• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

TLS Discord (More better than Skype)

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Because it's been mentioned many times in various sections, I went ahead and made a TLS Discord server. It makes chatting a hell of a lot easier than on Skype and the text chat is virtually the same, but with options for multiple channels.

https://discord.gg/qqGG2eb

Click clack the link to join. I made it with just a chat channel as well as one for FFXIV (requested elsewhere). If we want more channels it's no bother and I'll give people who are fussed permission to tweak with stuff. Do the thing.

Last edited:

AvecAloes

Donator
Ooo, I've used Discord for XIV before, and thought it worked super well for that. Love the existence of multiple channels.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I made an account and tried to join, but it says the instant invite is invalid or has expired? Not sure what to do.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I think it overwrit when I tried to send a different one earlier. I updated the first post with one that shouldn't expire.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I joined; thanks for setting up. Ryu made a test server for us a couple of years ago last year but it never got much activity. Hopefully this attempt will stick. :)

Last edited:

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
^I guess. I got the app and made an account just in case it turns into the new hangout XD

So, I joined Discord and it seems very nice. Odd choice of name. Anyway, I have a question. When they asked me to confirm my email, they sent me this message:

"Wowwee! Thanks for registering an account with Discord! You’re the coolest person in all the land (and I’ve met a lot of really cool people).
Before we get started, we’ll need to verify your account. To do so, click on the comically large button below or click this link."

Is this the kind of message all the cool kids like these days? I can't ever feeling thrilled to get a message like this, not even when I was eight years old. It feels like it's trying way, way too hard - like Virgin mobile faux-matey messages ("Wow. Hi there! We really love you, so just chill and listen to these great tunes while we try to find someone who can talk to you." Three hours later.....) or tumblr letting me know I have a new follower. (Fourtitsandbuttcheeks started following you. Swoon! Love, tumblr).

Why are these messages so awful?

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Those messages are awful and cringey.

Personally I like their loading messages when you boot up Discord. It's all gaming related like 'Smashing pots', 'delaying Half life 3' and there's bloody loads.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I dunno, I cracked up at the message telling me my friend request was dispatched with Discord's most elite samurai...........

:closedmonster:

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
So, I joined Discord and it seems very nice. Odd choice of name. Anyway, I have a question. When they asked me to confirm my email, they sent me this message:

"Wowwee! Thanks for registering an account with Discord! You’re the coolest person in all the land (and I’ve met a lot of really cool people).
Before we get started, we’ll need to verify your account. To do so, click on the comically large button below or click this link."

Is this the kind of message all the cool kids like these days? I can't ever feeling thrilled to get a message like this, not even when I was eight years old. It feels like it's trying way, way too hard - like Virgin mobile faux-matey messages ("Wow. Hi there! We really love you, so just chill and listen to these great tunes while we try to find someone who can talk to you." Three hours later.....) or tumblr letting me know I have a new follower. (Fourtitsandbuttcheeks started following you. Swoon! Love, tumblr).

Why are these messages so awful?

You gotta pay a price to get away from Skypes crappy resource hoggyness, bad codec/voice quality and voip infrastructure that is decade past its prime :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
You gotta pay a price to get away from Skypes crappy resource hoggyness, bad codec/voice quality and voip infrastructure that is decade past its prime :monster:

And yet, Discord is a webapp, which means it's slogged down by the overhead of the DOM, javascript, CSS, and a fat browser engine to run it all on :monster:. It says a lot about Skype when this is perceived as faster / better though.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
^. Pretty much. I never use the browser page xD

IIRC you cant use PTT in the browser and phone version as well as a few other things.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
The Discord app is probably the webapp running in an Electron container (a stripped down Chrome browser / web rendering engine), just like other apps I frequently use like Slack, Atom, VS Code, etc. Which have err, varying performance.

all I'm saying; discord and co have Good Enough performance, but a properly built native app could in theory have better performance. That would probably lack the cross-platform power though, since it's relatively easy nowadays to have a browser, desktop and crossplatform mobile app if you use web technology.

Fangu

Great Old One
Yawn.

