Resident Evil VII

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Ooh ... I think I reached the same part last night.
I just got a key that should give me access to Granny's room - and that shotgun - so that I can handle the Molded.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
This game can be punishingly difficult, especially because you have to effectively rewire your brain from the recent installments positioning of 'moar guns / one-man-army / moar explosions!' and head back into something more slower, atmospheric - not to mention strategic with managing your inventory - combined with the constant Nemesis like presence of the Bakers.

I absolutely love it, and I've been scared more times than many recent Resident Evil titles combined.

But damn, in terms of difficulty that cage fight
was brutal. Ethan isn't the fastest guy to move about and react, so the confined space to take Daddy on, hiked up the difficulty ten-fold. Oh and the freaking massive weapon he wielded didn't help, lol. The chainsaw was a very satisfying moment - it felt like being thrown the Rocket Launcher in Resi's of old - but I love how even that wasn't an instant win. You still had to be careful, use your environment, and strike at the right moments.

This game is seriously good. I've now reached the backyard and have an option to use some of the located Antique Coins to buy some stuff.

Ghost X

I've seen a person beat the game using just a knife in some ridiculously short amount of time. Under 3 hours, iirc. Once you know how the enemies move, it is a lot easier. I recall doing something similar in RE4 and RE6.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
I've seen a person beat the game using just a knife in some ridiculously short amount of time. Under 3 hours, iirc. Once you know how the enemies move, it is a lot easier. I recall doing something similar in RE4 and RE6.

Now that's just crazy talk right there. :wacky:

I've done a knife only run many times in re4. I've played that game so much...

I didn't run into anything that difficult outside of my own stupidity that I talked about before. Only thing I can really think of is trying to find a weak point on a boss to finish it off. Spent more time than I should have just dodging it, and looking for the weak point.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Several 'I'm about to shit my pants' scares later, I'm about to go up against the third member of this deranged family. Though my heart still misses zombies, I'm absolutely loving the atmosphere and the overall quality of the game.

Oh but the Molded? ... I hate you. >__<

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
And so, the evil is put to rest ... for now.

Maybe, both in its short term or long term impact, RE7 won't receive as much seminal accolades as RE4 did, but the game certainly will be a pivotal moment for the franchise and its future direction. That was one hell of a scary ride that, even in the latter portions of the game, continued to strive in maintaining that balance (or rather unbalance) of atmosphere, uncertainty and scares even when you began to receive bigger weapons and bigger threats. The game is a magnificent return to survival horror (God, it makes me so happy to be able to call Resident Evil that term again) but also pushes the game forward and provides a path for future installments.

It wasn't perfect of course. Ethan is an extremely weak character who receives next to no development and whose reactions always seem slightly 'off', and there really is no reason why zombies could not have been used within the game alongside the Molded, but it is hard to severely knock the game down too much because of these negatives.

There are still a lot of questions and mysteries to be answered, but I feel that's one of the best parts of RE. The surprise segment at the end brought a massive smile to my face, and I'm eager to see how that ties into things, especially because
they adamantly went on and on about breaking all ties with the past characters going into this
. Interesting!

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Almost bought VII recently but I guess I'd better wait for that Gold Edition now :monster:
Maybe I'll get the Origins Collection on PS4 to tide me over until then.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Though I'm also on the bandwagon of not liking Chris's new radical facial change, I am looking forward to seeing what this side story segment will add to VII.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
My RE7 Gold Edition finally arrived!

I had skipped RE6 and thought I was done with the series at that time but I played this for about an hour and I love the atmosphere so far! Seems like a return to form.

I can't believe they stapled my hand back on...I do not think this is proper medical prodecure, dear Bakers.
ITogGvo.png

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Continued my playthrough.

That Baker dad fight in the garage was pretty neat. Tried getting in the car first - no keys. He pulled me out and I got shanked with a shovel.
Next try I got the keys and tried to break the garage door. Didn't work, so I tried to break through Daddy Baker. Pretty satisfying running him over several times. :P
Now afterwards I watched other people's playthroughs up until this fight and found out that if you don't get in the car quick enough, he can pull you out and then starts using the car against you! I like that there can be variations to this.
Also, when he chases you through the house he can cut off your leg and then gives you healing juice to glue it back on. That didn't even happen to me at all!
What the fuck is in that healing juice anyway? I wonder whether that's just purely a game mechanic thing or whether there's a story reason for this - they already did put my hand back on with staples and it's fully functioning now too...

