S and E were removed. I hope I can get Cloze to tell me when all these videos were recorded.

The video cuts off too early so we don't get to see the icon here for General 1st Class.

Tsviet Promotion Exam

Cloze's main character again. This time in a 16:55 epic! Finally a high quality recording of the promotion exam to become a Tsviet. Nekomimi's recording has a far lower video quality.

With this, the only promotion exams we don't have recordings of are those that bring you to Trooper 3rd, Trooper 2nd and Trooper 1st.

EDIT: Cloze confirmed that the Trooper videos have not been preserved.

クローズ
Shadempさん、遅くなりましたが、動画をアップロードしました。

昇進試験の動画はすべて撮ったつもりだったのですが、今回改めてブログの記事と照らし合わせて確認したところ、DGトルーパー階級のものが残っていませんでし た。
(記事の本文の図もDGトルーパーが抜けているので、あとで修正します)
本来の階級は、以下の順になります。
DGドローン(DGD)
DGスカウト(DGSC)
DGトルーパー(DGT)……動画なし
DGコマンダー(DGC)
DGジェネラル(DGG)
ツヴィエート

よろしくお願いいたします。

(google translate)

Cloze:
Shademp, I got late, I uploaded a video.

Although I planned to take all the videos of the promotion exam, when confirmed with the blog article again this time, things of the DG troper class did not remain.
(Since the DG troopers are missing in the body text of the article, I will fix it later)
The original classes will be in the following order.
DG Drone (DGD)
DG Scout (DGSC)
DG Trooper (DGT) ...... No Movie
DG Commander (DGC)
DG General (DGG)
Tsviet

Thank you.

Last edited by Shademp; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:52 AM.
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #754
Shademp

Cloze found that the Trooper Promotion Exam videos were still on their harddrive, just in a folder they did not expect!

- Trooper 3rd
- Trooper 2nd
- Trooper 1st

Cloze has also been awesome and shared the exact dates when each video was recorded. This is great for version update research and for being able to place each video in their proper context.

Thanks to Cloze's work we have an almost complete collection of rank icons. The only icons we lack are for Drone 3rd Class and General 1st Class. The latter because the "General 1st Class Promotion Exam" video cuts off too early. I informed Cloze about this detail (via translation help from a friend) and we'll just have to wait and see if they ever re-upload a video that doesn't cut off prematurely (assuming that is not where the original recording ends).

Trooper 3rd

Trooper 2nd

Trooper 1st
Thanked by 4:
Flare (3 Weeks Ago), Tetsujin (3 Weeks Ago), The Twilight Mexican (4 Weeks Ago), X-SOLDIER (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #755
Shademp

Well that's just hilarious. XD

Source: Interview from 10 years ago

コンピレーション最新作は「Elegy of Cait Sith」?

野村:次は「EC、エレジーオブケット・シー」ですかね。
――えぇ?やっぱり今度は「EC」?
野村:DCが「ケルベロスの挽歌」なら、じゃあECは「ケット・シーの挽歌」。あのレッド13の立つ丘で、ラストはミッドガルに向かってケット・シーがニャー って。
北瀬:いよいよケット・シーの出番が!
野村:ニャーとか言ったことないですけどね(笑)

↑こんなに長くて充実したインタビューなのに、一番笑ったのがここでしたw

当たり前ですけど普通に坂口さんの名前が挙げられてますね。
スタッフといい現場の作業といい、FF7の頃はいろんなものがごった返してがむしゃらに進んでいった様子が伝わってきます。
なんというか、みんなが一番「挑戦」していた頃だったんじゃないかと。
10周年というと、野村さんが今の私と同じ歳だったわけで、なんかこう…いろいろ考えさせられる次第です。

(google translate)

The latest compilation entry will be "Elegy of Cait Sith"?

Nomura: Next is "EC, Elegance of Cait Sith".
- What? After all "EC" this time?
Nomura: If DC is "Elegance of Cerberus", then EC is "Elegy of Cait Sith". On the hill where that Red XIII stands, the last is going to Midgar and Cait Sith is meow.
Kitase: It's time for Cait Sith to finally come!
Nomura: I have never said anything like Meow (laugh)

↑ I had been the longest and fulfilling interview, the first thing I laughed was here w

It is natural, but Sakaguchi's name is listed normally.
It is good to work with the staff and good work, when I was in FF 7, it seems that various things crowded and it progressed to slash.
What I was saying was that everyone was "challenging" the most.
As for the tenth anniversary, Ms. Nomura was the same age as I am now, something like this ... It makes me think a lot.
Thanked by 3:
Ramza Beoulve (3 Weeks Ago), The Twilight Mexican (3 Weeks Ago), X-SOLDIER (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #756
X-SOLDIER

Holy shit, that's hilariously fantastic. Great finds as always!!

X
X-SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #757
Shademp

Moreso than most Dirge of Cerberus interviews, this one about Lost Episode really is a memory trip back to the ancient year of 2006.