I've been around since AOL. I understand Discord is THE NEXT COOL THING, but what really matters is availability. If you're gonna ask people to sign up for yet another platform, chances are they never will. We used IRC because the server we were on had an easily available web app (which later turned to shait), then later Skype because most people already have Skype, particularly after MSN was slaughtered. We always knew Skype has its issues, but the availability and easy access combined (with open group chats and a web ui) made ut suitable as a public chat. I'm all for Discord if it's easy to make new members use it and feel welcome, that was always my intention. Not to use the NEWEST SUPER KEWL CHAT TECNOLOGY oneoneone. I've only used it casually so I don't know if it has a web app we can link (channel in link that sets up a guest user), which I think should be a requirement.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I mean if were gonna be talking about the sewperkewl voip chat program that everyone is using these days we wouldn't even be using Discord. It would be a tie between Curse Voice and Slack, and heck Slack doesn't even have voice chat. It's just that popular :monster:

I'm not sure how a program that isn't a baseline pre-installed app on a computer (atleast as far as Win10 is concerned) is some how more ease of access than another program that also isn't preinstalled on the OS.

So the big ease of access thing for "new people" would be to say "Hey click our Discord invite!" , rather than "Hey download skype, install it , make an account , add one of us on Skype, wait for us to accept and then wait for one of us to send you an invite to our group chat" lol.

As far as UI , Ease of Access and just general quality of life differences Discord really just curb stomps Skype.

IIRC Skype still actually has a limit on the amount of people that can be in a group chat, I recall seeing that we had to delete long time AFK members to make room for more etc.

That's not an issue on discord. Want 200 people in? NP. Want those 200 people in 1 voice call to ruin your ear drums? NP. Want 100 different chat rooms in the over all server? NP. Want mods and staff to help manage it? NP

The list goes on. Skype was a good start but honestly program like Discord, Curse , hell even shitty af Raidcall are just far better and too robust to just not utilize. Especially when joining is literally as simple as clicking the invite link and spending 2 minutes to sign up. Hell I'm not even sure you have to verify your email to use it lol. You can do it all from your browser , and if you wanna go further you can download it as well.

Plus, Custom Smileys yo.

Fangu

Great Old One
I'm not sure how a program that isn't a baseline pre-installed app on a computer (atleast as far as Win10 is concerned) is some how more ease of access than another program that also isn't preinstalled on the OS.

So the big ease of access thing for "new people" would be to say "Hey click our Discord invite!" , rather than "Hey download skype, install it , make an account , add one of us on Skype, wait for us to accept and then wait for one of us to send you an invite to our group chat" lol.
What I said was, Skype is more easily accessible to a lot more people than Discord because a lot of people already have Skype installed, especially since MSN was eaten by Skype. People who wanted to keep chatting to their MSN contacts started using Skype instead.

Also I guess you haven't noticed that the group chat we're currently using is completely open, and you don't even need to download anything to use it. You don't even need an account. Click "Chat" above here and you'll see. That was the final thing that convinced me to drop #tls completely and move to something more users would be comfortable using.

IIRC Skype still actually has a limit on the amount of people that can be in a group chat, I recall seeing that we had to delete long time AFK members to make room for more etc.
The group limit is actually 300 for chat. For voicing, it's 25. But we're never that many people voicing at the same time anyway.

Especially when joining is literally as simple as clicking the invite link and spending 2 minutes to sign up. Hell I'm not even sure you have to verify your email to use it lol.
I had to verify my email.

Anyway if Discord has a web interface along with that open invite, it's starting to look like it's just as well to swap one for the other. I'm not super impressed with Skype, don't get me wrong. I've championed millions of campaigns to get people back into #tls, but, IRC is hard :monster:

Plus, Custom Smileys yo.
Well, that is something that will make a lot of people happy :monster:

Fangu

Great Old One
Also I just tested their guest feature. You do get an annoying screen asking you to download stuff with a tiny grey link that says "skip", but other than that, this works really well for guest users too.

Should probably send people to #chit_chat instead of the XIV chat though :monster:

I'd love for the main channel to be called #tls but that's purely for nostalgic purposes

It's probably also wise to keep the number of chats to a minimum.

Edit: I also expect we lay down some identifying rules as we did with the Skype chat. I have no time for special snowflakes who decide to dick around instead of just saying who they are on TLS :monster:

Last edited:
Top Bottom