Did the "Mia" video and got through without getting caught by Marguerite. Felt pretty intense. First person horror stresses me out a lot more! Felt that way about Alien Isolation too and haven't continued because of that. xD

Encountered the first "Molded" as well. That dark basement with all the black moldy goop and the squishy sounds creeps me the hell out. That bigger Molded in the incinerator killed me a few times. Shooting the legs made things fairly easy though.

So far I'm still loving the atmosphere in this. I feel constantly on edge in this house. Finding my way through the house with all the locked doors, having to find keys and maps and doing weird puzzles that open secret passageways etc really gives me that classic RE vibe despite the first person gameplay being another radical change in gameplay. I'm glad they decided to do this instead of going further down the RE5 and 6 route.

XnOKLAM.gif

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Triple post because fuck it

CHAINSAW DUEL WITH JACK BAKER YOOOOO

M3h6bC8.gif

This fucking game, haha

Also, that feeling when you finally get a shotgun
g4YqUut.png

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Really glad that you're loving it Tetsujin, as the atmosphere and scares in VII is simply brilliant.

I still need to get around to playing the Not A Hero DLC.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Finally finished the main game. Really loved it. Return to form for RE confirmed. =P
Bring on RE8, 9 etc. in the same style!

Minor complaint though: I have read people criticizing the enemy variety and I guess I kind of agree. The Molded were pretty creepy slinking around through the darkness but it gets pretty samey after a while.

I got Ending 1 which I assume is wholly dependent on the choice to save either Mia or Zoe before the ship. I like that they're doing multiple endings again!

Also, the REmake ending theme playing was a nice touch.

So, since I skipped RE6...why the hell is Chris part of Umbrella now? Why does Umbrella exist at all? I assume that happened in 6? I may have to hit up a Wiki or something...

Also, nice of Chris to say his name because I sure as hell wouldn't have recognized him. Different face, different voice. Why does Capcom keep doing that? RE characters seem to change voices more often than their underwear. Why is it so hard for them to just keep actors consistent?

Anyway, I wonder what happened to Lucas? I guess that may or may not be part of the DLCs I still have to play. I like how his diaries hinted that he was a psycho way before the infection and that in the end he was only pretending to be under Evie's control.

Also, that escape room he built was pretty fun to do...I kinda want an RE-themed escape room game in real life.

Preferrably without the death and violence though. =P

Feels good to know that there is still side content to play in addition to replaying the main game for trophies, unlockables etc. Good times.

Edit:
omg I only now realized I could've upgraded the broken shotgun with the second repair kit! THAT's what the toy shotgun was for! *slaps forehead*
I never found out where to use the toy axe either, just looked it up now haha

Last edited:

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Definitely a return to form! :D

I'm seriously excited to see them expand and evolve what they have injected into VII and place it firmly into the next incarnation. My only concern though is that though the game has reviewed quite well and gotten several awards, I'm unsure if the 'action' portion of the fandom loved it as much, so the next game could be tweaked back into a direction that I've not enjoyed as much. I know it's difficult to find that balance, but RE seems to have split into two main camps because of the different styles of the games, and pleasing both is going to be near impossible. But we'll see.

Yeah, I personally hated the severe lack of variety on the enemies (and I desperately miss my Zombies) and the decision to not include any sort of personality or development for Ethan. But I loved it despite those minor issues.

So, since I skipped RE6...why the hell is Chris part of Umbrella now? Why does Umbrella exist at all? I assume that happened in 6? I may have to hit up a Wiki or something...

I've not played 6 either, but as far as I'm aware, the
is supposed to shed some light on what he is up to now, and also following up on Lucas

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Also one little thing I remembered:

I really liked how the keypad in Lucas' escape room area straight up used the RE2 menu sounds! So nostalgic.

Also, not exactly an expert on accents and shit but it seemed to me that Zoe's accent seemed to come and go and generally sound kinda unconvincing?

Last edited:
Top Bottom