Final Fantasy XVI development has not started yet?

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Taken from Siliconera.

Square Enix executive producer and Final Fantasy brand manager Shinji Hashimoto had a lot to share on the series during the Lucca Comics & Games 2016 which recently took place in Lucca, Tuscany, Italy.
Video here:

On Final Fantasy XVI

With Final Fantasy XV, Square Enix was able to fuse a setting that is both a modern and fantasy world in one. When it comes to main-numbered Final Fantasy games, the directors think of everything from scratch with each installment. That said, it doesn’t mean we’ll necessarily see a modern setting for Final Fantasy XVI. Hashimoto says that they haven’t made anything for Final Fantasy XVI yet, but to keep in mind that just because Final Fantasy XV has a certain setting, it doesn’t mean the next one will follow in the same way.

Hashimoto emphasizes the differences we’ve seen in main-numbered Final Fantasy titles by using VII, VIII, IX as examples on how we saw it go from a very steam punk cyber world in Final Fantasy VII and then back to more of a fantasy world in Final Fantasy IX. He says that this is something that directors might do on purpose to change things up for the series.

As far as the battle system goes, this is also something that is decided by the director, so it doesn’t necessarily mean Final Fantasy XVI will be more on the action RPG side as we’ve seen in Final Fantasy XV. Hashimoto says when they start work on a new Final Fantasy, they set the bar to make the ultimate fantasy of the generation with each installment. So if a director feels that a certain battle system would work best in the current generation, that’s the main system they’ll go with.
According to Shinji Hashimoto they have not made anything for FFXVI yet, so no pre production, no concepts. Do you think its true or is it some kind of misleading PR? Discuss.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I think considering how Final Fantasy VII Remake is gonna be a huge game and Kingdom Hearts 3 is still in major development, not to mention Final Fantasy XV had been in development hell for the past decade and is finally coming out in a few weeks from now and other projects to worry about(and the markets going all over the place now the US Election is over), Final Fantasy XVI is probably the last thing on Square's mind at the moment.

Besides, Christmas is just around the corner so it's very likely we won't hear anything on that until next year at the latest.

Lex

Administrator
I can't imagine this isn't at least in pre-production.

It's actually been stated in numerous places that they're "waiting to see how XV does" before even greenlighting a XVI project. I don't think these are official statements because it would have been bigger news, but that's certainly the opinion of all the "insiders" on NeoGAF, and I believe it's true for sure given SE's recent direction. I'm not surprised by this.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
I wonder if Squenix might have reverted to its old way of handling FF and opted to create competing prototypes which could either end up as the next FF game or something else depending on their perceived potential. That way, they won't be starting from ground zero after FFXV is finished -- there just isn't an FFXVI in development yet because the FFXVI project hasn't been chosen yet.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
They're probably first going to make a few dozen FFXV-based games and franchises. I mean they postponed what XV used to be so often in favor of FFXIII-2 and XIII-3, :wacky:.

I get the impression they've just run out of creative juices to come up with a new (ish) franchise once a year (or three years nowadays I guess).

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Yeah, this isn't really a surprise. They need to see the wider reception to XV and the battle system. And, regardless, there's going to be plenty of games and spin-offs in the pipeline. Didn't they just recently announce a XV MMO? Not to mention the pressures of working on - and getting right - the VII Remake. There's a lot on their plate at the moment. XVI must only be a minor thought if anything right now.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
They're probably first going to make a few dozen FFXV-based games and franchises.

Well, so far it's:
-FFXV
-FFXV Kingsglaive (film)
-FFXV Brotherhood (anime)
-FFXV A King's Tale (2D sidescrolling action game)
-A FFXV mobile MMO

And then also in the FFXV Universe:
-Justice Monsters Five (a pinball game that's a minigame in FFXV)
-King's Knight -RasuDora- (which is technically a sequel to a separate series, but it has no reason to exist if not for FFXV)

And if you wanted to bulk the list you could add Platinum Demo, which is a separate thing from FFXV, but it is a tech demo.

Nomura did have story ideas for beyond FFXV for his Versus saga, but I imagine those plans of his have been abandoned.

But all this stuff has been released or announced before even the main game is out.

When I heard that no work has been done on FF16 I was kinda pissed. I don't play most of the spin-offs (I played CCVII, DoC, X-2, XIII-2.... i think that's it). So I've been waiting a long time for games. For something new that's not an MMO, and also not a total disappointment like FFXIII.

c729761db388bd15cedf8104299c1409.png

So eleven games in the first ~fifteen years, and just four in the next. Given FFXV took over ten years to make, I wonder how long until the next.

And FFXV wasn't even meant to be a main series title. So they literally had no ideas after FFXIV was released.

I hear the view that they want to see how people respond to FFXV first before making commitments whatever. But Final Fantasy is a varied series. It's not like Call of Duty where how varied a game can be is only so small. They can make a game of any setting, with a variety of battle systems and mechanics, and from the minds of a variety of people (where the fuck is Hiroyuki Ito?).

I just can't see why they wouldn't have two main series games in the pipeline at the same time.

I will admit that it sounds like they put some effort into some of their spin-offs and some of their concepts do intrigue me... ... and then they go and release them on mobile so I'm instantly out. Nostalgia trips don't interest me especially, however I am going to give WoFF a chance because battle system, because PS4, and because adorable.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
King's Knight is actually an old game that is getting a remake so that it'll fit into the FFXV Universe, which is a first in Final Fantasy history.

Also, why is FFXV charted up to 2017 and not in 2016? Please tell me it's not getting delayed again, is it?

Unit-01

Might be around.
AKA
Sic, Anthony
Don't worry Tash, Square has taken our money, and we are 18 days out from the release. They wouldn't delay it again.

Last edited:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Took me a minute to realize that the white lines represented the game releases, and didn't correspond with the evenly spaced year markers. Seems odd that it would be organized that way, as they've never released more than one (numbered) FF in a single year.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Oh, God. I just bothered to actually click that Siliconera link from the opening post, and --

a FFX-3 is still being legitimately considered??

Fucking hell.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Oh, God. I just bothered to actually click that Siliconera link from the opening post, and --

a FFX-3 is still being legitimately considered??

Fucking hell.

Well, if FFX-3 becomes a reality, let's just hope that it won't follow the poor excuse of the audio drama or the weird novella of FFX-2 that doesn't make sense.

Then again, it'll just be silence all over again. Like how back in 2014 that Before Crisis Remake was considered when Square announced something until they just showed us a short-lived real ShinRa company in New York that didn't last long, except maybe a year if they're lucky.

Plus, the director of FFX and FFX-2 still hasn't announced the name of the new project he was attempting to reveal last year only to cancel those plans for years of silence for no reason.

Top Bottom