Persona

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Honestly surprised I couldn't see a thread for this series already. Or maybe I'm blind :huh:

So anyway, Persona 5 is getting some really good reviews. It's currently sitting at a 94 on Metacritic which beats Horizon Zero Dawn by 5 points and trails Zelda by only 3.

I've never played a Persona game but this was going to be my first foray into the series. Now I'm scared it'll be too good. :whistle:

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
I preordered that shit. First time in my life I ever bought a game retail. Huge fan of the last three games so I'm pretty stoked.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
I PREORDERED THE FUCK OUT OF THIS GAME

I just wish there was a PS4 bundle but I guess I'll stick with my Take Your Heart Edition HNNNNNNNNNNNNGH

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
I plan to pick Persona 5 sometime this year :awesomonster: on PS3 (a console I do own and its cheaper than a PS4 copy).
I expect it to be pretty good, I hope it can surprise me.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I played Persona 3. Enjoyed it very much. It was also a relentless grind, and I always felt I got my fill of it then, there's no reason for a main quest to take 100 hours, lol. The insta-death moves that every enemy has by the end that costs you hours of progress despite having a party full of people that know raise spells also didn't leave the best taste.

Also 4 and 5 don't have you shooting yourself in the head to summon your personae, so where's the fun in that? :monster:

(5 does of course look very stylish and well-made. Though I hear it still has the insta-kill-protag gameover bullshit so I'm sure it's no less grindy.)

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
4 is the game that everyone will obviously gush over (and Atlus followed the money ofc with multiple versions of that story kek), but 3 will always have a special place in my heart.

Technically the first Shin Megami Tensei game that I actually understood, I guess. :monster:

This is my first Persona game, and I'm about 8 hours into it (jut started April 22 or so) and I'm rreeally loving it so far. I thought the abundance of story driven content without much interaction would be a problem, but it's really not. I'm loving the story and really getting into it.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Persona 5 topped UK charts on the 14th week of 2017.

97% of P5 sales come from the PS4.
QfvzJK7.jpg

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
This is my first Persona game, and I'm about 8 hours into it (jut started April 22 or so) and I'm rreeally loving it so far. I thought the abundance of story driven content without much interaction would be a problem, but it's really not. I'm loving the story and really getting into it.
50 hours in and loving it just as much. :wacky:

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
This game is longer than The Witcher 3 and that took me forever to beat.
Because there's an in-game calendar it's really fucked my rl perception. Today I had to see more than three '420' social media posts before it clicked that it wasn't currently November.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
This game is longer than The Witcher 3 and that took me forever to beat.
Because there's an in-game calendar it's really fucked my rl perception. Today I had to see more than three '420' social media posts before it clicked that it wasn't currently November.

Yeah it took us two weeks to beat Witcher 3 and that was playing all day. I hit two weeks with Persona 5 tomorrow and I just started November so there's a bit more to go. I'm fairly certain it took me a week and a half to beat Persona 4 Golden and that was my first foray into the series. And Atlus said there's DLC coming for Persona 5.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
A JRPG that Yahtzee ended up enjoying. Yep, we're done here folks.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
this game is so fucking good that I haven't even beaten it yet and I'm already looking forward to playing ng+

and it's in my top 5 favorites of all time

I love this shit more than ffx and y'all mufuckas know I love me some god damn ffx

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Yeah I love me some FF, but this is probably the best jrpg I've ever played.
After sinking 100+ hours on my first playthrough, I immediately started ng+ :monster:

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
After 30 days and 97 hours, I finshed PERSONA 5.
  • Normal difficult.
  • LV98
  • All 5 social stats maxed.
  • 14 out of 21 confidants maxed.
  • All (non-confidants) Mementos request done.
  • Compendium 85% completed.

Bullet points impressions of the game:
  • Visually stylish and neat.
  • Dungeons are good...until they drag...
  • Turn Base system is solid.
  • Characters are solid but I feel the game puts too much emphasis on their Phatom Thievery dynamics over their individual/collective parthership/friendship dynamic.
  • Social and High-School simulation is still as solid as its two predecesors.
  • The story lacks strong commitment torwards its theme of rebellion. Ironically it (for me) feels imprisoned with no desire to rebel.
  • While the story is well writen, with enough exposition, development, engagement and other stuffs, it's painfully flawed in one aspect, subtlety. It's so heavy-handed it's not even funny.

My ranking of the Palaces in Persona 5:
P4>P1(Kamoshida)>P2(Madarame)>P6(Niijima)>P8(Mementos)>P3(Kaneshiro)>P5(Okumura)>P7(Shido)

P4: Futaba's Pyramid, is for me the best due to the puzzles (even if their only reason to be there is for padding), music and story about her mother behind it.
From there my liking of the others are tied to their lenght more so than its design and puzzles, the longer they are = the less I like them. Only exception being P4 despite being longer than the previous 3 palaces.

I would put Persona 5 on equal ground with Persona 3 and Persona 4 but I will say that out of them I like P3 slightly more with P5 coming behind.

If I had to give the game a score I would give the game a 8/10 which in my personal ranking equals to a Solid product in most fronts with a bunch of problems in other areas.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Persona 3

Hi all,

Is there already a Persona 3 thread? Well here's another. I really like this game. An article I wrote about it was just published over at Persona Central. Here is it:

http://personacentral.com/rethinking-persona-3-divisive-mechanics/

I spent a billion hours rethinking every sentence in that article, so I don't have much else to write about the gameplay. The story, on the other hand, I could write another two articles about!

I think my favorite part of P3 is the melancholic ending. I love how it's calming, yet there's definitely something really sad happening but you can't put your finger on it. Then as the credits roll you put the pieces together and suddenly it feels like there's someone standing on your chest. Good stuff.

Anyone else play Persona 3? What are your thoughts?

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought P3 mechaniques had a meaningful reason behind them :monster:.

For P3 is somewhere in my top 10 best RPGs and is also IMO the overall best Persona game in the series.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
We do have a general Persona thread here so I'll go ahead and merge this into it. ^_^

I've never played Persona 3 or any other Persona other than 5. I adored 5. What makes 3 the best?

Top Bottom