Polygon article on FFVII

ForceStealer

Double Growth
And here I thought that both Nomura and Tabata liked to go overboard, but as it turns out, Nomura is sane compared to Kitase and Nojima. XD

I've been saying this since the story about Kitase trying to get Zack to fight Jenova at Nibelheim in CC just because and Nomura had to tell him to knock it off. :monster:
Nojima I've generally considered to be pretty rational....but that FFX novel makes that a hard sell, "trolling" or not.

Tetsujin said:
Remember the dude here on the forum that was all like "they sold only 11 million. Was it a flop?"

Prompting ultima espio's flawless response in my sig :monster:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
And here I thought that both Nomura and Tabata liked to go overboard, but as it turns out, Nomura is sane compared to Kitase and Nojima. XD

I've been saying this since the story about Kitase trying to get Zack to fight Jenova at Nibelheim in CC just because and Nomura had to tell him to knock it off. :monster:
Nojima I've generally considered to be pretty rational....but that FFX novel makes that a hard sell, "trolling" or not.
So Nomura has two whole claims to his name for being the voice of reason now. :awesome:

Definitely the right call, though. He had proposed the great masterstroke of FFVII (killing Aerith), so it's good he recognized that so many additional deaths thereafter would just dilute the impact of both events.

Also kind of hilarious that Kitase wanted to kill off most of the cast back then when Advent Children brought back two characters believed dead from the original, and these days you can't even get these guys to kill off a bunch of nameless Turks in a gaiden. :monster:

Last edited:
Upon reading Nobuo's segment, I feel the moment is right to remind people that this piece of joy exists.

Alexander O. Smith said:
Almost 20 years after Final Fantasy 7’s release, Square Enix still requests that media outlets not use certain imagery of Aerith’s death scene in articles for fear of spoiling the surprise.
Well they missed a big f*cking spot on the backside of the PAL game case. :awesomonster:

That’s really the story of Square in those days. It’s changed a lot now. … There was so little communication between dev and localization. Localization didn’t even exist as a department back then. We were actually officially subsumed to this — oh my God, what was it? It was like an IT division or something ridiculous. It had nothing to do with localization at all, except that one of the programmers from IT was the guy that they roped into handling the single-byte character conversions and stuff like that. … You know, they were using GameSharks to hack FF8 so they could get to text because nobody would give them files. Because, “Oh, you need files to do translation?” That was news to the dev team at that point. So that sort of complete lack of communication was emblematic of those days.
OH MY GOD XD

When the movie [The Spirits Within] hit theatres, it was a critical and commercial failure. On the aggregate site Rotten Tomatoes, it earned a critic score of 44% and an audience score of 48%. Team members credit the reaction to three things: the story not appealing to a Western audience, the characters looking realistic but not like recognizable stars and the release being close to 9/11.

:bitchslapjoff3:

Last edited:
Phew, that was quite the epic and long read but finally I reached the end.

Is anybody going to write up a newspost for the "Final Fantasy 7: An oral history" item? I'm currently busy preparing a feature to be published on Saturday or Sunday, so if they create a newspost today for Polygon's article then it will still hold the spotlight on the frontpage up until the weekend.

Top Bottom