Who should compose the music for FF7 Remake?

Daikini-San

Currently in another Dimension
AKA
Iku-Ne
I'm sure there's a thread on this somewhere, but it's buried. However, I've been thinking lately that if Nobuo is not to compose the music for FF7 remake, then who should? I personally think Yoko Shimomura would be the next best person. She's the one who composed the KH soundtracks. Granted it's the same music and it's already written thus anyone really good could play the arrangements, but the consistency wouldn't be there. It wouldn't be the same.

Side note, I was lucky enough to have met Nobuo twice in my lifetime. He's such a great person to be around! :D

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I love Shimomura. I would totally be bhind her if that is the case.

However, I feel like they would probably be more apt to go with Takeharu Ishimoto. He composed the soundtrack for Crisis Core and did a smashing job of it. He already has experiences adapting songs from the original game, and his own pieces composed for CC were great. It would serve to keep FFVII feeling more uniform.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
I thought of Takeharu Ishimoto as well, but I'd like him to keep an orchestral quality to most of the tracks rather than adding in guitars like he's famous for.

I'm sure I'll be happy with whoever is chosen either way. But Yoko Shimomura is on fire right now with her work on XV.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I don't know what else Kazuhiko Toyama does, but I have adored all of his pieces in the Compilation. The World's Enemy, and especially
are Crisis Core's best tracks by far. I think another collaboration between he and Ishimoto with a greater emphasis on Toyama than Crisis Core had would be perfect.

People are afraid of "overrocking" with Ishimoto, and I get it, but I also don't think we want FFVII's soundtrack over-orchestrated either. Mako Reactor and Shinra Corporation need that industrial feel, Crazy Motorcycle and Hurry! have that techno feel, JENOVA with the eurotrance beat, and of course Still More Fighting is the straight up rock song. Then you give your Main Themes, your Weapon Raids, and your Holding My Thoughts in My Hearts to Toyama. I think that would be the best we could get outside of Uematsu doing it.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I doubt there's gonna be just a single arranger or composer working on this. I reckon it'll be a multitude of people working to translate Uematsu's music into higher quality.

Probably gonna be the likes of Junya Nakano, Kenichiro Fukui, Tsuyoshi Sekito etc.

Basically I expect a bunch of people who've been doing arrangements on FF games and such for a long time but most people don't know about rather than the high-profile names like Shimomura and Hamauzu.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Well at least with the remake he already has a whole soundtrack to go off; with Crisis Core he was telling a newer story with new(ish) characters.

Not to mention it was a PSP game, so they probably couldn't have a crazy extensive OST.

Pixel

The Pixie King
I think it would be interesting to have the straight remade soundtrack, but also throw in some variations on themes to fit specific scenes or low-key moments in the story. Like in Breath of the Wild, having very minimalist piano at times.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I know the OST's technically already written but still.. you can't unhear that (that being CC's OST). :hohum:

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
I don't think the OST will be exactly like the original.

Realistically speaking, they'll use a mix of old and new. I wouldn't be surprised if the new tracks to replicate the original style (with higher quality and all) to a certain extent.

As long as they do not butcher old classics and cut them altogether, that should be fine.

Top Bottom