Gamespot Interview
Q&A: Square Enix mobile strategist Kosei Ito
Last updated by Curt Feldman on June 23, 2006 at 5:16PM

Kosei Ito

Highlights:
We asked Kosei Ito, head of Square Enix's mobile game division, a bit about the company's approach to the marketplace. We caught up with the exec (who recently relocated back to Tokyo) one day after he presented Dirge of Cerberus: Lost Episode at the recent BREW 2006 Conference in San Diego.

GameSpot: First of all, we notice that Square Enix isn't the sole developer of the game. Why is that?

Kosei Ito: Dirge of Cerberus is a collaboration between the Square team that worked on Final Fantasy Before Crisis, based in Japan, and Ideaworks 3D in London.

GS: Why the split dev team?

KI: The Japan team has some great knowledge about Java, but when it comes to BREW, it's not quite up to speed. Ideaworks has a strong knowledge of BREW. Also, our team in Japan is great when it comes to working on 2D games, but Ideaworks is experienced working with 3D, especially on the technology front.

GS: Will there be different versions of the game based on territory?

KI: So far, we are planning to distribute the game only in North America. I created this title specifically for the North America market while I was here [based in Seattle].

GS: So it will never get a release in Japan?

KI: It may be released in Japan later on, but no plans have been made so far.
- Ideaworks wiki page

GS: What's your response to Microsoft's Live Anywhere initiative?

KI: Square Enix is a company that has always created new markets in terms of creative content and innovative technology--and we've done that every time a new console comes out. We are taking the same approach with this game and the mobile market.

GS: What's the long term plan for this game?

KI: After a few months in release as a single-player game, we will release a multiplayer version. However, it will not be able to connect with PS2, just mobile to mobile.

GS: What lessons did you learn from your previous mobile release, Final Fantasy VII Snowboarding?

KI: In my view, it was pretty good work. But when it comes to entertainment, the expectation in the US is higher than in Japan. People here won't accept "good enough" content; it has to be "wow" content that they have never seen before.

GS: How do you think the game was received?

KI: It was just "good enough."

GS: Why did you relocate back to Japan?

KI: To produce the upcoming title Final Fantasy Agito XIII, a mobile game for both Japan and North America.

Last edited by Shademp; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:41 PM.
Thanked by 5:
cremdogz (3 Weeks Ago), Ramza Beoulve (3 Weeks Ago), Teioh (3 Weeks Ago), The Twilight Mexican (3 Weeks Ago), X-SOLDIER (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #758
Shademp

While browsing for Lost Episode content I also found the website of "Mickey Blumental" who worked on this and other mobile games.

Their role in the development of Lost Episode was as simple as this:
I scripted the text in the cut-scene to synchronize it with the action.
Compare to other mobile games in their portfolio (System Rush Evolution, Project Gotham Racing Mobile and Resident Evil Degeneration) where Mickey had a deep hand in the designing of game levels and modes. It would be interesting to ask Mickey what they remember from the development of Lost Episode.
Thanked by 2:
The Twilight Mexican (3 Weeks Ago), X-SOLDIER (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #759
Shademp

Gamasutra - Q&A: Kosei Ito Talks Mobile Final Fantasy
June 18, 2006

GS: Are there any plans for any other Final Fantasy titles for mobile?

KI: Final Fantasy VII: Before Crisis, which is already available in Japan is coming to the U.S. before the end of this year.
YouTube Video

GS: Do you like working with mobile? Or would you rather be working on another platform?

KI: I actually like mobile the most. The platform is still changing on mobile… It’s getting better and progressing. The 3G handset spec is limited, so we had to concentrate on quality... for the game.

GS: So you like working with new mediums and shape the future?

KI: If it becomes possible to make a mobile game at PS2 quality, I would probably quit.

GS: What would you do then? Because at some point it will reach PS2 quality.

KI: I don’t know, I might quit the game industry.
YouTube Video
Thanked by 3:
Teioh (3 Weeks Ago), The Twilight Mexican (2 Weeks Ago), X-SOLDIER (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #760
Shademp

A comment to one of fiel2c's videos said that you can easier clear the Missilebreaker Melee mission by crouching behind the barrel, making it block all the missiles from the left and letting you aim freely at the missiles coming in from the right.

This inspired me to take the challenge a step further. What if there was a safe spot behind the barrel that shielded you from ALL the missiles?

Indeed, such a safe spot exists!

YouTube Video

Recorded using Elgato Game Capture. Unfortunately the screen is slightly stretched on the horizontal axis, so the game text looks more grainy here than in older console recordings. EDIT: Will see later if I can use the Windows 7 versions of Elgato Game Capture (where the stretching problem is not present) even though I use Windows 8.1.

When I was fooling around and not recording properly, I actually found the safe spot on the second or third try. Then it took me fifty more tries before I succeeded again and got the recording that you see here. Often you will crouch on a spot that shields from missiles for 1-2 minutes, then suddenly you'll get hit. You really have to find JUST THE RIGHT distance behind the barrel, while also not standing too far to the left or too far to the right.

Last edited by Shademp; 1 Week Ago at 02:20 PM.
Thanked by 3:
Teioh (1 Week Ago), The Twilight Mexican (1 Week Ago), X-SOLDIER (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #761
Shademp

Of all the Dirge of Cerberus purchases I have ever made, this one is definitely the weirdest: A press release document for the North American edition. The papers now arrived and I have promptly scanned all six pages.

