• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Modern vs. medieval RPGs

What type of RPG do you prefer?

• Modern

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Medieval

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
Which do you like better.

While I dearly love both, I'd say modern. Most of my favorite RPGs are modern ones, such as FFVII, Earthbound, and the Pokemon games.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Tough to say. I think both have their strengths and weaknesses. Games like FFVII and Deus EX Human Revolution are amng my absolute favourites. On the other hand theres FFTactics, Tales of Phantasia, Dragon Age, The Elder Scrolls series.

I think I enjoy both equally. Although you should probably add an option for more futuristic sci-fi rpgs. Cool thread idea though.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
I couldn't choose, to be honest.

Although this made me wonder what would a futuristic Legend of Zelda look like. :lol:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I prefer medieval. They tend to be more slash that thing, rather then shoot that thing. Given I have bad hand-eye coordination, I'm better at slashing stuff.

To be honest, I think this question is a bit misleading. I think it should whether we prefer turn-based rpgs vs. action rpgs. This is because there are a lot of rpgs (like FFVII) that mix elements of both the modern (modern technology and political system) and the medieval (naturally occurring monsters and magic). There also is a bigger difference between the two of them. Turn-based rpgs are centered more around manipulating stats, while action rpgs are based on how well you (the player) can aim for stuff and how fast you can do it.

An interesting article about what makes a rpg can be found here: Is Skyrim a Role-Playing Game? And it's not just about Skyrim either, and the rest of the guy's articles on gaming are well worth the read.

Carlos

I care not
AKA
That brown guy
hmmm thats a tough choice. I will admit though I love RPG's that have both modern and medieval characteristics. But if I have to choose one it will have to be modern.

Ghost X

I don't have a preference. As long as the storyline is good, and the gameplay is to my liking, it's all good.

AvecAloes

Donator
I'm not sure if I can make such a decision, either. It really depends on the storytelling. The first RPG I ever played was FFVII, which of course was set in a more modern environment, and I really got sucked into the story and gameplay. (Actually, it might have been the gameplay that I found to be the most rewarding during my first playthrough, as I pretty much had no clue as to what was going on the first time I played it.) But the second one I played was FFIX, which went back into the medieval setting, and I adored it as well. (that one's story I did manage to follow a little more easily. Perhaps because it was my second RPG? I don't know.) But anyway, I don't know that I could choose one setting over the other. It all depends on story, like Ghost said.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I agree that as long as the story's good, I don't care. I can think of favorites in both categories. FF7 and Xenosaga (futuristic more than modern, but whatever) are two of my favorite games, as are FFTactics and FF9, so it's not the setting, it's what you do with it.

The only thing that starts to get silly in medieval ones, imo, is that the ancient civilization was ALWAYS more futuristic than the current one. Why? FFX at least had a good explanation (more detailed than just 'a cataclysm'), but even FF7 couldn't get away without it creeping into the Compilation.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
To be honest, I would love to see some game where the ancient civilisation had some knowledge about something while still being less futuristic :lol:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
The only thing that starts to get silly in medieval ones, imo, is that the ancient civilization was ALWAYS more futuristic than the current one. Why? FFX at least had a good explanation (more detailed than just 'a cataclysm'), but even FF7 couldn't get away without it creeping into the Compilation.
This. The problem starts when ancient technology can do the same as modern technology, but without modern materials. That said, high levels of magic and technology can be really similar, so it depends what makes it more advanced. IE: in a modern rpg you use a flamethrower, in a medieval rpg you use a fire spell; same result, different method. For me it matters more how a civilization is more advance, rather then that they're advanced.

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
It was a tough choice for me too. There's so many good games in both genres. And I'm actually about to make a turn-based vs. action RPGs poll. And I consider futuristic RPGs in the same category as modern RPGs.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I have to admit, I do seem to favour the modern-setting RPG simply because settings involved tend to be more interesting than the classical fantasy setting and futuristic technology interests me more than some fantastical wahoo mumbo-jumbo.

