• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Voice Acting Discussion

Pixel

The Pixie King
@1SteveBurton Man, ever played through FFVII? Just interested to know if Cloud has played as Cloud...
I have played some of the games, just did a VO for a new one yesterday!!!
https://twitter.com/1SteveBurton/status/806923538259058688
Not sure if this is for the remake or something else, but it's interesting.

He's also going live on Facebook today.

I missed his livestream, but he did mention doing some Cloud VO work on there.

Ryusuke

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Interesting. I wonder if it's for a trailer for FFVIIR or something.

But, yeah, I was actually impressed with what he did in World of Final Fantasy. Looking forward to how he improves in the remake

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Yeah, there's no man in the world who can voice Cloud in the english version than Steve Burton. And for a guy in his forties, he's actually cute.

I think the VA he's doing at the moment is for KH3 should Cloud return for the upcoming game, especially since KH3 has been in development longer than the Remake, and we've been hearing more of the former than the latter through out the entire year and hearing more of the former next year too.

But you never know. Or, maybe the VA is for a PS4 version of Dissidia Arcade(despite it not having a storyline).

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Burton is a well known soap opera actor: His job is to amplify emotions in whatever role he gets; Thats how soap operas work. So if he's going to be given a morose, nye suicidally nihilistic role, he's going to take that to the depths of hell in terms of his performance.

It isn't till you see him in games like Crisis Core and World of Final Fantasy that you realize he can give Cloud a certain quirky charm that's been absent in other games. FFVII being a broad storyline that isn't so condensed, will probably be the first time Burton is allowed to express a wide range of emotions.

As for everyone else? They've more or less slotted into place through Dissidia and Kingdom Hearts. They finally have a good voice actress for Aerith in Andrea Bowen, who gives her a unique twang that really points out the sort of eccentric independence of the character. She's sweet, but there's a definite note of sass to her.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I can't remember if this has been discussed already or not but I figured this was the most appropriate thread to post it in. But how should Cloud's "inner voice" be portrayed, because in the OG since all dialogue was text based, there was some intial (if not deliberate) ambiguity who Cloud was hearing (enough so that there are still misconceptions to this today, where some people think that Zack is talking to Cloud in his head). However, if said lines are voiced it will change a lot of how the audience will immediately react/interpret the voice. So should the the inner "true Cloud" lines be left unvoiced? Or if they should be voiced, should they be voiced by Sakurai/Burton, or perhaps should they use a different voice actor, say like whoever will voice kid/young teen Cloud (presuming that the other non-Nibelheim Incident flashbacks in the game will be voiced)?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Interesting question. I suppose they could heavily distort the voice with effects. Or if there's going to be a young Cloud voice I suppose that's also an option.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Oh god. I thought they stayed in midget form forever, but they transformed back and Cloud was still so tiny and aahhhhhhhhhhzdlkfgjbxrhnxfsocute!!!

Burton's voice work in WoFF is pretty good, I've noticed. I particularly love the scene with Lightning and... Terra, I think? The one where Lightning goes 'Does this mean you cherish us now?' Priceless.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Wish I could meet him. I like Steve Burton, because he is the only guy who can be Cloud's voice in media, Final Fantasy VII and Kingdom Hearts and what-not.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Oh look I'm the dissenter again. I would actually prefer the voice actor from the machinimabridged (Justin Briner) to Burton. Comedy or no, Briner's performance is actually dynamic, whereas I find that Burton delivers every line in exactly the same way, tone, pace, and urgency, whether it's meaningful or not. I know that Burton's had the part for almost 15 years now, but I've never taken to him.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
I can't think of anyone else that would voice Cloud and I don't want to. To me, Burton will always be Cloud's voice no matter what. Nothing will change that. Same thing with Quinton Flynn being the voice of Reno and Axel/Lea.

And I definately prefer Aerith's voice actress in her preformance of Advent Children and KH2, but then again, that's just me.

While I am aware that voice acting changing thing cannot be helped, but I hate it when extremely different voice actors replace the ones of my favorite characters that sound nowhere near like what I'm used to and it's just too cringy, like they're different characters.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA

And I definately prefer Aerith's voice actress in her preformance of Advent Children and KH2, but then again, that's just me.

*Staaaaaaaare*

Wh...wh.....why!?!?!?!?!

*Rolls eyes* Because I do, and like I said, that's just me. That's why.

Really, I don't see what the problem is in what I like. Everyone likes different things and different actors, you know.

Edit: Like how I prefer Steven Blum to be the voice of Vincent, and how I didn't like the voice actress they picked for Zelda in Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, but I don't make a big fuss over that.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I hate it when extremely different voice actors replace the ones of my favorite characters that sound nowhere near like what I'm used to and it's just too cringy, like they're different characters.

I know how you feel. For me, any voice at all is different than the one I created in my head for the text dialogue of the original, so maybe I should stop my whinging ^_^

(but to me it's important)

Steven Blum has been replaced?? I thought he voiced Vinnie in both AC and DoC...

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
I hate it when extremely different voice actors replace the ones of my favorite characters that sound nowhere near like what I'm used to and it's just too cringy, like they're different characters.

I know how you feel. For me, any voice at all is different than the one I created in my head for the text dialogue of the original, so maybe I should stop my whinging ^_^

(but to me it's important)

I sometimes get like that with other text games, but I get used to it after a while.

Steven Blum has been replaced?? I thought he voiced Vinnie in both AC and DoC...

I never said that Steven Blum's been replaced....at least not yet as far as I can tell. Nomura had planned on having most of the cast from Advent Children return to reprise their roles and yeah, Blum did voice Vince in AC and DoC.

The only ones I know that'll have their voices replaced are Red XIII/Nanaki since he only had seven words in total spoken which was AC, and Hojo since his Japanese voice actor passed away, and Paul Euding utterly hated voicing him, which I understand for that since I hate Hojo with a vengence.

Teioh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Teiocho
I don't visit the TLS facebook page so I haven't seen it from there. I'm sure someone was talking about it though, most likely I'm confusing conversations I've seen on tumblr and thinking I read them here. Thanks anyway :)

Misterbadguy

Phantom Lord
AKA
METEODRIVE
It legitimately bothers me that Mena Suvari will probably come back. She's the only VA from the Compilation titles that I outright don't like, and whilst in most of those titles she got away with it by virtue of not having a particularly massive role, VIIR is an entirely different kettle of fish. Even if you consider the possibility of them removing her more forthcoming attitude from the original game, she's still going to have a lot of dialogue, and honestly if she hasn't improved her performance since CC, then I'm gonna have major issues sticking with the English dub.

Top Bottom