Page 1

I have no idea which non-famous names and mail addresses should be blacked out, so I censored all of them. Then again it's possible you can already find this document online, but my initial searches were fruitless.

From the second half of page 2:
MARKETING AND ADVERTSING SUPPORT
The launch of DIRGE of CERBERUS us supported by an interactive web site that includes FINAL FANTASY VII tribute section for fans (http://na.square-enix.com/dcff7/). The tribute section includes questions about the plot of FINAL FANTASY VII which unlock footage from the original game when answered correctly, as well as a survey where fans can vote on their most memorable moments in the groundbreaking game.

The program includes a three-week television campaign from August 13 through September 3 on Adult Swim, Comedy Central, Fuel, G4, MTV, MTV2, Spike and WWE, print advertising in the September and October issues of top gaming media, and a unique rich media online campaign with a major presence on 1UP, IGN, Gamespot, GamePro.com, MySpace and UGO.
Yes, they spelled it "ADVERTSING". XP

MySpace... That's how you know this document is ancient!

Page 3 includes a section about Lost Episode.
DIRGE of CERBERUS Lost Episode - FINAL FANTASY VII -

Be the first to take a revolutionary step in mobile phone gaming! Available exclusively on Amp'd mobile handsets beginning on August 18, 2006. For more information visit www.ampd.com.

DIRGE of CERBERUS LOST EPISODE - FINAL FANTASY VII - was developed by a Square Enix Co., Ltd. team led by Kosei Ito in collaboration with Ideaworks3D Ltd., a BAFTA award-winning mobile games studio headquartered in London (http://www.ideaworks3d.com). For more about information about DIRGE of CERBERUS LOST EPISODE - FINAL FANTASY VII - visit www.sqexm.com/dirge.
"For more about information about"

Page 6 is devoted to "INSTRUCTIONS FOR ASSETS".

Images must be used exactly as they are provided. Any modification to the images is prohibited. This includes (but is not limited to) the cropping, discoloring, and "flipping" of images. Removing of descriptors (i.e. character profiles, game features) is allowed.

When using images and/or logos, include the appropriate legal lines provided below as a footnote to your article:

©2006 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved.
CHARACTER DESIGN: TETSUYA NOMURA
You can read part of this press release on an official Square NA site. Obviously my documents are more comprehensive, since they are intended for advertisers and reviewers.

Last edited by Shademp; 1 Week Ago at 04:05 PM.
Thanked by:
X-SOLDIER (1 Week Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago   #762
Shademp

Some might think that I've been idle because I have been posting less in this thread than usual. NOT SO!

I have spent a ridiculous number of hours these past few weeks with copying over Cloze's- and Mitchui's Multiplayer blogs over to Excel documents, along with google translations (refined by me) to each blog entry. Two weeks ago I finished copying over Cloze's blog and a few minutes ago I finally completed the behemoth that was Mitchui's blog. The latter was more time consuming than the former due to requiring more formatting. Thanks to having these blogs in their entirety in Excel docs, with translations included, I can easier look up and confirm data.

While doing this, I am also laying the groundwork for other features. I now have in-game screenshots organized according to the missions in which they were taken! Each mission folder (for the 2006 era) now has AT LEAST one screenshot inside it. Video recordings of missions are also included (when available). All this is preparing for the "Ranks & Missions" article.

Not counting map exercises, the online mode of Dirge had a total of 99 missions by the end of its lifetime. As far as I can tell, the Turk Vincent battle was never listed among the "ranked missions", but belonged to a separate type of battle table. The post-JORG, offline game has a total of 46 Extra Missions.

Last edited by Shademp; 5 Days Ago at 04:30 PM.
Thanked by 3:
Ramza Beoulve (5 Days Ago), Teioh (4 Days Ago), X-SOLDIER (4 Days Ago)
Old 3 Days Ago   #763
Shademp

Due to my unemployment, paying out of my own pockets has become increasingly difficult. Yet I desire deeply to pay translators and make more aspects of the DCFFVII Multiplayer available to an English-reading audience.

That is why I have now set up a Donate button at the DCFFVII Multiplayer Archives page (scroll down just a little bit to find the button)

If you donate the equivalent of 5 USD or more, you can have your name listed among the Project Donators. Just let me know what name you'd prefer to have there, or if you wish to not have your name posted.

Thank you for your consideration!
Thanked by 2:
Cthulhu (3 Days Ago), X-SOLDIER (3 Days Ago)
Old 2 Days Ago   #764
Shademp

That joy when you find another multiplayer blog and you go on a frenzy saving images and making sure that each blog entry is saved in the Internet Archive!

This blog does the courtesy of informing about specific changes made with the version updates. One entry reveals when the materia WT stats were changed from WT20 to WT400! The latter is the weight of online materia on the JORG disc (which represents late beta), while WT20 is what early beta screenshots show.

I really should learn more about how google does its searches. I did not find this blog via google, despite my many hardcore digging sessions. It was linked via the multiplayer blog by kupoa.

Last edited by Shademp; 2 Days Ago at 08:25 PM.