need cosplay opinions

TerraBranfordStrife

Terra + Cloud forever
I've never cosplayed before, but I was considering doing an Ardyn one if I have extra money to get a costume. The thing is, I don't look masculine at all, so I don't think I could pull off regular Ardyn, I'd probably have to do female!Ardyn. Do you think I should go ahead with it? Any tips from cosplayers as well? Thanks!

AvecAloes

Donator
I think a fem!Ardyn would be cool! I don't know how many dedicated cosplayers we have on the forums here, but I'm putting together my first cosplay now for Kupocon. I don't have much in the way of advice other than to search the intarwebz for blogs/videos/advice, look at other people's cosplays and glean ideas for your own, etc.

TerraBranfordStrife

Terra + Cloud forever
I think a fem!Ardyn would be cool! I don't know how many dedicated cosplayers we have on the forums here, but I'm putting together my first cosplay now for Kupocon. I don't have much in the way of advice other than to search the intarwebz for blogs/videos/advice, look at other people's cosplays and glean ideas for your own, etc.

Thanks!!!
Oh and have fun at KupoCon, unfortunately I can't make it this year (and I live right next to Newark dammit!).

Superespresso

The big lad
My only suggestion is to try and sew in your sleeve ruffles so that you can pair down as many layers as possible. Con rooms are warm and you'll want to try and get your costume to as few layers as you can to not overheat and sweat all over your costume.

A fem ardyn would be neat! You could also use makeup to give a more masculine illusion, as there are a few online shops that specialize in small facial prosthetic that would help if you wanted to go that route. Just careful with the makeup and sweating, again.

The biggest part of cosplay is to just have a good time. If you're spending an astronomical amount of money on a costume that you're just going to be miserable worrying about, unless you're entering a contest-- have fun with your design. Make it work for you.

I cosplayed Genesis about 9 years ago. Made the mistake of doing everything true to design, including wig and contacts (I'd never worn contacts before) and it was fun, but so.. so miserable. I was constantly worried about bumping into people. It was over a hundred degrees in the show room and I was in 4 layers of long sleeves, leather, and gloves. So.. my advice-- have fun.

You may be able to find some parts of your costume in thrift stores. Especially the scarves. Even if it's not 100% exact, thrift can look more realistic and lifelike.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney

The thing is, I don't look masculine at all
masculine
masculine

maxresdefault.jpg

In short, I think you will be alright, lol! Plus there exist alternate genders of everything so go for it! :awesome:

Superespresso

The big lad

The thing is, I don't look masculine at all

masculine

maxresdefault.jpg

In short, I think you will be alright, lol! Plus there exist alternate genders of everything so go for it! :awesome:

I snorted.

In all seriousness the only thing to really worry about as far as masculinity goes is that man has a thick neck and pretty broad shoulders.

ardyn.jpg

Eyebrows and nose bridge could also pose an issue if going for replication. Then again I don't know if it's just me being blind but he looks different in every piece of media I've seen. Game, cutscene, movie, guidebook, render.. they're all different! As long as you nail the hair and the coat I think people will get the idea.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
I don't think it matters if you don't look exactly like the character... if you want to cosplay as him and think you don't look masculine enough, it should be fine. Girls cosplay as boys all the time and vice versa... I mean unless you really want to do it that way.

But hell I've cosplayed as a cartoon horse so :monster:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Yeah, he looks different across everything according to my eyes too.

Don't fuss too much about achieving masculine when cosplaying to begin with, but especially not with such an eccentric character.

Top Bottom