But like GhostX said, if the gameplay/story/setting grabs my attention enough, I'll end up playing it regardless, which is why I can still put up with the likes of Dragon Age and the Elder Scrolls. But all that said, I absolutely adore the Fallout universe.

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
I have to admit, I do seem to favour the modern-setting RPG simply because settings involved tend to be more interesting than the classical fantasy setting and futuristic technology interests me more than some fantastical wahoo mumbo-jumbo.

But like GhostX said, if the gameplay/story/setting grabs my attention enough, I'll end up playing it regardless, which is why I can still put up with the likes of Dragon Age and the Elder Scrolls. But all that said, I absolutely adore the Fallout universe.

Which is exactly why I myself had a tough time choosing between Modern and Medieval, because I judge games by gameplay/story, not time period, but I tend to take an interest in futuristic technology as well. It's one of the reasons I'm such a huge Star Wars nerd.

Lex

Administrator
satsugaikaze said:

OMG this is exactly the way I feel about it and it's purely based on the way the characters are usually very badly written and the annoying stupid names of places and the obsession with having people speak a certain way. If I hear mention of things like "troll" or "trogdor" or something it just makes me want to firstly vomit, then flee in the other direction. Not sure why.

But I do enjoy your phrasing "fantastical wahoo mumbo jumbo" because it's both true and lol.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Not that futuristic technology can't be "fantastical wahoo mumbo jumbo." I hear that just as often. Again I say, the setting doesn't matter, it's what you do with it.

Lex

Administrator
This is where I'm confused on the issue. I love Game of Thrones and the various medieval inspired crap from that, (because talking like that is funny) but when I see it in a video game, I hate it. Strange taimu.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
It kinda depends on whether you mean medieval as in knights, dragons, wizzards and princesses or the more original fantasy-like without-laser-guns style, like in FFIX. Which has knights, dragons, wizzards and princesses, I admit, but at least they're the original variant. And it has moogles, too.

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
Dividing the FFs by whether they're modern or medieval FFs I-VI, IX, XI, and XII would be medieval, while VII, VIII, X, and XIII would be modern. Interestingly enough, the modern ones happen to all have had Nomura as head character designer.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I chose medieval but I really do like both. In general I prefer fantasy to sci-fi though.

Aesthetically I just find the old-timey look and feel of things more appealing that funky futuristic stuff (though like I said, I do appreciate the latter as well). Also as far as storytelling goes, I like to look at things like archetype and mythic stuff (magic!) which tends to be more predominant in fantasy-esque stuff, whereas modern/sci-fi stuff focuses on lots of environmental detail (technology!) and stuff that doesn't catch my attention quite as much.

Obviously this isn't always the case (Tolkein, Star Wars, etc.) but it's sort of a cliche I've come to associate with the genres a little bit.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I don't think X is quite modern. Old Zanarkand was, but current Spira is fairly primitive. It's just not a "European medieval," but southeast Asian. They have machina and stuff, but that's all holdovers from the aforementioned advanced ancient civiliation.
X-2 certainly feels more modern, but with Sin not wrecking things every 7 years there would be more motivtion for progress.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Speaking of which I'd choose fuckin hardcore steampunk over anything else any day

Why don't we have more of that industrial-setting shit :monster:

edit: I think I basically have an aversion to derivatives of high-fantasy elements, to be honest. I'm trying to wrap my head around the whole thing because clearly it's not the sole reason I'd prefer a 'modern' setting, but maybe because RPGs have had a predominant association with the medieval-slash-fantasy genre for so long that I'm more likely to look at a more modern setting as something different.

But yeah it also depends on the execution of the story itself. I love Game of Thrones because it's a mature series full of entertaining character dynamics and political intrigue, the former and latter of which seem to escape my notice in many RPGs of similar genre. The focus isn't really so much the swords and sorcery, even though it's certainly present.

Last edited:

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
X is a modern RPG, there are guns in it, among other things. The only guns that are allowed in medieval RPGs are laser guns fired from robotic constructs made by advanced civilizations, like with the Giant of Babil in FFIV.

Top Bottom